[Weekend Drama 2016] Laurel Tree Tailors 월계수양복점신사들 ~ Starring Cha In Pyo, Ra Mi Ran ~

tikamacika

47 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@Lmangla  Not only her past behaviour of trying to help the non married married husband she even signed a paper stating she wouldn't date other men after DJ mom told her not to.. This is what I mean what women will strap herself down to a non husband husband.. I tell you I think she wanted to marry him because she liked the idea of being married and somw sense of security from said husband,

I don't think YS liked the idea of getting married at the start of the show as it is more like she doesn't have a choice and she is resigned to her fate at that point of her life.  She hasn't met anyone else other than the gangster husband and at the point I don't think she have a chance to know other guys too as GP will be constantly by her side.

She wasn't at all excited during her wedding ceremony as she was working till the time she was supposed to go to the ceremony. It was more like she have to do it out of duty and given the fact that GP threatened her into marrying him. Yes she was concerned when he was arrested as he promised her that he will resign from his gang duties and I think even being a concerned friend, anyone will be concerned about what happened. We can't expect her to totally ignore GP at that point as this is also not in her character as well.  Being a very respectful and thoughtful towards elders it was normal to see her being nice to her MIL. She refused to registered her marriage so by signing the agreement is one way of pleasing her MIL.  It is somehow better than actually registering for her marriage. 

I agree she needs to step up her act and confront GP herself but I don't think she is able to do it on her own given her character. She is way too soft hearted and will be easily bullied into a new threat. I think she needs DJ to be her source of strength and pillar as this will give her that required confidence.

Having said much... Let's all countdown to Saturday!

Wolgyesu tailor shop MANSE! :)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 30/11/2016 at 0:22 PM, pinkdicentra said:

I thought I'd have to learn Korean and come back after 5 or 10 years to understand this, but luckily a kind-hearted person from the drama's tieba/baidu forum has started subbing this into Chinese. For those who can read Chinese, you can find the first 23 min. subbed as 2 parts on Tudou.com. I can't read 100% Chinese, but I've translated these sections into English as best as I could. If more subs come out, I can continue translating them. They are under the spoilers since it's really long and most of it is not directly related to the drama. Source: Part 1, Part 2

Thank you sooooooo much for the translation! :wub:

55 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@Lmangla  Not only her past behaviour of trying to help the non married married husband she even signed a paper stating she wouldn't date other men after DJ mom told her not to.. This is what I mean what women will strap herself down to a non husband husband.. I tell you I think she wanted to marry him because she liked the idea of being married and somw sense of security from said husband,

your explanation makes more sense than whatever the writer is trying to say @sava2sava... if yun shil simply said that she got into a stupid marriage even though she knew it was a terrible idea because she thought she had nothing to lose, her life sucked, she was extremely lonely, she really wanted a family and she saw less than zero chances for a prince on her horizon -- at least her actions then makes sense... as for now, am not able to make sense of her past behaviour with her current one and it just leaves me feeling confused. this is a much more quieter romance mixed in funny cheesy comments from dong jin (he is starting to crack me up! :D) but it can be enjoyable if we actually understood yun shil. hope the writer clears up her character going forward....

confused-raccoon-emoticon.gif?1302774068

13 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

your explanation makes more sense than whatever the writer is trying to say @sava2sava... if yun shil simply said that she got into a stupid marriage even though she knew it was a terrible idea because she thought she had nothing to lose, her life sucked, she was extremely lonely, she really wanted a family and she saw less than zero chances for a prince on her horizon -- at least her actions then makes sense... as for now, am not able to make sense of her past behaviour with her current one and it just leaves me feeling confused. this is a much more quieter romance mixed in funny cheesy comments from dong jin (he is starting to crack me up! :D) but it can be enjoyable if we actually understood yun shil. hope the writer clears up her character going forward....

@Lmangla  Just as you said makes me feel like this relationship is being forced down my throat

16 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

YS is a essentially a doormat. It's hard to understand her behaviour because her form of resistance is so weak. However, I'm also a very timid and passive person (but I can resort to passive-aggressiveness!). If I were in her position, with no family and kind of stuck in this depressing situation, I might actually do the same thing (and that is do nothing). Her signing the agreement is also in character. She didn't voluntarily sign it, the mother-in-law literally pulled her thumb to the paper and stamped it. Of course, even if the mother-in-law was so strong and we couldn't resist her force, most of us would immediately take the paper, rip it apart and run away. But doormat YS just accepts it as it is.

37 minutes ago, effyisme said:

I agree she needs to step up her act and confront GP herself but I don't think she is able to do it on her own given her character. She is way too soft hearted and will be easily bullied into a new threat. I think she needs DJ to be her source of strength and pillar as this will give her that required confidence.

Yes, YS is too weak of a character to get rid of GP by herself. But I think it's ok that people need help from others before they can get the courage to do things that they should do. Just like DJ needs the tailorshop and YS to find out what it means to be happy and true-to-self, YS needs DJ to give her strength and courage. I didn't think YS could get rid of GP by herself nor did I want her to. I wanted DJ and YS to work on their obstacles together as a couple. So far, DJ is doing it by himself, but like others here, I hope that we can see YS' character grow as she builds self-confidence and joins him equally in the relationship.

6 minutes ago, pinkdicentra said:

YS is a essentially a doormat. It's hard to understand her behaviour because her form of resistance is so weak. However, I'm also a very timid and passive person (but I can resort to passive-aggressiveness!). If I were in her position, with no family and kind of stuck in this depressing situation, I might actually do the same thing (and that is do nothing). Her signing the agreement is also in character. She didn't voluntarily sign it, the mother-in-law literally pulled her thumb to the paper and stamped it. Of course, even if the mother-in-law was so strong and we couldn't resist her force, most of us would immediately take the paper, rip it apart and run away. But doormat YS just accepts it as it is.

Yes, YS is too weak of a character to get rid of GP by herself. But I think it's ok that people need help from others before they can get the courage to do things that they should do. Just like DJ needs the tailorshop and YS to find out what it means to be happy and true-to-self, YS needs DJ to give her strength and courage. I didn't think YS could get rid of GP by herself nor did I want her to. I wanted DJ and YS to work on their obstacles together as a couple. So far, DJ is doing it by himself, but like others here, I hope that we can see YS' character grow as she builds self-confidence and joins him equally in the relationship.

YS lacks self confidence to the extent that she will put herself down to the lowest possible point. 

You can see this many times in the drama when she kept questioning herself if she can love someone like DJ coz she feels she is so imperfect with many flaws. DJ was also visibly upset when she say she will eat anything and everything when he made the fried egg for her.  But DJ told her he wants her to feel treasured and loved and she even responds saying if she is worthy of such things. I like how DJ is slowly building her self confidence but I got a feeling Mrs Lee will just crush it again soon.

GP is obsessed with YS and that is not love.  YS nv felt like a queen in front of GP but in GP eyes he thinks he treats her like one coz he felt that he did so many things for her.  It was all the while an one way traffic. 

@sava2sava, @Lmangla, @effyisme: I actually re-watched episode 1 & 2 earlier today (was so bored), and the difference in YS' attitude towards GP, and GP's personality is really significant. It's like the writers decided to change the relationship between the 2 characters somewhere between the opening episodes and the more recent ones, so that their story line is easier to write, and thus easier to resolve. Of course one might say we didn't know GP that well in the early episodes, but still, YS behaves really differently towards him between then and now.

@natkat I suppose so. HW might feel wronged that TY didn't tell her about JY, but then again, all four of them were never in the same room as of now, right? That could be an excuse LOL

1 minute ago, wizuwizu said:

@sava2sava, @Lmangla, @effyisme: I actually re-watched episode 1 & 2 earlier today (was so bored), and the difference in YS' attitude towards GP, and GP's personality is really significant. It's like the writers decided to change the relationship between the 2 characters somewhere between the opening episodes and the more recent ones, so that their story line is easier to write, and thus easier to resolve. Of course one might say we didn't know GP that well in the early episodes, but still, YS behaves really differently towards him between then and now.

No worries chinggu as I also kept rewatching past episodes too haha.

I will put the difference in her behaviour to 2 things.  Firstly is because GP is now in prison and she finally have a breathing space and normally pple will start thinking and reflecting  of your life when you are alone. I will assume that she didn't had a chance before that because GP will stick to her like superglue. 

Secondly is because DJ came into her life and this also link to my first reason as she now realized that she is able to have such romantic feelings towards another guy and also finally understand what love is all about. She finally felt treasured.

If DJ did not come into her life or form any romantic relationship with her, she will still go back to GP because she doesn't have a choice doesn't have a family and resigned to her fate.  She defy will not be happy but she has no other choice.

3 minutes ago, effyisme said:

You can see this many times in the drama when she kept questioning herself if she can love someone like DJ coz she feels she is so imperfect with many flaws. DJ was also visibly upset when she say she will eat anything and everything when he made the fried egg for her.  But DJ told her he wants her to feel treasured and loved and she even responds saying if she is worthy of such things. I like how DJ is slowly building her self confidence but I got a feeling Mrs Lee will just crush it again soon.

@effyisme Even though DJ is building her self confidence the one person thats going to crah and burn it is Ms Lee she's going to hurt YS in the worst way.. Yes Ms Lee is going to hurt her badly you think she raised and groomed DJ for the blikes of YS granted he married above his status to begin with and had a wealthy wife Ms Lee knows DJ is also other rich heirs daughters would be glad to snatch a handsome smart man like him up and knows YS is in no comparison to a girl that just from and average family.. Yes Ms. Lee would never understand that DJ just wants to be happy..

5 minutes ago, sava2sava said:

@effyisme Even though DJ is building her self confidence the one person thats going to crah and burn it is Ms Lee she's going to hurt YS in the worst way.. Yes Ms Lee is going to hurt her badly you think she raised and groomed DJ for the blikes of YS granted he married above his status to begin with and had a wealthy wife Ms Lee knows DJ is also other rich heirs daughters would be glad to snatch a handsome smart man like him up and knows YS is in no comparison to a girl that just from and average family.. Yes Ms. Lee would never understand that DJ just wants to be happy..

Hey Chinggu do you remember DJ ex wife mentioned to Mrs LEE that DJ was just like a lottery ticket that she bought but it turns out to be useless. 

Ironically DJ mentioned to YS that he is also a lottery ticket that she won in the way that he is the best thing that ever happened to him and vice versa.

I hope DJ will use this metaphor again to let his mum know that he is truly happy when with YS :wub:

2 hours ago, wizuwizu said:

I know! it is one reason @wizuwizu why it felt like a whiplash when all of a sudden gyo po was a bad guy. like @effyisme said, she wasn't ecstatic about the wedding and had a pragmatic approach (borrowing dress from dong sook and working till the last day) but she wasn't unhappy either. she wasn't crying tears or sighing that her life is over. @pinkdicentra - can understand about her being a doormat and being timid but one would be an unhappy doormat or show some passive aggressiveness if you are being forced into something. she didn't look like she was being pushed against her will into anything. in the beginning, she came across as a practical woman who didn't believe in romantic ever after stories and was happy with just okay. she didn't seem unhappy with her choice. if he was such a bad guy who emotionally manipulated her, you would see a defeated bride who was a step away from crying. but we didn't. so it really feels like the writer had to come up with a way to make this pairing acceptable and the easy way out was making gyo po bad. I was hoping the writer wouldn't go down the easy path but oh well...

This is my own speculation as to what happened between GP and YS. See he followed her like that horrible dangerous stalker he is and tracked her down to Seoul. Then he must have seen how afraid she was and promised to quit his gang and mend his ways. You recall during the wedding he told his boys to stay away in case she sees them. The fact that he donated the kidney and how he promised to reform himself and his constant stalking must have wore her down. But bear in mind the people around her know the story and so she must have told them about GP and they have a poor opinion of GP and the person who conveyed that poor opinion to the people who care about her has to have come from YS herself. Since they would not know GP it makes sense that their unfavourable opinion of him must come from the single source: YS. So it's not true that the writer demonized GP he was a always this person that people thought was taking advantage of YS and using the fact that he donated the kidney to force YS. Plus YS's dad died anyway and I wonder if GP lied and never donated anything. YS isn't too bright either. It's easy to resign yourself when you feel you have no choices. It is also obvious GP has only a veneer of civility because he often threatens her and I think she just decided that it would be better than constantly trying to run away from him. She looked more resigned during the wedding rather than actually in any way happy to be marrying him.

Having said that I still think her innocence is a big plus for DJ because his ex was a crafty woman and I do not think he wants anyone like her in his life. He feels like a king I think next to YS because she considers herself not worthy of his attentions and thinks he is simply too good for her and this must make him feel so great after the ego bruising he got from his ex wife. However he also wants to treasure her which is also a great dynamic in their relationship as they are lifting each other up instead of trying to bring the other person down. What is the point of marrying some educated and wealthy wife if she just looks down on you.

Oh yes Mama Lee is definitely going to go on full steam to wreck this relationship cos darn it she is not going to let her precious son be taken by the likes of YS.

Edit: Just realised TY could have told them all about GP hmm there goes my theory but as you can see when they were berating her horrible choice of marrying him she did not contradict the fact that she was not really marrying him because she wanted to. However for TY to have such a bad opinion of GP he must have known why she had run away after her father died and everything else. Either way it makes GP look bad.

@effyisme  For a while YS was crusading for GP's release from prison.  Then it became clear that GP did not want to be released from prison because he wanted to honor his deal with the corrupt CEO to take the blame for one of the CEO's shenanigans.  I think that it was at this point that YS's attitude toward GP began to change.

20 minutes ago, jimb said:

@hyall  I recall DJ's mother signing YS's praises in an early episode.   Isn't she more concerned with the potential danger GP might pose to her son than hostile to YS?

While the gangster GP is a concern too but even if she may praise YS  she is quite materialistic too as seen with her insistence that her daughter overlook the behaviour of Mr.Park for a comfortable marriage and I believe she will not want someone like YS for her son either. This drama is 50 episodes if they do not show an unhappy and interfering Mama Lee I would be shocked and pleased to be honest.

This is long because it's a character analysis for YS.

I was going to quote people, but there's too many and a strong conversation already in the works.  But I'll throw in my two cents. 

I'll start off with YS and work into the people in her life.  I find YS to actually be a strong woman, just unconventional.  She's won't get into a cat fight; that's just not her thing.  She isn't hateful and sees the good in people. She won't yell (unlike so many other Korean women in the dramas) --- the actress in all the dramas I've seen her (which is all of her dramas) is very soft spoken.  She'll speak up, but she's not a yeller. I think those aspects of her personality is highly different to ALL the other women on the show.  We have several loud women on the show.  We have one super peppy.  We have another who is cold and detached and we have a crotchety old woman who speaks out of both holes (one minute---YS is great and I would have loved her as a DIL; next minute---don't do anything to confuse people and she's in a bad situation <---WELL PROTECT HER!). She's very different.  

I'm starting to wonder if that's the key thing...she's subconciously, not only being compared to the other women on the show (that have heavy presence) or she doesn't fit modern day perspective of women and their sense of power. The latter is especially true of the development of the new female characters I've seen in Kdramas - who are highly sexual and "aggressive".   There was a time people kissed like Eugene ---their lips would meet but nothing would move. Now the women and men are really kissing.  I can tell you write now, I've been watching Kdramas for bloody ever.  

YS's character reminds me of Choi Ji Woo as Kim Yon Soo in Beautiful Days with Lee Byung Hun. By the way, if you haven't seen that drama---I don't consider you a real Kdrama watcher (I say this totally in jest).  Really, if you haven't seen it...you should. I love that drama. I cried to oblivion. This dates back to when some people who are on here were born or were an imagination of their parents (2001).   <---- Not meant to be derogatory.  It's simply to highlight the interpretation of women from past and present and how many of us who are teens are given a different perspective in today's time period---while some of us older ones (like us pushing 40...tears) can see both ways.  Can it be irritating? Sure.  But actually, Yon Soo and Yun Shil are not different.  They are fragile in appearance, weak even, but they are sturdy. However, it's in an abstract form [their strength] and seen few and far between in the show.  By the way, for me...Choi Ji Woo is the most beautiful woman in Korea. I mean...she is stunning. 

044.jpg

Let me see if I can break it down more here.  YS does resign to getting married with KP.  This was not a happy situation..and I don't see how any one can think it otherwise.  She decides to work on the day of her marriage, when most women are prepping.  If they're miserable...they would be crying in a corner.  Or that's what we think is normal,  Yet, in many casess, when a person decides to work during something important it's for two reasons: 1) they want to pretend it's not happening; 2) they want to forget it's going to happening.  But everyone kept on reminding her.  If she worked until she missed the wedding she would have missed it.  And her excuse would be the same excuse it has been to KP for the last 20 episodes---"I was working so I wasn't able to call you."   "I was working so I wasn't able to come and see you." That's what she always said and continues to say to avoid the man.   So, she reacted normally from my perspective as some women would. Further more, it's consistent to how she was from episode 1 until now; so there really wasn't a turn around. I have friends like that.  This may seem off topic, but I think it's relevant.  I have two friends, one says - "I shave my legs when I'm looking for a boyfriend."  The other says to me, "I shave my legs when I have a boyfriend."  two absolutely different views. 

This woman was being stalked by a man she can't get rid of. We didn't know any of the background within their relationship.  During episode...possibly leading into epsiode 2, if I remember correctly.  KP actually seems like a very approachable and friendly person.  Everyone had an issue with the guy, her best friend (Kang Tae Yang) hated him. But they knew something about him that we didn't. Another thing we knew about him was that he definitely was a criminal (possibly in the past) because she called him out on his thug friends.  When KTY came to visit her, she was upset and unhappy.   She was not glad to be there.  I thought she looked stunning, but that was meaningless here. I think I understood her facial expression moving down the runway.  She's doing this for her dad.  End of story. She is sacrificing her happiness and life at this point (b/c there was something else we didn't know about) for two reasons---being able to live (I'll expand on this) and for her dad. In some ways, I think it's for her to live. 

Well there's this idea but she ran after him when the cops came, she was upset when he was put in prison.  Hell yes she would be. I would be, initially. There are two warring issues here...1) all those people at the wedding...I would be humiliated.   I don't care, I really don't care if you hate or love someone...you're left and cops come---that crap is embarassing.  Especially in front of people you see as family. 2) KP promised he wasn't into crime...he was changing his life. She sincerely believed he was making changes.  Then you're left feeling bad---because you're like he's a criminal but he did this for my dad.  He tried to save my dad.  He helped keep my dad out of debt. On and on and on and on. So was she trying to get him out of prison....sure.  This was at the end of the day the man who tried to save her dad...again it's gratitude.  This remains consistent.  She then realizes he did committ the crime, he did make a deal...I forgot which episode it was---maybe the one where his goons took her to see him.  She realized everything she thought about him hadn't changed---she wanted to pretend it did so she could live in a horrible relationship.

L9VXy_s-200x150.gif

Right now, in this part of the story.  She's not thinking about the faux marriage, she's not thinking about KP.  She's thinking about how DJ could be in love with a woman like her and a woman in her position.  That says to me...that her sense of gratitude is at least in mute until the guy comes back to guilt trip her. Again her character is consistent.  KP's character has been consistent because it's being developed.  We thought he was approachable even if he was a thug, with thug buddies (well I liked the guy).  We thought then found him a sleaze who was taken advantage by MHS. Then we really come to find out the dynamic of their relationship.  Guy was a thug gangster who loaned out money to people and then beat them up.  He saw her and fell for her at first sight.  Then he would come to her home drunk and verbally abuse her.  For instance, the time we first saw her and him and his drinking.  That wasn't the first time she ran from him.  She had done it before...several times. This is like an abused wife.  But this time, he didn't find her long enough that she was able to build strong relationships with people.

This is the part I will expand on this idea of living: This is the key here...she built relationships.  If I remember correctly, when he found her in her current location---that bum did two things...1) he threatened her by stating if she runs again...she wouldn't want to know what would happen to her---direct threat on her life; 2) and before he did that...he would hurt the people she worked with.  That's not a nice man.  She then made some conditions of her own---if she was going to live with this.  She was able to keep her job and keep the people she came to care about safe.  Then she was able to stay in the one location she felt were her family.  

The other side of KP is clear---and it's not like she had evidence to say he did this and this...and even if she did...I know if she would. It would again be like her paying some sort of price for what he did to her father.  It's like she's self-flagellation,punshing herself because she feels she owes the guy.  The writers have not strayed from that.

I completely understand why she would feel unworthy of DJ. DJ came from a very well known family business in Korea. It may not have been world-wide---but it was pretty well known in Korea. He works for one of the biggest (if not the biggest) mens apparel stores in Korea. His wife's father loved him so much he had his daughter married to DJ.  That is no joke---DJ wasn't chaebol born and he was chaebol adored and treated like one.  I suspect that's how Han Eun Sook even met the guy---since DJ was at the company young. This guy was developed around chaebol's, respected by them, and seen as an equal.   He may come from "humble" background, but his ladder runs wide and high. 

I would be intimated if I were YS.  Again, just like YS in Beautiful Days was.  Intimated by his intelligence.  She barely finished high school.  Intimated by the women he's been around---ie Ms. ex-wife.  Intimated by the company he keeps---like the American guy he was friends with.  Intimated by he languages he speaks--she's like at least I have Korean.  His languages and experience abroad and friends puts him at a 10 and she's at a 3.   I think many people would even think---shes not as beautiful as his Ex.  These are all things running through her mind.  He's out of my league, but he has a thing for me.   What? Why?   Then there's her struggle with understanding her feelings. When someone said she was an innocent, you're right she is.  She's definitely a virgin.  She wouldn't have went that far with KP and he would have made sure no other guy looked her way.   I don't think KP has ever kissed her---because he does care for her in his weird stalker abusive way.   Therefore, aside from feelings of feared gratitude, anger, resentment, and complacency...she's never paused since High School to develop a healthy romantic relationship.

She doesn't even know what a romantic relationship is---and it's clear she didn't have time to watch the dramas, like we can.  I never saw a television in any of the homes she had.  So lives in the bubble of the real world, ie working hard then resting hard (not playing).   

Ultimately, I find her and all the characters to be consistent in the writing---there doesn't seem to be a 180...I just feel a misunderstanding of the character.  YS is a strong woman.  She doesn't need DJ as her pillar.  Instead, she needs family as her pillar of strength.  She seems DJ's family as her family---but his family has said it, but not really actioned it. Do you really think if DJ's mum put that boy in his place that boy would come around?  Hell no. If her and DJ make it clear they're together---all of DJ's gang would back him and her and that pipsqueak would be on his way.   She needs that backing.  In reality the only one who was pushing against KP directly was TY--no one else. She can keep KP's darker side at bay, but she can't keep him away. Having that family support--really supportive...that's all she needs.

She doesn't need a knight in shining armor---unless he comes with his army.  

mob-wives-protect-each-other.gif

Magnificent @vaberella analysis loved reading that and thank you for pointing all that out. I had forgotten some of that.

I just watched episode 28 what a  great episode. I enjoyed Dong Jin asking Yun Shil to call him Ding Jin oppa. I always find the formal way they call the position of the man they are dating rather than the name very odd. Liked that he wanted her to call him oppa. I also loved how romantic he was and how he planned that date it was truly well done. I did not like those thugs confronting him and I am so very afraid they will ruin that lovely face of his. His corny jokes are really so sweet.

Loved how HW told TY about her loneliness and why she liked him. It was very brave of her to lay herself bare like that and showed him her thought processes. TY will be falling in love with this courageous woman if he is not already in love.

Enjoyed Mr. Park getting the boot.

Oh BTW Eugene can kiss watch this 

Spoiler

Archived