[Drama 2016] Father, I’ll Take Care of You 아버님 제가 모실게요

tompark

19 minutes ago, AlexMao said:

@sava2sava I had a similar thought about Sung Joon having a chat with Mi Joo's father. He didn't seem to receptive of their relationship anyway, so I don't see him getting upset about Sung Joon rejecting his daughter. What is going to be an issue is the production company. It's in Mi Joo's hands, so if/when the rejection really sinks in she's going to turn into witch. As for the pay-off that the typical Korean drama way of things, give the opposing party enough money to "forget" or to "move-on". My biggest concern is how meek and very weak-willed Dong Hee is, so if anything we need Sung Joon to catch wind of this pay-off and tell Mi Joo once again that he has no interest in her.

@UnniSarah I'll chalk up Mi Joo behaviour to that oft used phrase "blinded by love", you see only the positives, the good and tend to go along with a lot of silly things your mind/heart/spirit would otherwise tell you "Wait a minute here..." Now Sung Joon is not innocent in any of this, if he didn't at least think of her as a woman (oy vey) and I'll say lead her on (take that with a grain salt) none of this would have happened or it wouldn't be as severe. 

@AlexMao.... Chingu, I will chalk it up to she boost his ego up . he probably thought maybe he will eventually like her but then Dong Hee showed up and made him see , he will never feel the same way about MI Joo. CHingu, you are right he should have nipped it in the bud from the start. After watching Mi Joo these past couple of episodes made me realized , she would have still caused him alot of trouble if he told her know. Her personality says, she has never been rejected because no one has ever told her know. She would have made it real dificcult for him working there. Let's face it Sung Joon is good at his job but she could have pushed him to either quit his job or ended up being engaged with Mi Joo. 

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I marathoned 14 episodes yesterday, (what a great way to spend your free time). I can say that a lot of the characters reek of greed, but without it, we would not have a plot to begin with. 

That Changsoo boy is so funny even without the body gags.

Mijoo is your formulaic second-lead girl, a redux of some daily drama character whose name I can't remember. But Sungjoon is no better. It took him five years to finally say he's not into her. He puts her in that awkward spot where he can declare any time he's not really dating her because he never once verbally confirmed it. With his intellect and manly demeanor, he could have said it outright. Yes, he led her on and he can easily get away with it. 

I appreciate that tiny bit of validation at the sauna that DH is pretty. 

51 minutes ago, jeijei said:

Mijoo is your formulaic second-lead girl, a redux of some daily drama character whose name I can't remember. But Sungjoon is no better. It took him five years to finally say he's not into her. He puts her in that awkward spot where he can declare any time he's not really dating her because he never once verbally confirmed it. With his intellect and manly demeanor, he could have said it outright. Yes, he led her on and he can easily get away with it. 

Agree, SJ is not much better than MJ. He's bad in his very own way. He stick onto MJ for many years without saying No. Why? Because of her status, of course. He's hanging with her, enjoy her favourable treatments without complaining, that's definitely gives MJ big hopes, when she likes him very much.

And now the good innocent DH appears, suits perfectly to his liking, and she responds to his feeling too. Only then he refuses MJ. How should a girl feel, to be in such a situation?

Why You Should Watch: Father, I’ll Take Care of You

by javabeans | December 26, 2016 | 3 Comments

ajemo8-00092.jpg

So I’ve decided to kick things off with the inaugural post, to make a case for why more people should be watching Father, I’ll Take Care of You. (To be totally transparent, I may have thought up this Why You Should Watch feature after being frustrated that the latest What We’re Watching was just too short to explain all the reasons I’ve gone giddy for this show, and wanting to talk about it to somebody, anybody, without committing myself to six months of recaps. So maybe the idea was mostly selfishly motivated, but hey, sometimes selfishness can lead to helpful things!)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Father, I’ll Take Care of You may seem like an odd show to get all bouncy and excited about, given that it’s a simple, straightforward, fifty-episode weekend family drama that is populated with lots of characters you’d like to shake. It’s not cleverly plotted, it’s not a new idea, it’s standard lighthearted weekend fare. So why care?

I present to you, Exhibit A:

ajemogif3.gif

I have more exhibits, but come on. Isn’t that enough? *rewatches* *loops over and over* *mesmerized*

I firmly believe that a family weekend drama lives or dies by the pull of its youngest loveline—there are always tons of other characters and a myriad of other life issues represented (housewives, working life, in-law relationships, and so on), but if you have a dull-as-dirt youthful romance, you’re toast. Conversely, if that maknae romance gets the viewers excited, then it can nigh carry the whole show—if I’ve realized anything after watching family weekenders, it’s that I’ll go through a lot for the sake of a cute, satisfying loveline.  Read here

@UnniSarah I definitely agree with you on Hee Sook. I mean currently she really disappoint me with her shrilling and selfishness for her own benefit. I want to say her action and behavior is for the sake of her son since any mother would want what is best for her son however that is not the case. Her action and behavior from beginning to end just become a, all about her thing. She pushes him to the bring of suicide (without knowing), not giving him the motherly love he so deserve growing up, embarrassing and harassing him on his education, for the sake of her saving face with other parent. For her to brag and bask in the glory of having a smart son. It becomes a all about her thing even now when Ji Hoon reject her. It becomes a "I raise you, I did this for you.." She never question why a child she raised since birth would so flatly rejected her and live with Hye Joo. She never question her action that she did to her son. I still cringe thinking of her verbal attack about his study after he got out of cram school. She literally did not care about the surrounding nor her son, literally yelling and basically embarrassing him in public. I mean, she put her son into a point where he truly have no friends and to the point of wanting to take his life away. And with Sung Hoon injuries, she didn't even show consideration or care. Very disappointed indeed.

I do like Hye Joo and Ji Hoon scene and hope that they'll build a budding relationship with each other. I love that conversation of their that shows a big comparison between Hye Joo and Hee Sook parenting as one wishes for their child to be healthy and happy. Of course they would like their child to do good in school but don't expect the child to be top performer or anything. They just want them to do good in school, be healthy, and happy whereas top performer is the #1 priority for Hee Sook to the point that she threw away the parental love. I mean literally Ji Hoon didn't even know hugging as he never been hug by his mother for the longest time. I cannot wait to have Ji Hoon laugh and be happy with Hye Joo and family again. It'll be like rubbing salt into Hee Sook to wonder "when did my child ever smile or is happy like that" 

As for the SJxDHxMJ situation, I do agree with most that SJ is not innocent on this as part of the fault lies with him for never fulling standing down and clearing thing with MJ. He was aware of her feelings and never firm turn her down and the action that he done (whether he think it is just on a friend / colleague level) did misled her on. They always talk work related when they're together and went on work trip where he went with her here and there like to the movie, etc during their work trip in which I do see that he may do so as a colleague out of worry given she is a woman and the danger that could happen. It can be dangerous for woman to be out at night in a foreign country. But that is probably where good intention becomes bad, causing it to misled her into falling for him and thinking he was interested. 

However, given that they have been together for 5 years as colleague and he never had made a move on her, Mi Joo should have realize it. But she is definitely too blind in her feeling for him to see it. Cause seriously, if you're pinning on a guy who is aware of your feeling, who never make a move on you for the entire 5 years, who never officially claim your relationship no matter how much you throw yourself at them. I think after a year, I would be realizing that the guy has no feeling for me.

All in all, agreeable that SJ should have been much more firm in ending things with her before she becomes aware of his feeling for Dong Hee. And yes, he did have many years to do so which I cannot say whether he did within those years or if he let it be the way it is as his priority focus during those time was his career. He is a young director and I am sure his career was his priority since he did spend 2 years in Shanghai for his work. I mean, I will give it that he tried a couple time like when they went to drinking and he compare their social status (wine vs soju) hoping she understand the meaning behind it. But when she didn't, I think he should have been much more firm about clearing their rumor relationship. 

But at the same time, I don't think it would make any change to MJ. I think MJ is so blinded by her feelings for him that she falls into the denial phase and turn everything around. Like giving him the excuse that he isn't making a move on her not because he doesn't like her, but because he's afraid her dad would fire him. Or him taking to her about wine and soju comparison as the type of woman he prefer (which gives her hope that she can be that type of woman). Even when she notice SJ attention and feeling is towards Dong Hee, she still denied his feeling for Dong Hee placing emphasis on their 5 year relationship. MJ is at the point that even knowing he has rejected her, she twist it around into pity and guilt towards both Dong Hee and SJ. She uses DH weakness and guilty towards SJ in hoping to separate them. And she uses pity and blame on SJ for the 5 years she had love him. 

She definitely fall into the B type second lead and I am see her making things so much harder for both DH and SJ. Her pettiness and jealousy is interfering with work as no matter how great Dong Hee work (like her storyboard), she will reject it out and definitely will make things hard for Dong Hee. She will do everything she can to force them apart knowing Dong Hee weakness and guilt towards SJ. I'm worry it'll come to a point where she'll truly to force SJ into marrying her (if he want to protect DH) --> that's my drama imagination telling me LOL. DH will suffer her wrath but her prince charming will protect her, no matter what. I definitely did not like her talking down to DH which SJ has reprimand her originally for but apparently she doesn't learn how to be considerate of others however it is good that she told DH that SJ defended her.

I can definitely see SJ and DH not getting together any time soon. DH has clearly made her mind for now to throw away the thought of love (and focus on writing) as her family is everything to her and she is aware of her situation that doesn't allow her the chance to love. She has to focus for the sake of her family and that they want to leave soon. I love that she is honest with SJ and he respect her for that. He doesn't force or push his feeling to her to put her in a tough spot and just watches her / protect her the way he can.

I cannot wait until next episode. We get a piggy back ride and from the look of it, he's going to help her as best as he can to make her dream of becoming a writer come true. Cannot wait until Writer Jo take a liking to Dong Hee (not in the romance way but more like apprenticeship) if that's possible (that's my drama imagination again) LOL! If that happen, it'll be 1 point for DH against MJ (and let her stew in her pettiness).

12 hours ago, jeijei said:

Why You Should Watch: Father, I’ll Take Care of You

I present to you, Exhibit A:

I have more exhibits, but come on. Isn’t that enough? *rewatches* *loops over and over* *mesmerized*

I firmly believe that a family weekend drama lives or dies by the pull of its youngest loveline—there are always tons of other characters and a myriad of other life issues represented (housewives, working life, in-law relationships, and so on), but if you have a dull-as-dirt youthful romance, you’re toast. Conversely, if that maknae romance gets the viewers excited, then it can nigh carry the whole show—if I’ve realized anything after watching family weekenders, it’s that I’ll go through a lot for the sake of a cute, satisfying loveline.  Read here

I love that javabeans and everyone of us are so mesmerized by this cute couple of ours. I am sure right now, we are all watching for our couple and no other. Lee Taehwan is definitely making me crush on him badly LOL!

On 12/26/2016 at 0:30 PM, UnniSarah said:

OMO Omo 

MJ is very desperate and is in so much denial. What I found so funny is the fact she questions him and even know what is his answer is. Which makes me think during a five year span Mi Joo has really gotten to know him because of his chacon character but she has never been true to him chingu. He has never seeeeen a nasty Bi__ side which makes me so mad. I hate when only one person in a relationship is honest while the other one hides.  I think Mi Joo is truly nasty because the fact she chooses to manipulate Dong Hee for her own gain but because she has never been herself in front of Sung Joon unlike DH has always been honest to SJ. Like when she told SJ she was going to make a choice  between her dreams and love but  MJ was disgusted at her choosing the job over SJ, so to help DH in disgusting path she offered her money. smh smh shm Sadly Mi Jo has no idea that Don Hee told SJ her plan . Now all she is doing is adding more oil to fire that is already lit which will only blow up in her face . As she spoke to DH making  her feel so bad by insulting her is proof that she doesn't understand people who are poor. She doesn't understand some will do anything so they can survive. Not meaning committing illegal activities but choosing what is best for them and their families.

OMG YASSSSS.. I TOTALLY FEEL YOU ABOUT MJ!!!! *urghhhh*

Who is she to be in the position to order DH to move out of SJ's house? Plus they could be considered as "neighbours" considering they don't live in the same "house", like SJ and his parents??  OH MY POOR DEAR DH..

Related image  Related imageRelated imageRelated imageRelated image

First time posting but enjoying this drama so very much.  Hoping I will be welcomed.  Just like the photos above this drama grabbed me from the start.  Pulled me and my feelings into this couples story.  Allowed me to look and wonder where the writers would lead.  Right away I felt like SJ was the kind of man that was not only able but willing to take care of someone he really cares about.  I really love his character for so many reasons I can't even name them all.  But what I loved more than anything was him not lingering but telling MJ just how it is no matter the cost to his career and even though she isn't willing to accept what he is saying loud and clear.  He still isn't willing to allow her to believe he could care for her in the same way.  MJ I have no words that are better than those already written here except to say I can't find one thing I like about her, not one!!!

DH is simply amazing no matter how many times she gets knocked down by others she keeps getting back up and she is so tenderhearted and just plain old loving right down to the bone.  She loves her family and has a sense of pride no matter that she is poor or that her brother continues to leave her hanging and chained to his problems.  Yet the amazing thing about her is that she isn't poor in spirit she strives under the harshest conditions and is so smart and understands people so much better than most.  She may not understand everything she is feeling towards SJ but its not that her dream or job means more its that HE DOES!  She recalls every single memory of him protecting her and his never ending kindness that she feels she doesn't deserve because she believes he is way out of her league.  Truth is as for kindness they are a match, as for love of family they are a match,  as for dreams and hardworking they are a match, etc...  I could go on and although their stand as far as rich or poor means so much to some but when it comes to the heart I don't think it means anything at all...

They will struggle but I have a feeling DH is going to not only fly in her dreams she is going to SOAR ABOVE THE STARS at least that's what I am hoping for.  Her talent will shine and it shows already in the stores she visits she understand the needs of everyday people and it sets her apart from others her ideas and talent are above others and will soon be seen...

It doesn't mean he doesn't move her heart or that she doesn't have real feeling for him it's just that she doesn't want to make his life worse because of her when she already feels bad enough for whats already happened.  Not to mention being told by others your not good enough or your holding him back making a mess out of his life.  When you think about how DH has struggled you can understand how easily she could believe that to be true...

But my hopes are that SJ will shine some light on her thinking and that he wont give up on his heart no matter how long it takes.  For the right person no matter how hard or how long it takes it would be worth it if in the end your hope and even dreams came true and you ended up receiving that others persons heart and love too...:wub::heart::wub:

On 12/26/2016 at 2:02 PM, UnniSarah said:

@AlexMao.... Chingu, I will chalk it up to she boost his ego up . he probably thought maybe he will eventually like her but then Dong Hee showed up and made him see , he will never feel the same way about MI Joo. CHingu, you are right he should have nipped it in the bud from the start. After watching Mi Joo these past couple of episodes made me realized , she would have still caused him alot of trouble if he told her know. Her personality says, she has never been rejected because no one has ever told her know. She would have made it real dificcult for him working there. Let's face it Sung Joon is good at his job but she could have pushed him to either quit his job or ended up being engaged with Mi Joo. 

@UnniSarah  It's not that DH showed up.. These two never really worked close together because he always work in another country.. MJ always went looking for him in whatever country the company had him in using work for and excuse.. Granted he may have led her on but all this time he has had a wall built up in front of him and she has never been able to tear it down or go over it.. So yes she fears his rejection and can't accept that fact the he's telling her no.. Now knowing that DH lives in his home and him rejecting her she needs to take it out on someone.. I'm looking forward to her showing up at the house unannounced.

On 12/26/2016 at 5:45 PM, cutimap said:

Agree, SJ is not much better than MJ. He's bad in his very own way. He stick onto MJ for many years without saying No. Why? Because of her status, of course. He's hanging with her, enjoy her favourable treatments without complaining, that's definitely gives MJ big hopes, when she likes him very much.

And now the good innocent DH appears, suits perfectly to his liking, and she responds to his feeling too. Only then he refuses MJ. How should a girl feel, to be in such a situation?

@cutimap  Yes but after 5 years no kiss or even holding hands she should have known he's not into her and moved on..

23 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@UnniSarah  It's not that DH showed up.. These two never really worked close together because he alwats work in anothwer country.. MJ alwats went looking for him in whatever country the company had him in using work for and excuse.. Granted he may have led her on but all this time he has had a wall built up in front of him and she has never been able to tear it down or go over it.. So yes she bfears his rejection and can't accept that fact the he's telling her no.. Now knowing that DH lives in his home and him rejecting her she needs to take it out on someone.. I'm looking forward to her showing up at the house unannounced.

@cutimap  Yes but after 5 years no kiss or even holding hands she should have known he's not into her and moved on..

Annyeonghaseyo Chingu @sava2sava..... *waving *....  I love your perspective on SJ and Mi Joo. Your right , he has never hugged, kissed or voluntarily comforted her. How could she not have taken that as a hint, he isn't interested. MJ sure has a lot of confidence to think she can win asking Joon's heart. She will use all kinds of trick to get in the families good graces but will make SJ hate her even more. That is what I am waiting to see. Lol lol

I recall in one of the earlier episodes that MJ asked if SJ had some liking for her and SJ replied that he did.

My Guess is that SJ wanted to protect DH and so he used the five year excuse of not liking MJ.

In this way, MJ will not target DH, hopefully.

2 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Annyeonghaseyo Chingu @sava2sava..... *waving *....  I love your perspective on SJ and Mi Joo. Your right , he has never hugged, kissed or voluntarily comforted her. How could she not have taken that as a hint, he isn't interested. MJ sure has a lot of confidence to think she can win asking Joon's heart. She will use all kinds of trick to get in the families good graces but will make SJ hate her even more. That is what I am waiting to see. Lol lol

With Mijoo, I just find her in a strong denial in that she may have never been rejected by someone in her life before (given she seem like those spoiled chaebol who can get what she want). Hence even after 5 years with Sung Joon and even admitting that he never made a move on her, she continue to push herself onto him thinking he's rejecting her for various reasons, like he's afraid of her dad and losing his position vs. the actual reason in that he doesn't have feeling for her and that he only see her as a good colleague and working partner.

I can definitely see her approaching his families to try to win Sung Joon through them. I'm sure she'll be winning good grace with the grandma, mom, and Hee Sook given that she's a girl with wealth and they seem to like money. 

The sad thing about Mijoo is that she doesn't accept her mistakes but rather shove the blame to the other party and act the victim. Like with Sung Joon rejecting her, she doesn't want to lose face and shift the blame at Sung Joon for making her chase him for 5 years to the point that there is rumor is that they're in a relationship and want him to continue being with her as pity for the 5 year she spent pinning to him her versus accepting it and moving on with grace. She blame him as to how much it will affect her image especially after chasing him for 5 years when she place herself in that predicament. She chase him and push herself onto him for 5 years, on a guy who doesn't return her feeling for 5 years. Literally it's like he was trying to run away accepting these oversea project. And she likes to create misunderstanding that benefit her which in this case, the 5 year misunderstanding to the employee into thinking they're an unofficial couple hence the rumor. She even try to create misunderstanding with Dong Hee during the car ride, talking about marriage to make it seem like she and Sung Joon are a couple. She did the same with Sung Joon grandma. Rather than being clear, she speak with the intention of misleading others to think differently of her and Sung Joon relationship of being more than colleague so that it gives her the advantage to someday win Sung Joon. She created misunderstanding as it'll keeps suitor away from pursuing Sung Joon thinking he's already taken and it allow her to be the one beside him with hope one day he'll be her given there won't be any other woman around him  (that is until Dong Hee show up. You can see her surprise expression when Dong Hee first met her returning the backpack that there is another woman around Sung Joon. She was threaten and from that time was mostly aware in some part that Sung Joon was hiding some fact that happen in Taiwan from her).

That's why yes some part may be some fault from Sung Joon good intentions of caring for a colleague that makes it misleading to her cause honestly, when we have crush on someone - everything our crush does would be view and interpret completely different in our eyes than what the actual truth is. Like it's dark at night and I'm leaving work. And my crush offer to walk me home. To him, he's walking me home because I'm a coworker and walking by myself at night is dangerous. But to me who is seeing heart on my crush would think he's walking me home because he's interested.

Thats why I say, Sung Joon is a good hearted guy that good intention could mislead another so he's at fault on that but the rest is Mijoo. She put herself in this predicament for the past 5 years.

Park Eun Bin was so popular to play child/teenager rolls - probably I saw only her playing as young girl in every drama (during her teenager time), and then she got only a leading role in "Operational Proposal", and not much more. The frequency of her appearance on dramas/movies is so much less compared to the new faces like Kim Yoo Jung, Kim So Hyun.

Do anybody know why?

7 hours ago, cutimap said:

Park Eun Bin was so popular to play child/teenager rolls - probably I saw only her playing as young girl in every drama (during her teenager time), and then she got only a leading role in "Operational Proposal", and not much more. The frequency of her appearance on dramas/movies is so much less compared to the new faces like Kim Yoo Jung, Kim So Hyun.

Do anybody know why?

I have a few things I wanted to say. However, I think I'll just jump in here for this question. I'm sure some will disagree but, it is what it is.  I also want you guys to be aware.  I think Park Eun Bin is cute, but I might seem like a hater but I'm not.  

1.  Her acting:  She's still a neonate in her acting.  What I mean by this is that she doesn't have much presence unless it's forced on us by her interaction with the other actors.  Even her emotional expreddions are weak at times. There's something missing there.  So I think that's a biggie for people. If we're speaking about Kim So Hyun---that girl can take on a role.  Can you picture our girl in the role Kim So Hyun had in Who Are You? School 2015, I can't. 

2.  There's nothing special about her looks they're sort of bland. Kim So Hyun & Kim Yoo Jung have a similar look, with the high cheekbones, small lips...those girls look like they're the living emobiment of Snow White (hence appeal for men and women). IU has that look going too. They're prettier than the girl next door but gives you the vibe that she's super sweet and caring. That makes you want to be her or date/marry her.

Now, people can say looks are subjective; which they are and I completely agree.  I think Park Eun Bin is also very attractive.  But she doesn't have that "in look".  I can't picture many guys looking at her and thinking (yeah she's a wet dream). I mean if we were talking about the 'Kim Na Ra' look back in the time of her starring on Wedding---then she'd be the "it girl". Right now, nope. She's about 10-15 years late.  I think they look at her and see a little sister or cousin or best friend. As I said her acting isn't that great (she's still growing into her skill)  but she's super lucky to have such a strong cast backing her up. 

Archived