Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

@packmule3 That's still high school so yeah, I did. Quite an early one at that! I just put that down as being a remnant from that era. Her dad was bragging about DS being 989th place in school so they clearly didn't expect much studying out of her.

On that note: I really liked that DS's parents didn't really focus on her grades too much. A lot of K-dramas tend to show the parents being overly involved in their kid's grades so it was refreshing to see ones that were just happy that their kid was happy; regardless of the fact that DS was ranked so far down the list. 

8 minutes ago, phikyl said:

DS, the girl who has no fear, is too terrified to look back and see that it’s JH following her. The baffled look on her face when JH tells her good night is priceless. Lol

True. hahaha. I thought she looked baffled that JH brushed off their altercation and said, "good night" as if it wasn't an issue for him. Like, "Huh? Didn't you GET what I said?  I'm mad at you!!"

But here was a moment that I think the shippers missed. This was a "line" that she didn't want HIM to cross. Similar to Bora later on when she told SW that he was making her uncomfortable and annoyed with his following her around with his crush. 

DS didn't want JH following her, either.   She wasn't relieved that it turned out to be just JH...like she was with TK during the Burberry incident. 

4 minutes ago, kepogee said:

Ready!

Starting the episode now! 

Hugs, @kepogee!! Glad you made it. 

tumblr_o4r1wwIutH1tulljko1_500.gif

I do remember this scene. I love how she ate with a gusto. That was so like her.  Thanks for the gifs! They always make rewatches more fun. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

Another comment on the familial relationship, I found it odd that it was DS who went to the Dooly supermarket instead of No-Eul that late at night. DS was given a lot of freedom to wander around at night. At 18 years old. Didn't YOU have a curfew, @phikyl? @kepogee when you were that age? 

I think DS was the one who went to buy the snacks because chores like buying food, preparing the food and seem to be her thing. In ep 1, she was the one asked by her mom to prepare the food during dinner and come morning she was the one who put the rice in the bowls. I think food is like her showing love for her family. 

At 18, I too didn't have a curfew as long as I text my parents what time I will be going home yay for technology lol. 

• Like 2

I like that scene too. JH doesn't comment on her eating here but he does correct her pronunciation.

TK just lets everything slide, as usual. 

@kepogee Jealous! Even at 18, my curfew was "streetlights" if it was a school night.

There's no picture with the camera settings in the frame to show it but the scene with SW asking BR to the concert is him "crossing the line" too. I think the only ones who didn't cross a line this episode were JH and DR.

Also, what's up with the focus on that streetlight? I always thought that was kind of weird for them to pan up and focus on that in the moment SW gets rejected. 

2 minutes ago, kepogee said:

I think DS was the one who went to buy the snacks because chores like buying food, preparing the food and seem to be her thing. In ep 1, she was the one asked by her mom to prepare the food during dinner and come morning she was the one who put the rice in the bowls. I think food is like her showing love for her family. 

At 18, I too didn't have a curfew as long as I text my parents what time I will be going home yay for technology lol. 

Yes, I noticed that.  She was tasked to do these household chores ...Was it because she was the middle child? Hmmmph! I would have protested lol and demanded chore parity.  But then I was the only girl...

Yah! When I was growing up cell phone technology was still being used for putting man on the moon. hahaha

• Like 3

Oh thanks @packmule3 for posting that song.

Also, one thing i notice about the scene where JH followed Deoksun that night is the BGM used. Music has been a key ingredient in Reply franchise, it completes the scene and tells the story of the moment. This happened in r94, i was too naive back then to notice it, but during the rewatch here in r88 i became more attentive to the BGM used. 

We can all agree that <A little girl> is the anthem of Deoksun. It plays during HER key moments in life (this was played in the future episode with Taek). For the supposed OTP, the scene where JH thought he protected DS by following her at night, the song played was <Hyewadong> which was the song used for the all the friends (OT5) scenes. 

• Like 8

Adult Scene! That arm bite. Haha! 

The way TK is smiling after he says "Do you want a mirror?" You were totally right @packmule3, DS just didn't understand his humor. He definitely wasn't expecting to be bitten after that remark. 

3 minutes ago, cooleet said:

I'm here too! A bit late, but still here...

Not that late, but join us! And post comments. 

You know, @kepogee, this scene when JH mentioned Red Cross charity bugged me. This told me something about JH’s character.

His friends are eating breakfast at his home, and he practically calls them moochers, cadgers. Rudesby! lol. His mother invited his friends as HER guests to HER breakfast table.  

Meanwhile, TK has his friends over at his house all the time, making free use of his things, eating ramyun,,, Of course, he only offers them ramyun, but he doesn't call them parasites. Or ask them what they’re doing in his room when he isn’t there.  He only locks his drawer for privacy, and the rest is communal property. 

Moocher!!!!

tumblr_o4r1wwIutH1tulljko1_500.gif

• Like 5

I really love this song "Youth" that plays during the funeral scenes.

"45 is too young to die." Isn't that around the age TK and DS would be in present scenes?

6 minutes ago, packmule3 said:

Meanwhile, TK has his friends over at his house all the time, making free use of his things, eating ramyun,,, Of course, he only offers them ramyun, but he doesn't call them parasites.

I think he only offers them ramyun because he doesn't have anything else in his house. If he had braised short ribs, he'd part with those for his friends too. During the Episode 1 food train, TK and his dad were the ones relying on food from the others to fill their tables. Iirc, they only had rice and one other dish before the kids brought things from their house. Would TK's dad even be able to cook the braised short ribs? We know TK can't cook ramyun. 

4 minutes ago, phikyl said:

Adult Scene! That arm bite. Haha! 

The way TK is smiling after he says "Do you want a mirror?" You were totally right @packmule3, DS just didn't understand his humor. He definitely wasn't expecting to be bitten after that remark. 

kekeke. Not only that, did you notice him glance at her lips? When I wrote this, the JH shippers thought I was inventing things. But as it turned out, in Episode 20, TK had this thing about DS' lips. Especially in the car. Replay those moments and you'll see him glance at her lips whenever she nagged or pouted or coaxed him to do something. Just like this scene. She was baiting him with that question about being pretty.  Didn't she say that she was pretty and he was lucky to have a pretty wife like her. So, why was she asking him for confirmation?   Aissshhh.

But he did look stunned when she bit him. hahaha. 

• Like 6

Lesson in life: while your husband is still strong and alive, make sure that the deed of your house is in your name and your husband. What happened to SW's mom is very scary... but it's reality... some in-laws are really bad...

I love the dynamics of friendship in this episode... it's all about taking care of your friends in time of need. Like how all the ajummahs took care of Taek while his dad is away... how DS took care of Taek in China... how they comforted SW omma and how Taek's dad helped SW's omma and vice versa...

They weren't related by blood but they're better than some so called family members... i hope my kids will find these kinds of friends...

• Like 6