[Drama 2016] Fantastic 판타스틱

kbleon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you chingus for the fantastic 2 months of screen caps, videos, gifs, articles and comments/discussion! What a happy, beautiful finale filled with love, laughter and hope! The Choi family got their just desserts! SH lives, appreciating life even when one has to bear with pain and suffering of a terminal illness as there is joy in being with one's loved ones, family and friends. I am so happy that CS has Jamie! This kind-hearted man definitely deserves to find his own love and happiness. May HS and SH live to a ripe old age, may this group of good friends be able to gather and meet at Joon Ki's favourite tree every year. With each other's support, may they live fantastically! Good-bye chingus, thank you once again. May we meet at another thread.

17 hours ago, tiMadam said:

I enjoyed watching the drama ...although it had heavy themes (death, cancer nasty in laws) but it was lighthearted too...it was sad to see dr die but I feel like he lived well and enjoy each day he lived...

thank you @kbleon for the screencaps, @stroppyse and @yqyukiz for translating, @Melchai for articles and all the commentors (loved reading all the analysis and thoughts about the drama)

See you in the next drama...

Live each day fully and enjoy each moments (good or bad)...everyone live well!

Hey chingus, I came in to this thread quite late but am glad I got to know this drama Fantastic. It actually relates to some news articles I am reading at the moment, about facing terminal illnesses like cancer with a positive mind and so on... this drama is really insightful to that aspect!

The drama is not overly depressing, with a tad of humor and sombre reality - it really makes me enjoy the show a lot! Thanks for the sommpi-ers mentioned by tiMadam - @kbleon, @stroppyse@yqyukiz and @Melchai - for making my experience in this drama here unforgettable too.

Live healthy and be happy, minna!

I finished the last episode today and I'm already planning to rewatch the entire drama from ep1 again tonight. Gonna miss it so much! I love Hae Sung's look after a year later! :D It's similar to his usual look but there's just something different that made him looked more handsome LOL. Maybe it's just my eyes :P 

Anyway, a big thank you to @kbleon once again, for committing so much of your time on this thread. Thanks everyone who have been part of this thread, there are too many to mention, you know who you are ;) See you all in other drama threads, and for Joompis, see you all back at the main thread soon! :wub:

The inside joke that @stroppyse noticed about KHJ and Ji Soo was so cute and got my wheels turning. JSW fans can tell me if I'm right, but hasn't he said that he wants to play a king in a sageuk? Because he was always being cast as a CEO? I seem to remember reading that after I watched "Cunning Single Lady." So the drama SH writes for HS at the end is JSW's dream!  I like those little meta winks here and there at fans.

2 hours ago, yqyukiz said:

I love Hae Sung's look after a year later! :D It's similar to his usual look but there's just something different that made him looked more handsome LOL. Maybe it's just my eyes :P 

@yqyukiz I also noticed that at the one year memorial. Could have been the blue suit, but as a keen observer, I'm convinced it was his hair. More volume in the front. Lol! @Melchai @kenixoon How did you know I was squinting at the cellphone video to get the hair effect? I like his hair darker but it looks so much better when it isn't pressed down with product.:P

8 hours ago, jd50 said:

JSW fans can tell me if I'm right, but hasn't he said that he wants to play a king in a sageuk? Because he was always being cast as a CEO? I seem to remember reading that after I watched "Cunning Single Lady." So the drama SH writes for HS at the end is JSW's dream!  I like those little meta winks here and there at fans.

Yes he is .. in one of the interviews he had.. he wants to be a KING  ..ha ha ... I'm waiting for him to be in a saeguk drama quite sometime and he did it before in a drama title  Queen Seon Deuk. even though its a short sentence in the script reading scene as a King .. he did so great with it and i do hope he will consider to be in saeguk drama one day .. and it will make me happy .. ha ha

I've watched and rewatched the last 2 episodes but it's been a very busy week for me so I only get to compose a comment today..and like all the others, I am thankful and very very happy that we had a happy ending!..what a satifying and fantastic way to end a fantastic show!

Thank you writer-nim for fulfilling our wishes!..And thank you as well for all the chingus who have contributed to this thread..you have made this drama a lot more enjoyable with all your wonderful insights!..Special mention to @kbleon, @Melchai, @yqyukiz and @stroppyse for the clips, screencaps, gifs and translations!

FantastiC was such an inspiration..it may not have a "trademark line" like other famous films like what someone said in a comment I've read but  it has those simple and "everyday life" conversations that hits you hard straight to the heart.

My only complain is that we didn't get to see the 17.5 rated love scene!..I was waiting for that since the first time I saw the BTS!..aside from that, I love everything about this drama..one of the most heart-warming shows I have seen..one of the best I might say..

Gumawo everyone!..I hope to see you all on another thread!

oh I forgot!..must I add that I love the scene where cutie pie went to HaeSung's house..oh it's so cute how she automatically extended her love to SoHye after learning that she is actually HaeSung's first love and current girlfriend contrary to what Seol's mother told her!..lol

It was also endearing how she taught SoHye how to cook!..finally HaeSung and ChangSeok get to enjoy her cooking!..I'm so happy that instead of going against their relationship (like what usually happens to Kdrama), after learning that she is a cancer patient, Cutie Pie encouraged SoHye and told her she'll live long, a thousand years in fact!..she also made sure to remind HaeSung to take care of SoHye..:)

How gladdening!..no wonder HaeSung is so lovable despite all of his craziness (which I love, by the way), it must have run in the family!

Hey all,

Rating - 8.5 out of 10

Watched Episode 16 on Monday morning. Yes. I woke up, took bath and right away sat and started to watch the Episode 16. I wasn't afraid of writer's attempt to surprise the audience with that Heart Stop scene. But it was done so well that even i for a few seconds became worried. Then that 1 year jump and still i was sure that Writer is fooling us 'The Audience'.

Joon Ki played the role well. Grandmother did well to accept So Hye. So Hye took the right decision. The most important part is now Everyone is close friend with each other. This is now a big family of 11 people - 9 adults and 2kids+ 1 unborn baby of Misun.

At start we had So Hye all alone and now look at this one happy big family.

Justice is served and Choi Family paid the price of their bad doings. This satisfied audiences heart. And no one from Our big family's side took any big action. It was The Rule of Law that brought them down.

@jd50 funny Criticism of William. William doesn't hold much and is astute critique. I disagree with his choice of words and many a times he looked Cruel but overall he does quite Objective Reviews.

@cathlin I think rather than everyone there for SO Hye, this episode showed everyone is there for everyone. Jamie is part of Family now too. Joon Ki gave gifts to everyone in Farewell Party. SO Hye decided to live and fight and it brought happiness for everyone.

@ihyw I'm 1st time watched Joo Sang Wook and Hye Sung did pretty well. All actors deserve applause for understanding the concept of Characters and Portraying them so well. Big Applause to Actors, Director and Especially Writer.

@laurene0917 I think it was so embarrassing and funny for Sang Wook and Hyun Joo that they couldn't do that scene properly and Director decided to not add that scene. FantastiC strengthen lies with its simplicity. The Wisdom words come out as a part of chit-chat and normal talk. Joon Ki never tries to force those words. Writer lets the viewers visually experience all of the feelings and emotions. A really good to way to make sure Viewers LIVE This whole Experience through these  characters.

@LoveSG @ross27 Jamie and Chang Suk Happy is a Bonus. Thank you writer. Little makeup and Hairstyle can change  the look of you face. Sang Wook's face with that earlier style looked heavy and old. But in flashback scenes Hye Sung's face is light. In recent episodes whenever Hye Sung change hairstyle, looked quite young.

KISS - Kiss scenes surprised me. There are so many kiss scenes of Hye Sung with So Hye. And there are good normal kiss scenes. Not those forced kiss scene moments. FantastiC has more kiss scenes than our Usual rom-com kdramas.

But we have to admit Writer was able to make our heart jump for 1 whole minute. I dislike the word 'ending' because it isn't an end.

They got Happy Future. Their life is going on. It's just that we the audience have lost connection with their world.

@kbleon @Melchaithanks for pics,videos,youtube uploads and everything. @stroppyse We have watching many similar shows and thanks for translations. @yqyukiz I kept trying to remember your username. The i just youtube search videos and found Your uploaded FantastiC videos. Thank you for translations and updating them on youtube. Thank you others who kept on providing useful and new information in this thread.

We must talk about these Beautiful OST too. I fully enjoyed those soothing and soft OSTs.

My favourite OSTs are -

OST Part 01 - Fall's Winds

OST Part 03 - When Autumn Comes - That guy sings quite good

OST Part 05 - Please  -  The emotional Song

OST Part 08 - FantastiC

OST Part 11 -  Dirty Devil  - Romantic one - I just keep humming Kiss Me Kiss Me all day.

Ok everyone this is my last Post here. I have mentioned almost every recent active member. 

All OST are good but these mentioned ones have touched my heart the most.

Sometime in future i will watch FantastiC again. Hope we all see many other good shows together.

This year, K-drama fans have seen their fair share of series in which the debilitating condition of cancer was used as a major concept in its plot and direction. The latest K-drama to utilize said concept is Fantastic, a series starring Kim Hyun Joo (Boys Over Flowers, I Have a Lover) and Joo Sang Wook (Birth of a Beauty, Glamorous Temptation). Actually, Fantastic was very similar to another K-drama that utilized cancer as a concept, the heavily promoted Uncontrollably Fond. In fact, many believe Fantastic succeeded in executing the direction of said concept where Uncontrollably Fond failed.

Besides the aforementioned, Fantastic continued its run, attaining a devoted viewership that was quite high for a K-drama series airing on Korean pay television. Today on Saturday, October 22, it aired its finale which ended with high viewership ratings. Unfortunately, it continued the trend of providing a “safe” conclusion for a K-drama utilizing cancer as a plot concept, if not “safer.”

image: http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Fantastic-Poster-468x700.jpg

Fantastic, K-dramas, JTBC “Fantastic” uses a similar concept that “Uncontrollably Fond” used in its plot. Where the latter failed to deliver on said plot, the former is actually keeping up. [Image by JTBC]

Before continuing, it must be stressed this article contains spoilers for the penultimate episode and finale for Fantastic. For K-drama fans who do not want to read spoilers, skip to the second-to-the-last paragraph detailing viewership ratings. [WARNING: Spoilers Ahead!] Anyway, it seemed as if Fantastic was well on its way on being the first K-drama to make an impact when it comes to providing an ending that will make it stand out from the rest. Typically in K-dramas, especially ones that are romantic, the endings are often happy. However, a K-drama that utilizes cancer as a concept has the opportunity of showing the other outcome of cancer, one that happens a lot, the cancer patient passing away. So far, all three major K-dramas using cancer as a concept — Marriage Contract, Uncontrollably Fond, and Fantastic — have either dodged or avoided the touchy outcome.

image: http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Screenshot-2016-10-15-at-12.21.29-PM-670x377.png

Ryu-Hae-Sung-and-Hong-Joon-Gi Ryu Hae Sung (left) and Hong Joon Gi (right) form a very brotherly relationship as “Fantastic” progresses. It is probably the second most interesting relationship in the series. [Image by JTBC]

To be fair, Fantastic wasn’t 100 percent a “happily ever after.” The penultimate episode featured the funeral of Hong Joon Gi (Kim Tae Hoon). The second male lead is a doctor who has cancer himself. Unlike most second male leads who pursue the primary female lead, Joon Gi steps back so that Lee So Hye (Kim Hyun Joo) can be with Ryu Hae Sung (Joo Sang Wook). He nominates himself as “Number Two” to So Hye and even becomes a “big brother” to Hae Sung. Anyway, watching Joon Gi’s funeral was heartbreaking as many K-drama fans of the show thought he would make it given all the “close calls” he suffered. In the end, Hong Joon Gi passes away.

JTBC probably thought Hong Joon Gi passing away would be enough of an impact to hit K-drama viewers right in the core of their emotions. True, it was a huge loss and K-drama fans sure felt it, but it would not have been as big as an impact if Lee So Hye were to pass away from her cancer leaving behind Ryu Hae Sung. Showing that Hae Sung can still be happy after his time of grieving, remembering So Hye and cherishing the limited time they had together would be more of an impact in showing how precious life can be.

image: http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Marriage-Contract-Full-Cast-670x384.jpg

MBC “Marriage Contract,” though a contract marriage K-drama starring Lee Seo Jin and UEE, utilized cancer as a major concept for its plot and direction. [Image by Munhwa Broadcasting Corporation (MBC)]

Maybe it is better to be safe than sorry as the other two K-dramas that utilized cancer as a major concept for the plot and direction, Marriage Contract and Uncontrollably Fond, ended “safely” too, avoiding the aforementioned direction. In the former, the situation is left with a cliffhanger for the viewers to debate if Kang Hye Soo (UEE) survives or not. In the latter, signs are given that support either Shin Joon Young (Kim Woo Bin) surviving or dying, but we are never given a clear-cut answer.

Ultimately, JTBC must be happy with how Fantastic concluded as the viewership ratings were very favorable. According to both Nielsen Korea and TNmS Media Korea, their nationwide viewership ratings were 2.400 percent and 2.2 percent respectively. Adjusted to free-to-watch Korean television, it is probably around 12 to 15 percent, thus making it better than most Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS) K-dramas airing right now actually.

Fantastic has now concluded but K-drama fans can still watch the entire series online. Depending on the region, it can be watched for free, with ads, on both DramaFever and Viki.

[Featured Image by JTBC]

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/3630481/fantastic-kdrama-finale-jtbc-series-concludes-with-high-viewership-ratings-but-continues-safe-conclusions-for-cancer-concept-dramas/#GMb2IiwiRvzi1ixr.99

photo777029.jpg

Actor Joo Sang-wook talked about his co-stars Kim Hyeon-joo and Kim Tae-hoon in "Fantastic" during an interview last week.

In "Fantastic", he took on the role of Ryu Hae-seong, a terrible actor who has a girlfriend named Lee So-hye (Kim Hyeon-joo) with a terminal illness. His teamwork with Kim Hyeon-joo earned him lots of favorable comments from the public.

Joo Sang-wook said, "The cooperation of the cast was the same as we were on set when cameras weren't roling".

"Usually people tend to think about their own characters only and not really care about the others but Kim Hyeon-joo did both. She is so talented that she can balance two at the same time".

"Those who have worked with Kim Hyeon-joo should know that she's real easy to work with".

About Kim Tae-hoon, he said, "I've never seen anyone like him before. However, he makes a mistake as soon as someone tells him he's doing a good job".

"Kim Tae-hoon doesn't look at the script when we rehearse. However, he doesn't get a single word wrong".

"It's luck to be able to work with actors with talent and great minds".

Source : www.asiatoday.co.kr/v...

Copy & paste guideline for this article
Always put a link back to the source and HanCinema permalink

Fantastic: Episode 15

wE2o6T.jpg

This is a happy episode, filled with joy and love. Even if adversity hits So-hye and Hae-sung, at least they’re together and ready to help each other overcome anything life throws their way. So-hye has also learned to live each day with purpose and without regret, which means walking besides her fantastic man through thick and thin.

Spoiler

EPISODE 15 RECAP

fantastic15-00001.jpg

So-hye sits at her desk and strokes the album Joon-ki made for her. She narrates, “My cancer comrade, as always, left our sides cheerfully, leaving behind many gifts.”

The scene changes to Joon-ki’s adieu party, and on screen, a video recording of Joon-ki announces that he’s dead. He thanks everyone for attending, and then specially gifts So-hye and Hae-sung their wedding present: a travel package to Bolivia. He wants this to be his last party, and on cue, confetti bursts into the air. 

After all the festivities, Joon-ki ends the party by telling everyone to enjoy the gift of today. Eyes brimming with tears, he waves at the camera and gives his final farewell with his trademark smile. So-hye looks out at the crowd, and narrates that there’s no such thing as a farewell that doesn’t hurt or is good. However, there are warm farewells filled with love. Thus, now it’s her turn to prepare her gifts for the people she’ll leave behind.

fantastic15-00008.jpg fantastic15-00002.jpg

So-hye types the title for a new blog post, naming it “FantastiCancer.” She writes about how she has no future guaranteed, so she’s going to enjoy the present to the fullest without regrets, adding at the end of her entry, “with my fantastic man, Ryu Hae-sung.”

Sitting together on the couch, So-hye and Hae-sung plan their wedding, deciding on Okinawa for the location. As Hae-sung continues to work on their wedding preparations, So-hye takes out her phone and snaps some photos of him. He dutifully poses for her pictures, and then they take a selfie together.

fantastic15-00052.jpg

So-hye and her friends go shopping for her lingerie, and they poke fun at So-hye for not doing anything with Hae-sung even though they live under the same roof. Meanwhile, the men have also created their own club which includes Hae-sung, Pil-ho, Manager Oh, and Sang-wook. They feast over food and drinks that are known to be good for men’s stamina, and celebrate the last day of Hae-sung’s bachelorhood. When a toast is proposed, Hae-sung pours a glass in honor of Joon-ki, and they happily clink glasses.

At a café, So-hye, Sul, and Mi-sun recreate their high school photo, and promise to keep taking them in the future. So-hye receives a call from Sang-hwa, and her face falls. Ominously, So-hye narrates, “Amongst the gifts of everyday, there isn’t only good presents.”

fantastic15-00139.jpg

News articles revealing Hae-sung’s mug shot and criminal history plaster the internet. Hae-sung scrolls through the articles, and Jin-sook calls. She explains that she lost her phone, and when Hae-sung states that this is a breach of their contract, she flatly tells him that she’s also a victim. Hence, if Hae-sung still wants to press charges against her, he better be prepared for a long legal battle.

After hanging up, Hae-sung voices his concerns for the drama, and decides to call So-hye to let her know the news. Of course, So-hye already saw the articles and is already at the broadcast station. She meets the director who tells her that their drama will get an early cancellation.

fantastic15-00213.jpg fantastic15-00226.jpg

Furious, So-hye marches past the director to personally talk with the higher-ups. They’re not surprised to see her, and tell So-hye that she’ll have to revise the drama since they are ending it at six episodes, because they can’t have a previous drug dealer as the hero of their drama. So-hye argues that the incident is in the past, and that it’s too early to decide. Unfortunately, the public wants Hae-sung out, and the decision has been made.

In the hallway, So-hye runs into Jin-sook who’s here to discuss the scheduling for her new drama which will be replacing Hitman. She’s despicable as always, and So-hye barely manages to keep herself from exploding.

Once Jin-sook leaves, So-hye firmly states that she isn’t going to change her script since this whole situation is an abuse of power by the station. She tells the director that they’ll find a different route to finish their drama, and they share a little cheer to raise their spirits.

fantastic15-00277.jpg

At home, Hae-sung stares at his toy train until So-hye comes by and hands him a beer. He’s quit drinking, but she thinks one beer would be appropriate since it was an especially hard day. Hae-sung corrects her, saying that it was an especially eye-opening day for him.

Hae-sung declares his intentions to resuscitate Hitman no matter what since he learned all the techniques from Joon-ki. He suggests putting the drama online, and promises to take responsibility until the end because he’s the producer, lead actor, and So-hye’s man. The mood turns romantic, but before they can do anything, Manager Oh calls out for Hae-sung.

In the living room, two police officers are here to take Hae-sung for questioning about drug possession because of a recent influx of reports. Hae-sung complies with their request since avoiding the situation will only make people more suspicious. Noticing So-hye’s fear, Hae-sung acts brave and reassures her that everything will be fine.

fantastic15-00323.jpg

Sang-wook meets Sul at a coffee shop, and tells her that he filed the complaint and handed over the account book to the prosecutors. Sul still feels nervous about the situation, so Sang-wook tells her a story about a baby elephant tied to a post. When the elephant grew old and was untied to the post, the elephant still couldn’t leave because of past memories. He compares Sul to the elephant and says that they’ll pull out that post together.

They leave the café, and their hands brush against each other for a second. Hyperaware and awkward, Sang-wook offers Sul a ride to her mother’s nursing facility, and when Sul says that it’s a long ride, Sang-wook happily exclaims that long is good. He quickly tries to explain himself, but Sul cuts him off, telling him that she’ll accept his offer.

fantastic15-00364.jpg fantastic15-00367.jpg

Jerk-face arrives home, and soon after, Jin-sook and her mother come home after being at the hospital. Mom got the doctor to diagnose her with Alzheimer’s, and Jerk-face praises her for writing a stack of fake account books. He gleefully explains how they’ll lie about Mom writing account books due to Alzheimer’s, thus questioning the authenticity of the real account book. Just then, Jerk-face gets a call, and he yells in surprise.

At a club, Jerk-face pours a drink for his prosecutor buddy, and tells him that his wife has depression. The prosecutor still finds it hard to believe he let his wife file a complaint, so Jerk-face cries that his mom has Alzheimer’s. He then goes on to explain that the account book is fake, and also adds that Sang-wook is having an affair with his wife. Jerk-face wails about his situation, and the prosecutor agrees to help him out.

fantastic15-00398.jpg fantastic15-00403.jpg

Sul and Sang-wook walk to the prosecutors’ office, and he tells her to be calm before they go inside. The prosecutor who interrogates them is Jerk-face’s friend, and watching them through the mirror is Jerk-face. The prosecutor immediately questions Sul and Sang-wook’s relationship, and warns Sang-wook that this is pointless. He accuses Sang-wook for losing his dignity as a lawyer, but Sang-wook criticizes the prosecutor for losing his dignity before marching out.

At a café, Sang-wook tries to lift the mood, reminding Sul that they knew it was going to be difficult, but Sul feels guilty for tarnishing Sang-wook’s name. He proudly declares that he’s a lawyer who fights for justice, and says that he hasn’t given up. Meanwhile, Jerk-face and his horrible family celebrate their win against Sul, and Jerk-face brags about how power is superior to intelligence. Assuming the worst to be over, they raise their wine glasses and toast.

fantastic15-00453.jpg

Manager Oh makes phone calls to reporters, trying to explain Hae-sung’s situation, and at the apartment, So-hye paces back and forth, waiting for Hae-sung who’s been gone for two days. She hears the front door open, but rather than Hae-sung, it’s a surprise visit from Hae-sung’s grandmother!

Grandmother immediately assumes So-hye is Sul, and nags her for living in Hae-sung’s house. So-hye tells Grandmother her name, and she excitedly says, “You’re Hae-sung’s first love!” They move to the couch, and after asking about So-hye’s family, Grandmother happily states that So-hye will get married and have kids soon.

fantastic15-00531.jpg

She notices So-hye’s crestfallen expression, and asks if she hates marriage or perhaps Hae-sung. So-hye quickly denies both, so Grandmother asks if she’s divorced and has kids. Again, So-hye says she doesn’t, so Grandmother doesn’t see what the problem is then. So-hye bows her head and admits that she’s a cancer patient. 

Hae-sung arrives home, and rushes upstairs when Manager Oh tells him that his grandmother is here. Inside, Grandmother is sleeping on the couch, and So-hye hesitantly places an ice-pack on her forehead. The cold shocks Grandmother, and now having woken up, she asks So-hye to make her food.

So-hye hurries to the kitchen and attempts to make seaweed soup. However, So-hye doesn’t even know the basics like soaking the seaweed in water before boiling, and Grandmother has to direct her in every step, though it’s mostly just Grandmother nagging while So-hye freezes and tries to remedy her mistakes.

fantastic15-00548.jpg fantastic15-00553.jpg

Hae-sung arrives and hugs his grandmother. He asks if she met So-hye, and Grandmother informs him that they’ve met and even had a private chat. Everyone sits down to eat, and Grandmother compliments So-hye on the soup. Tentatively, Hae-sung and Manager Oh take a sip, and are pleasantly surprised by the taste.

Grandmother suddenly turns to So-hye and tells her that she looks like someone who will live a thousand years. She explains how she lost her daughter who was around So-hye’s age, and even if someone appears healthy on the outside, you never know when death will come.

fantastic15-00593.jpg

As Grandmother gets ready to leave, she hugs So-hye, and then orders Hae-sung to not bother her. Inside the elevator, she adorably waves good-bye to So-hye. After making sure Grandmother went home safely, Hae-sung returns home, and bumps So-hye out of the way to do the dishes. He cites that he needs to treat So-hye well so she doesn’t abandon him since he might lose everything soon.

She reassures him that she won’t leave, and even states that she’ll write him a script if no one else will. Hae-sung promises that he’ll do whatever to support her, but then sighs when thinking about their wedding since he wanted to make it nice. So-hye says that they could have their wedding here, and Hae-sung smiles like a goof.

fantastic15-00629.jpg

So-hye publishes her blog, and writes another entry about Hae-sung. Underneath photos of Hae-sung doing the dishes, So-hye writes about how everyone makes mistakes and grows from them. Hae-sung made a mistake, but now he’s the most dignified person she knows which is why he’s her hero. However, So-hye’s words are ignored since her blog doesn’t even have one visit.

Sul enters the room, and So-hye tells her that she’s getting married tomorrow. Sul is happy to hear the news since all a wedding needs is a bride and groom. Feeling tired, So-hye gets up to leave, and Sul uses her laptop to search up something that makes her frown.

fantastic15-00678.jpg

Wedding time! So-hye and Hae-sung walk hand in hand down a boardwalk as their friends clap and celebrate with them. They put on their rings, and then read their vows together. Sang-wook declares them legally married, and the crowd chants for a kiss. Hae-sung willingly obliges, and they share a quick peck on the lips.

So-hye looks at her friends, and then sees Joon-ki standing in the back, clapping happily. She smiles, knowing that he’s here in spirit. Next on the itinerary is the bouquet toss, and it ends up in Sang-wook’s hand, though he quickly hands it to Sul much to (mostly) everyone’s amusement.

fantastic15-00750.jpg fantastic15-00755.jpg

Afterwards, they take group photos which are sweet and adorable. Everyone then sits down for food, and Manager Oh makes a toast, hinting at the special night. Hae-sung jokes along, and warns everyone to not call him tonight.

The newlyweds arrive home, and Hae-sung starts kissing So-hye. She pushes him away since she needs to change first, and he tells her to hurry. So-hye wears the lingerie she bought for this occasion and puts on lipstick. However, she pauses for a moment, and places a hand on her chest, knowing that the cancer is hiding underneath. Taking a deep breath, So-hye smiles at her reflection.

fantastic15-00831.jpg fantastic15-00830.jpg

Meanwhile, Hae-sung throws rose petals on the ground and does push-ups as he waits for So-hye. Once she walks in, he hides behind a wall, and shyly smiles. After acting bashful, Hae-sung guides So-hye to bed, and the camera blurs out as they start to have sexy fun times. Suddenly, an alarm goes off, and they get up to check it out.

The alarm turns out to be Manager Oh with a horn, and he tells them that there’s an article about their marriage. So-hye and Hae-sung read the article which describes their love, So-hye’s illness, and words of encouragement. The comments are also positive, and Hae-sung’s fans have returned to his side. Having delivered the good news, Manager Oh excuses himself, and the couple runs back to bed.

fantastic15-00888.jpg

Later that night, Hae-sung and So-hye lie in bed and stare up at the ceiling with lights projected on it. So-hye says that this is more romantic than Salar de Uyuni, and gently caresses Hae-sung’s face. They stare at each other for a while, and then kiss.

Manager Oh runs into Sul who’s just returning to the apartment to cook food. She tells him that she’ll have a delicious meal ready for dinner, which he interprets as something just for him. Manager Oh is so smitten that he trips on his way out, and Sul giggles at his obviousness.

fantastic15-00914.jpg

She looks up Jerk-face online, but the news and comments are all positive. On the other hand, Sang-wook receives an email telling him that he’s being investigated for not acting accordingly as a lawyer. Frustrated, Sul decides to write an online post, and describes the true nature of Jerk-face and his slush funds. She also includes a video and photos of Jerk-face’s hidden wealth, and uploads all of it online.

Sul grabs her jacket and runs outside. She ends up in front of Sang-wook’s door, but he’s not there. She walks back to the apartment, but waiting for her outside is Sang-wook. She tells him that she stirred up trouble today, and he says that he’s going to stir up trouble right now. Sang-wook tells Sul that he’ll protect her, and pulls her into a hug. He then finally declares the words he was saving: “I love you.” Hugging him back, Sul lets a tear roll down her cheek.

fantastic15-00968.jpg

So-hye picks out an outfit with Sul’s help, and giddily goes out for her date. She’s the first to arrive at the park, and waits for Hae-sung on the bench. Suddenly, So-hye sees Joon-ki again, but this time he wears a solemn expression while holding a balloon.

Joon-ki turns around and walks away from So-hye. On the other side, Hae-sung arrives and calls out So-hye’s name. He waves at her, but So-hye’s attention remains glued on Joon-ki’s receding back. Joon-ki lets go of the balloon, and as it floats up to the sky, So-hye’s breathing turns shallow. Slowly turning her head towards Hae-sung, So-hye faints, falling onto the bench, and Hae-sung runs to her.

fantastic15-01027.jpg fantastic15-01021.jpg

COMMENTS

This was a happy penultimate episode. If this were any other drama, this would be the finale, but Fantastic isn’t one of those dramas. However, I’ll let my tears wait for the next episode because that wasn’t the point of this one. What I loved about this episode is that it really overflowed with happiness. First of all, So-hye and Hae-sung finally got married, and while it may not have been the spectacle Hae-sung had originally intended, it was small, sweet, and perfect for our couple. The photo sessions were too cute, and I love how Hae-sung has his group of guys now like So-hye. I can’t believe it took them this long to make it, but better late than never.

While the wedding was adorable, I also found the scene with Hae-sung’s grandmother to be really endearing. At first, it appeared that Grandmother disapproved, which was why So-hye was apprehensive in the beginning. However, once Grandmother complimented her cooking and then told her that people never truly know when death will come, it made me so happy for So-hye. Grandmother’s response was poignant and heartbreaking when you actually think about what she told So-hye. She has lost her daughter, and reconnected with Hae-sung after he was a grown-up. That probably means that Grandmother was alone all this time, having lost both her child and grandchild. She has experienced truly tragic loss, and despite that, she warmly embraces So-hye because she understands the fragility of life. Grandmother truly is such a cutie that it’s a shame the show didn’t capitalize on her more.

fantastic15-00775.jpg

A small caveat I have about the show is the issue of family. While the strength of the drama is in its portrayal of friendship and love, I think the writer really dropped the ball when it comes to “family.” You could argue that family doesn’t have to be purely biological and normative, but in many cases, I just think the show simply forgot about addressing family in order to emphasize the friendships. For example, So-hye has an older sister and brother, but neither of them know about So-hye’s cancer yet. Also, if an article was written about So-hye’s illness, doesn’t this mean her family should technically know? I understand why the show would not want to introduce them into the story all of the sudden, but part of the problem is that family was never integrated into the plot as well as the other relationships were. Besides So-hye’s family, I also think the show did a poor job with Jamie and how Joon-ki’s death affected her. She is just a side character, but she is his sister and knew him the longest. Losing a friend and losing a sibling (one that I presume Jamie admired and loved) have different traumatic effects. Granted, it’s the same underlying issue with So-hye’s family in that Jamie isn’t a major character, so the show doesn’t develop that plot line. Regardless, for a drama that’s excelled at creating relationships and revealing the nuances of friendship and love, it’s a shame that family ties were never truly explored in relation to cancer.

Another ray of sunshine this episode was Sul and Sang-wook. It was frustrating to see Jerk-face shirk the rules and use his influence to stop Sul. However, it also forced Sul to be even more proactive in bringing him down, so I’m happy that it spurred her to accept her feelings and act on them. Similarly, these setbacks also pushed Sang-wook to confess his feelings, and those two are just too sweet together. The show really hasn’t hidden the fact that Sul and Sang-wook are going to be a couple, and if I have anything to look forward to in the next episode, it’s at least knowing that those two will be together, happily in love. Also, I’m hoping for Jerk-face to fall, and am especially hoping Jin-sook gets justice, too. It seems obvious that Jerk-face will come to his demise because he’s been skating on thin ice, but I hope the show doesn’t forget about Jin-sook, because she’s been harassing Hae-sung for years.

This episode was definitely the calm before the storm, and I appreciated the moment of happiness I got to experience alongside our characters. But if that ending scene was a sign, then I best be armed with some tissues for the last episode. I don’t want Joon-ki to take So-hye just yet, but even if the end is near, I at least know that So-hye was happy and lived her days to the fullest besides her fantastic man, Hae-sung.

fantastic15-00733.jpg

cr: http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/10/fantastic-episode-15/

Fantastic: Episode 16 (Final)

by lovepark | October 27, 2016 | 14 Comments

fantastic16-01346a.jpg

It’s the final episode, which means we’ll have to say goodbye to these lovely characters. All the way to the end, the show never loses sight of itself, and for a drama about cancer, it spreads a joyful message about appreciating the blessing of life. Though this may be farewell, the lives of these characters will continue on as they march towards the future while enjoying every second of the present.

Spoiler

FINAL EPISODE RECAP

fantastic16-01033.jpg fantastic16-01031.jpg

So-hye waits at the park for Hae-sung, and in the distance, envisions Joon-ki standing off in the distance holding a balloon. He walks away from her, and as he lets the balloon go, So-hye loses consciousness. Hae-sung sees her fall, and runs to her side.

At the hospital, Jamie explains to Hae-sung that there’s a clot in So-hye’s artery that they need to remove with surgery, but for now, they’ll try to dissolve it using medicine. However, taking more medicine on top of her treatment for cancer will be difficult, so Jamie encourages Hae-sung to give So-hye strength.

fantastic16-01057.jpg

Hae-sung visits So-hye in her room, but as she wakes, So-hye starts to panic. She doesn’t recognize Hae-sung, and attempts to get out of bed. Hae-sung fights back, keeping her in place, and So-hye’s senses return. He explains that she fainted, and So-hye drifts back to sleep.

Outside the room, Manager Oh tells Hae-sung that he has a packed schedule, but Hae-sung requests for everything to be pushed back because he wants to stay by So-hye. Manager Oh complies, and Hae-sung returns to So-hye’s side, dutifully watching over her.

fantastic16-01106.jpg fantastic16-01104.jpg

Jerk-face and his mother praise and laugh with each other until Jin-sook comes running in, bearing bad news. They learn about Sul’s post, and Jerk-face reactively calls her. Sul is with Sang-wook when she answers the phone, and she curses Jerk-face before hanging up. Belatedly, Sul realizes that Sang-wook witnessed everything and admits that she used to “play” in the past. Despite his rigid posture, he quickly announces that it’s exactly his style.

They visit So-hye at the hospital who wakes up to see them. So-hye reaches out her hand towards Sang-wook, and tenderly asks him to stay by her side. Jealous, Hae-sung steals away So-hye’s hand, but she fearfully pulls away from him, unable to recognize him again. 

fantastic16-01121.jpg

Stepping out, Sul asks if So-hye is truly alright, and Hae-sung tells her not to worry. She promises to come back later with food, and Hae-sung suggests that Sang-wook stay behind next time. Hae-sung returns to So-hye’s side, and disheartened, asks a sleeping So-hye why she always leaves him out.

Jerk-face’s home has turned into a meeting room as they come up with a plan to fix this mess. At first, Jerk-face wants to drag Sul through the mud, but his advisor thinks that will only hurt his image. He suggests acting like an accepting husband and then revealing Sul’s scandals. That way, Jerk-face will look like an understanding leader and victim.

fantastic16-01190.jpg fantastic16-01189.jpg

So-hye wakes up, and the first thing she sees is a huge heart made out of photos from her wedding. In the middle is a red heart stating, “I’m Ryu Hae-sung! Lee So-hye’s husband! Lee So-hye is Ryu Hae-sung’s wife!”

She gets up and touches the heart, and turns around to see Hae-sung sleeping on the couch. She gingerly pulls up his coat, but Hae-sung wakes up at her touch. Instinctively, he asks if she knows who he is, and So-hye replies that he’s the universal, big-star Hae-sung. He then questions her about Sang-wook, wondering if that’s her style. So-hye shakes her head, and her answer lifts his mood.

When So-hye mentions that she’s hungry, Hae-sung quickly sets up food, but after taking a bite, So-hye starts to look queasy. She continues to shovel food in her mouth because she needs to eat in order to get better, but in the end, runs to the bathroom to puke. So-hye refuses to eat after that, and goes to bed. Just then, she sees Joon-ki standing in the corner, but he disappears when Hae-sung tries to look, too.

fantastic16-01235.jpg fantastic16-01231.jpg

News articles reveal Jerk-face’s demise, and we see pictures of him covered in flour and egg while at his rally. The assemblywoman calls another politician and says that she’s abandoning Jerk-face. As her car is about to leave, Jerk-face runs in front, and then grovels at her. The assemblywoman coldly reminds him of her warning that she won’t help him when he falls, and drives away.

At home, Jerk-face’s mom calls her contacts, but everyone seems unsympathetic to their plight. Jin-sook thinks the assemblywoman will help Jerk-face since they were having an affair, but Jerk-face comes through the door, wailing about how he’s been abandoned.

fantastic16-01244.jpg

Following behind Jerk-face, his secretary enters, holding the gift Jerk-face gave to his prosecutor friend, and soon after, suited men from the prosecutors’ office barge inside with a search and seizure warrant. They also visit Jerk-face’s law firm and Jin-sook’s management office, and pack everything away.

Sul and Sang-wook leave the prosecutors’ office, and Sul sighs since she doesn’t feel as relieved as she thought she would. She thanks Sang-wook for all his help, but still can’t break her habit of calling him dong-saeng. Cheerily, Sang-wook offers changing his name, and then brings up the issue of payment. Instead of money, he wants Sul to give him more motorcycle rides, and Sul agrees to take him on one right now.

fantastic16-01262.jpg

So-hye is surrounded by her friends at the hospital, but tells them to leave since she wants to sleep. However, as soon as they exit, she runs to the bathroom to throw up. Upstairs in the secret garden, Hae-sung meets with Jamie, and she hands him a consent form he needs to sign for So-hye’s surgery.

She explains that the surgery is risky, and So-hye might die during it. Anxiously, Hae-sung asks if So-hye will be okay, but Jamie refuses to give him false hope, telling him that So-hye will die if she doesn’t get surgery next time her blood pressure drops.

fantastic16-01285.jpg

Hae-sung wipes away his tears, and enters So-hye’s room with a smile. She doesn’t return his enthusiasm, and informs him that the director called her. She orders him to leave and go about his business, but Hae-sung is more concerned about whether So-hye ate.

He tries to get her to eat, but So-hye screams at him, letting out her frustration. She’s sick and tired, and hates hearing him always tell her to be strong. Hae-sung argues back that she can’t give up, but So-hye yells that willpower alone won’t beat cancer. She’s exhausted from acting brave, and in response, Hae-sung decides to starve with her.

fantastic16-01324.jpg fantastic16-01330.jpg

He says that they’ll give up and die together because he’s also tired of acting positive. So-hye cries at him to stop, and Hae-sung tenderly asks if So-hye would continue fighting for his sake because he’ll be by her side. Weeping, So-hye wonders for how long she’ll have to struggle, and hugging So-hye, Hae-sung whispers for her to fight just a little longer.

So-hye finally concedes to Hae-sung’s wishes, and they sit side by side to eat. So-hye apologizes for being weak earlier, but Hae-sung doesn’t hold it against her. He lovingly feeds her, and So-hye tries her best to swallow the porridge.

fantastic16-01366.jpg fantastic16-01367.jpg

They escape to Joon-ki’s secret garden, and So-hye appreciates the view of the night sky. She asks Hae-sung when he started to love her, and he says that it was the moment he gave her a ticket to his play. She notes that it was love at first sight, but Hae-sung corrects himself, telling her that he actually saw So-hye days before, sitting on a bench, and worked up the courage to hand her a ticket.

He asks when she first fell in love with him, but So-hye doesn’t remember. She then asks him for a favor to go back home and look at a video on her old phone for her. Thus, Hae-sung runs to the apartment, and finds So-hye’s old phone.

He turns it on, and as instructed, he plays the saved video. It’s a recording of Hae-sung when he was handing out tickets, and in the background, So-hye tells Mi-sun that Hae-sung is good-looking and acts nervous whenever he looks their way. Hae-sung laughs out loud, realizing that So-hye fell in love with him at first sight, too. A call from Manager Oh breaks him out of his reverie, and Hae-sung’s expression darkens after answering the phone.

fantastic16-01401.jpg fantastic16-01411.jpg

Jamie carts So-hye towards the surgery room, and luckily, Hae-sung arrives in time to see her. He holds her hand until the last moment, and then the wait begins. More people stop by to wait with Hae-sung, and in the surgery room, So-hye’s blood pressure falls again. Jamie starts compression, but So-hye’s heart fails to respond.

In the woods, So-hye walks up to a tree, and stuck in its branches is the balloon Joon-ki was holding. Sitting beneath another tree, Joon-ki scolds her for coming so early when he specifically told her to play. So-hye expresses her awe at him for living for five more years because she’s already exhausted. Joon-ki says that it’s like hiking: sometimes there are steep, difficult parts, but afterwards, there are always rest and viewing areas.

fantastic16-01464.jpg fantastic16-01462.jpg

So-hye admits that she just wants to rest and stay here. Joon-ki asks if she has no regrets, and So-hye replies that she was happy. He pushes her further, asking about her friends and Hae-sung, but So-hye thinks they’ll get better over time just like how she did after Joon-ki died.

Joon-ki tells her that some people believe the dead are reborn in the memories of the living. However, the dead can’t remember. He has one final question for So-hye, and asks if she doesn’t want to touch, hug, and say things to the people she left behind.

Out in the waiting room, Hae-sung suddenly jumps up, and worryingly stares at the glass doors. In the surgery room, Jamie continues CPR, but So-hye flatlines.

fantastic16-01484.jpg

One year has passed, and Hae-sung dresses in a black suit while Manager Oh contemplates about how it’s already been a year. Elsewhere, Mi-sun and Pil-ho also get ready to leave, and Mi-sun is pregnant! She wishes the baby to be a girl and wants to name her “So-hye.”

Meanwhile, Sul walks down the streets and witnesses a man chuck his bag at his girlfriend. The girlfriend wants to break up, but the abusive boyfriend threatens to hit her. Sul intervenes like a superhero, and apprehends the boyfriend. She asks if the girlfriend wants help, and once she nods her head, Sul advises her to leave.

fantastic16-01508.jpg

Infuriated, the boyfriend throws off Sul, and menacingly growls that he’ll hit her instead. Just then, Sang-wook arrives and stops the boyfriend by citing all the laws against dating violence. He then leads Sul away, and opens the door to a nice car.

He leans over to buckle Sul in, and the awkward tension from their flirting stage is gone. He notices a cut on Sul’s hand and tells her to take care of herself because she’s his most precious person. Laughing, Sul reminds him that they’re late. At least some things don’t change.

fantastic16-01545.jpg fantastic16-01544.jpg

Everyone gathers in the woods by a tree that also happens to be the one So-hye visited during her surgery. They comment about Mi-sun’s growing belly, and we learn that Hitmanwas such a success that Hae-sung is currently negotiating rights to a US remake. They’re still waiting for someone, though, and Manager Oh mentions that Jamie told him she’d be here early. Coming up the hill, the latecomers arrive, and it’s Jamie with So-hye! I forgot that this show is such a troll.

Jamie apologizes for their tardiness since all the patients love hearing So-hye’s talks, and then she exchanges winks and hearts with Manager Oh. (Well, that was random.) Today turns out to be the one year anniversary of Joon-ki’s death, and So-hye comments on how it’s nice to meet up at least once a year.

fantastic16-01571.jpg

Sul laughs, saying that they meet up every week, but Hae-sung chimes in that it’s more like every two days. They line up to take a group photo, and afterwards, they each say good-bye to Joon-ki. When it’s So-hye’s turn, she thinks to herself that her heart has been doing well after stopping that day. Some called it a miracle while other’s said it was the power of love. For her, she still doesn’t know why she lived.

In her office, So-hye adds the group photo of their recent visit to Joon-ki to her heart-shaped collage on her wall.

So-hye: “While spending these blessed times heaven has given me, I decided to never again give up on this life full of pain. Although at times it was painful, so what. There’s no greater blessing that being alive.”

fantastic16-01591.jpg fantastic16-01605.jpg

As So-hye and Sang-hwa get off the elevator, Hae-sung jumps in front of them, ordering them to stop. He brags that he’s well prepared for the script reading today, and So-hye whispers to Sang-hwa that he really did practice a lot. They walk together to the script reading of their new drama, and it’s the same staff from before.

The time for Hae-sung’s first lines approach, and hilariously, he’s still as awful as he was in the past. The director patiently gives him instructions about the emotions of the scene, and Hae-sung tries again, though he makes no improvements. Everyone watches him read with their jaws to the floor, and when it’s time for him to cry, Hae-sung attempts to wring out tears by not blinking. This will never get old.

fantastic16-01643.jpg

So-hye whispers encouragements to Hae-sung, and reminds him to concentrate on his emotions. Something clicks in his head, and Hae-sung recalls his moments with So-hye. Staring at her, he recites his lines and says, “Don’t die.” Tears spring up in So-hye’s eyes, and the room explodes into applause for Hae-sung.

In the lobby, Jin-sook continues her old tricks as she passes an envelope to a fledging actor sitting across from her. She tells him that she made Hae-sung into a star, but right then, Hae-sung and So-hye arrive to interrupt her business.

He advises the young actor to step away from Jin-sook if he doesn’t want to ruin his life since he’s speaking from experience. Then, Manager Oh introduces himself as the CEO of Hyesung Entertainment, and hands the actor his business card, telling him to come talk to him if he wants to turn out like Hae-sung. After they leave, the young actor chases after them, and Jin-sook screams in rage.

fantastic16-01720.jpg fantastic16-01716.jpg

At Jerk-face’s house, Mom is dressed in old garments, and cooks ramyun for dinner. Jerk-face complains about the food, so she scolds her petulant son for expecting his old mother to cook for him. She wants to him to find work so they can hire a housekeeper, but Jerk-face is too proud to work under someone.

Jin-sook comes home to see her family eating ramyun, and when she asks for bowls, Mom tells her to do the dishes then. She steals the lid from Jerk-face, and the two bicker again. Mom reminisces about Sul’s cooking, and Jerk-face agrees that Sul’s food was good. Jin-sook yells at them for bringing her up, but admits that Sul made tasty kimchi. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

fantastic16-01747.jpg

Hae-sung says good-bye to So-hye who’s going on a trip. He wishes her safe travels, but also warns her against drinking tea with random men while traveling. They hug one last time before she gets on the elevator, and Hae-sung blows her kisses.

On the plane, So-hye is with Sul and Mi-sun who are accompanying her to finally visit Uyuni. So-hye films everything, and they can’t hide their excitement for the trip. Unbeknownst to them, two suspicious men covering their faces with magazines sit behind So-hye and Sul.

fantastic16-01770.jpg fantastic16-01769.jpg

So-hye sends a text to Hae-sung, and a familiar ringtone goes off in the plane. The two men turn out to be Hae-sung and Sang-wook, and Sang-wook wonders if Manager Oh is really not coming with them. Hae-sung explains that he’s busy dating, and from across the aisle, Pil-ho eagerly joins the gossip.

Getting excited, Hae-sung tells them that Manager Oh is dating Jamie, and witnessing their bewildered faces, Hae-sung laughs out loud. So-hye recognizes his laugh, and turns around to see her husband sitting behind her. They sheepishly try to hide, but their covers are blown. With the whole gang together, they visit Salar de Uyuni and pose together for one last group photo.

fantastic16-01802.jpg

COMMENTS

Well, that last episode surprised me to say the least. I’m happy that they’re happy, and a part of me is glad So-hye is alive and enjoying life. This will probably be a very unpopular opinion, but I will admit that I was also a bit disappointed that everything ended so… “happy.” It’s not that I expected a tragedy because that would have been uncharacteristic of the show, but the ending was a bit too neat for me. It’s probably because the show executed Joon-ki’s final farewell so well, that I feel like the actual ending for the drama felt less poignant in comparison. Sure, So-hye learned to appreciate life as a blessing even if it’s painful, and she realized that striving to live is wholly more worthy than giving up no matter what happens. Yet, I feel like we could have still gotten those messages without everything feeling overly saccharine. This optimistic and sweet atmosphere worked for the penultimate episode because there’s the niggling feeling in the back of your mind that So-hye may not live to see tomorrow. Hence, as a viewer, I warmly embraced the happiness because it felt precious and fragile. 

However, the ending didn’t really have that feeling, and it’s not because So-hye didn’t die. I feel like the director could have done a better job setting the tone for show after the time jump that still preserved the warmth that was displayed in previous episodes. Even with So-hye surviving the surgery and overcoming that hurdle, the last quarter of the show was oddly chirpy. I still really enjoyed seeing the various characters continuing with their lives, and thought Hae-sung’s foot-acting was hilarious (that bug-eyed expression killed me). Despite all that, I felt that everything ended too perfectly, and while I still thought the final episode was satisfactory overall, I was just hoping for more. It also didn’t help that the show ended with such an obviously photoshopped picture of the group at the salt flats. It added to the cheap feeling of the ending, and if I could make a comparison, it was like finishing a hearty, home-cooked meal but then receiving a Twinkie for dessert.

Despite of some of my complaints, the ending didn’t disappoint me that much. It wasn’t what I was hoping for, but even up to the end, I still think the show stayed true to its roots. The story centered on relationships and living life without regrets, and its greatest strength was the friendships developed throughout the story. It was great to see that everyone’s bonds remained intact through the year, and from the way they acted, it looks like they’ll maintain these friendships until the end. Even with its flaws, I enjoyed every episode and loved watching these fabulous characters grow in their relationships. The show dealt with some heavy topics, but it always tried to stay hopefully. The characters struggled and faced challenges, but they continued to fight and persevere.

I initially watched this show because of Kim Hyun-joo, and this show reaffirmed why I love her. She’s a fabulous actress, and I find her stunningly beautiful. She was charming as So-hye, and struck the right balance between feisty and vulnerable. She never felt haughty, and even when So-hye would say or do hurtful things out of fear and pain, I credit Kim Hyun-joo for making her sympathetic. On the other hand, I was surprised by how much I loved the other actors after this show. Joo Sang-wook was hilarious, and though his hair was a tube too greasy, he really made Hae-sung a loving character. He was very animated and expressive, and I commend him for making Hae-sung an endearing character who’s more than a goof. I also loved Park Shi-yeon who made Sul gorgeous both on the outside and inside. She depicted both the submissive Sul and hot-blooded Sul well, so that neither felt out of place or contradictory. The hot-blooded Sul was always underneath the submissive one, but years of abuse caused the spirited nature of Sul to retract within herself as a defense mechanism.

fantastic16-01579.jpg

The last actor I want to mention is Kim Tae-hoon because he blew me out of the water. I’ve only seen him in more serious roles, and I always remembered him as the more evil-looking version of Kim Tae-woo (his older brother who’s also an actor). However, I take back any negative thoughts I might have had towards him, because he was simply amazing as Joon-ki. While So-hye and Hae-sung are the undeniable protagonists of this show (and I loved them both), Joon-ki was my favorite. Much of that was due to Kim Tae-hoon’s performance and ability to make Joon-ki feel infallible yet vulnerable at the same time. His dimples were adorable, but it’s not just Joon-ki’s infectious smile that made me fall in love. It was the interesting juxtaposition of unbounded joy and acceptance of reality within Joon-ki that endeared me to him. 

He faced death numerous times, and basically lived with a ticking time bomb in his body. However, he was one of the brightest and happiest characters on the show. Interestingly, humor also seemed to be his defense mechanism, and there’s something tragic about a character that can laugh at death but is also hiding his greatest fears under that laugh. My heart cried every time Kim Tae-hoon would smile or wave, but a quiver in his voice or the tears in his eyes would betray his most inner feelings. Joon-ki was a great character who was more than a second-male lead, vying for the heroine’s attention. He was, in part, the heart of the show who constantly guided our main couple, and I can’t imagine anyone else but Kim Tae-hoon in this role.

One thing that I liked about this show that I haven’t talked about was the concept of reuniting. A lot of the relationships portrayed in the drama, especially concerning So-hye, were those of reunion. She reached out to her old friends she lost contact with, and her relationship with Hae-sung was also a rekindling of their old relationship. It’s obvious how impactful finding her friends again were to So-hye because it reminded her of her past as well as helped her maintain her past identity pre-cancer diagnosis. However, while I usually roll my eyes at the first-love setup, I actually thought it was an important part of So-hye and Hae-sung’s relationship beyond kdrama’s fixation with purity and first loves. Since our leads had a history together, we didn’t need to see the initial stage of getting to know one another or pondering about what would happen if they separated. 

The fact that Hae-sung lost So-hye once because of his mistake, gave him more urgency when he reunited with her and learned about her cancer. He had already experienced life without her, so he was fully aware that he would rather have her in his life even if that time might be short. In a sense, So-hye and Hae-sung went through the typical stages of misunderstanding and noble idiocy off screen, so more of the relationship we saw were developments in the later stages of dating. As a result, it was a more mature relationship—as mature as Hae-sung can be that is—and less about gut reactions and awkward tensions (we got those cute moments from Sul and Sang-wook). It also makes it more realistic that Hae-sung would want to stay by So-hye while she battled cancer because his feelings for her weren’t solely based on the initial butterflies you feel when dating.

While on this topic, I found it endearing that both our leads fell in love at first sight with one another and just revealed that fact this episode to each other. It’s cheesy, but these two were truly meant to be. Even if that journey was tumultuous and winding, they found each other in the end, and I would argue that those roadblocks made their relationship stronger. It’s always bittersweet to say good-bye to a show because of the time invested in the characters and their lives, but I’m just thankful to have been able to watch such a charming drama. Though it wasn’t the most exciting or well-paced, I loved every episode wholeheartedly and will remember these lovable characters for a while.

fantastic16-01758.jpg

19_fantastic1.jpg

cr: http://www.dramabeans.com/2016/10/fantastic-episode-16-final/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived