Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

Now that we know Taek is the hubby, there's no doubt it was decided from the beginning tho I'm sure it weren't reveal to any of the actors. 

I still remember watching the introduction by DS in ep 1, she introduced JH & DR as KJH & YDR but just TK & SW without their surnames. However we get to know TK surname soon enough since his name keeps appearing in the news. I did wonder  abt it before, now we know why DS never introduced their full name like JH & DR....because TK & SW are family, one is her husband, the other one is her brother in law,  while JH & DR are friends. The introduction was made by future DS as the beginning of her interview. 

Yeah actually the husband hunting was quite straightforward especially after SW's real crush was revealed. The one that keeps muddling was when many keep insisting future hubby looks like JH, when he looks nothing like JH or any of the boys. Or than his character is more to JH which I argued fiercely because after 27 years hubby's tone to DS is much softer even when he's annoyed & cursing, than the 18 yrs JH. In life people usually gets more serious,  stricter,  harsher as they grow older...so I know it can't be JH...

Anyway JH is still a cool guy as individual.  Its just that DS isn't meant for him. Their characters clash too much to  be a couple, while TK's tenderness & attentiveness full filled  DS's needs

• Like 19

5 hours ago, miri13 said:

I think the first one has a date of 1988.9.20 with two sunflowers and leaves on the top; it is a page on the right side.  From what I can make out.  "...house silent(?) ... time. That is why a more painful time.  My heart towards you does not want to rest or sleep.  One said people are wired to express.  Thus, today, I gathered up my courage and gave him chocolate."

Thank you for taking your time @miri13 to translate, when is dubokki scene of DS/her Gfriends ? it's after the chocolate thing right..? the chocolate is before SW crushing?

Now, if that so.. @packmule3 might right, DS intent to give the chocolate to TK  which Adult DS said it also that he gave the chocolate to TK.. but just switching happened and end up with JB.. hihihihihi...^__^

one thing bothering me is, why DS torn only the page of what she have done for SW (poster thing)If she also give the chocolate to SW , she might torn that pages as well? i don't know if I'm making any sense.. hahahaah..^_^

"My heart towards you does not want to rest or sleep' - is she's referring TK?

whats your thought roommates?

@packmule3 what do you think?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lxands said:

Now that we know Taek is the hubby, there's no doubt it was decided from the beginning tho I'm sure it weren't reveal to any of the actors. 

I still remember watching the introduction by DS in ep 1, she introduced JH & DR as KJH & YDR but just TK & SW without their surnames. However we get to know TK surname soon enough since his name keeps appearing in the news. I did wonder  abt it before, now we know why DS never introduced their full name like JH & DR....because TK & SW are family, one is her husband, the other one is her brother in law,  while JH & DR are friends. The introduction was made by future DS as the beginning of her interview. 

Yeah actually the husband hunting was quite straightforward especially after SW's real crush was revealed. The one that keeps muddling was when many keep insisting future hubby looks like JH, when he looks nothing like JH or any of the boys. Or than his character is more to JH which I argued fiercely because after 27 years hubby's tone to DS is much softer even when he's annoyed & cursing, than the 18 yrs JH. In life people usually gets more serious,  stricter,  harsher as they grow older...so I know it can't be JH...

Anyway JH is still a cool guy as individual.  Its just that DS isn't meant for him. Their characters clash too much to  be a couple, while TK's tenderness & attentiveness full filled  DS's needs

i only noticed this during rewatch too!

and not only that, Taek and DS's name are the only two that adult DS didnt read out to the audience.

the scene after that DS was angry that she missed out some parts of the movie as the guys were too loud and SW told her the answer is in the subtitles.

as if hinting us to find out Taek and DS's name ourselves as they are the answer to this couple story haha

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, moonkeeper said:

Thank you for taking your time @miri13 to translate, when is dubokki scene of DS/her Gfriends ? it's after the chocolate thing right..? the chocolate is before SW crushing?

Now, if that so.. @packmule3 is right, DS intent to give the chocolate to TK  which Adult DS said it also that he gave the chocolate to TK.. but just switching happened and end up with JB.. hihihihihi...^__^

one thing bothering me is, why DS torn only the page of what she have done for SW (poster thing) i don't know if I'm making any sense.. hahahaah..^_^

If she also give the chocolate to SW , she might torn that pages as well?

Honestly I do not think that DS intended to give the chocolate to TK.

1. When SW came over to bring DS to Taek's for ramyeon, after which DS dolled herself up as a ghost, her voiceover clearly said that was the start of DS' first love. Hence, SW was DS' first love. 

2. When we watch tvN's youtube videos, the standard opening scene showed DS putting the chocolate inside SW's bag, and not inside a pocket.

3. DS probably didn't tear off that page about the chocolate because SW's name wasn't written on it. And adult Taek knew about it because he read her diary.

4. I'd prefer to think that DS wasn't aware of her romantic feelings towards Taek at the beginning of the drama. Otherwise, that would make her an easy girl who went around liking other people and testing waters despite knowing who she really loved. 

But @packmule3's chocolate theory is interesting and hard to ignore because of all the similarities between the two incidents. My take on this is that, just like how DS gave SW chocolate, TK was indirectly giving DS chocolate with the help of DR.

As we all know, DR played a vital role in TK-DS. In ep 14, he gave DS relationship advice and even hinted that Taek liked her. In ep 17, his garlicky endeavor gave TK-DS the opportunity of a romantic ephiphany. And later, when the time jump happened, DR's doll was placed in-between Taek and DS. We'd probably have to thank DR too, for exposing Taek to adult movies and educating him on those very important life skills. DR was their matchmaker; the hyphen in TK-DS.

• Like 20

Sorry I couldn't translate more.  Although I don't enjoy clue hunting like you guys and disagree with some of their logic, and tone, of those posts, I am happy to help out friends in this room that welcomed courteous discourse.

I actually think the chocolate was for SunWoo and DS was faking it in the future to save Taek's pride. I don't ascribe to the view that everything had to point to Taek and that was the writer's intent.  I think one important aspect of this show was about DukSun's growth through her youth and young adulthood.  It was perfectly fine for her to have crush, and in fact necessary for her to learn who she was and how she loves. She poured her thoughts and process into her diary. She may have done so for JH too but we don't see it. None of that takes away from her love of Taek. 

I think it is clear that Taek realized DukSun liked SW at some point by hitting SW after reading some part of the diary entry. I think DukSun tore that page because it clearly says his name and shows the depth of her despair at the time. I did something similar: I should have just burned the entire diary and instead tore only a few pages only to have my hubby figure out that his former best friend had liked me.  Ugh.  Tangent.

I guess my point is not everything needs to tie to Taek and it would not minimize one iota DukSun's love for Taek, and vise versa.

• Like 21

I keep listen to the "Miracle" song by Kim Dong Ryul and Lee So Eun, repeat it so many times. I love this song very much, reminds me of the beautiful love of Reply Series OTP (I was Chilbongie, but I respect Trash Oppa very much).

A confirmation song, isn't it? And I feel the taste of "A Whole New World" song in this song. What a beautiful song!

• Like 7

I don't think DS meant to give Taek the chocolate either.  Taek and DS' relationship was such that if she had wanted to give him chocolate, she would have just given it to him.  No need to hide it. You can see that she brings him food/snacks on more than one occasion without anyone telling her to.   I also agree that not everything has to point towards Taek.  I do think her crush on SW and JH are important for her growth as a person. 

Regarding what DS said, I think she just didn't want him to be jealous. :sweatingbullets:

• Like 16

2 hours ago, moonkeeper said:

Now, if that so.. @packmule3 might right, DS intent to give the chocolate to TK  which Adult DS said it also that he gave the chocolate to TK.. but just switching happened and end up with JB.. hihihihihi...^__^

one thing bothering me is, why DS torn only the page of what she have done for SW (poster thing)If she also give the chocolate to SW , she might torn that pages as well? i don't know if I'm making any sense.. hahahaah..^_^

DS participate as the picket girl only for the opening of the Olympic which was on the 17th of September 1988, while the crushing began while she was still rehearsing for the event. Remember SW's concerned note for DS for her rehearsal was one reason her gfs assured her SW was in love with her? She gave the chocolate on the 20th September 1988 as recorded in  Kim sajang's handycam. Since older DS herself claim SW was her first love, I'm sure she wudnt have ever give chocolate secretly to anyone before SW because there's no point to it. We also see along the way while crushing on SW, DS secretly leaves candy for him at his study room. There's no trolling here because at the time BR hasn't seen SW as a man yet,  plus she has a college bf.

Actually the chocolate was clear by ep 6, hubby wasn't lying or forgetten abt it, it was DS who lied. By now we can see both DS & TK can lie pretty well, when situation needs them too.

Also when she wrote in her diary abt giving someone chocolate secretly,  I believe she didn't mentioned name, since BR never knew it. No matter how bitchhy she was, she has her own principle & I can't believe she wud date SW if she knows it'll hurt DS.

She torn the page because in that page she wrote she was confessing her love to SW tru her postcard to LSM radio show. Even she herself shivers while reading it again. I think she mentioned 3 main points, SW'name, her confession too him tru LSM radio programme & on the 1st snow, she find out SW like BR instead.  Since it was just a piece of paper perhaps that's why hubby seems not to realize DS was rejected by SW on the same 1st snow he asked DS out for a movie date...lol

Talkk abt lying, to me the most hilarious scene is ep 19 scene where SW barged in into TK's room blabbering on his reconciliation with Bora Nuna while TK trying to signal him to stop but he didn't catch on until he has blurted everything in one breath & noticing TK weird expression. And when he turned around, to his horror,  there's TweedleDum & TweedleDee gaping at his, digesting what they just heard.  As if not enough JH call in at that moment. Talk abt timing. Worst,  everyone except DR knows abt SW's  first love tho JH & DS didn't know they actually dated in the past. DR who prided himself knowing everything that's going on on their street, miss the biggest news...of cos its not helping mr Pinochio trying to calm him down, saying he didn't know abt it when it was obvious SW was running to him to share his great news! LoL

Also in ep 20, is the PD still goofing with us when he put TK as the newlyweds driver? Tru out the show, they were making fun of TK's driving :P Wud SW & BR get to their flight on time? On even to the right airport? Seriously!!!! :D 

• Like 19

I wondered why Taek drove the newlyweds since DS drives him everywhere when they are together.  Should have asked her to do it.  He can sit shotgun.  

And it's been a week!  Feel weird not to have the show to watch tonight. 

• Like 16

Hello everyone~ How are you? I missed you all :)) I had a rather busy week recently but now I can rest (for now haha). But man, you guys are really daebak with all the insights and even after the drama has finished. You make me feel like it never ended (which is a good thing because huhu my heart feels empty without r88 episodes.) Thank you guys so much, let's keep showing our love for this drama and support the cast in their future projects (I can't wait! ^^)

• Like 10

7 hours ago, melissala said:

So her diary is full of SW. I seriously think it's funny her crush on Sun Woo had a more lasting impression on her than whatever she didn't have with Junghwan.  Maybe because she was so sure about Sun Woo and expecting things, where Junghwan just confused her.  Oh and now I think she probably likes nice guys who are sweet to her.  They are her type.  So that's another reason she was so into Sun Woo. 

yup i feel the time she have her 1st love with Sunwoo feel much stronger emotionally for DS..probably because he the first man she thought to like her and she invested so much emotion,hopes and being somehow 100% confidence that he actually like her back because he did keep giving signal he might like her though actually it for BR and he did treat her nicer compare to DR&JH :P though the higher the confidence the bigger you fall (somehow like the writer premonition for pro-JH she make them feel they gonna be 100% right but end up wrong she might relay the message through DS-SW arc lol)

which is why i think her anger to SW rejection last much longer since she might feel betrayed that everything is wrong and how embarrased she is...though with JH i don't think she ever feel 100% confident even aftee her friend convince her because of her failure with SW and his hot&cold confusing treatment so most of time she testing him..even she do all the effort to be with him it somehow feel more desperate because at that time she just being heartbroken from SW,all the pressure to enter college even changing name feel she losing herself but glad Taek is always there for her everytime she at low point in her life.

her reaction when she fail with JH not as extreme as her reaction with SW maybe because she have losing confidence by then and tired that nothing when right in her life..well she so angry at SW mostly because his real love is with Bora of all people and she hate keep losing to Bora and the first love she happily anticipating to be confessed in the best day of her life is ruin in blink of eyes....

that why for me if it not Taek i would support her with SW before the BR revealed...because DS seem to be happier with person who treat her sweetly...but of course im more than happy it really is Taek the Mr. Right it always been him but it the journey of DS to discover her real love through her experience with SW&JH equally important to show her that she can fall in love too and not waiting for someone to like her first...she become even more mature and 100% ready when it time for her to face and accept the true love of her life no more confusion,no more question and no more hesitation since she already know what her heart want...

sigh it first Friday without R88 the withdrawal is real

• Like 8

8 hours ago, PinkSpider03 . said:

@chengker,totally love this post! Maybe because I am somewhat like you in that I only started watching the series after 16 episodes have been aired. So after watching the episodes one after another, it was very clear that TK and DS relationship was becoming mutual (progressing) but JH-DS relationship was singular. If I had watched the episode one by one or week by week, I would think that JH would be the end game and would have gone to the other thread! 

Every episode was like a jigsaw puzzle and when we watch them separately, its hard to piece the whole puzzle. When we watch it one after another, it is easier to piece the whole picture. Maybe thats why even at ep. 16 when I thought JH could be the end game, I had a lot of hidden hopes that TK would be the one. It must be all the TK-DS scenes that were growing on me! 

I think so too! If you watch them separately, you get to have the chance to think beyond the story instead of focusing on the story alone. I'm not saying that it's better to watch it after it stopped airing though. But as for me, watching it episode after episode made me see it as a whole instead of bits and pieces. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, salz said:

yup i feel the time she have her 1st love with Sunwoo feel much stronger emotionally for DS..probably because he the first man she thought to like her and she invested so much emotion,hopes and being somehow 100% confidence that he actually like her back because he did keep giving signal he might like her though actually it for BR and he did treat her nicer compare to DR&JH :P though the higher the confidence the bigger you fall (somehow like the writer premonition for pro-JH she make them feel they gonna be 100% right but end up wrong she might relay the message through DS-SW arc lol)

which is why i think her anger to SW rejection last much longer since she might feel betrayed that everything is wrong and how embarrased she is...though with JH i don't think she ever feel 100% confident even aftee her friend convince her because of her failure with SW and his hot&cold confusing treatment so most of time she testing him..even she do all the effort to be with him it somehow feel more desperate because at that time she just being heartbroken from SW,all the pressure to enter college even changing name feel she losing herself but glad Taek is always there for her everytime she at low point in her life.

her reaction when she fail with JH not as extreme as her reaction with SW maybe because she have losing confidence by then and tired that nothing when right in her life..well she so angry at SW mostly because his real love is with Bora of all people and she hate keep losing to Bora and the first love she happily anticipating to be confessed in the best day of her life is ruin in blink of eyes....

that why for me if it not Taek i would support her with SW before the BR revealed...because DS seem to be happier with person who treat her sweetly...but of course im more than happy it really is Taek the Mr. Right it always been him but it the journey of DS to discover her real love through her experience with SW&JH equally important to show her that she can fall in love too and not waiting for someone to like her first...she become even more mature and 100% ready when it time for her to face and accept the true love of her life no more confusion,no more question and no more hesitation since she already know what her heart want...

sigh it first Friday without R88 the withdrawal is real

I like your exchanges of thoughts on this matter. I have similar thoughts about the comparison between SW and JH as DS's crushes. I thought it was really interesting that a lot more was revealed about DS as a character when she liked SW. I agree that her heartbreak for SW seemed like a bigger impact--at least on how we were shown. She shed tears, got mad at SW for days whereas she simply got mad at JH for the shirt. In an alternate universe where BR and TK do not exist, I would really ship DS with SW. :)

I think the part in which SW and TK practically became brothers is another reason why TK is DS's future husband. The bond SW and TK formed mirrored BR and DS's relationship-- without the hair-pulling hahaha There used to be a theory that JJ would be TK's future wife since he's based on the real Baduk legend who married a much younger lady. I thought this theory was cute although I really wanted DS to be TK's wife. But when that theory was debunked because of SW's mom and TK's dad's relationship blossomed-- I gained more confidence that TK would be endgame. :)

• Like 4

i finally got around to watch episode 0 and ohhhh myyyy!! why didnt i watch this earlier?
just some fun parts to share, please read with a grain of salt :)

We find out that Taek is also a big fanboy of Lee Mi Yeon!
he was totally speechless and mesmerised by her when they were watching the ad together

ckO3A0.jpgY6J46u.jpgFIAZzJ.jpg

he was able to guess the number of bullet holes on Chow Yun Fat's jacket lol
might be stretching it a little for the fun (but baduk players have good memory and are very good with counting stones) 

ZCEOMe.jpg

Taek is introduced last looking like this heh
although his part is the shortest, but i know that baduk players are very interesting.

lWL5U0.jpg

one of my very first few mangas is actually a baduk manga lol called Hikaru No Go (Go is baduk in japanese) and it introduced me to this world of Go and their rules and interesting mindset of Go players.
so i was really happy when Misaeng came out, but they didnt really make full use of baduk in that drama.
im glad AM1988 writer didnt waste such a good character.
perhaps it's lucky i didnt watch ep0 before the drama started, i would have been bias and be all Taekie haha.

as to whether Taek is the writer's intent, it is up to each viewer to interpret.
(i still believe he is; or even if he is not the husband, they are going to do something fantastic with this character)
you have Taek being the special one out of the gang, that great 'i miss my mum everyday' scene and childhood flashback scene. The writer had me there, i love underdogs.

alright it's back to more rewatching.
this time round i shall pay more attention to the clues since i didnt care about them during my first watch.

• Like 24