[Drama 2015] Awl 송곳

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fourmis  which  is a  french  company  wants  to  reduce  the  workforce  and  do  some  saivng  measurees,   however aren't  they  not  bound  by  law  to pay  separation  pay?  all  countries  have labor  laws pertaining  to protecction  of  its  citizens'  .  china,  the  philippines  have  very s trict  laws  re:  its  workforce.  in  china,  you  cannot  keep  the workforce  idle  and  not  pay  them  because  their  rationale  is  that  it  is  not  their  fault  that  they  become  idle.  in  the  philippines,  you  have  pay  separation  pay  as  mandated  by  law  if you  want   to  reduce  workforce.

@lauren2b2 I think that's why their tactics are directed at getting the employees to quit on their own.  Make the work environment unbearable.  Without a union to back them up against the unfair treatment, it's grin and bear it or leave.

The baddies are also clever at getting the employees to direct their anger at Soo In, not realizing he's being targeted for protecting them.

fourmis  which  is a  french  company  wants  to  reduce  the  workforce  and  do  some  saivng  measurees,   however aren't  they  not  bound  by  law  to pay  separation  pay?  all  countries  have labor  laws pertaining  to protecction  of  its  citizens'  .  china,  the  philippines  have  very s trict  laws  re:  its  workforce.  in  china,  you  cannot  keep  the workforce  idle  and  not  pay  them  because  their  rationale  is  that  it  is  not  their  fault  that  they  become  idle.  in  the  philippines,  you  have  pay  separation  pay  as  mandated  by  law  if you  want   to  reduce  workforce.

you're right.
all  countries  have labor  laws pertaining  to protecction  of  its  citizens'. 
they also bound  by  law  to pay  separation  pay.
But, thing you should know, they will give separation pay to retirees.
And part time workers will be hired in their place.
pay of part time workers is very low. and they are not liable to dismissal at any time.

As a matter of conclusion, fourmis do not reduce the workforce. the cost also will be reduced.

fourmis will get a lot of benefits.
It is expedient to use a weak labor laws of Korea.

Finally, Yesung focused episode! >_<

i'm glad so many knetizens were happy with his acting. i was worried that people might not like his acting T^T

I really love his character, Joon-Chul. i think he's really relatable character. so i'm happy to see Joon-Chul standing up for himself even if he sometimes can't help himself but to be scared. and also i'm glad that he has people who he can trust and rely on.

when he was going into the meeting, he said he's fine to Soo-In, but when he went in, his face changed from confidence to scared. but when they spoke informally at Joon-Chul, he still stood up for himself by saying "don't talk to me informally" 

i was so proud of him T^T be strong, Joon-Chul!

[Spoilers] Awl

Osen- Naver: 'Awl', A full-scale war between Ji Hyun Woo and the company, 'Protest begins'

1. [+3,353, -53] This is the type of drama that I want my kids to watch. Better than makjangs

2. [+2,945, -51] This is a good drama... but I can't drop my birth secret and affair dramas too easily ㅠㅠ

3. [+779, -19] Yesung's quite good. He's like Fourmis Mart's young man. I'm a non-fan but I think he's doing a great job ㅋㅋ This drama has really good actors

4. [+731, -8] The whole nation needs to watch this drama

5. [+650, -10] It's just acting but I wanna smack the section chief with the glasses

6. [+626, -17] Yesung's really good at acting

7. [+586, -12] Yesung's acting was daebak in this episode. I thought he and Park Shi Hwan were only responsible for the cute scenes but their characters are more profound than that. I never knew he was this good

8. [+560, -3] Ah.... This drama tugs at my heartstrings

Naver
1. [+302, -9] I'm an avid fan of Misaeng but this one is better, terrifying and more realistic

2. [+281, -10] I'm hooked. It feels like I'm sharing the characters' anger and hardships. I'm guessing the higher-ups are intentionally not putting articles on Naver's homepage because the drama makes them uncomfortable . Everyone should watch this!!!

3. [+248, -5] This will be Ji Hyun Woo's most well-known work

4. [+76, -3] Although the mood is somber, everyone's acting is topnotch plus there are funny scenes in between. This is Yesung's first drama and I thought he was great

5. [+49, 0] The other article has nearly a thousand comments but it's not on Naver's homepage.

6. [+45, 0] When the drama's lineup was announced, I was worried for everyone except for Ahn Naesang. Ji Hyun Woo stepped out of the manhwa, Hyun Woo's likeable and the singers did well in their first drama roles ㅜㅠ

tv Report - Naver: 'Awl' Yesung revolts against section chief Heo 

1. [+99, -2] Yesung's good at acting

2. [+80, -3] Yesung's better at acting than Park Shi Hwan....

3. [+71, -1] Yesung has the acting chops. Bashers, come at me

4. [+50, 0] Ah crazy. How do I wait until next week?

5. [+31, 0] I mistook him for a rookie actor that looks like Yesung

dh.jpg

Credit : http://kkuljaem.blogspot.ca/2015/11/spoilers-awl.html

I have yet to watch this weekend's episodes. Will catch up today.

Hyun Woo Has Nothing But Praise for Yesung and Park Si Hwan’s Acting in “Awl”

Hyun Woo Has Nothing But Praise for Yesung and Park Si Hwan’s Acting in “Awl”

Actor Hyun Woo has nothing but good things to say about his co-stars from theJTBC drama “Awl,” Super Junior‘s Yesung and singer Park Si Hwan!

Hyun Woo plays one of the three “Flower Boys of Fourmis Mart” alongside Yesung and Park Si Hwan, who both are making their drama debuts through “Awl.” In an interview with OSEN, Hyun Woo praises his co-stars, saying that they prepared diligently and are actively engaged in the filming process.

“They’re all working very hard,” he said. “Since there’s not a single sloppy aspect about [their acting] I think that people will watch it and find it a very believable and well-made drama.”

Hyun Woo also shared his thoughts on the production of “Awl,” since it takes place in the mid 2000s. “The PDs thought that the synchronization was the most important. They paid special attention to the hairstyles, the clothes that they wore, and the kind of activities they would have done 10 years ago.” The PD had stated at the production press conference that the drama would follow the webcomic that it is based on exactly, as the goal of the drama is to portray the same emotions as the original work.

Meanwhile, “Awl” is about wage workers at a large chain grocery store who are unfairly laid off or fired. The main character, played by Ji Hyun Woo, then recruits the aid of a labor union to fight back against the upper management of the grocery. “Awl” airs Saturdays and Sundays at 9:40 p.m. KST. Check out the preview for episode five below!

Source

This drama is very realistic and you can see the high level of discourse.
penetrates the human psychology.
'Awl' is a hidden gem of the 2015 kdrama.
Ji Hyun Woo has completely dominated this show.
He is 100% live Lee Soo In.
Ahn Nae Sang, Kim Hee Won  also shows the appearance of the veteran actor.

'Awl' before aired, There was no drama dealing professionally with respect to labor unions in Korea. 
original webtoon is great.

'Awl' and 'Misaeng' is a completely different drama.

'Misaeng' is the story of the suffering office workers to comply with the unreasonable system.
'Awl' has a cynical perspective on human beings and society.
They are stories that create the labor unions and companies struggle to resist the unreasonable system of the company.

Hello fellow Awl fans. Anyone happens to know how we're doing in terms of ratings? I'm very curious. 

I found a paper that detailed the protest. I suppose it qualifies as a spoiler in some ways but it is very interesting to read. 

Eland Workers Union, 2007-2009: 510 days 

The Eland Workers Union was one of the first unions to accept irregularly-employed workers as union members in 2000. The union, which was first established in 1993, waged a 265 day long strike in 2000 demanding the improvement of working conditions for temporary workers. The Eland Group, which had a notorious anti-union stance, purchased the New Core Outlet in 2003 and the Carrefour store in 2006. In response to anticipated dismissals associated with the 2006 Irregular Employment Protection Act, the E-Land Union, which was one of KCTU’s first unions to organize irregular workers, prepared to launch of strike of approximately 180 dismissed retail and supermarket cashiers and sales assistants working in E-Land stores in July 2007. The majority of E-land workers were women over the age of 30 earning approximately 800,000 won a month, well under the average monthly wage. Although workers were technically hired under short-term contracts, most workers had worked continuously for years with little indication that 
the terms of their employment were finite. Many workers did not regard the company’s contracts with much credibility given that supervisors periodically asked them to use their sister’s or friend’s name to renew their contracts so they could get around the provision of benefits. When the management used the rationale that the end of workers’ fixed term contracts meant the termination of their employment, dismissed workers joined the union’s plans to strike. 

The main action consisted of a union occupation of E-Land’s flagship Homever store in 
the World Cup Stadium shopping complex. During the course of their 21 day occupation, union members camped out on mats next to the row of locked-down cash registers at the front of the store with colorful union banners spread across the walls. Union members prepared for the moment they would be dragged out by riot police by engaging in familiar chants to abolish irregular employment and provide direct employment. Prominent political leaders from organizations like the Korean Democratic Labour Party visited the strike site to express solidarity and support for the heroic efforts of the E-Land workers. Once the riot police ended the E-Land Union’s occupation of the Homever store, the union escalated its struggle by organizing solidarity protests at 40 different Homever retail locations. The union also called for a consumer boycott of all E-Land products, eliciting the support of 37 civic organizations and international unions like UNI, a global union for commerce workers with over 15 million members and 900 affiliate unions. The E-land workers struggle continued for the next 510 days with little sign that E-land corporation would concede to the union demands. The struggle, however, was successfully resolved after the Homever store was acquired by another corporation that had a more friendly stance towards unions and agreed to the union demands. Consequently, 174 members returned to work. 12 members from union leadership committee gave up their reinstatement. 

Interestingly, the Eland union workers struggle never engaged in a hunger strike, which
at the time of the dispute, had become a familiar tactic during protracted struggles by irregularly employed workers, including Kiryung Electronics and KTX Train Attendants. According to Lee Kyeong Oak, the Eland Union General Secretary, “The leadership decided twice to start a hunger strike, but each time the general meeting of union members voted against it. When we said that we wanted to do a hunger strike to lift the fighting spirits weakened by the long struggle, the members said, ‘why fight hungry?’ The members insisted that they have plenty of spirit left. If the union chairman goes on a hunger strike, their will will decline,’ they said. The union members will fight, so absolutely no hunger strike, they said. We will fight while eating (joyfully) to our hearts content.”

Source: http://www.irle.ucla.edu/research/documents/Korea.pdf

Hi y'all.  Welcome me! I'm gonna marathon all the episodes this w/e. Here's hoping I'll like this. JHW, he is teacher Noah in angry Mom. I luv his character there. Oh plus that Kim Hee Won too.. was in AM as well. he plays scary villain so well..

@lalala1234  "'Awl' is a hidden gem of the 2015 kdrama."

Absolutely!   Both "Awl" and "Assembly." Both deal with realistic events (Awl even based on real events), highlighting the fights and suffering of common folks and tug at our hearts.  I am so waiting for next episode, wanting to know what happened in that meeting.

@2manytears Hello, and welcome to the thread. 
Side note - Would you please PM me where you are watching " I Live in Cheongdam-dong?" Were you able to find it with subs? I have heard so many good comments about from some Korean friends; They tell me the writing is awesome.

@lalala1234 and @TheaN - thank you for the interview with Ji Hyun-Woo. I liked it a lot. It was amazing to see how much they also tried to follow the original material, even by showing us the same poses in the drama.

@Arhazivory, thank you for the background material article. Below is ratings info.

Thumbnail

To be honest, I am loving it so much, I wish there were more than 12 episodes.

@jongski   hi chingu, and welcome to the thread.  wavesmile.gif

Super Junior’s Yesung makes acting debut

Singer-actor Yesung of Super Junior made a successful debut as an actor in JTBC drama “Awl,” in the supporting role of Hwang Joon-chul, the manager for marine products’ section at a supermarket chain.

On the latest episode aired Sunday, Yesung portrayed the inner feelings of the character very thoroughly, carefully depicting his psychological status which kept changing. When Joon-chul was on the brink of getting fired because of a false accusation, he looked very insecure. When he stood before the disciplinary committee, he changed his facial expression entirely, looking very anxious.

“Yesung has been putting a lot of efforts in acting so please be very supportive of him,” an associate said.

“Awl,” depicting the rough labor-management relations, airs every Saturday and Sunday at 9:40 p.m. on JTBC.

source

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201511031529485822429_2

@irilight
Director(Kim Suk Yoon) said.
The drama ends with 12EP. Already, the script was complete.
Shooting is scheduled to end next week.

EP.1 ~ 8 
goes almost identical to the original webtoon.(original webtoon 3 part.)

EP.9~12
They were given a preview synopsis to author.
Big story is similar but will differ for details.

p.s)
The original webtoon is currently being serialized 4 parts.(total planned 5 parts)

@Arhazivory

1.Low viewer rating
(JTBC drama's average viewer rating was 1~2%.)
2.High grade
9/10 point.
3. Highly topical

vLbNlB0.jpg

Archived