[Current Taiwanese Drama 2016] Behind Your Smile 浮士德的微笑

rocs25

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest phoiphoi
3 hours ago, quartz13 said:

We've reached the end. :bawling: I still wonder why they deleted the rose scene (imagination). 

Does anyone know why they no longer show the BTS after each episode? At least we still have one more BTS! 

We need a SEQUEL!! :heart:

@alex325: Thanks! 

Well, yea I guess that's a wrap!

I'm also looking forward to see the BTS of the last episode. I wonder why Vidol hasn't post it up yet now that all the episodes are already aired. Usually they post a BTS on Saturday. I hope they will upload it faster this time!

I just realised that I like the entire cast.. I mean they all did a great job portraying their role. Good job, good job BYS cast!

7 hours ago, Annie Choice said:

Last episode was too rushed.Not even a kiss. And they wasted more than 50% time on XY which wasn't needed. :(

6 hours ago, sherry2468 said:

Honestly, I'm quite disappointed with the last episode, there were too many things to cover within one episode. The entire episode just seem so rushed. There was too little screen time for our main couple sighs. I was expecting at least one kiss but they didn't. Oh well, at least it's an happy ending.

Seriously? Not even a kiss? Are they kidding me?! Ohhh.... I already feel disappointed even though I didn't watch it yet. Seriously, are they kidding me?! They only have like, what, 3 kisses in entire drama?! 

Urgh..... I want to punch someone please ...

6 hours ago, sherry2468 said:

I felt so sad when the episode ended, like.. I've watched quite a lot of Taiwan dramas but my sadness never felt this strong, I don't know why. I even had the urge to cry omg lol :( 

Anyways, I just wanna say a big thank you to everyone in this forum!! Honestly, it's my first time joining a forum because of a drama hehehe. It's been fun knowing all of you, and reading all your analysis, and everything.

Thank You! ♡

Me too! I have a depressed week as I waiting for the last episode. And another depressing week for not able to watch this drama after this. :(:(

I want to thank you to all members in this forum. You delighted me and you always make me happy! :)

It is always fun to read all of your analysis, it helping me more to understand in certain scenes that I did not understand. Even though it is a pain waiting for the drama every week, but you guys make it enjoyble.

Thank you everyone... *tearing*

Yes, this would be a good episode to wait for subtitles. I felt the beginning and the ending were smooth sailing, but the in-between was choppy and some things unnecessary to the point where I'm not sure it's worthy of discussion (well honestly, the extent of the Tang bit for me was a bit ridiculous).

I question why Tang couldn't be taken down earlier, in EP18 even. And when did ZYT become careless about Tang when he was warned (about LXY being his weakness) in the earlier episode? There's nothing for him to lose in grabbing a hold of LXY, but I see it in his character to clear all possible threats before moving forward safely. There is actually no real closure for LXY and LM, between mom and daughter. I wish there was time spent focused on LXY's coping with the aftermath and XYT just loving her through it as she settles with it all.

Spoiler

I didn't like that dream device used as a shortcut to get LXY to be more willing to accept her place beside XYT.

I feel empty, not just because it's all over, but I think it's also a mixture of regret that the pacing was disrupted and delighted that the final ending scene was very heartwarming (even though the led-up to it wasn't as exciting nor thorough as what we've been used to all drama long). Yet, I admit I can't say I'm devastated. I love ZYT and LXY very much.

One thing I enjoy most about BYS is it taking its time to let things take its course, so as to have them seem more natural. There wasn't that "time" given in this episode. But another thing I love about the drama that was consistent in this final episode is it not forgetting about significant things or events: 

Spoiler

-Every time I see the Healthy Farm sign, I tear up a bit.

-Xiao Bi making a comeback was what I've been waiting fo most. :wub: 

-The promise or deal that ZYT and LXY made in their beginning, as @alex325 helped to sum up. (Thank you!)

I'm sure I'll have more questions after watching with subtitles. XD But I'm generally keeping positive. I think watching them do the Vidol live watch helped, lol. I hope we get a BTS for EP19 as well!

P.S. Yeah, all the near-kiss teasing and no kiss! @akirabita There are 4 instances of kisses in the drama. If you count how many time their lips touched, I'd say six. :lol:

@beijinhos Where are you? You must have lots on your mind.

3 hours ago, Herlin said:

after BYS, I recommended you guys to watch "memory loss" drama starring bai yu and yang rong.. their chemistry is so good and lot of kissing scene:tongue:

But do they have eng subs for the drama?? Subs get really delayed for memory lost :/

hi everyone, 

So sad BYS ended. :cry: Tbh, I was a little bit upset with the ending. But I have no complaints with Mr Tang, XY/SZW or PY/XM scenes because It came out in the earlier part of the episode. In my opinion, I wouldn't feel bad if the last scene was spent for Xinyu and Yiting alone together being sweet, cute or lovey-dovey to each other. I would be smiling like a fool afterward. "Sigh" 

No matter what, BYS is still one of my favorite series of all time. :)  So happy to be part of BYS community here at Soompi. It was more fun because of you guys. Hope we meet again in another drama and talk like we used to talk here. I'll be missing all of you. Know that I'm happy to meet you and hope you are always fine. Virtual hugs everyone.Lavyah! :heart: :)

10 hours ago, songielove said:

P.S. Yeah, all the near-kiss teasing and no kiss! @akirabita There are 4 instances of kisses in the drama. If you count how many time their lips touched, I'd say six. :lol:

6?? :o I can remember 5... Couch, light house, 2 before the puzzle and one near lift.. when was this 6th one? :o 

Just want to ask, I've read on Facebook says that the rating of BYS's last episode is 1.73. Is it correct? *just guessing as I do not know the language*

If yes, can someone explain to me how the rating of Taiwanese drama works? For instance, did the 1.73 is consider as high rating in Taiwan? I know how rating in Korean drama works, but not Taiwan drama. I've been searching about Taiwan drama rating for ages, but mainly they explain in Mandarin and I can't understand it. :):):)

Errmmmm.. I dono what to say about the episode... I felt it was rushed... :( The drama defo needed 20 episodes to give full romance and to show the Tang scenes..

Anyhow, I loved the idea of proposal in front of the family ... It was cute ... Will defo miss this drama and entire cast..

1 minute ago, hppatronus said:

6?? :o I can remember 5... Couch, light house, 2 before the puzzle and one near lift.. when was this 6th one? :o 

hahaha... okay.. near six, how come I miscalculate all their kissing scenes?

for 6, maybe another one included at the light house? Because there ZYT kiss her two times? Am I correct?

Guest phoiphoi
53 minutes ago, akirabita said:

Just want to ask, I've read on Facebook says that the rating of BYS's last episode is 1.73. Is it correct? *just guessing as I do not know the language*

If yes, can someone explain to me how the rating of Taiwanese drama works? For instance, did the 1.73 is consider as high rating in Taiwan? I know how rating in Korean drama works, but not Taiwan drama. I've been searching about Taiwan drama rating for ages, but mainly they explain in Mandarin and I can't understand it. :):):)

Yea, that's an interesting question. You guessed it right, 1.73 is the rating for the final episode and also the highest rating they ever received, but I don't know whether or not that's considered high either. I'm curious about it too. I'm not very sure but I'm guessing that BYS is one of those rare Taiwanese drama that's also popular overseas, because there are other T-drama's with even higher ratings than BYS but not very well-known outside Taiwan.

59 minutes ago, phoiphoi said:

Yea, that's an interesting question. You guessed it right, 1.73 is the rating for the final episode and also the highest rating they ever received, but I don't know whether or not that's considered high either. I'm curious about it too. I'm not very sure but I'm guessing that BYS is one of those rare Taiwanese drama that's also popular overseas, because there are other T-drama's with even higher ratings than BYS but not very well-known outside Taiwan.

Hmm, I think 1.73 is considered above average? But the overall ratings for this drama over 19 weeks is considered average. Not too low, but not too high either. 

Yup, I would consider BYS quite popular overseas, because honestly its so rare to see a Taiwanese drama forum so active in Soompi, and also I've seen many overseas fan talking abt BYS in Instagram. But tbh I think this drama isn't that popular in Taiwan because there isnt much discussion/talks about it, on forums, etc. 

I think the other factor why this drama isnt that popular in Taiwan because theres too little promotion, be it from the media or from Sanlih itself. And... Taiwan media are more interested in Marcus's rumour instead of the drama itself. Talking about this, I was so angry a few days ago!! During the wrap party, reporters asked Marcus about his rumours. (aka his r/s with his co-star in Back To 1989, im guessing most of you know about it already?) What angered me was why would you ask about his relationship with another girl when his current female lead is beside him? Couldn't you have asked him seperately? Eugenie looked so awkward in that video and the captions in the video is so irrelevant i cant help but to roll my eyes oops. I feel so bad for her, like... Where's the respect?! Kudos to her for maintaining her cool. Oh and they even had the face to post the video onto Eugenie's FB page. And that wasn't the only time that happened. It happened countless times. Honestly its so disrespectful to the entire drama team, especially to Eugenie imo. 

I rewatched EP 19 last night. I still really love the ending scene. I also like certain other scenes and elements ( @songielove mentioned some above). However, I'm disappointed overall. I was thinking maybe my expectation was unreasonably high. This morning, I decided that, although my expectation was perhaps too high, the episode still falls way short of the drama's typical standard. I need to vent. Major spoiler alert.

Spoiler

Tang -  The whole Tang thing is just stupid. Maybe they decided that, since ZYT's dad is killed in a car accident, it would be a fitting end for Tang to die in the same way. Fine. But, like @songielove said above, it could have been taken cared of in Ep 18. Knowing that there is only one more episode left, why couldn't they just have him killed off quickly and be done with it. That whole kidnapping is not necessary and poorly executed. He could have been hit by a car while running away from Hong in Ep 18, for example. Or, they could have ZYT station people outside of LXY's apartment to protect her, and when Tang shows up and they try to catch him, he gets hit while running away. Over in a few minutes. It wouldn't have been a satisfying end, but at least it would not have disrupted the flow and mood of the final episode.

XY - Why did they decide to let LXY and ZYT find out about XY's feeling for ZYT in the last episode???!!!! It does nothing for the plot. It's not like her feeling plays a big role in the LXY/ZYT/XY dynamics throughout the drama so it requires a resolution. Even so, it's not something that can be easily pushed aside once it's out. But it is revealed and then glossed over in the episode. WHY??!! :angry:

XY/SZW - I ship them. They are adorable together. But, why give us a last-minute buildup of a potential romance and then leave it open-ended???!!! Given the time constraints, they should have just skipped that whole part and leave them just as friends.

XM/YN - Again, given the time constraints, that whole thing with different vets could have been left out. Very cute and funny, but not in the last episode when there are more important issues to resolve.

Tourette's - Not addressed at all. :(

LM/LXY - @songielove Totally agree with you. It would have been awesome to see LXY working through dealing with LM's confession/arrest with ZYT's love and support. It's hinted at in EP 19. In one scene, ZYT tells LXY that Auntie has some pudding for LXY to bring to LM and he will drive her to visit LM. I wanted to see more of that. There would have been more time to devote to it if the Tang, XY, and XY/SZW things were left out.

Rebuilding of the farm - Again, it is briefly addressed in Ep 19. The EP does show LXY and ZYT working together to get a new contract with the cafe chain that started the whole thing. Really wanted to see more of that.

LXY/ZYT moments - Not enough of them. We can never have too much of LXY/ZYT sweet moments. These moments could also have been shown through ZYT helping LXY coping with her mom being in jail and rebuilding of the farm.

They tried to squeeze too much into the episode. Given the time constraints, I would have been fine if the episode were focused on LXY/ZYT, LM/LXY, and the farm, and the other stuff were left out.

*sigh* I still love BYS. It's definitely a drama I will revisit again and again. You are all wonderful too! I will definitely miss the thread.

Guest phoiphoi
7 minutes ago, sherry2468 said:

Hmm, I think 1.73 is considered above average? But the overall ratings for this drama over 19 weeks is considered average. Not too low, but not too high either. 

Yup, I would consider BYS quite popular overseas, because honestly its so rare to see a Taiwanese drama forum so active in Soompi, and also I've seen many overseas fan talking abt BYS in Instagram. But tbh I think this drama isn't that popular in Taiwan because there isnt much discussion/talks about it, on forums, etc. 

I think the other factor why this drama isnt that popular in Taiwan because theres too little promotion, be it from the media or from Sanlih itself. And... Taiwan media are more interested in Marcus's rumour instead of the drama itself. Talking about this, I was so angry a few days ago!! During the wrap party, reporters asked Marcus about his rumours. (aka his r/s with his co-star in Back To 1989, im guessing most of you know about it already?) What angered me was why would you ask about his relationship with another girl when his current female lead is beside him? Couldn't you have asked him seperately? Eugenie looked so awkward in that video and the captions in the video is so irrelevant i cant help but to roll my eyes oops. I feel so bad for her, like... Where's the respect?! Kudos to her for maintaining her cool. Oh and they even had the face to post the video onto Eugenie's FB page. And that wasn't the only time that happened. It happened countless times. Honestly its so disrespectful to the entire drama team, especially to Eugenie imo. 

Oh wow, only average? I think BYS deserve a lot more recognition..

Btw, yeah, I noticed it too. Reporters keep asking about Marcus' gf XD I think they will never stop. It's indeed very disrespectful towards Eugenie and the other co-stars, but she handled it well by just ignoring it.

And now all that we have left is BTS of episode 19 :cold_sweat:.....................

36 minutes ago, sherry2468 said:

I just watch that clip just now! Even I did not understand what they were talking about, but I can guess by looked at Ivy Shao picture on that clip. And I guessed they were talking about his previous co-star, but Eugenie really looked awkward there! Like, super awkward! I have not seen Eugenie's face like that before. Like, we all know she is a goofball, but seeing her like that in awkward face really make me pissed off! where's their manner? 

But can you tell me what kind of question they asked? And what Marcus answered?? Also what caption did they put in?? Dying to know!!

12 hours ago, songielove said:

@beijinhos Where are you? You must have lots on your mind.

Hi Softie!

Well, I haven't watched ep 18 subbed, and after seeing the ep 19 preview of Tang in his snazzy black and white Sherlock Holmes hat (where did he buy that hat? and especially on the run!), I decided (even though I would like to accompany my forum chingus to the very end) I decided not to watch either ep 18 subbed, or ep 19 raw or subbed.

I think BYS is the very best drama! But I think it suffers from other considerations, and they are money and ratings and the decisions based on those former two considerations. Other dramas from this same director (and that to my mind are not as great as this one) were able to run (and didn't need that many episodes to complete the story well) even to 24 episodes. Why?

I would rather complete this story in my head for now, and that's why I haven't been reading posts and/or commenting.

As you know, Softie, because you and I have been reading each other's posts well, I have had problems staying with BYS, and it has nothing to do with the quality of the drama, but more on its pace and telling the story in a way that matched the wonderful pace of storytelling and characterization in the first part of the drama. I would have (if I were watching this on my own) left the drama at the Panda Scene, or at the very latest, the Elevator Real/False Scene (at the time of those scenes, BYS was still slated for 16 episodes). That would have been the end for me. I stayed for my chingus here because this has been so much fun and I felt some kind of connection to stay and see this through.

I thank everyone here, including my lurker friends, for all the wonderful energy we have shared! I will check back in the next several days for any "mentions," but for now, I don't have anything to say about the last 2 episodes.

Archived