[Daily Drama 2016] Heaven's Promise/천상의 약속 KBS2 Mon-Fri 19:50 KST

debbiek153

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@sherrrr --- You asked if TJ loves Sejin? I think the correct question would be:"Does TJ know what love is?"  Abandoned by his mother at the age of 7, he was abused physically and emotionally by his Uncle and his wife.  He received kindness from NY   and her family.  He was praised for being smart in school  & even won a scholarship. which was taken back very fast.

He thought Marrying Se Jin was his "ticket" to a better life --- Among the rich & powerful upper class of society.  Wonder what he thought as he reeled from the impact of KW's 2 punches?  Just like the good old days at home with Uncle & His wife, & dear old Mother? & maybe all the "Uncles" she brought home, too?  Must be a rude awakening at least --- He believed they were "high quality" people.  But they are every bit as immoral and without principles and higher values as the family he so desperately wanted to leave behind.

Was he disappointed, I wonder? Had he expected better behavior among this group of people? --- Rich people at the top business class in the country.  He is actually rather naive.  He lived as a graduate student in the States ---a pleasant, comfortable, worry-free life style. Surely he understands that KW plans to be tough and to be physical --- Will use force to get his way.  KW said it and showed him how he does things. Tae Joon should be worried about the safety of Na Yeon & Se Byul.

And "Hello" to my friends from IHAL --- @my2centsworth,  @Katrina Abdul Talib, @Misstwilightfan1416,   @Kfan7172.  After the 4 year separation (in IHAL), I've decided that long separation are sometimes "required" to account for  changes or reversals of affection in Kdramas written for TV (a slight joke- Ha, Ha).  At least it's a way to change gears quickly.  I agree with you, @Kfan7172,  Na Yeon should have figured out there could be problems after such a long separation!   But I'll overlook this little detail if the drama gets moving and the characters are really good.

Tae Joon is a "damaged" product of an abusive childhood --- And the abuse started from very early childhood.  Can he recover on his own at this age? Will he even recognise his dysfunctional behavior? Or wish to change it?  Very intelligent, he has learned to act in ways pleasing to people in position to help him achieve the power he craves.  Will he face a wall in the future?  A wall he lacks any skills to go beyond? A wall that will bring his progress to an abrupt halt?

Before I forget, @baduy,  I have a question for you. On p.10 (just found  my note!) you said something about the TV Stations in Korea going "off the air" late at night.  Here in the States they stopped doing that sooo many years ago!  I had that thought once this year as I was accessing a site for "live on-air" TV episode of IHAL  (10 PM KST) --- Nothing happening after Midnight & closer to early AM ( Korea time)..   I was still a child when only the "Test Screen" was on every  USA TV channel.   Was I mistaken? Or were you making a joke?

Guest my2centsworth

I have made a personal conclusion.........about TJ ! ! ! The guy we all love to hate.  Unfortunately  we can not choose our parents and this is the case with TJ. His father dies and he is left with ( to much of a lady to call his mom  the name I want to ) horrible mother who left him with an aunt and uncle who only use him as their slave. Enough to make anyone want a better life for themselves.  But it's how we go about improving out lives. TJ rode on the "skirt tales" of YN to make it in this world. Now he dumped her, leaving her with his child to raise. Now he is about to marry into what he thinks is a better household. BUT WAIT...........SJ's looks at him as a possession, because whatever Miss Babydoll  SJ wants, she gets.  Then he meets SJ's mom.....what does she do.....calls his a jerk and slaps him.  Then last we have SJ's father........THE MASTERMIND behind  "wooing"  TJ and planning to make him his son-in-law.  Well, JKW didn't think that TJ would have an hidden child, even though he knew full well he was involved with another woman.  So what does JKW do......punch TJ.   ONE THING TJ NEEDS TO KNOW........YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW ! ! !  I can see TJ full of regret but by the time he realizes the mistake he had made by getting involved with that family.....YN will be dead ( not the real YN ) and possibly his daughter too.  TJ is about to live hell on earth. Not just for what happens to YN or SB, but SJ's parents are going to make it  far worst for TJ than when he was  a young boy living with that horrible aunt and uncle. I have a ringside seat for all the festivities.......LOL.  This is going to be so much fun watching TJ suffer.

@mdj101

You brought up an interesting point with ‘Nature vs Nurture’.  It made me think about HP’s characters from a different perspective: I might look at each of them has a mixture of influence from Na & Nu in a different degree.  This gives the characters varying degrees of flaws and insecurity and then the drama shows how each character deals with their own given circumstance, for example like ambition and greed. So far most of HP characters have shown a lot of nuance in their behavior about some of which you gave a good description.:)

I too noticed how intelligent NY seemed to be at the beginning then disappointingly she became rather washy later. Then  I realized perhaps the writers had to turn NY like that to carry on the plot line (for twins) just like the 5 years time jump which created a few inconsistent /illogical parts about the characters. To me they were just a few minor defects to be bothered by.  ^_^:o  

About KW(SJ’s dad) and SJ, I feel they both are alike in a sense regarding ambition but  they have differences. KW is ceo. He has to be disciplined but he showed he had some principles (sympathy/fairness) in him during a driver’s death.  However he punched TJ twice saying once for TJ not finishing his relationship and second, for worrying about another girl instead of thinking about SJ.  It was obvious KW did that out of concern for SJ but does it make him really bad?   Yes/nooo  haha  

Well I know we are going to discuss continuously about TJ and KW.  I think that’s good. It means these characters are treading a lot more on grey than either black or white which makes them more interesting.   

Guest my2centsworth
6 minutes ago, mdj101 said:

@sherrrr --- You asked if TJ loves Sejin? I think the correct question would be:"Does TJ know what love is?"  Abandoned by his mother at the age of 7, he was abused physically and emotionally by his Uncle and his wife.  He received kindness from NY   and her family.  He was praised for being smart in school  & even won a scholarship. which was taken back very fast.

He thought Marrying Se Jin was his "ticket" to a better life --- Among the rich & powerful upper class of society.  Wonder what he thought as he reeled from the impact of KW's 2 punches?  Just like the good old days at home with Uncle & His wife, & dear old Mother? & maybe all the "Uncles" she brought home, too?  Must be a rude awakening at least --- He believed they were "high quality" people.  But they are every bit as immoral and without principles and higher values as the family he so desperately wanted to leave behind.

Was he disappointed, I wonder? Had he expected better behavior among this group of people? --- Rich people at the top business class in the country.  He is actually rather naive.  He lived as a graduate student in the States ---a pleasant, comfortable, worry-free life style. Surely he understands that KW plans to be tough and to be physical --- Will use force to get his way.  KW said it and showed him how he does things. Tae Joon should be worried about the safety of Na Yeon & Se Byul.

And "Hello" to my friends from IHAL --- @my2centsworth,  @Katrina Abdul Talib,  @Kfan7172.  After the 4 year separation (in IHAL), I've decided that long separation are sometimes "required" to account for  changes or reversals of affection (a slight joke- Ha, Ha).  At least it's a way to change gears quickly.  I agree with you, @Kfan7172,  Na Yeon should have figured out there could be problems after such a long separation!   But I'll overlook this little detail if the drama gets moving and the characters are really good.

Tae Joon is a "damaged" product of an abusive childhood --- And the abusive started from very early childhood.  Can he recover on his own at this age?  Very intelligent, he has learned to act in ways pleasing to people in position to help him achieve the power he craves.  Will he face a wall in the future?  A wall he lacks any skills to go beyond? A wall that will bring his progress to an abrupt halt?

Before I forget, @baduy,  I have a question for you. On p.10 (just found  my note!) you said something about the TV Stations in Korea going "off the air" late at night.  Here in the States they stopped doing that sooo many years ago!  I had that thought once this year as I was accessing a site for "live on-air" TV episode of IHAL  (10 PM KST) --- Nothing happening after Midnight & closer to early AM ( Korea time)..   I was still a child when only the "Test Screen" was on every  USA TV channel.   Was I mistaken? Or were you making a joke?

You must have been writing this comment at the same time I was writing mine below.......great minds think alike....lol  Just one thing about TJ.....being abuse growing up doesn't justify doing what he has done to YN and SB. With his smarts he could have stayed with YN and raised SB together and taken that business degree and gotten a great job elsewhere. Of course he would have to pay SJ's dad back. And it would have taken him longer to climb the ladder of success, but he would be able to look back on his life and tell himself he did it the honest way. But is had done it that way.....we wouldn't have a great drama to watch.....and you and I may have not met. 

Did not  know that about Korean TV.   I can get two local Korean stations here and they show info commercials in the wee hours of the morning.   I can remember an aunt of mine  talking about how they stations here use to play the National Anthem before sign off the sir. I am realizes that it may be the 21st century that some countries still aren't there.

@my2centsworth --- I was asking @baduy about something he wrote on p.10 ---I found the note I made about it.   I was really curious whether or not the TV station went "off air" or not?   I just went back & he seems to say that, after a 1:30 am KST,  KBS2  TV documentary, "soon would come time for some  Public Service announcements, then the last wave of the Taegukgi and they'll shut down for the night".  Was he just being funny again? or serious?   So I asked him about it. First time I'd ever heard this --- in this Century, I mean!    

Guest my2centsworth
27 minutes ago, mdj101 said:

@my2centsworth --- I was asking @baduy about something he wrote on p.10 ---I found the note I made about it.   I was really curious whether or not the TV station went "off air" or not?   I just went back & he seems to say that, after a 1:30 am KST,  KBS2  TV documentary, "soon would come time for some  Public Service announcements, then the last wave of the Taegukgi and they'll shut down for the night".  Was he just being funny again? or serious?   So I asked him about it. First time I'd ever heard this --- in this Century, I mean!    

Just thought of  something....may still have web addy that leads to the live streams of some of the networks there in Korea. Because of the time difference between there and where I am , might be able to see what stations are on or off. Sorry for the misunderstanding. thought that the stations there did indeed shut down in the wee hours.

@my2centsworth

Thanks Yes I forgot some of the details related to the earring.

I think Hwi K  mom (Yeong Sook) dumped Mr. Baek (DH's dad)  to marry for money but Mr Baek maybe believes Big Park snatched her with his power/money.  I feel Yeong Sook is greedy like YG and she knows a lot more about YG.  I’m curious how the three became friends and what happened to them before they split.     

Oh Yes TJ and KW are interesting and complex characters.  With TJ I don’t think I have to slap him too much because his future MIL YG will do that to him plenty. In the preview YG puts a money envelop on the table for TJ’s lack of pocket money. YG knows how to parade masterfully around underlings who has the upper hand.   She will torment TJ mercilessly. Yeah He punched TJ twice (one for not finishing his relationship and second, for worrying about another girl instead of thinking about SJ) but KW isn’t a match with his wife.   If you watch the conversation between YG and her dad’s wife, Yeong Sook, it’s like watching a verbal assault by two masters, though YG usually comes out more winner than Yeong Sook.     

PS Dear kdrama girl Obviously you are having fun and thank you for sharing it with us :lol:

zQaBtdu.jpg1AV4wii.jpg

Guest my2centsworth
On 2/28/2016 at 11:09 PM, booha said:

@my2centsworth

Thanks Yes I forgot some of the details related to the earring.

I think Hwi K  mom (Yeong Sook) dumped Mr. Baek (DH's dad)  to marry for money but Mr Baek maybe believes Big Park snatched her with his power/money.  I feel Yeong Sook is greedy like YG and she knows a lot more about YG.  I’m curious how the three became friends and what happened to them before they split.     

Oh Yes TJ and KW are interesting and complex characters.  With TJ I don’t think I have to slap him too much because his future MIL YG will do that to him plenty. In the preview YG puts a money envelop on the table for TJ’s lack of pocket money. YG knows how to parade masterfully around underlings who has the upper hand.   She will torment TJ mercilessly. Yeah He punched TJ twice (one for not finishing his relationship and second, for worrying about another girl instead of thinking about SJ) but KW isn’t a match with his wife.   If you watch the conversation between YG and her dad’s wife, Yeong Sook, it’s like watching a verbal assault by two masters, though YG usually comes out more winner than Yeong Sook.     

PS Dear kdrama girl Obviously you are having fun and thank you for sharing it with us :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, I am having fun. This is turning out to be a great drama.......just hope it stays that way.

The relationship between DH's father, BDJ and the Chairman' wife, YYS, I think he was in love with her and not the other way around.  As far as  YYS marrying the chairman for money......I don't think so.  The Chariman, PMJ and his wife YYS seems to have a very loving relationship.  And I also think and could be wrong, but DH's already had money with his company. Now if it's his company or he married into it ....I don't know. But I really believe that PMJ and YYS love each other very much.

Three young girls in school together and were close friends....YYS, PYK and YN's mom LYA. What happen to cause them to go each of their different ways..... hopefully the writer will let us know. But we do know that PYK stole JKW away from LYA, much like what SJ has done to YN. One difference is SJ's dad planned it all.

I agree with you over how outspoken  PYK is and never holds her feelings back. She fights with words.....ugly and hurtful  words.  Where JKW is silent and patient. He thinks things out before he talks. TJ will indeed get it more from PYK than JKW. Either way.....TJ is going to get it from the front and back.

As I was reading the cast lineup, we have a character that hasn't been introduced yet. Got my curiosity up.  He is Kang Bong Sung and his character is Heo Se Kwang and is suppose to be a friend of TJ? 

@my2centsworth

Hea Se Kwang (Kang Bong Sung) is a step brother of TJ.  That’s why he has a different last name.  It hasn’t shown where he lives now.  Maybe, with his father??   Maybe TJ doesn’t know he has a step brother.  Well It looks like not only TJ has to watch out for the fast ball coming from both his in-laws, he has to deal with his mom and bro.:sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets: 

강봉성

http://media.daum.net/entertain/star/newsview?newsid=20160219171652894

Guest my2centsworth
On 2/28/2016 at 0:42 AM, booha said:

@my2centsworth

Hea Se Kwang (Kang Bong Sung) is a step brother of TJ.  That’s why he has a different last name.  It hasn’t shown where he lives now.  Maybe, with his father??   Maybe TJ doesn’t know he has a step brother.  Well It looks like not only TJ has to watch out for the fast ball coming from both his in-laws, he has to deal with his mom and bro.:sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets: 

http://media.daum.net/entertain/star/newsview?newsid=20160219171652894

Thank you for the info. I had heard mention of a brother but wasn't sure who he was. So DH's family driver, who is pretending to be rich to find a rich wife is really a hustler.......how funny. When I think about it, TJ is s hustler too. Just his style is different.....lol

Don't quote Images, gifs or Videos...

Guest my2centsworth

Just saw the live stream of esp 21. Not bad.....but it took till the end for anything to happen. Of course no english subs, so I will tell you what happen by only the character's actions.

1. YN's adopted mom finds the newspaper under the bag of onions and reads about TH getting married to SJ.

2. Think TJ's mom got evicted. Not sure but YN stop paying the rent.

3. SJ's mom meets with TJ and gives  him an envelope full of money.    It appears that she is trying to buy him off so he won't marry SJ.   But he refuses it and when he does he can hardly talk because of  smiling at her.    Which you can see irritates  her. He leans toward her over the table and says something again with a big smile and she gets up and rushes out leaving th envelope on the table which TJ takes.

4. TJ is in the bathroom and his phone riings. It's his mom and she telling SJ without knowing it's her about her eviction....I think. Anyway SJ finally introduces herself and TJ's mom clams down. Then after the call SJ look at TJ's phone and takes down YN phone number before TH comes out of the bathroom.

5. SJ call YN and I think they are going to meet, but another calls come for YN. It's SJ's dad. They meet in a cafe. Not sure what is said, but I think YN has not intention of letting TJ go. In the previews you see YN on her knees  in front of him.

My one thought about this is......JKW now knows what YN looks like, Not sure if he knows who she is yet. Think she tells him but not sure. He did looked shock at something she said. So....JKW knows what YN looks like as an adult. What will happen when he meets DH or YN playing DH? If DH/YN marries PHK, then she will be part of that family and at some point they will meet. Now that is going to make a great scene.

@booha 

You mean none of those punches was for abandoning Yeon Ha and her daughter?? :blink: Well there goes any sympathy I had for his character. I thought he was pretty decent in the beginning, what with bringing her home after the mother died, but I guess he's been nosediving pretty severely since then. 

Doesn't it occur to him that this is a testament to the character of Tae Joon? Isn't he worried he may do the same thing to Se Jin down the line? I guess not otherwise he wouldn't still be fostering their marital hopes. If it was my daughter and I found out the type of person she was marrying had less than stellar credentials I wouldn't put up with it. 

What's he going to do now? Offer Yeon Ha money to quietly disappear? I hope she tells him where he can stick his money. Her daughter deserves a father even if the parents aren't together. It's not such a leap in this day and age to expect as much. I wonder what Se Jin will make of the little girl?..... would she be willing to let him be a father to her? Not likely if her mother's behaviour is anything to go by. She was adamantly against Yeon Ha being around her husband,

So many selfish characters. I'm glad Yeon Ha has woken up and is not paying the rent anymore for Tae Joon's mother. About time. I can't believe she has supported her all these years as well as raised her daughter. Somehow I can't see Se Jin being as filial. 

Thanks @my2centsworth for today's recap. 

Edit: And what's this about a step brother? At least we can be thankful he hasn't been sponging off Yeon Ha for the last five years either. I wonder if it's the 'hustler'?

@mdj101 & @booho Your recent discussion/posts on Nature vs Nurture  @mdj101  @booha

At this  point (EP 1-17 eng sub) I am seeing a very basic/core characteristics shared by TJ, HSG (TJ step brother) and OMJ (their mother).

-To get ahead in the world they share the common goal of finding a more successful partner whom they can manipulate for an easier life path, rather then stand/depend on their own efforts.  Easy way, is better way, seems to be their shared thinking.

TJ - At this point, very successful in reaching that goal by using his looks and intelligence.

HSG - Still in search mode --is currently going off track, has picked the wrong target.  He uses his looks, smooth words, acting skills to be successful in reaching his goal.

OMJ - In her youth, used her looks and was very unsuccessful in picking and keeping the right partner.  Older, perhaps a little wiser, Has basically given up this method and thanks to the fortune teller, is now counting on her son to be her path to wealth and a life of ease.  NOTE- Fortune Teller told her "son" only, no name - we now see there are at least, two sons-- I will not be surprised, if at the end of this drama, she discovers she picked the wrong son to grab onto.

@mdj101 Owh hi there..still remember me. I left IHAL as I lost interest esp in JE being such a weakling, not sure watched till which eps but the final I noted in dramawiki the ratings went way down till it ended. 

So far HP managed to bring out the realities in our daily life, love the ways NY/TJ is showing us their conflicted emotions. Love her daughter and esp so, such a loving adopted family. Even TJ's and SJ's parents. Fantastic acting from all.

Just saw raw and am not able to understand most of what is being said, such a sad episode when mum discovered the article about TJ. Did I hear correctly, end of this episode KW mentioned Yoon Ae? If he is aware NY is YE's daughter yet still mistreated her, he is a real devil!

5 hours ago, MadraRua said:

You mean none of those punches was for abandoning Yeon Ha and her daughter?? :blink: Well there goes any sympathy I had for his character. I thought he was pretty decent in the beginning, what with bringing her home after the mother died, but I guess he's been nosediving pretty severely since then. 

I too was under the impression that he was angry at TJ for abandoning a woman and his child. It does seem like living with that family has changed him for the worse and he has gone dark. NY did reveal her identity to him at the end of the episode and it seems like that won't change anything as seen in the preview. Right now, all he cares about it SJ's happiness....everyone else, his first love's daughter can go to hell. I'm sure he'll attempt to pay her off even with the knowledge that she is NY. Each time this man does something that impacts NY's life negatively, it makes the wait for the father-daughter connection reveal even more unbearable.

5 hours ago, MadraRua said:

I too was under the impression that he was angry at TJ for abandoning a woman and his child. It does seem like living with that family has changed him for the worse and he has gone dark. NY did reveal her identity to him at the end of the episode and it seems like that won't change anything as seen in the preview. Right now, all he cares about it SJ's happiness....everyone else, his first love's daughter can go to hell. I'm sure he'll attempt to pay her off even with the knowledge that she is NY. Each time this man does something that impacts NY's life negatively, it makes the wait for the father-daughter connection reveal even more unbearable.

Should NY (not DH) finally marries HK, this couple's ways of life will be a total contrast from TJ/SJ. Haha..both are going to get real heartache from their mums inlaws. Esp TJ's mum, a real parasite. LOL

NY/HK both are very level headed, both being cheated once and both having caring and supportive parents n inlaws. Just am not able to tie up yet should NY is to take up DH's role, then what is going to happen to her adoptive family? Are they going to play along the revenge plottings  for NY's sake?

As of now I feel NY will not be the one to die. Her adopted family (mum n siblings) are given a lot of airtime, so I cannot imagine they are going to let this family just go away (fm the screen) with the death of NY?

Archived