[Weekend Drama 2016] Laurel Tree Tailors 월계수양복점신사들 ~ Starring Cha In Pyo, Ra Mi Ran ~

tikamacika

4 hours ago, hyall said:

Magnificent @vaberella analysis loved reading that and thank you for pointing all that out. I had forgotten some of that.

I just watched episode 28 what a  great episode. I enjoyed Dong Jin asking Yun Shil to call him Ding Jin oppa. I always find the formal way they call the position of the man they are dating rather than the name very odd. Liked that he wanted her to call him oppa. I also loved how romantic he was and how he planned that date it was truly well done. I did not like those thugs confronting him and I am so very afraid they will ruin that lovely face of his. His corny jokes are really so sweet.

Loved how HW told TY about her loneliness and why she liked him. It was very brave of her to lay herself bare like that and showed him her thought processes. TY will be falling in love with this courageous woman if he is not already in love.

Enjoyed Mr. Park getting the boot.

Oh BTW Eugene can kiss watch this 

Hide contents

Thanks I appreciate it.   I like the DJ Oppa thing too.  Now she's got a chinggu...oh yeah! I also liked it because DJ is so "upright" almost austere and then he's like just call me "Oppa".  I mean it his ex and former BIL was right.  He's changed and I didn't even know him from way long ago. I just remember the first few eps.  He didn't smile and he was very matter of fact.  I felt like meeting her and working at the factory really started opening him up.   He definitely has done it now.  

The HW and TY thing is one of the relationships I see as being very different from the past.  Oh, I know Eugene can hold her own...NOW!  You take HW to the time when Eugene first started...No one kissed animatedly as they do now.  Look at a show like Something of 1% that is some serious kissing. Actually compare the relationships between the leads in 1% of Anything to the one in Something of 1%.  When the girl (from Snow White--who still kissed flat) was kissing her lead---she just stood there and nothing happening. While in Something of 1%---they were eating each others face (without being dirty). 

Kissing in Kdramas are different now. When Eugene (I mention Eugene a lot because I lived by her dramas back then (despite the kissing scenes)) first started in shows like Save the Last Dance for Me, I Really, Really Like You (man, Lee Min Ki tried hard to save that kiss scene), or Wonderful Life.  Eugene was flat as hell---just like the first kiss between TY and HW. The thing was, all of the women acting during the early 2000s (and before)  until recently have kissed like that.  Now they are doing open mouth kissing.  It's also no longer the guy who's pushing. The women arel making moves that are considered "aggressive" like in My Beautiful Gong Shim---Gong Shim. Gong Shim was like 'I kissed you and I'll like you and stalk you because I like you.  So you can't stop me from loving you'.  You did that in 2008, Ajumma's would be fainting all over the place.

tumblr_n7mwawp4rL1ssbvp5o1_400.gif

I showed the Gong Shim kiss scene to my Korean friend (she wasn't born or raised in the US) she came to the US in 10th grade. She was like..."Wow that character [Gong Shim] is aggressive, we're not like that". <---Or maybe she's not, she's super studious.

So when I see YS, she's just like those girls in the old dramas and I think it's because she hasn't had the time to really come to the 2016...she's stuck at 2007 because of her lack of relationships and lack of strong friendships early on. Her actions and reactions are so similar to those women.  I can't wait until she gets deeper into her relationship with DJ because I think we'll start to see a development of her character for the better. 

4 hours ago, jimb said:

@vaberella  You would probably like the title character in The Shining Eun Soo.  She is the object of many infuriating actions but responds with cleverness rather than rage.  This drama has just begun (today is ep. 4.)

Girl/Guy I am on that like white on rice.  Let me tell you...I love the long shows that are 50-120+ eps. I rarely get annoyed with the plot holes and rushed scenes.  As I mentioned above...did I love Something of 1%?  Hell Yes.  But I would have preferred if they had given it the 26 episodes they gave the original 1% of Anything---because we would have had a more complete show and clear understanding of the pairings. I wanted them to build up the relationship of the cousins more.  Nope.  I wanted to see the best friends older brother get a girl. Nope. I wanted to see a lot but nope, and I was left a bit disappointed. So I'm on this and thanks for the recommendation.

38 minutes ago, effyisme said:

THANKS! And i really enjoyed reading your post. Your analysis is spot on!

De nada, thanks for the appreciation. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@vaberella Thanks for the analysis! I agree with everything you said. I was thinking on the subway earlier (what's better to do than think about fictional drama characters while on the subway?) about the discussion here and what motivated YS to help GP out of jail and help out the annoying mother-in-law. It got me thinking of how YS compares to women from the past. A lot of women in the past (and even in the present) were (are) reluctantly married or sold off. Instead of crying their eyes out for their entire lives or killing themselves, their courage is used in living their lives as best as they could and often as dutiful wives and daughter-in-laws. (Sorry to anyone here who's into feminist studies since my description here is generalized and crude). From this perspective, I could see why despite not liking GP, YS was still dutiful towards him and his mother in the beginning. So perhaps I was wrong in referring to YS as weak. Her strength is just used in a different way.

BTW, thanks to the Beautiful Days reference. It's my first ever KDrama. Everyone talks about Winter Sonata but this one feels much more classic to me. And yes, Choi Ji Woo really hasn't changed in 15 years!

And I just found this before writing the post. Is this really going to happen or are we going to be cheated?

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20161202

Source: http://pop.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=201612021403093423388_1

1 hour ago, pinkdicentra said:

@vaberella Thanks for the analysis! I agree with everything you said. I was thinking on the subway earlier (what's better to do than think about fictional drama characters while on the subway?) about the discussion here and what motivated YS to help GP out of jail and help out the annoying mother-in-law. It got me thinking of how YS compares to women from the past. A lot of women in the past (and even in the present) were (are) reluctantly married or sold off. Instead of crying their eyes out for their entire lives or killing themselves, their courage is used in living their lives as best as they could and often as dutiful wives and daughter-in-laws. (Sorry to anyone here who's into feminist studies since my description here is generalized and crude). From this perspective, I could see why despite not liking GP, YS was still dutiful towards him and his mother in the beginning. So perhaps I was wrong in referring to YS as weak. Her strength is just used in a different way.

BTW, thanks to the Beautiful Days reference. It's my first ever KDrama. Everyone talks about Winter Sonata but this one feels much more classic to me. And yes, Choi Ji Woo really hasn't changed in 15 years!

And I just found this before writing the post. Is this really going to happen or are we going to be cheated

Source: http://pop.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=201612021403093423388_1

OMG! My heart can't take this.. Are they going to kiss in the next episode!:wub:

I remember watching "beautiful days" on tv and sitting with nail biting anticipation week after week tuned in... so I will have to disagree with you @vaberella that yun shil displays a similar strength to choi ji woo's character. I just don't see it. though she cried buckets, there was a quiet, dignified strength in choi ji woo's character. there was a scene where the guy apologizes that his father insulted her and she angrily said something like she wasn't crying because he insulted her but because she felt like she was allowing herself to lose her sense of self and pride because of those words. she was angry at herself -- I remember watching that and thinking "what a cool woman!"

for those who ever wanted a second lead to succeed -- this was the drama! this was way before lee byun hun was famous and he was actually the second lead here. but he had such amazing chemistry with her that he became the first lead. the writer actually intended her to have this thing with him and then realizing he is a twisted/flawed character, move on to the good first lead. except it didn't happen. it would be like if yun shil chose gyo po over dong jin but that is what happened in this drama. she never wavered from her choice -- there was a scene where the second lead is all being clingy and says that she will eventually return his feelings and she just gives him a look and then quietly turns away. not a single word but it was clear -- "keep dreaming!" hahahahha... she never wavered between her choices or decisions.

so I don't see that kind of quiet strength in yun shil at all. actually compared to the other 3 ladies, she is the sane one but we are discussing her character halfway through the series and some of us are still confused. even though the loopiness of the 3 ladies is actually quite out there, we accept their character chart even if we may not agree with it. why? they own their choices. good, bad, ugly, stupid, loopy -- they own them. and that gives them strength. not only these 3 but all the other ladies - ms, ko, mrs. lee etc. they own their choices. that to me is strength. yun shil? .... not really... that would still be fine if I understood her character arc and moving on to dong jin but I don't. 

even though folks are trying to explain her motivations (and I enjoy reading them), I still have a tough time understanding and considering we are halfway through her series, people shouldn't have to be explaining stuff. we should be seeing the drama and getting it even if we have no interest in their arc because they are the main lead . there is a marked difference between the initial episodes and now, the transition didn't happen. characters can change their mind and fall out of love but we need to see the change happen. like with ji eun. she made a decision to dump taeyang and move on to hyosang but we see her making and owning that choice.

it is a pity because I am liking the character of dong jin and I feel like I want to enjoy this couple but I can't because I don't understand yun shil at all.... but it is okay. the best part of watching a weekend drama is that there are always other couples to enjoy and plenty of characters to watch like ms. ko and hyosang. sadly he didn't wear any snazzy glasses in the last episode. why? hahahhaha :lol:

14 hours ago, jimb said:

@effyisme  For a while YS was crusading for GP's release from prison.  Then it became clear that GP did not want to be released from prison because he wanted to honor his deal with the corrupt CEO to take the blame for one of the CEO's shenanigans.  I think that it was at this point that YS's attitude toward GP began to change.

so she felt that he was no longer worth the trouble and maybe time to move on?.... makes sense.

15 hours ago, jimb said:

@hyall  I recall DJ's mother signing YS's praises in an early episode.   Isn't she more concerned with the potential danger GP might pose to her son than hostile to YS?

yea thats what I think too. don't see her as hostile to yun shil and more wary of the drama that she is bound to bring because of gyo po and his mom. seems like practical consideration actually considering yun shil has neither cut the cord or let those two know that she no longer wants them in her life.

@jimb - forgot to say earlier but I had fun watching the initial interview that you posted. cha in pyo is a riot! he is funny and is well matched with ra miran. and added with the vids @peggygordon posted, it looks like the actors are just having a blast on set. it kind of translates to the light fun mood of the tailor shop drama no?

Agreed @vaberella the older drama Eugene was so stiff I thought her neck might break from holding herself so stiff. I have watched all these older dramas too and I thought you might get a kick out of the video of Eugene I posted. She left the Uhm Tae Woong gobsmacked. One thing about "Can We Love" the drama that kiss was from I loved how Uhm Tae Woong's character approached her son and the relationship they developed, I thought it was a beautiful inclusive relationship that worked on so many levels including the sex. The fact her ex husband was not mean or bad just dumb helped a lot to make the drama much more realistic. Lot of the older romances like Thank You had awful kiss scenes and hardly any chemistry although the drama was really very good I was never convinced of the Gong Hyo Jin and Jang Hyuk romance line.

I actually like all the romances and I can see how awkward Yun Shil is, I'm hoping she makes some effort to be a little more responsive or else it is going to fall flat the kisses. Well director here's me hoping so please try and update the kiss to present day although I know weekend dramas don't do open mouth but Nam Sang Mi in Goddess of Marriage did heat up the screen with Lee Sang Woo quite hot, hot, hot and the rest of the drama sucked though. I also think they can do better chemistry even without racy kisses ala 1% of anything. I also agree about your sentiments about 1% since I saw the older version of it and enjoyed the cousin's love line. The drama was too rushed though but it was a budget issue so I am happy with what we got and it was very good.

I tend to see and understand Yun Shil perhaps because I am making things up in my head to support the DJ/YS train. That's me I like the couple so I am making excuses but seriously I do get her.

21 minutes ago, pinkdicentra said:

YS is wearing a necklace in the preview pics. Wonder if it's of any significance or if it's simply because HJ, HW, DS, and Ms. Ko aren't doing enough jewellery PPL already.

I also saw the necklace so wondering if it's from DJ coz YS did not wear one before 

EP starts at the prison:

GP and DJ exchanging barbed remarks. DJ asks GP to leave YS. GP threatens him but DJ calls him out for the threats.He is unfazed by GP at all. GP says YS is his wife but DJ says YS isn't since they're not legally married or anything. Dj tries to appeal to GP's human side (as if he has any) by telling him to think of YS's happiness. DJ tells GP that he loves YS. Yes, he uses the word love. GP asks him to leave. GP says something about how YS won't betray him.

On the way back, DJ tries to call YS but the line is busy. Turns out GP gets through to YS first. GP asks YS how she could betray him like that. I think YS is being truthful by saying how she really feels. She's tearing up and apologizing. Clearly GP isn't going to give up. He says he's Hong Gi Pyo and he isnt taking YS's words well. He follows up with more threats to DJ and the tailor shop before hanging up. YS gets really jumpy after the phone call as she gets startled when SD calls her. 

HW parks her car and enters Tony's Burger. A car pulls over behind her and out comes HS. He wants to know what HW is doing there and sees TY. HW is ordering lots of food again. TY says she shouldn't eat so much after she got sick yesterday. She says she didn't have breakfast at home so she could eat here. HS who sees the whole thing calls ES and tells her about TY working at a fast food place and I think he's blaming TY about HW being all googly-eyed over TY. ES is furious. 

YS meets DJ outside the shop as he arrives there from the prison. THey talk about GP. YS says she knows GP very well. DJ tells her not to worry and asks her to talk inside. He tries to convince her about choosing happiness or something. Clearly they'll have a hard time ahead of them. He places a hand on her back and right at that moment SD comes in and sees them. He quickly excuses himself and DJ tells YS he will talk to SD.

DJ tells SD about him and YS. SD is surprised but he isn't opposing. He is concerned about GP too but DJ tells him he will take care of it. He asks him what about his family but DJ tells him that his mom likes YS. SD agrees that YS is liked by everyone. SJ comes in for a fitting and the guys stop talking. He asks them what they were talking about. SJ asks DJ whether he's dating and DJ is surprised while SD is smirking. Sj says the way DJ dresses and his eyes are indicators that he's dating. DJ strongly denies SJ's accusation. .

SJ and SD talk and SD has a flashback of him and SN. i think SN threatened SD into marrying her. She claimed to write a letter in blood, even had a bandage around her finger. SD wasn't convinced and asked her to remove the bandage. As expected, she didn't use her blood at all. Something happened and SD tripped and fell onto SN. Right at that time, two guys came in. They looked like thugs and they called themselves SN's brothers. They basically threatened to beat him up unless he married SN I guess that was how they got married

Four girls in unison enter Tony's Burger and ask for TY's number. They tell him that he's their style and even has their phones out. HW is enraged. TY says he has a girlfriend, much to HW's delight. HW is over the moon but TY says he wasn't referring to her when he said he has a girlfriend. Someone comes in and HW says welcome It's ES. She's livid and starts berating TY. HW tells ES that she comes here on her own will and to stop blaming TY. ES tells her to be quiet. Eventually HW gets pulled by the ears home. 

DJ and YS get sent somewhere by SD but DJ drives them to the beach instead. HE tells her they're playing hooky. at the beach, they talk some more. They hold hands and DJ has a gift for her but she keeps asking him questions. I think it's the necklace. He tries to hide the gift every time she cuts him off as he's trying to surprise her so he accidentally throws the gift into the sea. He goes in to retrieve it and it's freezing. They end up in a restaurant as YS dries off DJ's wet pants. He has another funny pants on and YS laughs. She even snaps pics of him on the phone. They share a meal and YS even tells a lame joke now. She even feeds him. 

As they're about to leave, YS gives DJ a box to give to his parents. He has the sneakers on and he snaps a pic of them with the couple sneakers. HE asks YS to go to the beach again. But Ys asks them to just go back.

*missing scene *

Mr park comes to DS's workplace and i think he tries to propose new terms for the prenup. Dunno what happened but he takes out his money. He keeps coins in a pill box lol. DS manages to send him away 

Mr Lee brings home something for Gook Ji. it's something she likes but i',m not sure what it is. food? hmm..

SN is working at the chicken restaurant when she gets a call. it sounds urgent and she's panicking. she takes a cab to go to seoul. not sure what this is about. 

SJ is writing music in his room. he thinks of DS. He looks at his pic on the wall and tells himself "Sung Tae Pyung, what are you going to do?"

Ty comes home from work and checks his phone. No calls or messages. He says HW hasn't called him at all today and wonders if something's wrong. 

turns out Es is holding onto HW's phone and has locks installed on her door. she comes out from the shower and asks ES what she is doing. HW tries to escape but is stopped by the driver and the ajumma. She pleads them to pity her and let her pass but they apologise and drag her to her room. Es tells her to promise to give up on TY if she want out but she refuses. HJ comes and asks ES if she doesn't think she's going overboard about this. ES tells her to stay out from this. HJ says something that upsets ES before going into her room. 

DJ comes home with the gift from YS for his parents. SD is there too. Gook Ji is pleased. Sd who is there almost gives the secret of them away. Gook ji calls YS about the gift. 

DJ goes into his room and looks at the gift he didn't manage to give YS. he's caught a cold because he's sneezing.

Sj goes outside of the house to run into Mr Park. SJ asks him isn't things over between him and DS. Mr park disagrees. they bicker. Da jung comes home and tells mr park the same thing. SJ grabs Mr park's collar and tells Dajung to go inside. They bicker more about DS and SJ tells Mr park to go away. Dajung watches from inside. 

SN walks alone. Really don't know what happened but she's crying. Sd calls her and asks where she is. She realizes that she's wandered around until she gets lost. SD asks her if something's wrong because of her voice. She tells him she'll come home soon.

- TY is studying and stops to think that HW still hasn't called him. He thinks back to when HW told him that it isn't her fault that he mom's a mistress and it isn't his fault that his poor. Until the part where she tells him that everyone lacks something and if it's money, that's a relief. He wonders again if something's wrong and leaves his room to go to the kitchen. When he opens the fridge, he is shocked to find so many food containers with his name on. One of the guys at the gosiwon tells him that HW brought all the food and how he's jealous of him. He even asks Ty if he can have some of the food. 

- HW is still locked in and she won't give in to her mom's demand that she gives up on TY. Ajumma comes and tells ES HS is home with JY.  HW begs that ES gives her her phone back because she misses TY's voice. ES comes down and leaves HW there. HW kicks the door but hurts her toes. ES asks what JY is doing there. I think JY offers to cook? maybe not but she wants to have dinner with them. She asks where HW is. ES will call HW down Once JY is out of earshot, ES tells HS about HW. (I hope HW will make a break out of the house and run away once ES lets her out for dinner).

- DJ comes out from his room to go out. He makes an excuse to his mom. Once out, he calls YS and tells her that he's coming to meet her. As he walks towards her house, a bus stops and out comes GP's mom. YS is busy checking her appearance when DJ calls her out. Turns out Dj wants to give her the present. It's a necklace with two rings (couple rings). She's touched and begins to tear up and he tells her it's not something to cry about. She thanks him and he thanks her back. He moves closer to kiss her and she closes her eyes. he stops halfway and tells her he has a cold so maybe they shouldn't kiss as he doesn't want her to catch it too. She whispers it's okay but he doesn't catch that. she repeats herself and makes some excuse about how she wont get the cold. They try to kiss again and it's awkward haha. Eventually DJ tells her to close her eyes and they finally KISS!! Yay! 

After the kiss, they stand with their back against each other, presumably from the awkwardness of the kiss. YS tells DJ that she doesn't even remember it anymore. They teasedeach other and start hitting each other playfully. SUddenly GP's mom appear and looking at them, she screamed out. Episode ends. 

PREVIEW:

- DS and SJ finally get together. (I think it's SJ DS is hugging). 

-HW comes to the gosiwon (yay!)

- YS is crying. I don't think Gook Ji approves Or is that a scene with her evil MIL? 

- SN finally tells SD what happened. SD is bummed too.. 

Thanks @TheMschelsea91 .for your live recaps, its appreciated.  I watched it live as well and there a few scenes worth noting.  

• The most important being that DS daughter DaJung who has always been somewhat against SJ being with mother realizes how much more a man he is in comparison to Mr Park.  In that she met Mr Park who came to the house to collect money from DS while dating him in other words he want her to pay him portion of the date expenses etc. she told him  that she can live with her grandparents etc if that was preventing her mother from being with him etc.  Mr Park agreed and was a boorish -ss as usual, SJ came and saw them since he wanted to say some hard/harsh words to Mr Park he sent her to the inside the house.  However, DaJung pretended to go inside and she finally saw how great SJ was,as he defended/protected DS and Da Jung talking about loving someone and accepting all of them etc of course that talk did not get through dense Park. Therefore because of what SJ did she will consent to them being together.
  • In the preview I think that YS is asking faux MIL to let her go.
  • In the case of ES/HW, although HW can be a bit annoying in her pursuit of TY at times. I find the mother's actions a bit more reprehensible and immature in that HW is an adult not a child, she is not doing any illegal activities, harming anyone nor is she working or doing anything constructive with her life per se except pursue TY.  ES's actions are counterproductive and shallow, that's what she can think of to stop HW? TY is 30 times the man HS is and both HW/HS knows it; in addition HS does not like TY as such he will do anything to sabotage this relationship especially with the JY connection.  I think besides having HW pursue TY, the PDs need to give HW something more constructive to do with her time & life; try and find another interest in what to do with her life.  Although she and ES has similar personalities, she should not spend the day or live the life like her with nothing to do but sit in the house all day ordering the servants, its wasteful and sad.  The girl is not yet 25 and its not a good message to portray to young women out there.  They can have her going to the library, museum, learning/testing out different jobs at least trying to find out what does she want to do with her life apart from being TY's wife.  I personally find it a waste of education and talent if that what they are saying that's all she can be. HW needs to learn how to be independent a person as well as be a balance in terms of partnership for TY for the future, what I see despite deep thoughts/words is inadequate.
  • SN's illness is coming to the forefront which now includes a headache a part from the temporary loss of memory. I am wondering if they are going to pursue an Alzheimer's story line or menopause (I'm no doctor). However, once I saw the headache scene, its time for her to visit the doctor.  

Thank you @TheMschelsea91 . for the recap!

Is anyone else frustrated at how long it is taking for the HW-TY couple to get together? I feel like the last couple episodes have just been filler for them and their relationship hasn't moved forward at all. I hope they don't get together right at the end of the series, so we can see how they handle actually being together in a committed relationship.

Also, @chasen8888 I agree with you that HW needs to get a job or find something for herself because she has so much potential that is being wasted by just chasing around TY. 

Thanks @TheMschelsea91 . for the live recaps, though today i have time to watch online, still grateful for recaps. And @natkat i also am getting impatient for HW and TY couple to get together. It has already reached 29 episode. I hope their relationship will progress soon, i suffered a lot watching Yeontae and Sangmin to become couple in Five Enough. Haha.

Archived