[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed the livestream. Will backread and comment on today's episode. Although it was safe to say from the beginning that HY had to be a God, only then could he be a legitimate opponent to HB, in love and otherwise. But if he is the God of fire, his characteristic is direct opposite to it, which is interesting. One would assume the God of Fire to be short tempered and rash instead of so cool and calm.

1 minute ago, YourHighness . said:

I missed the livestream. Will backread and comment on today's episode. Although it was safe to say from the beginning that HY had to be a God, only then could he be a legitimate opponent to HB, in love and otherwise. But if he is the God of fire, his characteristic is direct opposite to it, which is interesting. One would assume the God of Fire to be short tempered and rash instead of so cool and calm.

Maybe its only his mask. He is probably living on the human Earth for so long and he knows everything about human beings and he knows how to be cool and calm but in reality we'll see his true colors soon - I feel it

45 minutes ago, dramu51ch0c10ve said:

It's like a back hugging triangle!

HY back hugs SA, SA back hugs HB, HB back hugs...

...HY?:tongue::lol: (Hehehe)

45 minutes ago, ayoko094 said:

Tomorrow will be back hug day :D

LOLOLOLOL. Back hug day tomorrow indeed! :lol:

@dramu51ch0c10ve hi chingu! For sure..SA selling the land means big trouble. I am now starting to think if by doing that, will it trigger another disobedience and curse like it did when HB'S mom cursed the human family? Haha you sure have a lot of questions as I do but I will wait until the sub episode to see if any has been answered :D

@kaoriharang With HY'S little power being shown to us, it may seem like he is a strong God. Also, it is possible he may be older than HB right? Judging from the look of HB in the preview, he was shocked that HY has powers, unlike his reaction toward MR and BR. He knew they were Gods and will recognize them from anywhere, he said. But with HY..he seemed taken aback. So maybe HY is a God that only the elders know of. Like..HB heard of him but never met him because he was not born yet. Also, as we speculated, HY may be the representation of God Shin Nong who was meant to be the emperor of the realm. So maybe HY was exiled long ago before HB's time? I think he used to be part of the Realm but could no longer be a part of it. I also explains how ancient his power may be and why that caterpillar burned after being flicked off. Is it also..possible that cousin of his..is actually Shim in disguise? Something feels amiss here about her to me. She must play a bigger role.

56 minutes ago, ilwoo_aein said:

Tomorrow night episode will be full of tense and cute moments. Habaek finally found out that Hoo Ye is a God too and he's very surprised with Hoo Ye's power. Meanwhile both Habaek and Soo Ah already have feelings for each other. Amusement park date and scene of Soo Ah back hug Habaek..So sweet! :heart: What makes me curious is; does Habaek realize that he falls in love with a human? I remember he said to Soo Ah, "Don't fall for me, because if you do there is no cure. " Look who falls for whom? :lol:

I don't think Hoo Ye will give up that easily. He has feelings for Soo Ah and i guess he will be the one who will fight against Habaek so that Habaek can't be a King. I'm so excited! Can't wait for tomorrow!

Hahaha. I am wondering if HB is even aware that he is falling for a human :D sorry HB, there is no cure too if you fall for her lol. I also think HY will not give up too easily. If he fights HB in order for him not to be King..then can it mean all this time..HY has been waiting to be King too.

Very exciting pace now! Mix with sweetness and intensity :tongue:

Edit

@ayoko094 haha i agree. These Gods can use her to their advantage so easily hence being a mere human being will be hard to go against the almighties. I feel that being confused and indecisive is human nature and as a human being as she is, confusion and indecision is natural. I have seen her stronger side too (firm, smart, blunt..) which I will like to see more of. It is the balance between her character and it will be right to show her weakness as well as strengths :D I also think HY knew exactly what he was doing. Otherwise why will he want that land..for sure..it is not just to build his property. The land is now his property. Indirectly, on earth, he holds the upper hand now. 

@YourHighness . Chingu! You are here too now! Yup. If HY is Fire, then he is a strong opponent to HB. Fire and Water are both in need of each other, and yet both are strong too. Water puts Fire out..but if the Fire is hot enough, even Water cannot destroy it. I think of a burning house (water puts it out) and then lava (where it still burns even in water) haha. And of course as always, I am looking forward to your insights on the episode :wink:

4 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

@dramu51ch0c10ve hi chingu! For sure..SA selling the land means big trouble. I am now starting to think if by doing that, will it trigger another disobedience and curse like it did when HB'S mom cursed the human family? Haha you sure have a lot of questions as I do but I will wait until the sub episode to see if any has been answered :D

@kaoriharang With HY'S little power being shown to us, it may seem like he is a strong God. Also, it is possible he may be older than HB right? Judging from the look of HB in the preview, he was shocked that HY has powers, unlike his reaction toward MR and BR. He knew they were Gods and will recognize them from anywhere, he said. But with HY..he seemed taken aback. So maybe HY is a God that only the elders know of. Like..HB heard of him but never met him because he was not born yet. Also, as we speculated, HY may be the representation of God Shin Nong who was meant to be the emperor of the realm. So maybe HY was exiled long ago before HB's time? I think he used to be part of the Realm but could no longer be a part of it. I also explains how ancient his power may be and why that caterpillar burned after being flicked off. Is it also..possible that cousin of his..is actually Shim in disguise? Something feels amiss here about her to me. She must play a bigger role.

Hahaha. I am wondering if HB is even aware that he is falling for a human :D sorry HB, there is no cure too if you fall for her lol. I also think HY will not give up too easily. If he fights HB in order for him not to be King..then can it mean all this time..HY has been waiting to be King too.

Probably he doesnt know, he doesnt know ''symptoms'' of falling in love so he is probably wondering whats going on with him xd

19 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

BTW, did we hear HB say not to come near my woman in this episode? Cause I did not hear it. I guess the last line HB said to HB was about recognising or finally knowing who he is already.

There was this scene at the end of the preview of HB and HY arguing and there was tears in HB's eyes. So I am unclear of their relationship. I am not sure if HY and HB's relationships goes deeper than that. It is clear that HB did not recognise HY at first sight like he did for Mura and BR. So clearly, either HB does not remember or that HY is not part of the realm which HB is commonly associated with.

I am incline to go with the idea of that emperor either that just some other god that perhaps left the realm or got banished. But clearly HY's powers is much greater than HB (as said in the preview) which means he may be a higher god than that of HB. But a lot of questions for sure, i think we will definitely see more and will get to understand more once the subs are out.

13 minutes ago, ayoko094 said:

Probably he doesnt know, he doesnt know ''symptoms'' of falling in love so he is probably wondering whats going on with him xd

good point he has always on said about SA falling in love with him, but he probably never suspected it to be the other way round. But I am sure HB is beginning to know of his feelings I mean with the truck and then that scene where he saw HY and SA. True he was also upset about the land but i am sure there is some underlining feeling of jealously as well.

I want more sweet moments, it is clear that SA is affected by HB's presence and nearness so there is love growing on her side, now it is just HB's turn.

26 minutes ago, YourHighness . said:

I do believe HY has a hidden side, it seems to be slightly hinted in the preview for tomorrow. As much as he is cool and calm and interested in human kind unlike the other gods. he does seem to have a darker side to his personality.

Firstly Habaek is really attentive to minute details that led him to believe that Hoo ye also a god. while neither moo ra who had been working under him ever doubted.While bi ryeom seemed to know she brushed him off saying he just a human in the dressing room (I think that's what i understood from my poor hangul skills) added to that `..

THE thing that left me shocked was  (if) hoo ye is fire god... that again leaves you with two different and opposing elemental gods water vs fire. and if i remember properly ju dong in manhwa was god of fire unlike here where is he guardian god of earth... :ph34r:

And that blind girl who came in episode 1 i really think she will play very significant role in habaek becoming emperor and even in the preview they show, her ...

and what is the relationship of hoo ye and that child?

and woah why did shin ja ya gets hugged by hoo ye? twist in the plot?:tongue: and why is hoo ye and ha baek fighting.?  please don't tell me  hoo ye wants to become emperor.. because now that he owns the land... he has the gateway in his hands.. I really don't want him to turn bad..

these were my raw ideas since i didn't watch with subs and bit of lagging here and there...

I really can't wait for subs..^_^

@dramu51ch0c10ve and @ilwoo_aein thanks for recaps and clips chingu..

45 minutes ago, YourHighness . said:

Although it was safe to say from the beginning that HY had to be a God, only then could he be a legitimate opponent to HB, in love and otherwise. But if he is the God of fire, his characteristic is direct opposite to it, which is interesting. One would assume the God of Fire to be short tempered and rash instead of so cool and calm.

(If Hooye really is a fire god...)

I looked up on google and found that fire generally represent both positive and negative traits.Active,Passionate,Authoritative,Enlightened,Brings Warmth but can also bring about Destruction.These are just a few that I've found which seems to fit Hooye.You can google more to find other traits. I didn't find one that says fire represents being short tempered although we often associate the two.In fact,one site mentions that fire is a Celtic representive of the concept of unification of polarities/striking a calm balance between two opposities withing human awareness. (http://www.whats-your-sign.com/fire-symbols-and-meanings.html ) Therefore,my theory would be that if Hooye is a fire god,it doesn't mean he's hot tempered.He's merely been planning his moves and waiting patiently for the day that he will get what he wants.

Water,on the other hand, represents purity,high adaptability,transformation,blessing,subconcious and flow of life. Anyone with relation to this symbol often have great power but also great obstacles to overcome. One also has layers to his character,wisdom and can 'naturally see what others tend to overlook completely'.Thus,their unexpected and startling observations makes some uncomfortable. (https://www.buildingbeautifulsouls.com/symbols-meanings/five-elements-symbolic-meaning/element-water/ ) These few traits sounds a lot like Habaek too.

1 hour ago, kaoriharang said:

BTW, did we hear HB say not to come near my woman in this episode? Cause I did not hear it. I guess the last line HB said to HB was about recognising or finally knowing who he is already.

There was this scene at the end of the preview of HB and HY arguing and there was tears in HB's eyes. So I am unclear of their relationship. I am not sure if HY and HB's relationships goes deeper than that. It is clear that HB did not recognise HY at first sight like he did for Mura and BR. So clearly, either HB does not remember or that HY is not part of the realm which HB is commonly associated with.

I am incline to go with the idea of that emperor either that just some other god that perhaps left the realm or got banished. But clearly HY's powers is much greater than HB (as said in the preview) which means he may be a higher god than that of HB. But a lot of questions for sure, i think we will definitely see more and will get to understand more once the subs are out

I, too, am inclined to believe if HY was exhiled or HB never knew of his existence but only heard of him orally. But judging from the preview, i cannot help but feel there is distance between them. So if he didn't recognize HY from the beginning, can it be he forgot him? Or can it be that HY is just a facial disguise..like plastic surgery haha (i know, silly example). I think HY may be stronger than HB or even the same level. Yet my instinct that HY is a higher God draws my attention more now. HY was able to hide his Godly identity for awhile so I am wondering exactly what made him expose himself to HB. Haha i need subs now!

1 hour ago, dramu51ch0c10ve said:

(If Hooye really is a fire god...)

I looked up on google and found that fire generally represent both positive and negative traits.Active,Passionate,Authoritative,Enlightened,Brings Warmth but can also bring about Destruction.These are just a few that I've found which seems to fit Hooye.You can google more to find other traits. I didn't find one that says fire represents being short tempered although we often associate the two.In fact,one site mentions that fire is a Celtic representive of the concept of unification of polarities/striking a calm balance between two opposities withing human awareness. (http://www.whats-your-sign.com/fire-symbols-and-meanings.html ) Therefore,my theory would be that if Hooye is a fire god,it doesn't mean he's hot tempered.He's merely been planning his moves and waiting patiently for the day that he will get what he wants.

Water,on the other hand, represents purity,high adaptability,transformation,blessing,subconcious and flow of life. Anyone with relation to this symbol often have great power but also great obstacles to overcome. One also has layers to his character,wisdom and can 'naturally see what others tend to overlook completely'.Thus,their unexpected and startling observations makes some uncomfortable. (https://www.buildingbeautifulsouls.com/symbols-meanings/five-elements-symbolic-meaning/element-water/ ) These few traits sounds a lot like Habaek too.

I tried to tag you so that I didn't quote the links too but my phone is acting up lol. Hmm..as far as I know from my literature studies..Fire does symbolize passion, enlightenment, warmth. At times it also does represent rashness and short tempered. Not all culture may carry the same symbolic meanings however i have come across stories where Fire was used as a descriptive term for being short tempered. Hence, nowadays people use the context 'you are too hot tempered.' It runs along the same ground as being short tempered hence causing the damage  (like fire burning away). I do agree too. HY is not seen as hot tempered but if he is the Fire God, his burning personality will eventually come out. Living in the human world may have taught him how to suppress his feelings which I am now thinking is why he wants to learn how to have humor. Humor..in a way is the counterattack against a hot tempered attitude. He may come off as calm and strategic but i think this is all him suppressing himself from his real self. 

As for water..it is also true. It represents purity and flow of life. And is always mostly used in literatures/cultures as a transparent reflection of reality and fantasy. In the case of HB, he is a Water God. So as you said, he has the ability to see what one overlooks. But as he has this ability, it is easy for him to cloud reality and fantasy which then contributes to his resolution to get the stones without respecting much of the human world and having no care that to the humans, they know no world of the Gods. Of course as he is a flow of life too..he is starting to see there is 2 life that flows: humans and Gods. 

Again..just information on my learnings :D:wink:

And yasss!! 100 pages!! :D

Just finished to watch it RAW and I need the subs soon now. Wonder what the blood on the Stone means? Maybe one God got hit - they will not let the Earth God suffer from amnesia right? So was there a fight?

I loved to see the jealous Ha Baek oh and that last evil smile. Let me think - I wish to see him fighting on one time. I still believe the CEO is a Earth God. he needs the Gardening as Ha Baek needs the Water and all the Gods needs there Element (is the Sky God in secret half a Water God - he is always swimming :D )

3 hours ago, blademan said:

:( as much as the possibility of it happening is almost inevitable, I really don't want IJH's character to turn negative! But I guess he has to...for the plot to move along...pfft.

I second this. I would hate to see him go dark but i think it is inevitable :( he was probably already dark to begin with.

3 hours ago, ayoko094 said:

Haha. They say those who has not truly fallen before..will fall harder :wink: will this be our HB? :tongue:

1 hour ago, vangsweetie637 said:

I second this. I would hate to see him go dark but i think it is inevitable :( he was probably already dark to begin with.

Haha. They say those who has not truly fallen before..will fall harder :wink: will this be our HB? :tongue:

He is already deeply in love with her, probably he can also sacrfice himself for her, Its that he doesnt realize it yet, what is this feeling :)

6 hours ago, YourHighness . said:

Perhaps he is simmering atm.

*Badum chhhhhh*

Okay yeah, bad pun.  Sorry.

In other news, looks like the episode isn't up yet where I usually watch it, sooooooo... *twiddles thumbs*

7 hours ago, ayoko094 said:
Spoiler

Can someone translate preview, please?

I haven't watched this drama intensely enough yet to recognize whose voice belongs to who, so apologies for that.  Also, sorry if someone already translated this.

Anything I put in brackets [ ] is implied and not explicitly stated.  Anything in ( ) is just me talking out loud LOL.  It should make more sense when you read it.

Spoiler

Male voice: So you're saying you already knew?

Female voice: No way.

Male voice: Alternate identity!

Female voice: (Another) identity?

Male voice: Yoon So Ah...

Male voice: The same way we're suspicious about his relationship with Yoon So Ah.  (I think it's along those lines)

Male voice: Her relationship with the hotel CEO, is it tender?  (Or something along those lines.  More literally translated it would be "With that hotel CEO, is it a tender relationship?")

Male voice: They must also be curious about your connection with Yoon So Ah. (or wondering about this). (This one was really weird for me to translate because I get what they're saying, but not sure how to put it into English.)

Female voice: That leaving together we couldn't do...what do you think about doing it tomorrow [instead]? 

Male voice: How is it they know all about who I am?

Male voice: Your identity, reveal it.

Male voice: You're saying they're stronger than Habaek-nim?!

Male voice: The [extent] of my powers—looks like you haven't heard a thing about it!

Male voice: THAT STRENGTH!  (Also "power" could be used in this context, maybe.)

Female voice: Habaek!  Stop it!  (Or could be "that's enough"/"enough is enough"/"I told you to stop")

After watching this episode with sub, it is confirmed that HY is indeed a God. And he has something to do with the human blood on the rock. 

Haha. Nam Soo Ri looking so confused when HB and MR are beating around the bushes with the 'God' they are discussing about. I felt the same way!

In the end, HB tells HY 'I caught you. I said, I caught you.'

Yep. HY is a God. And he seems to be one that the elders know more about because it seems like no one has really seen him before. So with this, HY is most likely stronger and higher than HB, and more ancient. The reason he is so calm is to make sure his identity is not found out. Hence, perhaps he is less calmer in truth. Notice how he says he loves the trees because it embraces the bugs and such. But when he saw the caterpillar on the girl, he swat it off with haste and..was it with disgust too? I think he only loves plants and trees. But cannot stand the things that comes with it. So..in deeper terms, he loves humans and is fascinated because they live together with everything else..but cannot stand the Gods who wants to be a part of the human world or sees themselves higher than the humans :blink:

@kaoriharang dongseng, judging from this episode alone, seems like HY is indeed a much more ancient God than HB, and perhaps stronger. He went into hiding and for what ever reasons, seems like even the Gods didn't expect him to be present in the human world. 

Edit

Some of you guys asked for a translated preview. Here it is :)

I am curious as to why HY has the blind girl with him. :huh: Is he her protector??

Archived