[Taiwanese Drama 2016] Back To 1989 1989一念間

sugarplum892

4 hours ago, AlexMao said:

@mabelialong Problem with your theory is that Zhen Zhen wasn't romantically involved with anyone before Che Chen showed up. A point that kind of gets brought up as well is that Che Chen has asthma and we've already kind of established who in the fab five has asthma so unless one of the "bad guys" has asthma and well the unthinkable it's safe to assume that Ya Juan and one of the male members of the fab five is Che Chen's father. We'd all like to root for  Jin Qin and Ya Juan but at the same I can't help but think the man a bit squishy in so much that he runs away at the hint of trouble. That being said I can see Jin Qin being the father but at the same looking at the first episode and well the reaction of Ya Juan it's entirely possible that when Ya Juan announced her pregnancy he ran away. Problem is there is another flaw here as well. Ya Juan's mother. I can honestly see her paying off Jin Qin and/or his father to "go away" thus causing Ya Juan's current/future opinion of Jin Qin. 

Actually @mabelialong theory may not be impossible because in that reality , ZZ could be romantically involved with someone after she gets attached. For eg, if the attack did happen, it could trigger Li Xiao Long confessing his feelings (as he has always held a torch for her) and they could be together (since ZZ did not appear, nobody else on the scene and ZZ maybe vulnerable )

@AlexMao I think your theories about Ya Juan's mother paying off Jin Qin is also plausible considering Jin Qin also has to shoulder his family burden.  So many possibilities - so long till Friday!! 

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Mico Ricco said:

@lizzieyen l am equally hooked to this drama.  Yes, there is a possibility CC been to the past before and he is not remembering it now.  With 8 episodes remaining l doubt we will get to see CC traveling to and forth between 1989 and 2016.  12 episodes already over, l do feel that CC did not focus nor put in lots of effort finding out his father's identity.  He is just flowing with time (days and weeks) till his birth. There are many unresolved issues which we have seen in 2016 - an unhappy Ya Juan presumably breaking off contacts with all her friends, Ya Juan's family broken up, etc etc l prefer for CC re-fixing things which have gone wrong when he visited 1989 (or previously as you have said) instead of finding out his father's identity.  CC is now in another dilemma - both ZZ and him have fallen in love so to stay in 1989 or travel to 2016 together?

sharing two recent OST.:-

credit : youtube - 滾石唱片 ROCK RECORDS

@Mico Ricco  I guess to a certain extent, ZZ can't go and ask Ya Juan who is she gonna have sex with :) So he has to kinda wait and see but he definitely thinks Jin Qin is his dad. I thought it was quite cute how happy he was to see who he thinks his parents are. I think ZZ is quite a typical representation of a child that grew up longing for a family who was likely a latch key kid as his single mom had to work hard to support them both and hence not able to dote on him. 

Re his romance with CC, oh dear - what shall we do! My bets are he will choose to stay in 1986 instead of going back to 2016 (in episode 13) when he sees CC. Please do not descend into over-wrought meldorama (thats looking at you 15 years of waiting for migratory birds!)!

On 4/17/2016 at 3:32 AM, scr0ll said:

Interesting analysis of the end credit scene. It gives me hope that they will figure out a way to stay together. 

Though when thinking about end credit scenes I remember that none of the scenes used for intro or end in the drama Bromance were ever used in the drama. They were just mood setters. 

Crossing fingers this drama will stay as a feel good drama and not turn tragic! 

(Also, I'm a bit embarrassed to ask. If anyone in this thread could tell us non mandarin speaking what they are saying in the BTS and news clip? I'm not asking for a full translation, but just the gist of what's going on? I'd be incredibly grateful! I'm so curious about these actors. They are all so sweet. :wub:)

my Mandarin is not good enough to translate all the BTS (sorry!) but you should check out this fan-made video on youtube which pieces together all the BTS of Marcus Chang (CC) and Ivy Shao (ZZ) - just search for "Marcus Chang and Ivy Shao" and you will get it. They have freaking good chemistry and there are rumors that they are dating IRL.

1 hour ago, lizzieyen said:

Hope not - I could never understand how the characters can have such deep feelings if its just a dream! That would be a total cop-out!

BTW, hi again @Thunderman ! 

Hi, Chingu! :)
Long time no see!  How have you been? It has been a while since that one awfully long Chinese drama.. it started out so well and then ended so poorly. lol 

38 minutes ago, thunderman1 said:

Hi, Chingu! :)
Long time no see!  How have you been? It has been a while since that one awfully long Chinese drama.. it started out so well and then ended so poorly. lol 

Been good, thanks! That seems to be a common plague with c-dramas but i take heart that they are continuously improving. Give them time! 

Was on the Imperial Doctress thread - i liked that very much actually. Also currently watching Ode To Joy and cant quite finish the last 2 episodes of 15 years waiting for migratory birds! Legend of Qing Qiu Fox was surprisingly watchable and I also totally enjoyed Detective Housewife. :)

Not to be the depressing one here.. but what I think happens is that Ya Juan is sexually assualted by that "big brother" character. After that happens, she hides away from her friends. Cuts ties with Jin Qin, and blames her mother for what happened to her. She has CC on her own and never wants to bring up the father due to the bad event that happened. 

I watched the first episode again and the scene where she is visiting her father in the hospital and it kind of made sense like that.

31 minutes ago, lizzieyen said:

Been good, thanks! That seems to be a common plague with c-dramas but i take heart that they are continuously improving. Give them time! 

Was on the Imperial Doctress thread - i liked that very much actually. Also currently watching Ode To Joy and cant quite finish the last 2 episodes of 15 years waiting for migratory birds! Legend of Qing Qiu Fox was surprisingly watchable and I also totally enjoyed Detective Housewife. :)

Wow! You've been busy! I watched none of the above so I will have to follow you to keep up with C-dramas.

38 minutes ago, illneverletyougo said:

Not to be the depressing one here.. but what I think happens is that Ya Juan is sexually assualted by that "big brother" character. After that happens, she hides away from her friends. Cuts ties with Jin Qin, and blames her mother for what happened to her. She has CC on her own and never wants to bring up the father due to the bad event that happened. 

I watched the first episode again and the scene where she is visiting her father in the hospital and it kind of made sense like that.

@illneverletyougo that sounds very probable and i would bet on that too. 

15 minutes ago, thunderman1 said:

Wow! You've been busy! I watched none of the above so I will have to follow you to keep up with C-dramas.

@thunderman1 once bitten by the bug, you can only succumb :)

i love this kind of drama that you cannot guess  the ending... it hook you not to miss any episode... and the hero actor was so good looking and can act very well too. he kinda had nicky wu's aura and charm...definitely handsome and gentleman...

13100685_1086989158040358_84396630225549

13086762_1086984348040839_25351215119624

Spoiler

13043473_1087010921371515_73512514645080

Guest AlexMao

I'll admit I may have missed the odd bits here and there throughout the series but I honestly don't recall these scenes. Someone enlighten me as to which episode this image was made from. I'm more interested on the bit on the right than the kiss bit if only because it seems like a more intimate moment (yes, yes I know kiss ... kiss trumps ... well you know).

WWdrkOM.jpg

@illneverletyougo i share same view as you.

The "big brother" favored by YJ's mom is likely CC's biological father.

l am wondering what happened to both the big brother and JQ?

"Big brother" jailed for doing bad things to YJ or "escaped" to the US and never return?

JQ ... still not married in 2016 and continually waiting for YJ?

3 hours ago, AlexMao said:

I'll admit I may have missed the odd bits here and there throughout the series but I honestly don't recall these scenes. Someone enlighten me as to which episode this image was made from.

The kiss part is not intimate because it's an accidental kiss when CC was trying to get his cellphone from ZZ in episode 3.

I think the image on the right is from a pictorial but the set/time is from the ending song.

tumblr_o1ivwm9KO71qjewt6o6_250.gif

10660242_983206311750434_716681241564123

(used this on my sig)

12400860_986089464795452_785594203587091

13000375_1055194141218317_45689429721576

gif and img cr to owner.

Maker I hope that they won’t turn this into some makjang with rape and stuff. I love the “feel good” of this drama. So here is me rooting for no bad guy doing something horrible. I hope the conception was a moment of passion between two people in love. I would seriously get really disappointed with this series if it turns into the shitty trope territory.

I like that the conversation and speculation has picked up around the time travel conundrum. Either he is taking part in creating the future he knows or he is changing it. My top 2 theories are:
-    Fate and destiny - a looped timeline. CC has travelled back in time, but this is not the first time. In fact he is the one setting the future in motion and creating what he already knows. It doesn’t matter what he does because this is what happens every time. His mother will get pregnant with him, he grows up and travels back again, mother will get pregnant with him, he grows up and travels back again. And again.
-    Action and consequence – different timelines. This is more like the movie “Back to the Future”, where this is his first time travel and everything will change in the future. Once he arrives back in his own time, everything he knows will be changed but since his existence is from another timeline he won’t have experienced it.

I hope this turns out to be the different timelines so we get to see CC go back and forward, maybe taking ZZ along for a roundtrip of “fixing all the things he messed up”.

I would prefer if ZZ went with CC to 2016 instead of him staying in 1989. It’s equally hard for him to explain where he comes from as for her. If they work out how the time traveling works, ZZ might be able to tell her family what she will do and they can wait for her.

Guest AlexMao

@scr0ll I have to disagree honestly I think Che Chen seems more comfortable in 1989 than he does in 2016. He has a mother that is warm and caring (albeit unsuspecting of his origins), he has ready access to a lucent grandfather, a spiteful grandmother and well friends and a makeshift family in Zhen Zhen's mother, father & brother. 

As for the possibility of Ya Juan being a victim of "something horrible" I would honestly like to think the story won't go that route as it's been very good natured and mostly wholesome (looking at Ya Juan's mother). We just need to figure out what Xiao Long has gotten himself mixed up with and what Zhong En's intentions are because with every scene he's coming off more and more like a "bad guy".

Looking at the preview for next episode, we will likely know something must have happened. 

Zhong En trying to explain something to Jin Qin.

Zhen Zhen comforting a crying Ya Juan. 

A very upset Jin Qin.

If something bad really happened at Zhong En's restaurant then will Chen Che blame himself later for agreeing setup the meet up there?

Unfortunately l cannot understand the chinese character in the preview clip.

3SYqrCL.jpg

NtgzFBX.jpg

V6TL0k5.jpg

12 hours ago, Mico Ricco said:

Looking at the preview for next episode, we will likely know something must have happened. 

Zhong En trying to explain something to Jin Qin.

Zhen Zhen comforting a crying Ya Juan. 

A very upset Jin Qin.

If something bad really happened at Zhong En's restaurant then will Chen Che blame himself later for agreeing setup the meet up there?

Unfortunately l cannot understand the chinese character in the preview clip.

3SYqrCL.jpg

NtgzFBX.jpg

V6TL0k5.jpg

Big brother is saying that Jin Qing must learn to let go ....

Thank you @lizzieyen for the translation.

Finally it's Friday!

i particularly like the following from episode 12; ZZ still recovering after CC told her that he is from 2016 :-

13063031_1057481734322891_79172409872223 

l simply love reading the various theories on both Zhen Zhen and Chen Che; and l am rooting for both to stay in the past.  So this makes Chen Che's traveling back in time as an one-off & accidental happening.  l hope for Chen Che to make more efforts to ensure that Ya Juan and her parents stick together happily into the future.  Chen Che is currently just a bystander watching history repeating itself which we know from episode 1 made Ya Juan unhappy and her father gone "bonkers". 

58 minutes ago, Mico Ricco said:

Thank you @lizzieyen for the translation.

Finally it's Friday!

i particularly like the following from episode 12; ZZ still recovering after CC told her that he is from 2016 :-

13063031_1057481734322891_79172409872223 

l simply love reading the various theories on both Zhen Zhen and Chen Che; and l am rooting for both to stay in the past.  So this makes Chen Che's traveling back in time as an one-off & accidental happening.  l hope for Chen Che to make more efforts to ensure that Ya Juan and her parents stick together happily into the future.  Chen Che is currently just a bystander watching history repeating itself which we know from episode 1 made Ya Juan unhappy and her father gone "bonkers". 

@Mico Ricco.  I actually liked the part in ep 11 where CC was trying to stop ZZ from going with Xiao Long . His behaviour is indeed that of a Boyfriend (which as ZZ rightly pointed out was unfair to her if he just wants to be friends) but definitely shows how much he cares. I liked how ZZ reacted - incredulity and questioning ; and Nor swooning or taking his words at face value. She may not be Super intelligent but I find her character pretty real. 

One theory I have is that by CC going back has already changed history. Perhaps in this reality, Ya Juan did not become pregnant with him as his birthday is August and it's already December (unless he was a preemie). If not for CC, Jing Qing may not have had enough courage to pursue Ya Juan after the awful blind date confrontation. If CC was not around perhaps Ya Juan and JQ did not get together so quickly which led to a different reality. 

It's Friday today!! 

Archived