[Drama 2017] The Package 더 패키지

Go Seung Ji

7 hours ago, luvtokki said:

“The preparation period was long so I met a male actor after long time.

"My preparation period was long, (since she was cast first) so it was a long wait before I finally got to meet the male lead."  (Weibo Chinese translation)

If you haven't, do check out http://justjyh.com/xe/home 

specifically these links for news and beautiful pictures

http://justjyh.com/xe/views/460984 (LYH's comments on JYH) 

http://justjyh.com/xe/views/460409 (LYH's comments on JYH)

http://justjyh.com/xe/acting/460690 (pictures)

http://justjyh.com/xe/acting/450964 (Chief Producer's interview on JYH)

He said he didn't want an actor just acting San Maroo, but an actor who could be Maroo.  He saw YH on tv and thought he could become Maroo, the latter he described as "quirky, honest, innocent and pure". Seeing the outcome, he was happy and satisfied with his choice to cast YH as Maroo. 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee Yeon Hee revealed  that in the past her parents seldom if ever commented on her performances, but on the day her kiss scene with Maroo aired, her dad called her on the phone.  At the time, she was in France for her PR ambassador activities for the French Tourism Bureau   LYH appointed French PR Ambassador

news weibo source

News report did not reveal what they talked about on the phone, but we can safely surmise that the kiss scene prompted her dad's  unexpected phone call.  

If you are interested in purchasing both The Package Director's Cut Blu-ray & DVD, please fill out and submit the form twice - once for Blu-ray and once for DVD. Thank you.

https://twitter.com/jtbcthepackage/status/934065037110419456

Blu-ray & DVD 가수요 조사 JTBC The Package Preliminary Survey  

quote reposted from  heich twitter

This is SUPER important for getting the br/dvds produced, PLEASE FILL OUT if you're interested!

The br/dvd system in Korea is a bit crazy-- cuz the market is so small they only start producing if the demand is enough. WE NEED NUMBERS! Pls sign up and spread widely to any who may be interested

On 11/21/2017 at 1:37 PM, luvtokki said:

Well, now it's over and - I miss them!  I miss Ma Ru and So So, I miss the 7 year couple, I miss The Affair couple I even miss the grouchy old man.  One of the most poignant scenes was when Ma Ru was riding in the empty tour bus and she imagined them back in their seats and they disappeared one-by-one.  I'm not a crier, but my eyes got a little moist there and when she was saying good-bye at the airport.

It seems that there are many all over the internet who really loved this drama and are in the same state of "what do I do now".  I think all who watched "The Package" felt like they went on a trip to France with 8 amazing people.

in a recent interview, JYH said the hot kiss scene that is getting all the views on the internet was filmed in Korea.   I don't think he knows which one is getting the most hits.  From what I see the kiss on Tombelaine Island is the one getting all the attention.  That, and the kisses on the dock at Honfleur after Ma Ru gave So So the shoes.  He claims it was filmed in Korea and it was very cold.

The kiss scene where it does the flashback to Ma Ru's imagination about what happens in movies between the time a couple kiss and then end up in a bed scene look like they were filmed in Korea - and it looked cold.  "I was always curious about this when I watched dramas and movies" then it switches to an outside scene that looks like Korea, not France.  And then the bed scene kisses.   i think these are the scenes Yong Hwa believes are getting all the attention.

Many have said wishes for "The Package - part 2".   If it happened, what would you wish to see in season 2 of the package? 

@luvtokkiI think he knows the island kiss that's getting the most hits cos in the interview excerpt, he said he filmed in some isolated island and it was like extremely cold and they managed to shot the scene in one go. 

Season 2 should be in Hawaii since it be a Summer theme and it will be Maroo and Soso's honeymoon lol. Going to Italy or Spain will be too similar feel as Paris. Unless if the writer decides to have the story  similar to Before Sunrise, Before Sunsert and Before Midnight. :) Of course, we need to see Soso graduating from her PHD and reuniting with her family in Korea. And probably S2 should be more centered between Maroo and Soso story...feel like it's too short and I still wanna see them lovey dovey lol. 

I've gone back and re-watched all of it.  First, just San Ma Ru's and Yoon So So's story, then the whole thing from beginning to end, savoring each part.  It is really a solid production -acting, directing, script, cinematography, film score, original sound track songs - all mesh together to make a beautifully filmed drama.       

It is a really pretty, thoughtful  and touching drama.  It's a shame it didn't get more notice in Korea, but it seems to have made an impression internationally through the streaming sites (like DramaFever, DramaSubs, etc.)  I have seen many positive comments by netizens and on the streaming sites.   I hope, in time, it gets the recognition it deserves!

The Package came in 3rd in the nomination round with 3,980 votes in this contest for "Best Korean Drama of 2017".  Viewers from 121 countries participated in this voting. Now starts the final round for the next 29 days.  Please vote - this will help get "the Package" some of the recognition it deserves.  You loved or really liked this drama, right?  Then show your support by voting!  Thanks!

http://www.koreandrama.org/the-best-korean-drama-of-2017/   

Many of you were fine with the ending, many wanted more.   I’ve asked if any of you wanted to write an alternate ending – or even provide plot material for a season 2.

Here’s what I would want contained in an alternate ending for The Package.  This could be done on a 1 -2 part epilogue or a second season of The Package.   This is wishful thinking on my part – and only my opinion.

This is Ma Ru’s – So So’s story:

San Ma Ru has gone to Africa and has the evidence he needs to prove his company, World Pharmaceuticals, is selling untested and potentially dangerous drugs in Africa.  Since nothing could or would be accomplished in Korea he went to France to present this information to the French Minister of Health who has also engaged  the World Health Organization.  Only international pressure against World Pharmaceuticals would be embarrassing enough to force the Korean government to sanction World Pharmaceuticals.  Both France and South Korea are members of the World Health Organization.   At the airport in France, San Ma Ru is heading back to Korea to present his case with representatives from the WHO when he meets Joon So So in front of the poster of Mont St. Mihiel.

Joon So So has completed her PHD but after her real vacation visiting all the tourist spots she went on The Package with San Ma Ru she realizes her love for San Ma Ru.  Even though she is going back to Korea for her brother’s wedding, she is also hoping to contact San Ma Ru in the hopes of rekindling their relationship.  She has resolved her guilt about leaving her family in Korea and feels that if she finds San Ma Ru, she can weather the storm of criticism that she will face as long as San Ma Ru is by her side.

Wordlessly, they both realize that their fateful love has come to fruition.  San Ma Ru reaches out for Yoon So So’s hand and they walk hand-in-hand, smiling, to the same Air France flight back to Korea to deal with their lives in Korea.

Ma Ru manages to sweet talk the woman sitting next to So So so he can sit next to So So.  On the flight back to Korea they catch up on what has happened in their lives while they were apart.  Ma Ru promises So So he will stick by her side and support her during her trials with her family.  So So tells Ma Ru he is doing the right thing about his problem with World Pharmaceuticals and she will also support him in his fight against his company and will volunteer as an interpreter for him and the French WHO representatives. Their scene ends with So So sweetly falling asleep on Ma Ru’s shoulder as they hold hands – just like they did when they drove from Paris to Mont St. Mihiel.

Arriving in the airport in Korea, Ma Ru and So So are met by So So’s parents, her brother and her brother’s girlfriend.  So So holds Ma Ru’s arm tightly as she confronts her parents and explains to them that Ma Ru is her new boyfriend, they met in France, and are in love.  So So’s brother gets all surly again, but So So shuts him down with “Ma Ru has treated me well and he may be your future brother-in-law!”

That same night at a dinner with So So’s family, Ma Ru explains his situation with World Pharmaceuticals and the proof and case he is bringing against his company.  So So’s family is worried about his chances of success, but they come to agree that he is taking the right and honorable path.   They realize Ma Ru is a smart and honorable man and wish him good luck.  Ma Ru has to leave the dinner early to meet up with the representatives from France from the WHO.   Before he leaves he pulls So So aside and tells her he will be back, to be strong with her parents and then kisses her in front of the whole family.  He leaves and So So tells her family that she is only staying in Korea for her brother’s wedding, then she is going back to France and the life she loves to work as an Art History  professor’s assistant at a university in Paris.  She also tells them she hopes Ma Ru will marry her and return to France with her.  So So’s mother and father and brother say they forgive her, understand her and will support her decision.

TO BE CONTINUED..........

2nd part of Ma Ru's & So So's story -

At the hearing with World Pharmaceuticals, Ma Ru, with the French representatives from WHO and So So as a translator presents his evidence and case to the Korean government officials and the Korean WHO representatives.  World Pharmaceuticals is fined millions of won and told to cease and desist the sales of the drugs To Africa.   Ma Ru’s boss and his bosse’s boss and his ex-girlfriend are all fired.  All charges against Ma Ru are dropped and the press calls him a national hero.  Ma Ru's friend at World Pharmaceuticals is promoted into the bosse's position,  The head representative from France’s WHO organization tells Ma Ru there is a position for him in Paris investigating corporate crimes that are detrimental to  world health.  Ma Ru tells him he will think about it. So So smiles hopefully.

Ma Ru and So So go on a dinner date and Ma Ru proposes to So So with a ring he bought in Honfleur  the same day he bought  the shoes.   It also fits perfectly.  So So says ‘yes’ on condition he will return to France with her.  Ma Ru answers “I guess I need to accept that job with WHO in Paris, then!” they clink wine glasses and smile at each other.

Ma Ru and So So have a double wedding with So So’s brother and his girlfriend.  So So’s family and Ma Ru’s family all attend.

Ma Ru and So So meet up with their “Package” travelers at Gab-Soo’s/Book-Ja’s restaurant.   Gyung-Jae/So-Ran are there, Seung-Soo is there with his new wife and Na Hyun.  They are all happy that the fateful love of Ma Ru and So So has worked out and they are happy.  They all tell their stories in flashbacks.

Ma Ru and So So return to France to live.  The last scene shows them standing and holding hands while they gave at Mont St. Mihiel lit up at night.  Ma Ru turns to so So and kisses her passionately.  They pull apart and stand hand-in-hand gazing out at Mont St. Mihiel in the distance.

The flashback stories of the 3 other couples will soon follow.   

@luvtokki  Love your take on season 2., after reading your story for S2/epilogue, I feel that I can get a proper closure for MRXSS. Your material is more than enough for season 2..if got the chance can pitch the idea over to the production company. ^_^

Guys, need a favor since The Package Official Production Team is taking survey to determine the dvd production quantity for The Package. Do you wanna see the kiss bts from episode 5, 6, 7 and 8 and ther deleted scenes? If yes, pls help us to take a survey so the dvd production can push through . It's normally rare for JTBC to produce DVD for the drama so this survey is extremely important for us.  Don't worry the form is all in English and won't take more than a minute to fill it. :)

https://form.office.naver.com/form/responseView.cmd?formkey=N2E3ZTRjMzgtZDAwNy00NTc2LTgyMzMtYTFiZWQxZTRmZTg1

DP8TBdZVQAAoG5d.jpg

DP4OvrgVQAAJjzh.jpg

Even though "The Package" came in 3rd and made it into the final round of voting (only 8 dramas made it into the final round out of many from 2017!) which is pretty good, it is in 2nd place in the final round after "While You Were Sleeping".

Our drama has already beaten many other dramas from major networks in this contest.  It is up against 8 other dramas that were also really good.  If we truly want to gather some respect and get it noticed for the quality product "the Package" is - we need to vote, and keep voting!

This contest goes on for 28 days, so we need to be in it for the long haul.  You get 1 vote every 24 hours for each IP address.

Please vote -http://www.koreandrama.org/the-best-korean-drama-of-2017/   

@mayarlin - it seems to be a well-known/reputable portal.  You can see the number of voters and from many different countries so it looks OK.  At any rate, a vote for "The Package" vs. all these other well-known dramas on the major public networks in Korea will get it the respect and attention it deserves.   I really feel bad that such a well-written, quality production did not get the proper recognition in Korea. 

And it seems that both Lee Yeon Hee & Jung Yong Hwa and the other actors and the production team really poured their hearts into this drama.

So everybody, please talk it up on social media wherever you can.  I think it came and went faster than it could get the attention it deserved!

p.s. I'll be following up with my "season 2" rewrite on the other couples soon.  just got a little busy, but I have some good ideas on closure for their stories, also!   

Here’s my “season 2” for the other three couples.   All of their stories come out as flashbacks during this meeting -

Ma Ru and So So meet up with their “Package” travelers at Gab-Soo’s/Book-Ja’s restaurant.   Gyung-Jae/So-Ran are there, Seung-Soo is there with his new wife and Na Hyun.  They are all happy that the fateful love of Ma Ru and So So has worked out and they are happy.  They all tell their stories in flashbacks.

For Gab-Soo/Book Ja –

While Ma Ru was traveling in Africa and gathering information on the untested drugs sent there by World Pharmaceuticals, he found out about an experimental drug sent to Africa that helped to cure certain types of cancer.   It worked by boosting the immune system to fight the cancer cells.  Through his college/army friend still working at World Pharmaceuticals he got the drug to be put on a “clinical trial” status.   After sending a sample of the drug to Book Ja’s doctors, they determined that this experimental drug might help to cure Book Ja’s cancer.   At the time of the meeting, Book Ja’s cancer cells are receding and it looks like over time she may be cured.  Book Ja thanks Ma Ru for helping her, and thanks to Na Hyun’s film of Book Ja looking so sad and desolute she has decided to change her outlook on life and now has hope that her life will improve.   As for Gab Soo, after seeing Na Hyun’s film of him during “the Package”, he now realizes how awful he treated everyone and he is trying to be kinder and gentler.   Also, the coffee brewers Book Ja bought are actually making profits, enough so that they can take the money and expand their restaurant!  They also would like to take another trip to France - would So So be their guide?  So So smiles and nods 'yes'.

For Gyung Jae/So-Ran –

His book made him a lot of money!  Enough so that he could pay off his debt and also finance his own startup business.  He and So Ran are now engaged, and they plan to travel to France for their honeymoon.  They’re hoping Ma Ru and So So will be able to meet up with them and maybe travel with them.  So So asks them if she could be their travel guide again, and they both say “yes!”

For Seung – Soo/Na Hyun –

Of course their big news is that Seung – Soo has married and he introduces his new wife.  Na Hyun has seemed to warm up to her new mother,   and she has reconciled her jealousy because she sees her dad is so happy.  She is working for her GED and plans to go to the New York Film Academy in Paris, France.  Because of this, she is working hard on her English and French.   She tells Ma Ru and So So she hopes to meet up with them sometime when she starts going to school in Paris.     Seung Soo and his new wife also say they will be trveleing to paris to visit Na Hyun while she is in film school, so they hope to meet up again with Ma Ru and So So.

A "flash forward" shows all of the original travelers from "the Package" with their feet back on Point Zero in Paris.  The married Ma Ru and So So, the honeymooners Gyung Jae and So Ran, Gab Soo and the now healthy Book Ja, and Seung Soo, his wife and Na Hyun (who is attending film school in Paris) - THE END.

So you see there is enough material to go with a "Season 2" of "The Package" and bring all the traveler's stories to a happy ending!  I wish I could pitch this to JTBC!

In "The Best Korean Drama of 2017" contest/poll at koreandrama.org The Package is leading in the final round by about a thousand votes!   And this is against many more popular dramas from this year, so obviously it has gained popularity over time - especially internationally.  This contest goes on for another 21 days, so if you are voting and want to see The Package make a statement about how good it was - keep voting!  Thanks.

At @jtbcthepackage there are many interviews of Yong Hwa and Yeon Hee.  Unfortunately they are all in Korean so I can only depend on Google Translate to give me somewhat confusing translations!

It seems "The Package" was transformational for both JYH & LYH.  They both came off of a long hiatus from acting, after receiving unfavorable criticism for their acting.   They both felt as if they had grown to be better actors and better people after completing the drama in France.  It seems the cast and crew became very close during filming, because they were in France with no other Koreans, friends, family and fans for months - they all bonded well.

LYH said (I think, I got the main idea) that during filming they did everything in one take with good feedback from the filming grew, so she didn't have any idea how well the final production turned out.  After watching the final product herself - she was pleased! 

Archived