[Drama 2016/2017] The Legend of The Blue Sea 푸른 바다의 전설

ilwoo_aein

4 hours ago, sia3 said:

@puppy8888 @mythicalove

I understand how everyone feel about Jeon Ji Hyun not being awarded. Technically, these award shows can do whatever they want if they really want to hand the award out. However, I wonder if this it was because she has previously been awarded a Daesang in 2014 for You Who Came From the Stars. Thus, to give her a Top Excellence would be considered degrading? I tried to look through the list of past winners for SBS Drama Awards on Wikipedia, my eyes are about to pop out trying to confirm this, but it does seem like those who has won Daesang hasn't been given Top Excellence after (or they just didn't have a drama after...hard to say). Han Suk Kyo has now won twice for Daesang, and Lee Min Ho had a few Top Excellence under his belt. I'm taking this as it's okay to give award of the same level, but not okay to downgrade. Just throwing this possible reason out there for all that felt cheated for her.

-------

Every year these award shows will try to give out as many awards as possible by shuffling around or create new award category so that they can distribute the awards evenly. SBS and all other award broadcast stations' award shows reward dramas that give them high ratings (aka. high profit), and not necessarily awarding them because they had breakthrough performances. All these years of following Korean dramas have proven to me that the quality of a drama and its ratings/popularity do not go hand in hand. What I am trying to say is even though Moon Lover/Scarlet Heart may be a rating flop in Korea, it is not overseas. In China alone, SBS would have earned a lot from 2.5 billions views on Youku and other international broadcasting. Therefore, SBS is rewarding Moon Lover's casts for this, and they have to award some of them because SBS managament recognises their worth and their star power in Korea and overseas. As for Faith, if we must compare, in terms of ratings it did do better than Moon Lovers, but not profit. Yes, there's a small portion of fans who love it, but really that was it. Fact is Faith didn't make enough money to cover the high budget production. Like @mythicalove has pointed out, Lee Min Ho was awarded that year, but I interpreted it as SBS management acknowledging his worth rather than he was great as Daejang (hmph!). Sadly, this is how Korea's awarding system has always been, and it ALWAYS boggle my mind since I believe the actors should be awarded for their acting performances, not on the grounds that their dramas draw in $$$ for the stations. But at the end of the day, it is unfortunate we can't change this "tradition". T_T

Thank you for your analysis and some information about Faith and Moon Lovers. I am not trying to argue but two things I wanted to say. Softy had mentioned that she believed Faith would be one of the classics. She had been reviewing dramas for many years then and she said that Faith had so many fan art, videos, Soompi highest number of posts and some other trends that she had noticed,  she therefore felt that in the future Faith would be appreciated as classic but actually time has shown that she was wrong but at that time it really seemed that she was right. Earlier today someone posted that LOTBS was #1 brand because of fan art, videos community etc and that reminded me of Softy's comment years ago about Faith.

Secondly, Faith was not a high budget production. Probably LMH's fees might be the highest cost. The producer or director probably spent most of the most money before even filming with LMH. They could not pay their staff, even Kim Hee Sun. Not sure if even LMH got paid.You could see the budget cuts in most of the scenes. In the end the love story became the draw not the rest of the drama. In Japan Faith was the top rented drama even two or three years after it screened and Japan made their own video of Faith BTS. No SK video was ever released for Faith. It was all the problems before they even started filming, unlucky project. LMH was a trooper for finishing it and never complaining. I think it was a painful experience for him. He said in the Japanese BTS that he never thought he would want to return to the Goryeo film set.  I saw Goblin and the first episode, the fight battle scene was amazing. Faith was never close to that in quality. One other reason it did not do well because of the low budget production for most of the episodes. Actually come to think of it, I remembered someone commenting that Faith sold all of its advertisement slots and that most of Faith viewers are women in their 30s who have money to spend so the advertisers were targeting this market and thus the slots were all taken even though ratings were low. They also sold to several Asian markets about 7 before the drama screened in SK.

I did not realize that Moonlovers had 2.5 billion views. Is that even  more than Heirs, DOTS and MLFTS? All I know is that there were many negative things said about it at Dramabeans 2016 drama reviews. Most disappointing, etc, etc. and I saw that ratings were lower than Faith. I also had the impression that Moonlight across the clouds were more successful than Moon lovers even internationally. I only guessed something when I noticed Moon lovers had a hign number of comments on Koreandrama.org. I actually did not know anything about Moon lovers. I guess Moonlight did not get 2.5 billion views. Is LOTBS even close to reaching 2.5 billion views? That is impressive for Moon Lovers.

So you are probably right that since JJH won the top Daesang, she can win it again but not something below like top excellence. She was nominated for Daesang but not the top 10 so it makes sense. The Romantic Doctor guy seemed to be really excellent in his role. Have not seen it yet so no comment.

Zinnia mentioned that the MC commented that he thought the top two contenders for Daesang was Romantic Doctor guy and LMH. If that is true and as MC he should have privy to some gossip at SBS. It is really great for LMH to be second out of 10 nominees.

Thanks again Sia3.

• Like 6

DECEMBER DRAMA BRAND RANKINGS 

Korean Business Research Institute based the rankings on data compiled between October 16th  to December 17th

Korean articles about the December Drama Brand rankings mentioned the online communities are overflowing with LOTBS fan art, parodies, and humor. 

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=112&aid=0002880605

http://news.topstarnews.net/detail.php?number=232959

1483330585-74.jpg

cr: topstarnews

2109654050_FGakYHES_5a3f161c3c88f5c27db7

source

1. LEGEND OF THE BLUE SEA :wub:

2. Goblin

3. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim

4. Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

5. Night Light

6. Laurel Tree Tailors

7. Our Gap Soon

8. Entourage

9. The Shining Eun Soo

10. Oh My Geum Bi

11. Blow Breeze

12. Father, I'll Take Care Of You

13. First Love Again

14. Giving Happiness

15. Solomon's Perjury

16. Love Bubbles

17. Golden Pocket

18. Cat Chef

19. Always Spring

20. Rude Miss Young-Ae

• Like 13

@bebe1989

:bawling:  I know. I've belated realised after and edited it. I'm so embarrassed, and apologies for getting your name wrong. I promise I won't do it again. BTW, love the pics you have posted of Jeon Ji Hyun, particularly her sassy gangster side-eyeing ones. I miss the spunk and her kicking richard simmons from the beginning. I wanna see more of that. Too bad she loves Heo Joon Jae too much, it would be extra fun to watch her kick his richard simmons, bwahahahahaha! :P

Edit: AHAHAHAHAHAHA... Richard Simmons is still in effect after all these years! This is so funny. I meant to say 'a$s'

Edited by sia3
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, nika94 said:

Here comes GREAT comments and feedback again!! Kudos 2 Lee Min Ho and Jun Ji Hyun for Their great performance

Below are the roughly translated comments From "Blue Sea', drama brand reputation 1st place" ARTICLE!

"Historical drama, Lee Min Ho Rocco, blue sea drama very funny, Lee Min ho and histories, Rocco, romance, buttered up a melodramatic role."

"Go for it, I just love! couple juncheong"

"These days, legend of the blue see is my only paradise. Pretty and to have fun, couple juncheong"

"Come on Wednesday this week, I'm really excited. - blue sea becoming more and more interesting."

" You can see only 14 two days from now. Gyaak ~~~~~"

" Go for it, Jun Ji-hyun and Lee Min Ho, legend of the sea the best"

" Go for it, blue sea! on Wednesday 14 looking forward to"

"episode 13 ending Should forever remain  such a great scene"

Oh # 1! The end is the best part of episode 13th! damnyeong ㅠㅠ episode 14 so looking forward to"

"Heojunjae Simcheong the ending is so intense that 14 to 13 times is too good"

"The real drama of my life, the ending of episode 13 is never to forget. "

"heojunjae and gimdamnyeong nice, juncheong couple so well matched. and damnyeong Sehwa on the ending still never lie in the last week."

"Episode 13  from romance to sadness, great."

Credit: http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003457010&spi_ref=m_entertain_twitter

thank you very much chingu, I am so happy , there are so many comments , now 676 comments:wub: they really love LOBS

If you translate , I will bring article link later

• Like 9

Just now, leeminhosny said:

thank you very much chingu, I am so happy , there are so many comments , now 676 comments:wub: they really love LOBS

If you translate , I will bring article link later

Hi! :))  you are welcome!

Please share the Links of articles, I will share the roughly translated version and I will also share the translated Comments. :))

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, sia3 said:

@bebe1989

:bawling:  I know. I've belated realised after and edited it. I'm so embarrassed, and apologies for getting your name wrong. I promise I won't do it again. BTW, love the pics you have posted of Jeon Ji Hyun, particularly her sassy gangster side-eyeing ones. I miss the spunk and her kicking richard simmons from the beginning. I wanna see more of that. Too bad she loves Heo Joon Jae too much, it would be extra fun to watch her kick his richard simmons, bwahahahahaha! :P

Hahahahahahahahahahaha laughing so hard at your comment. Hey, I wouldn't mind seeing SC kicking HJJ's butt. We already know who will win that fight Hahahaha. 

• Like 6

In MYYY :D opinion, Jun Ji Hyun is The Best, most professional and most talented Female Lead of Lee Min Ho Oppa among all his female partners before . She has such a long history of experience and She is a movie star! :)) I am really Glad Lee Min Ho and Jun Ji Hyun partnered up! 

PS  this is my personal opinion :))  

Credit: as tagged

• Like 11

23 hours ago, zinnia said:

Happy New Year.

Congratulations to all the award winners of LOTBS team.

I was also bewildered and angry for JJH's not winning. She should have won it whether she attended or not.

By the way, I read some people here were saying LMH was not nominated for Daesang, which was not true according to SBS Drama Awards Show last night.

SBS has an award named  'Top Ten Stars Award'. This award goes to the 10 most excellent and popular actors of that year and those winners become Daesang candidates (nominees?) automatically. One of the MCs mentioned this during the show. Therefore, Top Ten Stars Award is a major and prestigious award in SBS Drama Awards show. MCs announced this award winners in the first half of the show and actual award presentation on stage was held in the latter half.

JJH and LMH were awarded this together along other 8 actors and the ten winners were nominees of Daesang last night.

Besides, on the red carpet MC Lee Hwi Jae was asked who he guessed would be the Daesang winner and he answered that Han Suk Kyu and Lee Min Ho seemed to be the strongest contenders.

@zinnia So did JJH win the top 10 star award? Seems like she did from what you wrote above. If so, that is wonderful. So it seems that if MC said tha Han Suk Kyu and Lee Min Ho seemed to be strongest contenders and Han Suk Kyu won, then I would think LMH was the runner up or second out of the 10 nominees. If MC is correct, that is great news because Han Suk Kyu is a sunbae and has been around a long time and has more experience than LMH.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, CallieP said:

@zinnia So did JJH win the top 10 star award? Seems like she did from what you wrote above. If so, that is wonderful. So it seems that if MC said tha Han Suk Kyu and Lee Min Ho seemed to be strongest contenders and Han Suk Kyu won, then I would think LMH was the runner up or second out of the 10 nominees. If MC is correct, that is great news because Han Suk Kyu is a sunbae and has been around a long time and has more experience than LMH.

To answer your question, yes, JJH did win the top 10 star award. It was a well deserved award. 

I love LMH, I really really do, but whether his acting is up to par with his senior Han Suk Kyu, he may have a way to go before he reaches that level. I have said before, but daesang comes with age and experience as well as break through roles and performances. LMH can wait a few more years, since he has a long career ahead of him. The MC openly expressed he is a fan of LMH. He may just be saying that because he likes LMH. However, knowing LMH, such a comment may have made him very uncomfortable. He is very respectful, and to be compared to his senior like that, is an honor but at the same time, burdensome. 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, mythicalove said:

I agree with you. I remember sticking around during the faithlings days and still continuing to talk about the show for a long, long time after its run. I'll probably be camping here for awhile, even after the last episode and it would be fun to identify best episode, best lines, best cameos and etc. I'll start making notes myself :)

@mythicalove:  yay someone to play with!:)  Hopefully others will join us.  Let me know if you or anyone else has suggestions.  So far I have 

1. best line (a) HJJ/KDR (b) SW/SC (c) other characters

2. best cameo

3.  best kiss--i know we hope there will be a lot of choices 

4.  best bromance or what do you call it if it's 2 women-- sisterhood--that doesn't sound right

5.  best HJJ impersonation

6.  best OST:  

@demarchelier:  Thanks for the good news about the Dec brand rating, but (I swear I haven't had anything to drink)  "cat chef"?  A cat who is a chef? lol i guess more likely a chef who is named cat?  Sometimes the names of the K-dramas leave me scratching my head.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

@demarchelier:  Thanks for the good news about the Dec brand rating, but (I swear I haven't had anything to drink)  "cat chef"?  A cat who is a chef? lol i guess more likely a chef who is named cat?  Sometimes the names of the K-dramas leave me scratching my head.

You're welcome. Hahaha. I know. I was not familiar with some of the dramas. I had to double check that I was reading it right. Some of the dramas listed are either weekend dramas, daily dramas, or dramas shown earlier in the evening like Cat Chef.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, vangsweetie637 said:

@sia3 *GlOMPS* yay!! You do remember me!! Woo hoo!! if i was on my computer, i would find you a glomping hug haha. So glad to meet you again old friend! We had so much fun in Faith thread and I still remember almost everyone from then. Awww do come out when you can. It's always great reading your feedbacks. Faith will always be my first love :wub: and Faithlings, my first soompi chingus. *glomps again*

I did lurk in Soompi but it was moving too fast at times to catch up. I tried to read from the beginning but could never catch up but was with  Faith groupies in Joonni. Some called themselves gutterbuds, I think.  Still meet some of them today. Many camped with Joonni after leaving Dramabeans. I did read Dramabeans and made a few comments defending Daejang. :P

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, demarchelier said:

DECEMBER DRAMA BRAND RANKINGS 

Korean Business Research Institute based the rankings on data compiled between October 16th  to December 17th

Korean articles about the December Drama Brand rankings mentioned the online communities are overflowing with LOTBS fan art, parodies, and humor. 

source: Pop Herald

source

1. LEGEND OF THE BLUE SEA :wub:

2. Goblin

3. Romantic Doctor Teacher Kim

4. Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok Joo

5. Night Light

6. Laurel Tree Tailors

7. Our Gap Soon

8. Entourage

9. The Shining Eun Soo

10. Oh My Geum Bi

11. Blow Breeze

12. Father, I'll Take Care Of You

13. First Love Again

14. Giving Happiness

15. Solomon's Perjury

16. Love Bubbles

17. Golden Pocket

18. Cat Chef

19. Always Spring

20. Rude Miss Young-Ae

Thank you for this. Please let us know for January as well when it comes out. :)

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, CarolynH said:

@mythicalove:  yay someone to play with!:)  Hopefully others will join us.  Let me know if you or anyone else has suggestions.  So far I have 

1. best line (a) HJJ/KDR (b) SW/SC (c) other characters

2. best cameo

3.  best kiss--i know we hope there will be a lot of choices 

4.  best bromance or what do you call it if it's 2 women-- sisterhood--that doesn't sound right

5.  best HJJ impersonation

6.  best OST:  

This will be fun @CarolynH :) I like the list you came up with so far. I have one to add to the list and will be thinking of more. 

7.) Best epilogue 

--------------------

@demarchelier thanks for updating us on the brand ranking. I'm happy LOTBS is number 1!:blush:

• Like 9