[Weekend Drama 2016] Laurel Tree Tailors 월계수양복점신사들 ~ Starring Cha In Pyo, Ra Mi Ran ~

tikamacika

@bajing I agree with everything you said in your post, especially about MS. His philosophical doctrines were my favorite aspect of the drama, and he was a figure to look up to. I feel like his response totally shattered my respect for the character. Now he's just another father/husband in a family drama.

@rileyelizabeth, @Rita86 I think it would be great if HJ could redeem herself and find love (not with DJ though!) While many were ready to hate her, I withheld judgement on her at the beginning when she first knew about DJ and YS. I think I mentioned before that I was hoping that she would eventually be the one to help DJ and YS. It would have given her some chance for character growth and reflection. I'm not sure now if the writer thinks her character is worth the extra dimensionality. Same with GP. I'm fine with either way they go on his character. On the other hand, GJ is unlikely to be redeemed in my eyes. I feel like she is an undignified human being and it's part of her nature. I know this sounds mean. People may say she's just being a "good" mother, but that's what bothers me the most. Good mothers are not supposed to do what she did, but she will definitely be forgiven anyway at the end. Just like other dramas with similar tropes.

I don't think this good news has been shared yet on this thread. Although Choi Won Young sat through the entire award show supporting his colleagues without receiving an award, he has even better news. He and his wife are expecting their second child. Congratulations! Read the news on Soompi and KBS World Radio.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, delphinium8593 said:

3. In the preview we saw GJ talking to herself "is that poor thing (YS) eat 3 times a day?"

Please TP, spit it out to DJ! DJ deserves to know the truth...
Can't wait for that BIG scene when DJ finds out about YS+GJ. Omooo~

I think the time is near when we will see things will falls into place again...the drama has reached the bottom and worst storyline for the OTP, and maybe in 2-3 eps we finally get our smile back!

2 days to goooo!

Sorry to cut your post again, chingu ^^ 

That point #3 is so sad to hear :tears: she asked YS to leave but still care for YS. I hope she regrets her decision to break up from DJ and leave her house. Her precious son is in sorrow now. 

I think TP also is not sure yet that it is GJ that makes YS leave from their house. Ahh..it's good to smile again like before :blush:

5 hours ago, valzki said:

Hello chingu :wub: you are back! Hehe... we miss you here. Hope you can catch all the aired episodes and finish before this weekend :blush: JYH is getting prettier now , especially both in the wedding dress with just simple pony tail hair and at KBS award 2016. I think she used simple make-up too. Seeing JYH mentioned LDG name in her thank you speech, it looks like they are closer and more comfortable to each other now. Before they were quite awkward like LDG said in "Happy Together"

@valzki i've been trying to watch it but reading this forum more interesting for me hah. I feel like watched the missed episode by reading all of your comments and POV :love:

@pinkdicentra oh dear...Sailor moon is my favorite Japanese cartoon forever! And YS character is Sailor Mercury

Sailor.Mercury.full.11807.jpg

@natkat love to see all of your picture still. Seems like our Ah-Choo couple been dating in many places. I just can't wait to see how writer-nim will growth our lovely HW. Beeing sincerity is nice. But i just can't keep asking what's on her mind besides TY? Does she ever think to get another job or maybe get college as we see TY study hard to get job? Seeing Ah-Choo couple just remind me to another my fave 2nd lead couple on "Oh My Venus" Joon Soong-Yi Jin. Yi Jin has the same Character with HW. The difference is Yi Jin more hard working than HW (Maybe because HW born from Rich family?)

15 hours ago, bajing said:

I think I am very biased for YS because I have experienced in real life someone who was very dear to me in a very similar predicament to YS. It took years of efforts with a whole lot of constant and unwavering supports from people around her before she managed to break free. So I know that getting out from this kind of relationship is not just a simple toughing yourself up and be brave. Maybe because of my experience, I empathized so much with YS and just had to defend her character because it strikes a quite personal chord in me.

me too @bajing.. I have a friend has similar condition as YS. and it's really realllyyy hard to her to be brave and speak her mind. Need a long time and supporting from people around her. Lucky YS, she has DJ but now they separated. I'm just afraid can she be tough when DJ not beside her?  Even i understand DS, GJ and abeoji MS reacted to YS is usually happen in real life family (they need time to accept YS as DJ future wife) but did they ever think how pity YS now :bawling:

@gowolgyesu & @Rita86 welcomee to our thread ... Yesss i can't take my eyes when the camera shoot to LDG-JYH on KBS Drama award. Just hoping our OTP will change from reel couple to be real couple kekeke

meant to write yesterday but was so sleepy from the medicine. @valzki ~ am alright but still having a slight fever. thanks for asking. :)

@pimsucre @luvsdramas @bajing ~ it is nice to be part of a thread without pitchforks! kekekeke... have seen and heard of some threads going crazy and you think "this is a drama! it is supposed to be relaxing, not stress inducing!"

On 1/5/2017 at 9:57 AM, pimsucre said:

Something like when I feel sad or upset during party time at office, I still smiled every time when people took photos of me so I think it could be an understandable reflex response

@pimsucre ~ don't see yun shil as a doormat but simply inconsistent writing. so I can see your point about the wedding photo that folks can fake their smile but there was no scene which indicated that. it is just bad writing, the live shoot system. feel more sorry for the actor playing gyo po because he was giving a lot of depth to his early scenes that suggested a very different dynamic to their relationship. yun shil in the beginning displayed a very different kind of strength and then the writer had to make her into a helpless cry baby. :blink: oh well...

19 hours ago, luvsdramas said:

He said a couple of things abt how he does not want to hide their relationship as it would be like saying it's forbidden love.

@luvsdramas ~ thanks for clearing that up... yea, it does make my head spin that their love story has this weird affair undertone to it due to all the secrecy.

17 hours ago, bajing said:

On HW-TY, I have been holding in my disappointment at the relative lack of development in HW's character in regards to her romance or her direction in life. I can understand her euphoria at finally netting TY, but the almost non-existent character development (and some regression instead) made me a bit sad. I can understand her actions if she's a teenager who made her decisions mostly on feelz, but she's an adult woman that constantly behaved like a hormonal teenager. I am afraid, like @pinkdicentra suggest, the popularity of her antics have stunted her character development. I guess I should just made peace with the reality that what koreans find cute is not necessarily what I will find cute, heh.

like @pinkdicentra suggested, the popularity of hyowon and sun nyeo probably resulted in the PD to continue on that vein. am not expecting a lot of character development because they are not the main couple and not much screen time. both of them are sides and so the conflict for hyowon is how she reacts once she learns of jieun and tayeang's history. then with sun nyeo, how does she move forward after this bakery stuff... so maybe we will see some changes then....

2 hours ago, peggygordon said:

I have a friend has similar condition as YS. and it's really realllyyy hard to her to be brave and speak her mind. Need a long time and supporting from people around her. Lucky YS, she has DJ but now they separated. I'm just afraid can she be tough when DJ not beside her?  Even i understand DS, GJ and abeoji MS reacted to YS is usually happen in real life family (they need time to accept YS as DJ future wife) but did they ever think how pity YS now :bawling:

@peggygordon ~ if yun shil cannot learn to be tough without dong jin, then she really is a doormat and a bad choice for dong jin.

in this interview with this local PD (who used to be this well-known actress) , they asked her why she produces dramas with strong characters. her answer -- life is tough! if women spent so much time crying, society would breakdown! even with a loving spouse and family members, there are battles that one has to fight alone and be prepared for that. and then she went on to talk about some of the problems she had faced. she was like -- if I am having a problem at work, I can't ask my mom or husband to come to set to fix it for me; its my problem, I have to face it. her answer struck with me through the years and I think she was spot on. whether you are a man or a woman, there are some battles where you can get support but ultimately you have to fight on your own.

for dong jin-yun shil romance to really blossom, she needs to come into her own quietly and deal with gyo po by herself. like @pimsucre noted, gyo po does love her in her own way because he would have otherwise forced himself on her long times back. (according to the new narrative).... if she cannot fix those problems herself, then people will continue to look down on her for latching on to dong jin like an affair. she needs to cut gyo po, be firmly single and come to dong jin as a free woman. otherwise, she will not get respect or face truly from people.

2 minutes ago, pimsucre said:

@effyisme thanks for your photo .. this couple is getting more and more sweet scenes. I envy them .. Wahhh I wish DJ&YS had a few deep kisses before us saying goodbye to this drama. Finger crossed ..

Let's pray for a passionate deep kiss when they reunite!:wub:

57 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

meant to write yesterday but was so sleepy from the medicine. @valzki ~ am alright but still having a slight fever. thanks for asking. :)

@pimsucre @luvsdramas @bajing ~ it is nice to be part of a thread without pitchforks! kekekeke... have seen and heard of some threads going crazy and you think "this is a drama! it is supposed to be relaxing, not stress inducing!"

Sorry for cutting your post. Oh I wish you a speedy recovery. Drink a lot of warm water would help a bit.

of course, no pitchforks hahaha. We are all good ladies who gather (on-line) around every weekend to watch this family drama heh. :)

I do agree with you about GJ POV who might think that DJ was forced out of his career at MEESA and their divorce was initiated only by HJ. So reconciliation between them wouldn't be a bad idea. But what she did to YS is deplorable .. she made a big mistake. Should a good mother do something like this behind his son? Nah .. if I were DJ I'd feel betrayed and so devastated since its from my own mother. I hope writer-nims would offer us a good landing to all characters eventually. And yes, YS to be stronger, braver and more confident.

@TheMsChelsea91 haha thank you anyway! It's not that the comic strips take that much time, I just couldn't find the time to do the strips for the recent episodes yet (I don't do them at night). Though I'd post everything together if I manage to complete them. These days when I'm off work I'm too tired to play around with anything resembling work (since I use MS PowerPoint to make the strips LOL).

@Lmangla I will never get tired of agreeing with you on the whole GiPyo story line issue. For now at least :sweatingbullets: As much as I like this drama (a lot actually), I won't deny feeling there are a few holes, and choppy editing here and there, especially in the more recent episodes.

@valzki thank you!! I do hope I get more positive vibes in this week's episodes. Maybe I'll just ffd the angsty/sad parts LOL

She had to come by just when the ex wife hugs him ....so much hurt for her to bear. Now she goes away thinking he does not love her any more. Really man what a typical drama trick to make the poor girl feel even worse than she already does.

@wizuwizu We all missed your c-strips, but I can totally understand your situation, since I used to work in a profession that uses a lot Computer-aided design and Photoshop . . . But hope you don't end up fast-forwarding. LDG is best in angst/sorrow/heart-wrenching scenes. That's my only reason to forgive the writer for all this misery.

It's Saturday, finally! :)

@TheMsChelsea91@valzki thanks and glad you like my name, pleased with it myself, hahaha...

@TheMsChelsea91 loved your Harry Potter half-blood reference - I'm a huge fan of the books too!

@peggygordonthanks!

On 05/01/2017 at 11:00 PM, luvsdramas said:

On DJ's accountability for GJ's sneaky action, actually when DJ and YS were at the beach, DJ had said he wants to tell his family first about their relationship. He said a couple of things abt how he does not want to hide their relationship as it would be like saying it's forbidden love. But YS asked for more time as she wasn't ready yet. So I think in DJ's mind he is wrestling between 2 options. (1) first overcoming GP's revenge and then telling his folks so that GP can't be used as a risk factor OR (2) just telling his folks first to get through whichever problem surfaces first. So DJ is respecting YS's request, prior to this he had apologised to YS for meeting Gp without telling her so I see this as DJ trying to be considerate to YS and take the next step when they are both ready. Unfortunately, DJ should have followed his gut and told his family because just like he believed he did the right thing anyway visiting GP, he would've done the right thing telling his family early too. And on fans having meltdowns when their idol dates, I think the fans need to get a grip! At least vent it peacefully like us here?? 

Yes! I remembered too what Dong Jin said by the beach that he actually wanted to tell his parents about them right away but Yun Shil asked for more time. Still,  even if they were supposed to keep things under wraps, Dong Jin  couldn't help himself and gave hints here and there. He wanted to show Yun Shil off to the rest of the family looking all pretty after their Christmas Eve dinner,  it was like he’s saying, “Look, she’s special to me!”.    I was like – “Hey, Dong Jin  can you be more obvious?!?”  Hahaha...

On 05/01/2017 at 11:38 PM, luvsdramas said:

I know I should stop talking abt JYH's acceptance speech but I need to say what i forgot to earlier. I thought it was great that she brought up the elephant in the room (the non-nomination for best couple) in such a subtle way and angled the comment to end in an appreciation for her partner instead. She really represented the experienced actress there with her eloquence and making LDG feel good as well. Nice one, she dealt with it head-on.

Spot on - could not have said it better myself!

Happy viewing to us!

13 hours ago, Lmangla said:

@peggygordon ~ if yun shil cannot learn to be tough without dong jin, then she really is a doormat and a bad choice for dong jin.

in this interview with this local PD (who used to be this well-known actress) , they asked her why she produces dramas with strong characters. her answer -- life is tough! if women spent so much time crying, society would breakdown! even with a loving spouse and family members, there are battles that one has to fight alone and be prepared for that. and then she went on to talk about some of the problems she had faced. she was like -- if I am having a problem at work, I can't ask my mom or husband to come to set to fix it for me; its my problem, I have to face it. her answer struck with me through the years and I think she was spot on. whether you are a man or a woman, there are some battles where you can get support but ultimately you have to fight on your own.

for dong jin-yun shil romance to really blossom, she needs to come into her own quietly and deal with gyo po by herself. like @pimsucre noted, gyo po does love her in her own way because he would have otherwise forced himself on her long times back. (according to the new narrative).... if she cannot fix those problems herself, then people will continue to look down on her for latching on to dong jin like an affair. she needs to cut gyo po, be firmly single and come to dong jin as a free woman. otherwise, she will not get respect or face truly from people.

As i said on my prev comment maybe because I have a friend that has the same life as YS so I feel more pity of her situation... It's not easy to be brave/though if you've been underestimate/bully for many years. GP has followed and spying her since she in high school. Where ever she go he will find her. And in that situation she has no one family to share and protect her. For me it's so scary. I though YS character stronger than my friend. My friend got treatment/therapy since she needs it to make her stronger after bullied by her ex-BF for 2Yrs. People around her just see her beeing happy with her ex-BF. She tried to be happy to hide her scared feeling. I've asked why she not report to police about her situation. And her answer because she don't want something bad will happen to people around her. I'm glad in this drama DJ has mentioned YS 2-3 times about how to face the gangster. People who has bullying situation in many years needs that to open their mind and give them courage.  

@peggygordon ~ as I have said earlier, due to the changes that the writer made, it is difficult for me to buy this whole yun shil was abused/bullied arc. that said, I understand your point that it isn't easy for the person who is in that situation to find the courage to get out. but what I was trying to say is that ultimately, it is that person who has to fight -- whether it is abuse or addiction or any other destructive behaviour, no one can make that choice for them except the individual themselves.

I once attended this lecture where women lawyers reflected on the law and domestic abuse. all the lawyers thought the law was a wonderful tool but cautioned that it is only good if the person wants help. one of the lawyers shared her personal story -- they heard a cousin of her husband was in a physically abusive marriage. her husband (who was also a lawyer) spoke to the parents who dismissed it and wanted the girl to go back after her visit. he then spoke to the girl and offered to support her (emotionally, financially and legally) and her children for 2 years till she can stand on her own. she wouldn't accept that there was a problem and accused him of trying to break up her marriage. she went back and a few months later, she was murdered. folks asked her how such a thing could happen in a lawyer's family and she said that as cold as it sounds, nobody can do anything if a person refuses your help because they are adults. you can offer advice, support but as adults, they are free to make their own choices even if it is a bad one.

back to our drama, yun shil has now been strengthened due to dong jin but as her life, it is up to her to make the choice to fight. no one, not even dong jin with his grand love, can fight for her.

Wow, havent checked this forum out in over a day and so many goodies already especially on the TY-HW front.  Kind of rushing though as im away for a wedding.. just coming by here to say that I won't be able to do the live-capping today :cry:.. hoping a kind soul can take over for today

49 minutes ago, TheMsChelsea91 said:

Wow, havent checked this forum out in over a day and so many goodies already especially on the TY-HW front.  Kind of rushing though as im away for a wedding.. just coming by here to say that I won't be able to do the live-capping today :cry:.. hoping a kind soul can take over for today

I don't have the link for live recap @TheMsChelsea91 but if someone does not do it, then I will do a recap once the raw comes out (which is a few hours from now). no worries. have fun at the wedding and hope there's lots of good food! :)

Archived