[Drama 2015] Awl 송곳

Go Seung Ji

@icemaid, hello and welcome to the Awl thread. Glad you are liking the drama.    hi-hand.gif

I have only seen Ji Hyun-Woo in 2-3 drama. Angry Mom and Queen's In-Hyun's Man come to mind. I have always liked Ahn Nae-Sang. I think he is a very capable actor. For both of them - their roles in this drama are my favorites.

I thought ep. 9 was full of promise with the victory. But then we had the chilling preview.

Ep. 10 subs are out. I'll catch it over the weekend.  Smiley

Embedded image permalink

Embedded image permalink

12232759_317723545018608_887124113444944

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have watched up to ep 5. This drama is giving me the goosebumps!

I love Misaeng  and Awl is giving me some of that feeling.:) I can totally relate to Misaeng as I work in an office environment.

As Awl is based on a real life story its also tugs into our hearts. Glad I didn't miss it.

"Nothing has changed while everything has changed."  ~ Awl ep 5

Episode 10--Questions under spoiler tag. Don't read if you haven't seen it yet...:)

Spoiler

Umm...did I miss a couple of episodes?  When did Soo In get married and have a daughter--and start fighting with his in-laws?!?? Why is Goo Go Shin suddenly a basket case and wants revenge? Was this drama supposed to be 16 episodes and it was cut? Because I feel like there was a major shift in the storyline, to hurry and wrap every thing up. If this is so, I'm super bummed because the first 9 episodes were well paced and devoted a lot of time and effort into building the characters and their backgrounds and motivations. Does anyone else (all 3 of us watching) feel like this too, or am I crazy?

11 hours ago, shamrockmom said:

Episode 10--Questions under spoiler tag. Don't read if you haven't seen it yet...:)

Hide contents

Umm...did I miss a couple of episodes?  When did Soo In get married and have a daughter--and start fighting with his in-laws?!?? Why is Goo Go Shin suddenly a basket case and wants revenge? Was this drama supposed to be 16 episodes and it was cut? Because I feel like there was a major shift in the storyline, to hurry and wrap every thing up. If this is so, I'm super bummed because the first 9 episodes were well paced and devoted a lot of time and effort into building the characters and their backgrounds and motivations. Does anyone else (all 3 of us watching) feel like this too, or am I crazy?

I was talking about this at earlier.
Repeat gritty 'AWL' was originally planned to 12EP.
because original webtoon.
The original webtoon is currently being serialized 4 parts.(total planned 5 parts)

EP.1 ~ 8 
goes almost identical to the original webtoon.(original webtoon 3 part.)

EP.9~12
They were given a preview synopsis to author.
Big story is similar but will differ for details.

I think they are tried to not to damage the original webtoon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SI's married.
This was controversial among fans.
But from the beginning there is a ring in his hand.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S)
I also think that they need to 1 ~ 2EP much more.
So they add 20 minutes to the finale EP.
drama was finished well.

They showed two types of labor consultant deliberately at last.

13 hours ago, lalalala1234 said:

SI's married.
This was controversial among fans.
But from the beginning there is a ring in his hand.

Sorry to cut the post.

Wow. I went back and looked at the screencaps I did for my recaps of Episodes 2, 3, and 4 (in progress). But I never saw a ring. I will continue to look closely. It just seemed narratively weird that there was no mention of the marriage in other episodes. 

I wish there was a English translation of the webtoon. I'd love to read the original. 

2015 Dramas evaluation:

Unfortunate classic, JTBC "Awl"

photo661873.jpg

Ko Seung-hee = Can we become an "Awl"? ★★★★☆ (4 out of 5 stars)

Lee Hye-mi = If "Incomplete Life" was a fantasy, "Awl" is reality ★★★★☆ (4 out of 5 stars)

Jeong Jin-yeong = A classic that's better than the original web-toon ★★★★★ (5 out of 5 stars)

This one is an unfortunate classic. It is based on a web-toon and it has been of issue since it started making."Awl" is based on the making of the labor union and strike of the foreign market brand Carefour. Many worried about the drama dealing with such a subject but it was deemed alright because the drama dealt with the basic topic of labor issues that still continues today.

This drama could have been uncomfortable for some and for others it could have been a catharsis. The truth of the rights of laborers being stepped on was publicly revealed. "Awl" showed a code of conduct and a change in the system.

Lee Soo-in (Ji Hyeon-woo) and Koo Ko-sin (Ahn Nae-sang) poked through the heart of the system that is taken for granted. Lee Soo-in is in the center of the drama but is a third person in the issues. Repulsion was decreased by the narration, "fear and chaos occurs when something that should belong isn't there and is where it shouldn't be.'

The drama ended without 'win or lose'. There is no fantasy in this drama so it was an uneasy drama until the end. This is the reality we live in.

source

Considering the 2015 drama, there is a strange phenomenon.
The ratings and quality are usually appear similar to a certain extent.
But in 2015 the drama is somewhat different.
Average viewership ratings low as 5%, but fun and quality were higher than other TV dramas.

When actors and screenplay, and exellent director, well-made drama is born.
But this drama are, yet the average rating is usually 5%, very superior quality.
it is also well-made drama and fresh.
This dramas are susceptible or had not seen in the past, but the director went boldly pushing the material did not try well in kdrama.

Maybe the challenge because they are not familiar with this drama may be pushed out of the channel woke competition.
comfortably enjoy the other drama, but this drama has little bones and has thorns.
But this drama will be remembered again after few year.

If you missed this drama, and if you want desire something to the drama, you are watch the drama of 5%. all the time.

The average rating is 5%, but very high quality dramas(2015)

[KBS2] I Remember You
genre : Investigation, Human drama
[KBS2] Assembly
genre : Human political drama
[JTBC] Awl
genre : Labor union, Labor disputes
[SBS]The Village: Achiara's Secret
genre : Mystery, Thriller, Investigation

http://www.entermedia.co.kr/news/news_view.html?idx=5035

• 2 weeks later...

An Awl review :)

Awl ~ Review ~ Dramajjang

AwlDramajjang

“There is at least one man who will break through,
Break through the fear that there might not be another chance.
Driven by the power beyond his control,
He will break out of that thick shell of fear and inertia
And he will step into the unknown world.
A man like an awl.”

Read more here: http://dramajjang.co/2015/12/21/awl-review-dramajjang/

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, irilight said:

Thank you @Orion  !

My pleasure! I often review shows that did not really grab me, because I chose them and therefore want to see it through and do a complete job.
But "Awl" was one of those shows where I feel honored to have watched it and so very unworthy of speaking about it. I hope I did it justice though.

• 1 year later...

Dropping by just to say that I only started on 1st episode. My interest and curiosity desire for the next.

Seeing that most people prefer romance drama than other genre I sometimes go for the opposite, too much romance is killing me. 

I love the fact that the story resemble the reality we're living in.

Archived