[Drama 2017] The Ruler: Master of the Mask /The Emperor: Owner of the Mask 군주:가면의 주인

Go Seung Ji

[Spoilers] Ruler (Pilot)

Spoiler

0003533752_001_20170510230414567.jpg

Screen+Shot+2017-05-10+at+2.10.29+PM.png

Osen via Naver: 'Ruler' first episode, Yoo Seung Ho enters sageuk fantasy 

1. [+3,331, -195] Yoo Seung Ho's acting is great, Kim So Hyun and L were no joke either.. Plot is compelling and OST is just awesome too

2. [+2,923, -168] Would've been perfect if not for the ads in the middle. It's been a while since I watched such a good drama... Feels like it's going to be a big hit but my only worry is Yoon So Hee's character

3. [+2,366, -151] Yoo Seung Ho is really handsome, I like his vocalization too ㅜㅜ  I'm watching Ruler for Wednesdays and Thursdays

4. [+2,285, -131] Whether it's sageuks or contemporary dramas, there's nothing that Yoo Seung Ho can't tackle. Voice, visuals and acting are all incredible

5. [+1,802, -147] Well-acted and well-written story

6. [+741, -58] L's acting wasn't bad, no words needed for Kim So Hyun and Yoo Seung Ho but Yoon Soo Hee's a bit of a disappointment... the drama itself is interesting!

7. [+688, -56] No doubts about Yoo Seung Ho and Kim So Hyun and L did pretty well too ㅋㅋ But what is with the ads.. it broke the flow

Spoiler

201705102302286614645_20170510230250_01_

Herald Pop via Naver: 'Ruler', Yoo Seung Ho and Kim So Hyun's destined first meeting... ill-fated relationship with L

1. [+422, -20] Honestly, L's so much better now compared to before. The male and female lead are handsome and pretty

2. [+358, -20] Exceeded my expectations

3. [+363, -23] L's acting has improved by a whole lot...  You can tell that he's working hard!! Ruler fighting!!

4. [+309, -14] Hit daebak Ruler~~ Myungsoo and Seung Ho fighting ♡

5. [+312, -17] Everyone did well, I'm so happy to see L's improved acting ㅠㅠㅠ  Myungsoo reads comments, I hope he sees only the good ones. Fighting and love you

6. [+132, -7] Interesting first episode. I'm surprised how much L's acting has improved, he was natural and matches well with historical dramas

7. [+110, -6] I worried about L for nothing.. I'm so proud of him ㅎI'm sure he'll give his 100% in everything he does

cre: kkul-jaem

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to see the great reactions from the pilot episode...Yoo Seung Ho is always great so i had no problem in respect of his delivery...L indeed got better,i see he worked on his way of delivering the words,his intonation,in the past that was part of his problem...he is indeed more natural than before...A big thumbs up in my book...

Still a bit sad the encoding teams(NEXT) choose not to merge the two parts into one single episode just like they did with the other shows in the same timeslot,this two parts kinda ruin the pace also we get like 40 episodes

guys, I'm so happy about the ratings (most dramas can't even his the double digit for pilot episodes nowadays) but I also can't help but to feel anxious. I hope the story doesn't weaken halfway especially with the expectations so high after the pilot. if it all goes right it looks like MBC is finally out of it's ratings slump.

lol there's this article on Naver, basically saying that this drama will follow the moon embracing the sun's success. 

http://m.entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=112&aid=0002918747

I'm so sure it won't be as successful as TMETS, but it's still good to know that people are leaving positive responses, even in the article.

4 minutes ago, an05 said:

guys, I'm so happy about the ratings (most dramas can't even his the double digit for pilot episodes nowadays) but I also can't help but to feel anxious. I hope the story doesn't weaken halfway especially with the expectations so high after the pilot. if it all goes right it looks like MBC is finally out of it's ratings slump.

lol there's this article on Naver, basically saying that this drama will follow the moon embracing the sun's success. 

http://m.entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=112&aid=0002918747

I'm so sure it won't be as successful as TMETS, but it's still good to know that people are leaving positive responses, even in the article.

If Koreans think that, believe them. They're who are deciding ratings not international viewers. :wink:

Can someone clarify the episodes for me? Is there going to be a total of 40 episodes then and each of them will only be thirty minutes? Or is it just this week that they will be doing this thirty minutes episodes? I am one of the confused ones, Miky88. 

to be honest.. I'm torn between Ruler and the other drama on the same time slot, I want both to do well rating-wise :bawling:

But I already feel the good vibe from this drama, I hope it is true it will hit daebak like TMETS..I watch many of both YSH and KSH project in the past, and they were both on I miss you drama too so I'm very eager too saw them both in this drama..

16 hours ago, Tram92 said:

Can someone clarify the episodes for me? Is there going to be a total of 40 episodes then and each of them will only be thirty minutes? Or is it just this week that they will be doing this thirty minutes episodes? I am one of the confused ones, Miky88. 

If the usual encoding teams that provide us with the episodes don't encode the next episodes aka taking out the commercial part or merging the 2 parts as a normal one episode,stuff i see they do with the other dramas on the same slot,that have the same rule now,we'll get the 40 episodes of 30 and 25min that are part 1 and 2 of one full episode actually but some name it episodes so,becomes way more confusing..The main issue is in the encoding as they choose how it is and i am very sad they choose to keep Ruler like this...Takes away the whole pace even more if u want to keep it or used till now all this time...Quite the shame

@sakura2016 Thanks very much for the clip of the press conference.

Great to read that the first episode receive good ratings,  hope the positive response will continue.

@an05 Love your post.   I don't think there is a confirmed date for the release of HCY's OST, but I do hope it will be released before his mini-concert here in Singapore on 28 May so that he can sing the OST :)

Just finished part 1. Will watch part 2 after phone is charged lol

But awwww..someone give that baby an award. How can a baby act so well? The dying scene made me tear up. I have a soft spot for babies so when i saw that baby not moving..omo. and then i was so happy when he woke up. 

And did anyone notice the dad of the girl in the end is actually the eunch from Goblin? Lol. I was wondering why he look so familiar and then i remembered where he was from haha. Thank goodness he looks alive.

I will finish up part 2 first then will spazz my thoughts :)

PELICANA1982 SNS update with "Ruler: Master of Mask" Kim So Hyun

C_gj8AXUAAAjFnQ.jpg

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Ruler: Master of the Mask" Episodes 1-2

photo847607.jpg

Dae-mok (played by Heo Joon-ho) is the grand wizard of a massive conspiracy. Dae-mok is not literally a wizard, he just seems like one because of his mastery of spooky hallucinogens and a massive spy network capable of making these creepy physical effects pop up out of nowhere. So when Yoon (played by Kim Myeong-soo) makes a deal with Dae-mok to become King, out of sheer paranoia, Yoon ends up forcing his son Seon (played by Yoo Seung-ho) to wear a mask, murdering anyone who sees Seon's face. Then Dae-mok's granddaughter Hwa-goon (played by Yoon So-hee) enters the picture and-

Whoa! I gotta stop with the plot summary. The crazy thing is, that's just the first episode. "Ruler: Master of the Mask" and "Suspicious Partner" are running half hour episodes for some reason but all the same. With all the slow-paced dramas I've been watching lately it's frankly kind of shocking to see the production team for "Ruler: Master of the Mask" get so much exposition out of the way so fast.

Read full article >> http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-ruler-master-of-the-mask-episodes-1-2-105828.html

"Ruler: Master of the Mask" Yoo Seung-ho meets Kim So-hyeon-I

photo847547.jpg

Yoo Seung-ho and Kim So-hyeon-I met at last.

The episode of the MBC drama "Ruler: Master of the Mask" on the 10th showed the unfortunate Prince Lee Seon (Yoo Seung-ho) who has to live with a mask on his face.

Lee Yoon (Kim Myeong-soo) made a deal with Dae Mok (Heo Joon-ho) to become king. Dae Mok warned him about the Jin flower's poison and asked if he would still join the compilation committee. Lee Yoon said, "Alright, I promise not to kill the hunting dog even after the hunt".

In the end, Lee Yoon made a pact with Dae Mok and became king; that's when their ill-fate started. Dae Mok asked for the Chosun waters in return for Lee Seon's life and the king had no choice.

The king spread rumors that poison had affected the prince's face to get him into the compilation committee and to save him from threats. He ordered anyone to be killed if she or he saw the prince's face and that's when the prince had to live with a mask on his face.

However, Lee Seon didn't know why he had to live on with a mask on his face. He cried to his father about the mask and asked how long he had to wear it.

Lee Seon struggled to find out why he had to wear the mask and in the end, he switched clothes with a servant and ran out of the castle. Lee Seon then ran into a fight and ran away with peasant Lee Seon (L) and fatefully met Han Ga-eun (Kim So-hyeon-I).

source: http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-ruler-master-of-the-mask-yoo-seung-ho-meets-kim-so-hyeon-i-105814.html

INFINITE’s L Reveals What Brings Him And Drama Co-Star Yoo Seung Ho Closer Together

yoo-seung-ho-infinite-l-xpn.jpg

On May 10, INFINITE’s L held a V Live broadcast titled “Kim Myung Soo X Ruler: Master of the Mask,” where he explained how he and fellow “Ruler: Master of the Mask” cast member Yoo Seung Ho grew even closer together.

“What Seung Ho and I have in common is that we both have cats, so we always share cat food or snacks with each other. We were close from the beginning, but it’s also true that our cats made us even closer. It’s that time of the year when cats shed, and we recently shared stories about that with each other,” L revealed.

infinite-l2.jpg

As revealed previously by Kim So Hyun, the cast members promised to wear their costumes and hold a fan signing event if they gathered over 20 percent ratings. In addition to this promise, L took the chance to explain what he would do if the drama got over 25 percent viewer ratings. He said, “I will also make a personal promise. If we get over 25 percent ratings, I will dance while wearing king’s clothing and a mask.”

source: https://www.soompi.com/2017/05/10/infinites-l-reveals-brings-drama-co-star-yoo-seung-ho-closer-together/

Haaah! all right everyone, just to let you know... I took a leave from real life stuff, just so I can watch live and raw episode later. Wooh! It's brilliant YSH after all!

@andy78 @Jillia  thank you for the live recaps episode 1 <3 I like whenever @andy78 does recap there's always that terms of (un)endearment for the baddies of dramas hahaha :tongue: Excited for later!  

I actually haven't watch episode 1 yet but I will do in a little while. But wait   there's episode 2 already???? but  tonight is episode 2 right????

Archived