[Drama 2015] Awl 송곳

Go Seung Ji

Stayed up all night to watch episode 2 and Talk To You right after that (It's 5 am) .  I'm going to sleep for a bit and if no one has added a synopsis, I'll do it when I get up.

@nearsea, @TheaN, and everyone else (including lurkers, please)  - I encourage everyone to follow the Viki Chanell, and submit title request forms. There is still hope that Viki might get the license, even a bit late.  It has happened before, with several drama.

https://www.viki.com/tv/28335c-awl

https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

JTBC ‘Awl’ premieres with strong message

JTBC drama “Awl” aired its first episode Saturday, introducing real life issues in the labor market almost as if to accuse society by portraying the relationship between employer and employee at a large supermarket chain.

In the opening episodes, store chief Lee Soo-in (Ji Hyun-woo) is asked to reduce staff numbers using every possible means available. However, Lee rejects the order, sparking a conflict.

Other seemingly “unfair” treatment of laborers was depicted in the drama. Goo Go-Shin (Ahn Nae-sang), who often stands up against injustice, helps a young man who was not able to receive his paycheck from a restaurant he works at because he broke the store’s motorbike. Go-Shin referred to the Labor Standards Act, saying that the owner of the restaurant would have to pay 7 million won for the violation of the law.

Based on a popular webtoon, “Song Got,” “Awl” delves into the long-standing problem of labor-management relations.

The synopsis of the drama identifies the key point of the drama as a reflection on each side of the people involved ?- employers, middle managers and workers -- during labor-management conflicts.

In upcoming episodes, the drama will look at Korean society from a more cynical viewpoint, including a confrontation between an employer and employees.

“Awl” airs every Saturday and Sunday at 9:40 p.m. on JTBC.

source

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awl (PILOT)

ss66.jpg

Osen - Naver: 'Awl', The best masterpiece after 'Misaeng'

1. [+5,854, -130] Drama that genuinely criticizes the society

2. [+4,044, -115] This is really the best! And the cast is so good at acting!! The best!!

3. [+3,508, -128] I love the OST! 'Awl' is daebak

4. [+2,737, -85] This drama's really good!!!!!

5. [+422, -14] The first episode recorded over 2% in ratings ㅋㅋㅋㅋㄱ I'm impressed

6. [+443, -42] Dramas like this wouldn't normally air on JTBC... What could be their intention? Did Seon Sukhee change JTBC? This is very unusual

Naver 
7. [+3,100, -50] Ohh.. This drama is good

8. [+2,771, -72] I wish there will be more dramas like 'Awl' in the future.  Long live JTBC

9. [+2,685, -44] The mood is serious but the plot is really interesting

10. [+2,142, -37] Society is a scary place....

11. [+583, -16]  Wow!!!!!!! His line and facial expression in the last part!!!! "Try getting rid of me"!!!!! 'Awl' is looking to be daebak

12. [+487, -10] He is so similar to the webtoon character.. I never thought they could find one that would portray the character perfectly

13. [+462, -13] Ji Hyun Woo's acting is phenomenal. I'm looking forward to more of Ahn Nae Sang's scenes!! As expected from the 'Old Miss Diary' director

Nate
1. [+501, -6] The webtoon itself is also a work of art. Since this is made into the drama, I'm expecting its ripple effects to be much bigger. I hope it will bring a much needed awareness of labor issues in our society. Maintain this quality and become as successful as 'Misaeng'

2. [+469, -8] Ahn Naesang seemed as if he stepped out of the webtoon. Politician bastards, please watch this

3. [+364, -5] Goosebumps.. 'Awl' finally gets its drama adaptationㅠㅠㅠㅠ Jjang

4. [+22,  0] The drama's totally good!!! Please hit daebak~~ 'Awl' puts the kimchi-slap makjangs on public channels to shame

5. [+22, -1] Ji Hyun Woo's 100% in sync with his character

6. [+19, 0] Our society needs more dramas of this kind...It looks like it's going to be the next big hit after 'Misaeng'

source:

Episode 2 was great too.

it's sad how justice and bravery become the odd one.

my favorite part was metaphor of elephant protecting the deer. T.T

but i felt heartbroken when elephant turned out to be few rabbits and chickens.

the ending of episode 2 was awesome!

can't wait for episode 3!

i feel really heartbroken since this is based on real life. i don't know how this drama would end, but in real life, it was not a happy ending. at least person based on the main character didn't end well. so it's a bittersweet ending. since union did win. i think the main focused characters are based on the people who have gotten the not happy ending in real life.

Who is the actor playing young Lee Soo In in school? His voice and eye expressions reminds me of Yeo Jingoo. But I searched everywhere and I couldn't find who the actor is. Same with the actor who played Lee Soo In's dad, who is he? He looks like a veteran actor and familiar, like I've seen him in some movies or something but I can't remember it.

the father is Choi Moo-Sung. he is mostly a movie actor, but did appeared in few dramas. dramas such as Reply 1988, Heart to Heart, Empress Ki, and etc. 

for the young actor, he is Lee Seo-Won. he is really a new actor. he only appeared in few, so there is hardly any information on him.

The drama is based on a true story, and the original is webtoon.
Motifs of this drama. Carrefour Korea took place in 2007-2008 (now Homeplus) strike incident.

Many people has been mentioned 'Misaeng', but I think different.
'Misaeng' is a fairy tale for adults.
'Awl' is much closer to the reality of Korea workers.

EP.1

past experience of the LSI (Lee Soo In) appeared.
LSI is a model student.
Only, his house was poor and he received a home education to fight injustice.
But he received a reward.(tremendous beating.)
Eventually stopped the violence.(being bribe of his mother.)

He decided to succeed for the mother.
At the time (1980s), most popular occupations were soldiers.
At that time, the military regime. (Korea was a country of soldiers from the dictator.) So he joined the Academy.
However, there occurs another problem.

Academy boss had commanded to the cadet.(To vote for a particular candidate in the presidential election.)
cadets were trying to have a meeting to rebound accordingly.
But the Academy boss appeared in their meetings.
Meeting of the cadets will be intact, but his exit, LSI claims the injustice.
LSI had to pay a severe price again.

military officer LSI.
He found the enemy by showing the soldiers. But he did not shoot.
Fortunately, the soldier is his people. LSI found himself serious trouble.
LSI does not kill people. So he decided to leave the army.

He is joined purmi mart. However, there arises a problem again.
His boss had instructed him to lay off employees unfairly.
But we know the character of the LSI.
He rejected the command.

Real model of Lee Soo In 

28FNSEi.jpg

Kim Gyeong-wook, the head of the E-Land union

- Military Academy graduate.
- Carrefour entered in 1998
- Carrefour Middle East branch office of foreign boss collective dismissals illegal command, Strike in 2002.
- Mr. Kim joined union membership.
- 70 days after the strike, the union elected chairman.
- 2005 temporary workers joined unions, penetrated job security, etc.
- Carrefour withdrew in 2006 (6.9 billion investment -> 18.4 $ one hundred million times), Eland (Home Avenue) M & A Employment, labor unions, collective bargaining succession
- After July 10, 2007 redemption accused union leaders released by October 22 milk collection - obstruction charges a damage suit 13 billion won.
(12/02/2008 Weekly trend 802 l No. of Kim Gyeong-wook Chairman interviewed 'tens of millions of won of debt and bad credit loans obtained from credit cards, while the Eland struggle must address the growing shackles. ")
(Judgment of the Court of milk collection Reason two, four-year-old children and mothers mentioned being ill)

- November 13, 2008 Eland union - and strike an agreement concluded between Homeplus
(Dismiss the union officials (chairman Kim Gyeong-wook etc.) and destination side agreed to abandon reinstatement conditions.)
- Separated from his wife divorced premise mentioned 2008 interview (in union activities seemed careless assumptions reasons)
- Since the normal life of workers in 2008.

September 2015 MBK Partners acquired Homeplus.
the second general strike by unions in progress dialog request is denied.
(Second AWL?)

http://www.uniglobalunion.org/news/evening-rally-seoul

http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/282413.html

As Episode  focused on Lee Soo In, Episode 2 focuses on the present situation.  We learn a bit more about Goo Go Shin (Ahn Nae Sang).  He doesn't just sit in his office waiting for problems, he goes out and distributes his card everywhere offering to help.  At Fourmis Market the supervisors are getting tough on the workers.  The vegetable department crew notice that Soo In is looking down lately.

awl_ep02_caps_006_zpsy2iwamrm.jpg

http://www.xportsnews.com/jenter/?ac=article_view&entry_id=650827&_REFERER=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

In a flashback he recalls his military life and confronting issues with irregularities.  Unable to fix things, he decides to leave the military.

awl_ep02_caps_003_zpsbxk6fy2o.jpg

http://tenasia.hankyung.com/archives/735396

He joins the union, but upon meeting them, he finds out they've greatly reduced their members and their are pretty powerless now.  They've gone from 300 to 50 members.  His hopes are dashed.  In the present he sees similar situations.  He and the other supervisors is invited to lunch by a suppler who tries to give him a bribe.  He chooses to leave.

awl_ep02_caps_005_zpsk7mzilzz.jpg

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2015/10/25/2015102502371.html

The company retaliates (in a sneaky way) by disabling Soo In's computer log-in.  He misses a meeting.

awl_ep02_caps_004_zpskmjbqokm.jpg

http://www.asiae.co.kr/news/view.htm?idxno=2015102607491411366

The foreign manager, Gaston, humiliates him in front of customers and his staff.

awl_ep02_caps_002_zpswoefijy4.jpg

awl_ep02_caps_001_zpsgqrtbcjc.jpg

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=108&aid=0002469055

Big mistake!  They lit a fire in Soo In and are in for a fight.

Who is the actor playing young Lee Soo In in school? His voice and eye expressions reminds me of Yeo Jingoo. But I searched everywhere and I couldn't find who the actor is. Same with the actor who played Lee Soo In's dad, who is he? He looks like a veteran actor and familiar, like I've seen him in some movies or something but I can't remember it.

the father is Choi Moo-Sung. he is mostly a movie actor, but did appeared in few dramas. dramas such as Reply 1988, Heart to Heart, Empress Ki, and etc. 

for the young actor, he is Lee Seo-Won. he is really a new actor. he only appeared in few, so there is hardly any information on him.

Thanks for letting me know. It seems like this drama really got a stellar cast who fit their characters and make the drama more vivid. Hopefully viki or dramafever/darksmurfsub will sub this drama soon:) ohh anh your right there's literally no info on the rookie actor Lee Seo Won at all, I couldn't even find it on naver. But his eyes are very expressive and I think he left a memorable acting as young Lee Soo In. Hopefully we will see more of him later as an actor.

I have only watched episode 1..and there have been quite some interesting quotations so far.The best one could be the one coming from lee soo in..as he says how the teacher from the military was one cunning man who made him change his ambition to become one common man ...as because of his words society neither changes or any uproar occurs in the system.I do not remember the exact quote but it is a rather brilliant one.Even if soo in is one brave man who dares to speak out ...but he regrets his boldness too..and because of people like his teacher..he thinks they are his friend,even if they are not..which makes it difficult for people like them to bring any change in society.But this is all what I am assuming from the dialogue,whether the teacher was good one or bad ..I'm not sure about.

New JTBC drama talks about sorrows, struggles of irregular workers

Based on popular Web-based cartoon “Awl,” a new drama series of the same name revolves around the sorrows and struggles of today’s laborers, a profound insight into labor issues prevalent in Korean society over the last few decades.

Like a sharp-pointed awl in a pocket, the lead character, Lee Soo-in (Ji Hyun-woo) often sticks out in a crowd due to his anger at injustice. Before working at a large supermarket, he stood up to a mission to rig the ballot during his military service. Now as a senior manager at a supermarket, Lee fights a massive layoff with his colleagues. In the last episode, Lee refused to obey the order of his boss to fire all employees in his department, saying it is “illegal,” signaling the prelude for the fierce battle to come.

It is not a bloodthirsty nor palm-sweating thriller, yet it was brutal enough, surely because the story tells of a life that resembles reality for many. Despite existing laws that regulate layoffs, many irregular workers still suffer from injudicious dismissals and inhumane working conditions. The drama elaborately and cautiously depicts the distressing reality of local temporary workers who struggle against formidable odds on a daily basis.

Anticipation is high on how Lee Soo-in will defend justice with his fellow laborers. The TV drama starring Ji Hyun-woo and Ahn Nae-sang airs on Saturdays and Sundays at 9:40 p.m. on JTBC.

source

I watched the first ep. subbed last night on dramatv.

I loved it. All your comments made better sense after I watched it. I love our 2 leads already.

@lalala1234, thank you for the highlights, and thank you for Cart recommendation. Will watch it soon.

@nearsea, I too, loved that scene in the military and Soo-In's reflection on it. I thought it was brilliant; It really applies to society at large, and how/why changes occur or not/or very slowly.

I was horrified by the scenes of the teacher beating him. Is that really allowed in Korean schools?  A teacher like this will get jail time where I am.

"Awl" Kim Ga-eun-I, turns into an elegant lady

photo646815.jpg

Actress Kim Ga-eun-I from "Awl" posted a picture on her Instagram.

The picture she posted is of a cheerful and playful lady.

Netizens react positively to this picture.

Meanwhile, Kim Ga-eun-I is starring in the drama "Awl" as a worker in the labor board with Ahn Nae-sang.

source

ENG Subbed

EP.1

http://myasianfever.tv/serie/awl/season-1/episode-1-185/

EP.2

http://myasianfever.tv/serie/awl/season-1/episode-2-182/

@irilight
Student LSI
At that time, school violence is that of daily life.
Why teacher has been beaten him?
because His parents had no money (bribe) for the teacher.
Until the law changed, the teachers had received bribes.

In addition, events indicating a vote for a particular candidate was actually in the army.
Through the revelation of army officers it was introduced to the press.
author made dramatized the incident.

http://www.huffingtonpost.kr/2015/10/26/story_n_8387126.html

p.s)

Maybe 'awl' may not be able to record high ratings.
This event is incredibly uncomfortable.
But that will be a great issue. As original webtoon did.

Archived