[Drama 2017] The Package 더 패키지

Go Seung Ji

I teared out watching this episode since it’s sweet and yet bitter at the same time to see them having to part ways and let fate decide their future .

I really don’t know what to expect in the finale episode since the writer is so unpredictable . We are still left with Maru lawsuit to be settled once he returns back to kr & I don’t think one ep is enough to resolve everything. Right now, I just wish for a happy ending for maroo and soso.I’m glad that he sneaked a kiss when he took the selfie with soso. 

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depressing.  Episode 11 was depressing all around.  So So finds the guy who is supposed to be her 'fated love', believes it is Ma Ru, but decides to roll the dice with fate just one more time to see if they are really fated to love.  Bull.

" I have to love myself before I can be loved" is her logic.  Who, in the real world, has ever loved themselves totally before falling in love?  You fall in love because you love the other person.  You fall in love because that person makes you complete and makes you feel good about yourself, makes you love you because you are loved.

She flirts with him all day long, pretending to be his girlfriend, then makes him drive all the way to Mont St. Michel to break up with him?  Cold, really cold.  She knew what her answer was going to be the night before in that cafe.

I really hope they don't leave the ending up to "fate" and leave it up to us (the viewers) to decide what happens to them.  I want closure on all 4 couples, but I really want to see that with Ma Ru and So So.

Tomorrow night (Episode 12) will be the true test of this drama.  If they don't wrap up all the loose ends, I'll be really disappointed with this drama.  It has been so good, so far, but not coming to a good end will mark it as a major fail to me!        

• Go Seung Ji changed the title to [Drama 2017] The Package 더 패키지
Spoiler

Cant ask for a more satisfying ending than this.  Kudos to the scriptwriter ( Chun Sung Il) - excellent storytelling with healing and meaningful dialogues.  Laughter, tears, reconciliation, problems all wrapped up nicely in a happy ending. The Package's scriptwriter and director are on my list to watch out for from now on.   And ofc accolades to Yong Hwa and Yeon Hee and the rest of the cast for excellent performances.  Well done!  I'm so gonna miss The Package. 

What am I gonna do without The Package to brighten up my Fridays and Saturdays?    Thank you, everybody, for your discussions on this thread.  I've enjoyed reading every one of your postings here.  

Guess what Maroo bought on his colleague's behest and behalf?

I dropped the drama a few episodes ago but was curious on how ep11 and 12 will turn out. Sadly the drama made a few decisions that weren't written well in previous episodes and after reading @luvtokkipost it seems like the drama continues to make these confusing, not well written decisions that didn't do the drama any favor.

Sometimes the drama just didn't make any sense and let you behind in a questioning stage, because the character behave in  an odd way that just doesn't make any sense.

Well, after reading @luvtokkipost I think I haven't missed anything in the 11th episode :) 

I'm kind of disappointed in the ending of the series, if only because it was so rushed - thought to be honest, once episode 11 finished and they were still in France, I knew it was going to end up like that. There just wasn't enough time to wrap up everyone's storylines and still get the kind of closure that I wanted for maru and soso. I did think it was a nice twist to have the confirmation of soso's fortune end up like that lol, nice touch. It was quite accurate.

But I digress, it felt like the show could use a couple more episodes so that we don't just get a montage at the end. The other character's storylines were a bit too much of a 180 degree change too quickly, I feel like they needed to have those moments over the course of episodes 8 or 9 through 11 in order for that kind of change of heart to seem believable. As it stands now, I felt like they remained constant throughout the series and then at the end of 11 and 12 they suddenly switch.

All in all I still really enjoyed the series - it's one of my favorites in the past year, but the ending just didn't live up to my expectations, I wanted the ending to be a bit more fleshed out.

I'm disappointed in the ending.  Everyone reached closure and some kind of reconciliation of their relationships except the 2 main leads - Ma Ru and So So.   

I was hoping for a little more passionate happiness when they discover each other at the airport under the angel's feet.  A hug. A kiss.  grab both hands. Something.  Instead they stood there grinning foolishly at each other.  After all they went through and after fate put them together TWICE I expected more.  The ending left me feeling empty for Ma Ru and So So.

They started out so hot right up to episode 7 & 8 and then I felt the passionate love I was hoping for flamed out.  They were on again, off again, but not a single kiss (except for that quick peck on the cheek) or hug for the rest of the drama. After they slept together - twice.

And Ma Ru's fight with the company isn't over yet.  Did he get the proof he needed to stick it to the company in Africa?  Did they end up suing him?  What is he using for money to travel all over the world if he's not employed?

So I guess Ma Ru and So So's ending is that they go back to Korea again together.  So So resolves her anguish and shame with her family and she dates Ma Ru.   Then what?   Does So So return to France again and leave Ma Ru back in Korea?  Do they both go back to France and live together happily?  Do they get married?

Does the sick older woman die of cancer?  I thought Ma Ru would get some of the cancer drugs from his company and cure her.  I guess the point was that if she stopped willing herself to die and fight to live, everything would be all right.

And I wish Ma Ru and So So could meet up again with their fellow Package travelers and present themselves as a real couple and confirm what all of them thought they were - a couple who met in France and fell in love.  That would have been much more romantic.

Well, I really enjoyed it until it ended.  I will miss all of the characters from The Package.   I would hope for "The Package 2" to clear up some of the questions left dangling out there and to reach closure on Ma Ru's and So So's relationship.  But due to its poor viewer rating I doubt that will happen.

Hope to see Yong Hwa and Yeon Hee again in another drama.  They were both really easy to look at and made a striking and beautiful couple.   I felt they had good chemistry and had a fun and enjoyable time filming The Package as shown in their BTS and interviews.          

1 hour ago, hyolee143 said:

All in all I still really enjoyed the series - it's one of my favorites in the past year, but the ending just didn't live up to my expectations, I wanted the ending to be a bit more fleshed out.

I feel that the Nahyun plot in ep9 & 10 was a bit too draggy..they could just summarise their relationship rather than taking up most of ep9&10 since their story doesn’t add much to the drama. Also I wish the writer would focus more on Soso since this is her story but partly to be blame is the lack of extra episodes needed to end the story.

JTBC should have given the greenlight for The Package to have 16episodes but lately their dramas tend to be part of 12eps (new format) which definitely not enough with the amount of materials the writer has for the drama.

Nevertheless, this drama is the best drama for me in 2017 but the ending only left me wanting more. Maroo and Soso could at least hug, hold hands or kiss ...at least give us an epilogue so we know what’s the endgame..it feels too rushed and I feel empty in the end. I’m not sure is it if it’s because it’s produced by jyp pictures  that most of the screen time focused too much on yoonpark and choi wooshik they are under jyp. I feel that the writer have neglected our maroo and soso. 

Я абсолютно обожаю «Пакет» луч ром-ком - фантастическую работу! :heart:
Слишком плохо, что эта драма - всего 12 эпизодов.
Мне нравятся ваши дискуссии и понимание этой драмы!   

mayarlin , Большое спасибо за ваши комментарии!
  Для обмена мыслями и эмоциями. Это позволило мне глубже понять образы и отношения Мару и Сосо.

I actually like the ending. I thought it is very poetic that their narration ends with them locking eyes in front of the big banner of their angel, once again reaffirming their love is indeed predestined by the angel. They first met as strangers in the airport but will now leave as predestined lovers. Without much overtly gestures, their eyes and smiles said it all.

Ofc they are stunned to find themselves standing side by side, and at the feet of their angel to boot. Their eyes widened in disbelief but quickly turned tender as they stare at each other lovingly. So So's eyes got slightly misty as did Ma Roo's.  They seem rooted to their feet, neither moves towards each other to kiss or hug, or to profess love; no they just want to savor each other's face, to savor the  moment of rediscovery of each other and the reaffirmation of their love; neither one of them wants to break that tenuous moment; it is enough that their hearts spoke to each other thru their eyes and smiles and to feel the palpable happiness emanating from their beings - words or gestures of love are just superfluous.  Recall how calmly and matter-of-factly (outwardly) when Ma Roo requests to sleep with So-So, and how calmly So-So lets him thru the door ?  They feel each other.  The ending scene works for me!  

Maroo's face is like an open book:  emotions expressed in his shocked-turned-loving eyes, his little gentle smile turned big happy smile as he  nods in acknowledgement of their inexplicable intertwined fate. All that is missing from him is a raised triumphant fist pump silently expressing: "I knew it, I knew it! Didn't I tell you? Didn't I?  I'd missed you so much! salanghae!"  And So So's bright smile responds: "Yes, you sure did. I've no doubts now. I'd missed you too, salanghae!

Since, this series is called "The Package", I find it appropriate that the narration ends with the tour, and that the script did a good job wrapping it up by giving all characters a good ending.  This is one series where everything: script, dialogues, directing, cast and on-location scenery, all came together to produce a perfect series for me - a series that not only entertains me but enlightens too.   I really don't want the ugliness and messiness from the real world they return to, to subsequently mar the beautiful memories of this package tour.  

4 hours ago, altamarea said:

Я абсолютно обожаю «Пакет» луч ром-ком - фантастическую работу! :heart:
Слишком плохо, что эта драма - всего 12 эпизодов.
Мне нравятся ваши дискуссии и понимание этой драмы!   

mayarlin , Большое спасибо за ваши комментарии!
  Для обмена мыслями и эмоциями. Это позволило мне глубже понять образы и отношения Мару и Сосо.

I  don't understand your language so I google translate your post into English - reposted below. Thank you!  Isn't internet great?

I absolutely adore the "Package" ray rom-com - a fantastic job! : heart:
Too bad that this drama - only 12 episodes.
I like your discussions and understanding of this drama!
mayarlin, Thank you very much for your comments!
   To exchange thoughts and emotions. This allowed me to better understand the images and relationships of Mara and Soso.

Don't take my word for it >>>> I'm not a drama critic, I'm just expressing my opinion here.  Listen, "the Package" is one of the best KDramas I've watched this year!

The 2 leads are to die for, for they're pretty to look at and I found their chemistry to be very believeable.  If you watch the BTS they are very comfortable and playful when not filming.  Also, I believe both of them felt good about the parts they had to play and it shows in their acting.  A lot of people have said they would ship the YongHee couple after "The Package".   I hope they do more dramas together.

The supporting characters were all very good also.  Indeed the entire cast seemed to get along well and enjoyed each other's company during filming.

The directing and writing were also good.  Besides taking on the rom-com there were many social issues explored in this drama.  The role of the 'company' in Korea in a person's personal life and moral beliefs.  The role of men and women in relationships.  The difference between sexual mores and beliefs between western societies and eastern societies.  Doing what is right in your life vs. what is profitable and convenient.  The real importance of a college education vs. doing what you want to do with your life. 

The problem I see is they were constrained by the 12 episode format.  They could have easily gone 16 with this much material to write about.  It's a shame.

The cinematography was beautiful.  The scenic shots of France were beautifully and the filming of the couples was well done.  Maybe it's the light in France, but Lee Yeon Hee just glows in this drama.  She is breathtakingly pretty in this drama.

Everybody is going to take a different feeling away from this drama.  You have to make it your own and take away what you've seen and apply it in your own life.  I would never tell anyone not to watch it in its entirety - @Dhakra.  Watch it. It is worth it!  If you've invested up to Episode 10, then you owe it to yourself to finish it.  You'll get more out of it by finishing it than just walking away!        

I think it will take some time for me to get over the drama and I'm hoping the dvd/ bluray will include all of the bts and director's cut.. Of course, i hope there will the cast commentary video too.  

These two are seriously so cute and natural together! :wub:

tumblr_ozlgn5XTTi1r8fifdo1_1280.jpg

the ending was a let down. it definitely needed more episodes (at least 2) to have everything wrapped up satisfactorily. i wanted to know what happened with the case. did the old woman die? did na hyun go to college eventually? did the couple get married? how did ma ru and so so worked on their relationship? did so so move back to korea or did ma ru moved to france? i'm fine with open endings but not with this kind of drama. i want some kind of resolution and not just the leads staring and smiling goofily at each other in the end.

Ciao tutti!  I apologize for my mistake in choosing the language of the commentary.
Thanks for the reply mayarlin!  And...

Yes, the Internet is really a great thing - it can transmit emotional resonance.
I liked it very much in the final series of the essays of the chief of the Travel Agency about the opportunity to understand yourself by collecting a suitcase and a dialogue Soso with mother about buying a blanket!
These are such simple and priceless Wisdom of life.

Anyway , "The  Package" - the best drama and  I would hope for "The Package 2" in Italy!

Grazie mille e arrivederci! :)

Well, now it's over and - I miss them!  I miss Ma Ru and So So, I miss the 7 year couple, I miss The Affair couple I even miss the grouchy old man.  One of the most poignant scenes was when Ma Ru was riding in the empty tour bus and she imagined them back in their seats and they disappeared one-by-one.  I'm not a crier, but my eyes got a little moist there and when she was saying good-bye at the airport.

It seems that there are many all over the internet who really loved this drama and are in the same state of "what do I do now".  I think all who watched "The Package" felt like they went on a trip to France with 8 amazing people.

in a recent interview, JYH said the hot kiss scene that is getting all the views on the internet was filmed in Korea.   I don't think he knows which one is getting the most hits.  From what I see the kiss on Tombelaine Island is the one getting all the attention.  That, and the kisses on the dock at Honfleur after Ma Ru gave So So the shoes.  He claims it was filmed in Korea and it was very cold.

The kiss scene where it does the flashback to Ma Ru's imagination about what happens in movies between the time a couple kiss and then end up in a bed scene look like they were filmed in Korea - and it looked cold.  "I was always curious about this when I watched dramas and movies" then it switches to an outside scene that looks like Korea, not France.  And then the bed scene kisses.   i think these are the scenes Yong Hwa believes are getting all the attention.

Many have said wishes for "The Package - part 2".   If it happened, what would you wish to see in season 2 of the package? 

From what I can gather, LYH held an interview in Seoul about "The Package".  I found the interpretations from a Naver article on a YongSeo International blog site.  Some interesting quotes from LYH about JYH -

" kiss scene with younger man, JYH, was shocked that it's so natural"

"the island kiss, the imagine kiss as well as the other were all one take. YH seems naturally good. When the winds kept blowing my hair covering my face, he tucked my hair behind my ear naturally. Even though he was one year younger, feel like meet a good partner"

Lee Yeonhee (and other casts) got the privilege to listen Yonghwa's demo songs. she even said not just 1 or 2 but many.

LYH first impression of JYH: "When I met him for the first time, he told me honestly that 'nuna was once my ideal type', hearing that I was happy"

“The preparation period was long so I met a male actor after long time. I'm thankful for yonghwa's help. He was a friend with lot of energy. Seeing him without worry doing lot of things make me feel like he was genius"

If anyone here can verify the contents of this interview - please do.  I can't find the original interview and its probably in Korean, so it would need to be interpreted.

Archived