[Drama 2006] Lovers 연인

ay_link

:P Wow !! Can't wait for this drama to start. I last see him in the movie 'Shadowless Sword' and I have been missing him since. He sure is looking great now with his tan and 'six packs' and mustn't forget those DIMPLES :P (Not that he is not good looking before !!).

I hope this drama will have a happy ending because I am a sucker for good ending! :w00t:

That is why I still have not watch "DAMO' eventhough I have the drama cause I can't bear to

see him 'die' sob :sweatingbullets: sob :sweatingbullets:

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like LSJ, so when I read all the neagative comments about LSJ and I'm like 'Ouch!' - I recall that Jung Chan was also in The Land with Kim Eun-joo and as for KKR, yea, I remember her in Popcorn too. These 3 stars are fine with me, but as for KJE - I'd just say I'd rather the PD casted someone else instead.

Singapore's The New Paper has an article of 2 pages on this drama today, 'New Korean drama set to take region by storm'. In the article they talked about filming in Hainan in China.

Most of the article is talking about shooting overseas and how the drama wooed the regional media for the media tour. They also mentioned that the Hainan shooting will take up 3 episodes of the drama, which has 20 episodes. I don't have a scanner so I can't scan the article in, but maybe someone else can help. The article might show up in the online version of the newspaper tomorrow, if it shows up I can post the link here. :)

Wow...Mr Dimples sure has gotten alot sexier now..*phew*..

Thanks to his personal gym instructor..

Love him in 'Damo' and 'FireBird'...bet all the Boolsae Angels..Damo Agents are thrilled to his transformation.. :rolleyes: coz i do!!

inez, OMG! you are so right. most definitely thrilled with his transformation! i love it! Again, can't wait for this one!

Boolsae Angels/Damo Agents....how about a reunion with this drama :P ?

^^I have not seen Damo although I've seen Phoenix. He's really good in Phoenix. Heard Damo has a really sad ending....that's why i'm avoiding watching it for now....

hmmm....i wonder why this time the title is not "Lovers in .....<some place>". Since they've decided to name the first two Lovers in Paris and Lovers in Prague, they should name the third one Lovers in ..... Maybe Lovers in Seoul anyone? tsk tsk...

You really shouldn't miss Damo. It's a very entertaining drama inspite of the ending.

Thursday September 28, 2006

Romance, Korean style

By LI EE KEE

Director Shin Chul-woo may have been responsible for the mawkish Lovers in Paris (2004) and Lovers in Prague (2005) and is currently working on his third TV drama serial entitled Lovers, but he insists that he is no romanticist.

But what about the bulk of Korean dramas that portray Korean men as hopeless sentimentalists? Isn't that why majority of Asian women are falling shamelessly head over heels for them (granted that they also have killer looks to boot)?

"It is just drama," Shin noted matter-of-factly during an exclusive interview with the Malaysian media on Hainan Island, China, recently.

"To make a good drama, you have to first understand your viewers. The demographics show that women who watch Korean dramas are between 20 and 50 years old. So to make the drama appealing to them we need not just a good actor but also one who incorporates that good, romantic quality."

20sea.jpg

Filming a scene from Lovers, which stars Kim Jung-eun

(centre) and directed by Shin Woo-chul.

He found those attributes in Park Shin-yang (Lovers in Paris) and Kim Joo-hyuk (Lovers in Prague). In Lovers, he turned to the ruggedly handsome Lee Seo-jin.

"Lee has charisma. He plays Gang-jae, a mafia leader, whose tough exterior belies his sensitive nature."

20shin.jpg

Shin Woo-chul

For his heroine Mi-joo, Shin cast Lovers in Paris star Kim Jung-eun.

"I enjoyed working with Kim on Lovers in Paris. We had strong teamwork. Working together for the second time, we know what we both want and we are familiar with each other's style. There is mutual respect and we communicate well.

"I would be lying if I said Kim was the only actress I had in mind, but based on feedback I received, she is the perfect fit."

Their winning combination in Lovers in Paris garnered Shin the 41st Baek Sang Arts Awards in 2005 for best drama as well as the best drama series award at the 2005 Asia Television Festival in Singapore. Kim took home the best actress award in a TV drama at both ceremonies.

Does Shin feel the pressure for Lovers to be equally successful? "Like any drama director, I can only try my best and hope for the best."

Earlier during the press conference, Lee and Kim together with other cast members sang praises for the director. Asked if he felt burdened by their expectations, an embarrassed Shin said yes.

"But for me, it shows that they have strong faith in me and Kim Eun-sook (scriptwriter) and I am thankful for that. It is important for the actors to have trust in the director and script, so that they can focus and follow the script, not just interpret and translate on their own."

Lovers is the romantic yet poignant tale of Gang-jae and Mi-joo. They keep bumping into each other through a series of coincidences before their destiny finally crosses at a beautiful resort on Hainan Island. Lovers, which started filming on Sept 7 and is scheduled to finish on Jan 1, will air in South Korea on Nov 1.

Like his past two serials that were partly shot in Paris, France and Prague, the Czech Republic, Lovers is back dropped against the idyllic Hainan Island and beautiful Sheraton Sanya Resort, where the press conference was held and attended by members of the media from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, China and Malaysia.

Shin explained that for Lovers he wanted an Asian location. When he heard of Sanya, also known as the Hawaii of Asia with its beautiful scenery, he knew it was the perfect spot to showcase the show’s theme of romance and friendship.

He added that Lovers is a melodrama that not only revolves around romance, but also the love between friends and family.

"It's a broader definition of love, not just between man and woman. I realised that many popular Korean dramas provide that element of romance, so much so that it has become a formula emulated by many."

"Some viewers have complained that it's too formulaic. I think what is most important is how we encapsulate and transfer what is on paper to screen."

"Although Lovers is essentially a melodrama, we are also looking at the subject of friendship, which differentiates it from other series."

Why is the series not called Lovers in Hainan?

"Lovers was actually the working title. But everyone got so used to calling it Lovers that we decided to just stick with it."

Is this the last of the Lovers series?

"I'm not sure."

Lovers marks Shin's third collaboration with scriptwriter Kim Eun-sook, who was responsible for the previous Lovers series. Shin pointed out that often there are disagreements between directors and scriptwriters but luckily Kim Eun-sook and him have a mutual understanding.

"We work well together. Scriptwriting is detailed work and needs someone who is sensitive to the needs of viewers. Kim (Eun-sook) knows the concept of dramas well, as such she is able to entertain audiences with memorable storylines. She is also good at visualising and actualising characters."

Shin has no intentions as yet to venture into the big screen. According to him, TV still has much room for him to explore. Then what about tackling other genres aside from melodrama?

"In Lovers, you will find some action while Lovers in Paris had comedic elements. I am not really interested in doing horror or thrillers. What I really want to do next is a traditional, period-costumed drama."

Source: STAR online

http://www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.as...mp;sec=tvnradio

The cast

By LI EE KEE

Kim Jung-eun as Mi-joo

When I pick a role, it is more important for me to choose the people I am going to work with rather than the script. And I had no doubts that I wanted to work with (director) Shin Woo-chul and (scriptwriter) Kim Eun-sook again.

I play a plastic surgeon. She's a pragmatic and cheerful character. It's a challenge portraying her but I’m enjoying it. It's my first time working with Lee Seo-jin. He's serious in his work, really tries his best and makes the filming environment fun.

This is my first time in China. I haven't been able to see much of the country due to the tight shooting schedule but what I’ve seen is beautiful. The people are kind and I love the beautiful scenery. It’s been fun working here but at the same time I miss home.

20cast.jpg

The cast of Lovers (from left): Jung Chan,

Kim Gyu-ri, Kim Jung-eun and Lee Seo-jin.

Lee Seo-jin as Gang-jae

I've wanted to work with Kim Jung-eun for a long time and now that I've got the chance, I'm grateful for it. She is always cheerful and happy. I enjoy working with her.

In the series, I play a mafia leader who is tough on the outside but vulnerable. Whatever characters I play, there will be some points of resemblance between my character and personality in real life. Among friends, I'm tough but with my girlfriend, I'm more expressive.

In the story, Gang-jae is a tough guy in the beginning but Mi-joo brings out the softness in him.

Jung Chan as Se-yeon

Kim Jung-eun and Lee Seo-jin are professionals with careers dating way back. I have learned a lot from them. What I've learned will serve me well in my acting career.

Se-yeon is Gang-jae's stepbrother and he is always competing with Gang-jae for their father's trust and attention. He also has his sights set on Mi-joo, thinking that he deserves her more than Gang-jae.

Kim Gyu-ri as Yoo-jin

I'm the youngest of the four so there is going to be much for me to learn from my seniors. I'm looking forward to it. I will start filming my scenes next month. I play a bakery owner and Gang-jae's long-time girlfriend. When I get back to Seoul I intend to take lessons in baking as part of my research.

Viewers when they first meet Yoo-jin will have the impression that she is soft and weak but as the story develops they will see that she is strong.

Source: STAR online

http://www.star-ecentral.com/news/story.as...mp;sec=tvnradio

Guest YeeKrfan

Thanks Rubie! OMG I can't believe that I read it first online here before my newspaper...that's how much I depends on Soompi! :lol::sweatingbullets:

Definitely wanna watch Lovers!

Singapore's The New Paper has an article of 2 pages on this drama today, 'New Korean drama set to take region by storm'. In the article they talked about filming in Hainan in China.

Most of the article is talking about shooting overseas and how the drama wooed the regional media for the media tour. They also mentioned that the Hainan shooting will take up 3 episodes of the drama, which has 20 episodes. I don't have a scanner so I can't scan the article in, but maybe someone else can help. The article might show up in the online version of the newspaper tomorrow, if it shows up I can post the link here. :)

Here's the Singapore article :)

Hallyu, ASIA

New Korean drama set to take region by storm

By Maureen Koh

September 28, 2006

JUST like a first date, no expense was spared in introducing new Korean melodrama Lovers to the region's media.

np484457901010001ux8.jpg

DESIGN: LYNETTE CHIA

Nearly 30 journalists from China, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia were flown to Sanya, Hainan Island in China, where the series was being shot, last week.

Lovers is the third series, after the highly successful Lovers In Paris (2004) and Lovers In Prague (2005).

It is believed that this is the first time a Hallyu (Korean wave) production has kicked off with such a big bang.

Especially since the Hainan setting takes up only about three episodes of the 20-parter that will air from 1 Nov in Korea.

The trend of shooting a Korean TV series overseas is not new. It started with the phenomenal success of the Las Vegas-filmed All In three years ago.

Lovers series director Shin Woo Chul, 37, told The New Paper: 'Before All In, filming was confined to within the country. Venturing abroad was unheard of, but All In busted that 'myth'.

'It transcended all boundaries to make the impossible happen and, in doing so, it opened up a whole new dimension of opportunities.'

As the director behind the successes preceding Lovers, Woo Chul should know.

HIGHLY RATED

np484428801010001cc9.jpg

Newbie Yeon Mi Joo heats things up on the set of Lovers. -- MAUREEN KOH

Lovers In Paris, shot in the romantic capital of France, captured an average rating of 42.5 per cent, while Lovers In Prague garnered 30.3 per cent at its highest.

So why Hainan Island this time?

Woo Chul said: 'The first two instalments took place in Europe. (Writer Kim) Eun Sook and I wanted a setting that would showcase the romantic allure of the story - somewhere exotic.

'It occurred to us that Hainan Island was the perfect location. After all, it is known as the Hawaii of Asia.'

So it was amid the lush setting of the Sheraton Sanya Resort that several key scenes from Lovers were filmed.

The story revolves around Ha Gang Jae (Lee Seo Jin of Phoenix and Damo fame) and Yoon Mi Joo (Kim Jung Eun, who also played the lead in Lovers In Paris, and was last seen on Princess Lulu on Starhub Cable TV.)

Gang Jae is a member of a Korean mafia family while Mi Joo is a pragmatic plastic surgeon.

Their paths cross on Hainan Island - Gang Jae had come here to settle a mob score and Mi Joo, at the invitation of suitor Kang Se Yeon (Jung Chan of Typhoon In That Summer).

Throw in a sultry love rival played by newbie Yeon Mi Joo and the wooing begins in earnest.

WOOING THE MEDIA

np484428601010001ms5.jpg

Lead actor Lee Seo Jin playing the son of a Korean mafia family in Lovers. -- MAUREEN KOH

But the chase was not limited to the star couple. The regional media was wooed with equal zest.

The itinerary for the media tour on Hainan Island was packed as we were whisked from ballroom to ballroom for interviews, a press conference and a sumptuous lunch.

The media was also treated to behind-the-scenes glimpses of the cast and crew in action.

Complaints, if any, would be the nagging 'lost in translation' feeling that the non-Korean speaking journalists had.

Often, long replies peppered with laughter in Korean became stiff answers in English.

The language obstacle was magnified after a mini 'crisis' with the Hong Kong media.

One of the Korean-speaking reporters, it seemed, had bombarded the stars with relationship-related questions, spawning a 'strictly no personal questions' directive from the public relations company handling the event.

The remaining journalists were then forced to have their questions screened.

It got so bad that a question like: 'What attributes would your dream lover have?' was met with a firm no.

And even when a question was finally put across to the cast, the replies were less than forthcoming.

MISSION: ASIA

Yet, the mission here was clearly to lure the Asian audience in a bid to sustain the Hallyuwood buzz - Hallyuwood being, of course, the Korean equivalent of Hollywood.

In a report released by Korean Broadcasting Institute last year, Japan took the biggest share of the Hallyu export pie with about 60.1 per cent or US$66.4 million ($106m).

Taiwan was second followed, by China and Hong Kong. Showbiz exports to Singapore were 1.1 per cent.

South Korean media company KDream director David Kim said its aim was to attract some 4 millions of viewers across Asia.

Mr Kim, 37, said: 'We've introduced Europe to the Koreans. It's time now to concentrate on Asia.'

Set up two years ago, KDream has a lofty vision - to become the leading production company in Asia by 2008.

Mr Kim, whose fascination with film began when he was only 6, said: 'Lovers is our debut effort to introduce emotion and adrenaline-filled visual stories to the region.

'For the past few decades, Hollywood has given us the American dream - where most of us grew up mimicking gunmen in Western movies, eating, sleeping, wearing and thinking like the main characters.

'I feel it's time for us to realise our own dreams, the Asian dream.'

And to do so, said both Mr Kim and Woo Chul, it is vital to retain the successful K-drama formula - by staying down-to-earth.

'You have to connect through the workings of the daily lives of the ordinary people,' said Woo Chul.

Added Mr Kim: 'You have to weave in the element where the viewers can identify with the characters. They have to be able to feel for them and, most of all, feel like them.'

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/show/story/0,...,114486,00.html?

Thank you rubie & syah4brit for the 2 interesting news articles. :wub: :wub:

Wow...reading the 2 articles...I was really surprised.

The storyline of Lover is nothing close to what I had in mind :) It's always good to be surprised...hehe...

Wow...so we'll be looking forward to watching another gangster falling in love...hehe...

I think Korean Drama makes us like gangster...so strange...hehe...

Haven't seen LSJ for so long...I'm just glad to see him again soon.

Guest loving_D

i hope this is better than lovers in prague. i dont know why, but i stopped watching that after the first episode. :blink: but i loved, loved lovers in paris.

i hope this is better than lovers in prague. i dont know why, but i stopped watching that after the first episode. :blink: but i loved, loved lovers in paris.

Hmm, somehow I kinda enjoyed Prague better haha but yups I'm anticipating Lovers, hope it'll be as good as the first 2 or better still, turn out to be the best out of the 3. Lee Seo Jin is looking more and more attractive I must say :blush:

I thought I read an article a long time ago that said Kim Joo Hyuk and Kim Ha Neul was going to be in this, so I'm kinda disappointed that the cast changed. :( I was really looking forward to seeing Kim Joo Hyuk again cuz I liked him in Lovers in Prague. I liked Lee Seo Jin in Phoenix and Damo, so glad to see him acting in another drama, but unfortunately I'm not too crazy about Kim Jung-eun...

Guest YeeKrfan

Hmm, somehow I kinda enjoyed Prague better haha but yups I'm anticipating Lovers, hope it'll be as good as the first 2 or better still, turn out to be the best out of the 3. Lee Seo Jin is looking more and more attractive I must say :blush:

Me too...I love LIPrague more than LIP and enjoyed the chemistry of KJH & JDY, such wonderful couple and praying hard "Lovers" will be the BEST one! :w00t:

I thought I read an article a long time ago that said Kim Joo Hyuk and Kim Ha Neul was going to be in this, so I'm kinda disappointed that the cast changed. :( I was really looking forward to seeing Kim Joo Hyuk again cuz I liked him in Lovers in Prague. I liked Lee Seo Jin in Phoenix and Damo, so glad to see him acting in another drama, but unfortunately I'm not too crazy about Kim Jung-eun...

Yeah same here! Was looking forward to KJH and KHN since both are my favourite. I wouldn't mind LSJ at all tho and the plot is very interesting!! :D

Guest teautis

Its really been a while since i saw LSJ, last show i think for me was "Shadowless Sword", it was simply just too short for me!

Will definately watch. Let's hope the storyline is strong and well written...

Hope to see all LSJ groupie camp here again!

Archived