[Weekend Drama 2016] Laurel Tree Tailors 월계수양복점신사들 ~ Starring Cha In Pyo, Ra Mi Ran ~

tikamacika

@TheMschelsea91 . this is a forum, there is no need to apologise for having your own opinion or mine with my own. Both you and @Lmangla are reading too much between the lines. My post is on the page per episode is on the average of 1. It has no mention of rating. A forum is self explanatory. If only a few postings are up here, how can it be an interesting forum or even a forum? So my deduction is because the drama has nothing or very little to keep viewers wondering, enough to post here. Yes, I have been watching because LDG is back. Even with the developing relationship between DJ and YS, it is a bickering style. I am not comparing the speed with other dramas, KDs are not known for speed. I could go and make a cup of coffee and they will be in the same scene. Nevertheless, that one scene can generate a lot of discussion couldn't it?  Something that is also true, a great forum does not always mean an enjoyable drama. In my case, I want this drama to be less cliched, with some happenings to  make me sit up. No, I am not upset by cliches and thank you @TheMschelsea91 . for recognising my prerogatives.

2 hours ago, pinkdicentra said:

This thread actually has a higher views-to-reply ratio than other active threads (80:1 here vs 60:1 typical of popular threads), so maybe people who are interested in this drama prefer to lurk

How did you work out the views? You could be right, many viewers are watching the show but do not wish to post and they are happy with the drama.

My opinion, and I am not going to apologise for it, that this drama is flat. Even if Park Bo Gum is in this drama it will still be so. His character being the spoiled prince pushing around the little eunuch was funny.  I watched the scene where HJ(?) pushes TY around while shopping, just was not funny. Anyway, I found the 54 episode Dae Jang Geum to be so addictive that I started posting on the forum. So the number of episodes is not a factor on how active a forum is if the drama is good.

Maybe now more Soompians will post to say how much they like this show.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, maribella said:

How did you work out the views? You could be right, many viewers are watching the show but do not wish to post and they are happy with the drama.

In the forum categories page with the list of the active threads, in this case under "k-dramas & movies," you can see the number of views and posts beside the most recent post. When I was still lurking, I noticed that this thread had less pages than Blow Breeze (it's since caught up) but had more views. From there, I just calculated the ratio of some other drama threads to see what typical threads were like.

As for what's engaging or not in a drama, I guess it depends on preferences and expectations. What I personally want from a weekend family drama is different than what I want from a mini-series (in fact, I've dropped both of the two most popular dramas of year after ep. 6, but that's off topic). If there was anything I'd want to complain about regarding the drama, it would've been the video and music editing in the first 10 or so episodes. But even that's improved and the recent episodes are now flowing much better. The other thing is that KBS should invest more in their weekend drama "home" sets; they just look so obvious like TV studio sets and it doesn't help that you can recognize them from previous dramas. But overall, I'm satisfied with the drama so far.

Anyway, ratings for episode 17 = 23.7%.

Guest AlexMao

As much as I dislike the idea of Sun Nyeo bullying/trapping Sam Do with the idea of having a child I can't help but be a bit disappointed by the news. Going into the idea you could see how much he was against it but over the course of the last 2-4 episodes he was coming around to the idea that he might get a little "piggy". I can see the writers re-visiting the idea but for now it's probably a good idea if they let it go for the moment so they can focus on other things. It's a bit harsh but I think if/when they (the writers) broach the subject again I'd rather it be something out of left field rather than something they plan. Depending on how they plan on handling Man Sool's medical condition I can see them rolling their unplanned joy into a bit of bad news (one life ends, another begins).

My little temple stay bit didn't pan out but we had several Dong Jin & Yoon Shil moments so I'm not going to complain (too loudly). We go a bit more backstory on Yoon Shil but I'm getting to the point where I'd rather just forget about the would-be husband, the lackeys and that so-called mother-in-law and just focus on those two getting to know each other better. The one thing I do find a bit funny in all of this is how oblivious the two appear to be while dropping hints that even Sam Do picks up on. I think we still have a few episodes to go before they realize what's happening, so I'll just enjoy their shared moments. 

I doubt there is much to say about Tae Yang & Hyo Won honestly. The two are just as confusing as they are fun to watch complain/bicker about. Given the scene between Tae Yang & Ji Yoon I have to wonder how little missy is going to react. She's all about the present and future but her reaction, albeit priceless, tells me she's going to make a scene or two and they will be epic. 

Sung Joon & Dong Sook ... really I don't know. This and the last episode make me feel like I'm watching some teenage drama all the angst and silliness you'd expect but being played out by a man and woman in their early-to-mid 40s (40 and 46 respectively) just feels bizarre. I'm not against the story line I just want them to move it along a bit and get away from the sappy star-crossed lover bit already. 

1 hour ago, pinkdicentra said:

n the forum categories page with the list of the active threads, in this case under "k-dramas & movies," you can see the number of views and posts beside the most recent post. When I was still lurking, I noticed that

That is smart. Of course, views can also mean the same person lurking many times :) just kidding. That is smart, really. 

If I want anything serious from KD, I would watch the two or three parts drama special. All that I watched have been special. For the weekends or dailies, it has to have a great ending. Many have been lame. The saddest most memorable drama with gut wrenching ending was Damo. I dare not watch I am sorry I love you. 

The mini-series are the half hour dailies? One person who claimed to be Korean said that this type caters to housewives and other stay at home viewers, so the story line and characters may change 180o over the the whole drama. It must have popular Korean values.  It is usually very obviously low cost production and usually many new faces. I have never being able to watch every episode. Currently, I am following the 'Strange family' by its forum which is absolutely delightful. I cannot watch the show, it spoils my day. The show itself has degenerated into ridiculous to more ridiculous, but we are having fun and just waiting for how the story ends. It may end up being as moronic as the Two sisters also called heavenly love- I think.

This show uses the central concept of a father who is ill and has a mission a la What happened to my family  - which initially had 3 self centered children wrapped in their own careers or wants and in this show, there is only DJ. That show had a popular thriving neighbourhood food shop ( can't remember what) and this is a tailor. Another one was a dying mother with three children but only one was a selfish pampered oldest son. What about my mum, I think. They do borrow ideas and characters from popular shows- I don't have anything against borrowing. This show has not been successful to me. What happened to my family has many well established actors and actresses while this one has LDG and Sam Do. That may be a factor why I liked that show.

@AlexMao Didn't you watch My husband has got family? There was the same type has- been washed out pop idol living in their rooftop room, fed by an equally besotted divorced oldest sister. But she was not as silly as this one and the guy was also more subtle in his acting. A big plus was that we knew who were the main couple all along and did not get heavy doses of the two. This show may have a problem of trying to capture a big range of viewers from the young to the old viewers, so losing focus.

This episode felt more heartwarming/touching after I watched the subs. There were actually several scenes where I got teary-eyed (of course, I get teary a lot easier than most people though): when Yunshil described her first meeting at the tailor shop with Mansul, Samdo and Sunyeol arguing after they found out she wasn't pregnant, and even the last scene when Dongjin watched Yunshil walk up to her rooftop apt. I guess I'm weird since the last scene wasn't supposed to be sad or anything, or maybe it was the leftover feels from earlier in the episode, or the music :blink:.

@maribella mini series are the regular 16-20 episode prime time dramas, or at least that's what the drama awards call them.

I Love the show!!! Perhaps it is because I am an ahjumma. :PJust wanted to share that boxasian does the translation super quick. Usually in a couple of hours. I have been watching it there since Viki takes a tad longer. Would love for live caps!!!! Thank u!!!!

14 hours ago, pinkdicentra said:

This thread actually has a higher views-to-reply ratio than other active threads (80:1 here vs 60:1 typical of popular threads), so maybe people who are interested in this drama prefer to lurk . . . Being labelled "weekend" and "family" already lanslations or updates to attract additional viewers. So I agree with @TheMschelsea91 .

Count me I  as a silent lurker in this thread. Yes it has a higher views to reply ratio than other active thread. It has 25.747 views : 207 reply = 83:1 vs popular threads which has 1.630.000 views : 30.500 reply = 53:1. I hope this thread a little bit more active (every day I refresh forum soompi thread hoping there are any update for this drama :phew:). Sometime i want to send a comment but it takes a longer time for me to write in english languange :sweatingbullets:Believe me I really loved to read all of your comment and news. Keep posting yowww

13 hours ago, TheMschelsea91 . said:

BTW, regarding live-capping, I actually can be live-capping since I stream the new eps live anyway. I just didn't because: Not many of us here, I don't understand Korean, and I doubt i'm the only one live-streaming anyway. If anyone needs me to live-cap, just tell me so and I'll give it a try for ep 18. 

Yes please @TheMschelsea91 do a live-cap or screen-cap :heart:

3 hours ago, luffie said:

I Love the show!!! Perhaps it is because I am an ahjumma. :PJust wanted to share that boxasian does the translation super quick. Usually in a couple of hours. I have been watching it there since Viki takes a tad longer. Would love for live caps!!!! Thank u!!!!

I'm happy this drama has a quick eng-sub compare other family weekend drama. Thanks to all sub-ers

Really like the progress of DJ-YS. At first TY-HW is my fave couple not really interest for our main otp until ep.12. but now i'm always replay 3-5 times every scene of DJ-YS and TY-HW. 

Sad episode for SD-SN couple. SN should learn to be patient and not to rush SD having a child. Maybe they can focused on adopted child(?)

Am i the only one who think Lee Dong Gun look so sexy when wearing a white shirt? Gosh I can't stop staring at his hidden muscles :wub: 

Poor TY...HW and her mother have over thinking of him lol.

I usually post comments after I watch both episodes, but I'm going to try and increase the number of posts in this thread :lol: Besides a lot of details get lost if I wait for Monday to post my thoughts.

First off, the thing that struck me the most this episode (ep17) was when it was revealed that SunNyeo wasn't really pregnant, and the disappointment that ensue. I completely understood SamDo's frustration, but at the same time I felt really sad for SunNyeo. Of course, SamDo felt cheated, and he blames his wife, but I can imagine how even more heartbroken she was. This is considering their age, and that she must've wanted to give SamDo a child all this time. So much so that she imagined the whole thing. Hope everyone won't blame/insult her for this.

I also enjoyed DongJin and YeonShil's storyline so far, and I liked how their progress is not too slow and not too rapid. And YeonShil standing up for herself against the two goons was nice to see. On the other hand, I hope this misunderstanding HyoWon has with TaeYang ends soon. I want to enjoy the fun that they'll have when their relationship blossoms further, and root for them all the way.

DongSook still bugs me with her devotion towards SungJoon, but in a way I guess that's what happens when someone you obviously idolized growing up/when you were younger is so close to you, and so in need of help that you'd bend over backwards (rolling backwards perhaps) for him/her.

On a last note, still love Ms. Ko. Idk why she never disappoints, even when she was fuming at the matchmaker for insulting her :sweatingbullets:

12 hours ago, maribella said:

Nevertheless, that one scene can generate a lot of discussion couldn't it?  Something that is also true, a great forum does not always mean an enjoyable drama. In my case, I want this drama to be less cliched, with some happenings to  make me sit up

ah I see where you are coming from @maribella; yea, I do have to agree with you that this drama in that way is flat and there is that lack of one scene which gets people chattering. maybe we will get some later? hope so. right now, the drama is lazy viewing for me and so basically ms. ko's faboulous wardrobe, taeyang thor as @Latte_Anyday put it, (the guy has nice shoulders no? :P) and his interactions with ditzy hyowon are the draw for me. but it is not like I am on tenther hooks waiting for the next episode or cracking up over the makjang turning. the drama that way does seem like nice tea cake but without the icing or toppings.. am actually surprised this drama isn't more makjang and has those crazy hook moments because the writer wrote "hundred years inheritance" which was just fun crazy. :D

2 hours ago, peggygordon said:

Am i the only one who think Lee Dong Gun look so sexy when wearing a white shirt? Gosh I can't stop staring at his hidden muscles :wub: 

nope, you are not the only one @peggygordon. kekeke... he does look great in a white shirt! :D and dont worry about your english. it is totally fine and even if there are stuff off, no one is english teacher and won't correct. so it is all good. I sometimes write in absolutely garbled english because I am typing as I write and then I re-read and find all sorts of mistakes. so it happens to everyone. just post whatever you see about the drama. :) 

8 hours ago, AlexMao said:

This and the last episode make me feel like I'm watching some teenage drama all the angst and silliness you'd expect but being played out by a man and woman in their early-to-mid 40s (40 and 46 respectively) just feels bizarre. I'm not against the story line I just want them to move it along a bit and get away from the sappy star-crossed lover bit already.

wait, what, she is 46? omo, shouldn't she have a bit more brains at this stage? :huh:

Guest AlexMao

@maribella I don't recall making it all the way through that one. I think I gave it a couple of weeks before dropping it.

Break down of how series are classified

1. Daily dramas (100+ episode 30-35m shows)

2. Mini-series (16 episodes 60-70m shows)

3. Mid-length series (20-24 episodes 60-70m shows)

4. Serial series (50+ episode 60-70m shows)

5. One-Act (1-4 episodes 60-70m shows)

@Lmangla I can't say the two are playing their actual ages here but if you look up both actors Choi Won Young (Sung Joon) was born in 1976 and Oh Hyun Kyung (Dong Sook) was born in 1970, thus my early-to-mid 40s comment.

6 hours ago, pinkdicentra said:

This episode felt more heartwarming/touching after I watched the subs. There were actually several scenes where I got teary-eyed (of course, I get teary a lot easier than most people though): when Yunshil described her first meeting at the tailor shop with Mansul, Samdo and Sunyeol arguing after they found out she wasn't pregnant, and even the last scene when Dongjin watched Yunshil walk up to her rooftop apt. I guess I'm weird since the last scene wasn't supposed to be sad or anything, or maybe it was the leftover feels from earlier in the episode, or the music

it was the music @pinkdicentra; the soft beats sound rather melancholic, quiet and pensive. instead of a sweeping kind of happy, upbeat, love ballad. it is almost like the quietness after the rain. there is that kind of feel to that music. so thats why you felt like it was sad even though it wasn't. for me, the music made it feel like it is a love story that won't be. like an almost love story where two people connect for a brief moment but then they are back on opposite sides of the river and their life goes on. thats the kind of feel the music prompted in me...

6 hours ago, luffie said:

Really? thank you for the info. I usually watch at Viu because for me that's the quickest I can get sub,maybe around 12 hours after airing. . But in a couple of hours? Wow, that's quick.

And @peggygordon, your wish is my command haha :lol:. I'm already in front of my laptop waiting for the live ep that will start streaming in around 30 minutes anyway.. I'll be live-capping to the best of my abilities. As for screen cap, hmm, maybe no since I don't know how and also my stream link is not a very HD one but i choose that because it guarantees no lagging whatsoever but it' not going to look nice if I screen cap any pic from the video. Unless something REALLY juicy happens of course, (like a surprise kiss). 

I notice that the thread has really been moving along since yesterday. I'm glad this is the case. Here's hoping to more lurkers coming out and posting your thoughts and feels about this drama :)

The episode starts with a quick recap of yesterday's scene, DJ walked YS home and stared at her as she climbed the stairs to her rooftop house..Then she in turn watched him walk away.YS mentioned about "warm".. Not sure if she's referring to DJ.

Samdo and SJ are awake and drinking a mug of water. In comes DJ and TY notices that he isn't holding anything (remember he offered to walk YS home after saying he had something to buy from the convenience store in her area)

DJ asks TY where he works and he said at Meesa. SAmdo and SJ told Ty that Dj used to work there as the ceo or something. DJ asks Taeyang which department he works in and he says it's the TF Team for the Outdoor apparel. DJ asks TY whether Meesa is selling outdoor outfit now and TY says Hyosang as the CEO instructs it or something.. 

Meanwhile at home, Sunnyeo wonders why Samdo hasn't come back and didn't answer her calls. HE came back completely drunk and even fell asleep with the baby's clothes on his face.

THen, cut to dongsook. she's lying down wearing this white cloth around her head. Her mom comes in. Something about "Joonie oppa again".Then dongjin enters her room and gave her an envelope of cash.. Something about he hates her and their mom fighting. She tries to say no but he insists. she thanks him.

DJ and DS's mom on the phone. Not sure what this is about,, sorry.

Cut to SJ. he came out from the shower and someone stops him. Maybe the building management person. Taeyang is getting into trouble for allowing him to stay because his contract doesnt allow to bring guests over. So SJ leaves finally. Taeyang gives SJ pocket money and tell him to keep his chin up.

Then TY's phone rings. It's Hyowon haha. He wonders why she's calling at this hour. She asks him where he is. He says he's at home. she asks him if he's really at home, not outside drinking with some woman. He says no but something about even if he is, it's not her business. She tries to cover it by saying she's just worried or something. This scene is really cute because she totally doesnt trust him at all and he's bewildered as to why she's pestering him.

Then hyowon gets called to her mom's room. a conversation between the them and hyojoo.

I missed the next scene sorry.

It''s morning and samdo is leaving for work. he bickers with his wife. they're screaming at each other. 

48 minutes ago, TheMschelsea91 . said:

And @peggygordon, your wish is my command haha :lol:. I'm already in front of my laptop waiting for the live ep that will start streaming in around 30 minutes anyway.. I'll be live-capping to the best of my abilities. As for screen cap, hmm, maybe no since I don't know how and also my stream link is not a very HD one but i choose that because it guarantees no lagging whatsoever but it' not going to look nice if I screen cap any pic from the video.

Thank you so much @TheMschelsea91 . for your lovely recap. I'm sure there are people lurking this thread now to see your recap :heart:

DJ tells his mom, sis and niece that Sunnyeo isn't pregnant.

Cut to Sunnyeo doing the dishes and crying, saying she's disappointed too. Dj's mom comes in to console her.Can't understand their conversation..but something about babies, and not giving up hope or something

Dj is walking to work and sees YS eating toast from a road side stall. He greets her and she convinces him to try the toast. She even buys it for him. It's a cute scene of them eating toast. 

Hyojoo comes to Meesa. apparently they got her a position and Mrs ko and hyosang are there to welcome her.they fight as usual

Cut to hyowon parking and coming out of her car. She kept going back to her car to use the car window to re-apply her make up lol. Once she comes out from the elevator, she sees taeyang talking on the phone. She hears something again and interrupts him. She insists that he's talking to a girl about something but he really is talking to SJ. Annoyed, TY gives his phone to HW so she can check that he's really talking to his hyung instead of a girl. She says hello just to make sure and is dumbfounded that TY is telling the truth. TY tells her "are you my girlfriend" and immediately we can hear the sound of her heart beating lol..He walks away and she is left speechless, with her hand over her heart. She is completely in love haha. 

SJ got hurt as he is working/gardening. DS comes to his aid and took him to a pharmacy.

Cut to the tailor shop, they are discussing about the competition 

Then DJ and YS leaves somewhere in his car on work purpose. But pics of him and her getting into the car are snapped. Maybe Gi pyo's thugs. 

Once they're done with their business, DJ asks YS to go for lunch together. But his phone rings and it's the hospital. Lee Man Sool is in the hospital but i don't understand why. I guess because of his health issues. 

YS is shocked but DJ not so much. YS could see DJ knows something and asks him for info. I think she knows now and she's sobbing really hard. She keeps blaming herself for something. Dj tries to put a hand on her shoulder to console her but back out at the last minute. Then his dad is wheeled out. I don't think it's anything serious. 

Cut to DOng Sook coming into her mom's room. She gives her money and i think she asks if SungJoon can come now. Her mother chases after her and hits her. Sunnyeo and Samdo defends her. Eventually her mom says if he's going to come back there's going to be a condition.

Cut to the scene where Sj is saying he's going to marry her but it turns out that's just her imagination. he promises something so i think he's coming back now. 

Archived