[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is it. The last week of this amazing drama that has carved such a special place in my heart.

@Mico Ricco @rubie Thank you for faithfully sharing all the news and tidbits about Signal... really appreciate it! And @annyeonghasibnika I really appreciate your kindness in explaining and translating for us... without which we would have been utterly lost.

And thank you to everyone here who have made this thread such a wonderful, insightful place to hang out in. I love that we are able to table our discussions and different viewpoints while respecting everyone else's. Signal is one of those extremely rare dramas that has continued to exceed my expectations week after week after week, thanks to the magnificent collaborative efforts of writer KEH and PD Kim, our awesome ensemble cast and fabulous production team. And to be able to spazz and discuss it with an equally awesome group of people here is as much a rarity as it is truly a joy. So thank you all so much!

As we count down to Friday... I can hardly believe that we are drawing to an end. Am really torn right now whether to will time to go slower... or faster. Either way, I am trusting that this incredible drama will bring us hurtling towards a powerful, satisfying finish at the end. Is it Friday already? Wait, do I want it to be Friday? :crazy:

I can't sleep so I'm up moseying around and I thinking about this fab drama since it's almost at its end ---- well, season one anyways, just in case they decide to extend it to another season. It hits me.....all the comic relief is through the women, or by extension, the children, i.e. Cha's nephews. Why is that? PHY and LJH are the totally the straight men.

This struck me as profoundly fascinating in light of the recent discussion of women's roles in society as a whole. Especially since the comic relief is by means of Cha's "oh so pink"  (cr @liddi) and over-the-top mother. or the younger Cha's bumbling response to the men around her, especially her over-the-top emotional response to a badly injured LJH.

hmmmmmmmm....."over-the-top" female response = comedic relief .... hmmmmmmmmm

eh, screw it. 

40 minutes ago, Ginaaaa said:

I can't sleep so I'm up moseying around and I thinking about this fab drama since it's almost at its end ---- well, season one anyways, just in case they decide to extend it to another season. It hits me.....all the comic relief is through the women, or by extension, the children, i.e. Cha's nephews. Why is that? PHY and LJH are the totally the straight men.

@Ginaaaa Thanks for replying so concisely the last time re. biology and sociology. It was such a fascinating chat!

I just want to tell you that I'm preparing a post re. the three main characters' bedrooms using sociology. Usually psychology (snooping in psychology) is the key, but I want to try out something different using my field (sociology). :D

Yonhap News Agency

March 10, 2016

Drama 'Signal' to reveal conspiracy behind brother's death

By Park Sojung

SEOUL, March 10 (Yonhap) -- The local TV drama "Signal," which concludes this weekend, is set to unravel the mysterious death of protagonist Park Hae-young's brother.

The time-travel epic has been another addition to tvN's growing arsenal against terrestrial networks. The show starring actor Lee Je-hoon and actress Kim Hye-soo broke 10-percent viewership, which is considered meaningful for cable shows, on its 11th episode.

In "Signal," criminal profiler Park (Lee) and detective Lee Jae-han (Cho Jin-woong), who lives in the past, realize they are connected by the cold cases they are trying to solve together through walkie-talkie communication.

Characters in tvN drama "Signal." (Yonhap)

Characters in tvN drama "Signal." (Yonhap)

The final few episodes have focused on the gang rape of a high school girl in the fictional city of Inju, for which Park's brother, Sun-woo, is wrongfully accused.

Sun-woo serves his "due" at a youth facility center, and upon his release in 1999, tries to contact Lee to hand over a crucial piece of evidence that would exonerate him and incriminate the real culprit, who is assumed to be the son of a cement factory owner.

Park, meanwhile, remembers that Sun-woo was found dead by his younger self in an apparent suicide that same day.

He had believed all along that his brother killed himself, but begins to realize that he may have been poisoned. In a critical walkie-talkie conversation, Park asks Lee to save his brother.

The last two episodes will tell whether they succeed and present the truth behind the alleged police conspiracy which Park and Lee believe caused Sun-woo's death.

It also remains to be seen whether Lee, who Park knows to have died before 2015, changes his destiny and survives until the present.

The penultimate episode airs at 11 p.m. Friday, with the finale starting at 11 p.m. Saturday.

sojungpark@yna.co.kr

@Ginaaaa Ah... actually I don't believe there is a bias. Comedic relief comes from all genders and ages, and is not specific to the ladies. Case in point being PHY running helter skelter away after discovering SHJ's body in the manhole, LJH's awkward and bumbling self, KGC's consistent harping on the Oh Daeyang case, his hilarious reenactment in the diner of the HSK-SDH's dialogue, the ongoing bickering between him and forensic analyst Jung, particularly to do with caffeine :P LJH and PHY, understandably continue to be more and more serious as time went on, in keeping with the theme of the drama and their very personal involvement in each case. Either way, I am grateful for such breathers as and when we get them, in an otherwise very dark and increasingly emotionally draining drama.

Signal: Foresight, Hindsight

We are in the final stretch of Signal. And shucks, I am already beginning to feel the onset of withdrawal symptoms from this excellent show. The last 4-5eps from Signaldevote themselves entirely to the case(s) that link our main characters — that of the Inju gang rape case, Sun-woo/ Jae-han’s murders and finally, the big ol’ corruption/conspiracy in the police force. What I didn’t expect though was how Signalmanages to link not juz the narratives together, but actually string up our main characters.

1. Foresight

signal36

Read more on The Cat that Watches TV

@yonaomi123

I think Ahn Chi-Soo deserves to be locked up with the others because he killed another person. He took a oath to serve and protect he should know right from wrong. I understand that his child was sick but that shouldn't be a excuse to kill/harm someone else. Even if I were dying I would never hope that anyone would harm anyone for my sake. I hold people that are officers/service members/doctors in high regard (my father was a AF pilot and there have been officers in my family as well) . Therefore, when someone can do harm to a fellow officer/service member it's unforgivable to me. And because he killed an innocent and moral person like LJH it makes my blood boil.

And I think the reason Kim Bum-Joo became crooked was because he knew he couldn't beat the ones in power so he thought he might as well join them and climb the ladder to the top. That or he is money hungry he prolly thought since he did their dirty work they will back him to the end. However, the congressman is ruthless and just used and discarded him. That's why when Jang Young-Chul called him a dog he had that "oh snap I should have made a backup of the evidence just in case they screw me over" look. But when he realized that it was too late.

Also, I have to give props to the great acting from Jang Young-Chul (Son Hyun-Joo) and Kim Bum-Joo (Jang Hyun-sung). Son Hyun-Joo was the main character in my all time fav kdrama The Chaser. :wub: This is my first time seeing him as a evil person (hahaha) and he is doing a good job at it. He makes my skin crawl in this drama but in the other drama I thought he was a saint. And as for Jang Hyun-sung IRL he is such a great father (The Return of Superman KBS2, 2013-2014) his children are so well brought up I really admire him he is a great role model. :)

1 hour ago, BaiZiHua said:

@yonaomi123

I think Ahn Chi-Soo deserves to be locked up with the others because he killed another person. He took a oath to serve and protect he should know right from wrong. I understand that his child was sick but that shouldn't be a excuse to kill/harm someone else. Even if I were dying I would never hope that anyone would harm anyone for my sake. I hold people that are officers/service members/doctors in high regard (my father was a AF pilot and there have been officers in my family as well) . Therefore, when someone can do harm to a fellow officer/service member it's unforgivable to me. And because he killed an innocent and moral person like LJH it makes my blood boil.

And I think the reason Kim Bum-Joo became crooked was because he knew he couldn't beat the ones in power so he thought he might as well join them and climb the ladder to the top. That or he is money hungry he prolly thought since he did their dirty work they will back him to the end. However, the congressman is ruthless and just used and discarded him. That's why when Jang Young-Chul called him a dog he had that "oh snap I should have made a backup of the evidence just in case they screw me over" look. But when he realized that it was too late.

Also, I have to give props to the great acting from Jang Young-Chul (Son Hyun-Joo) and Kim Bum-Joo (Jang Hyun-sung). Son Hyun-Joo was the main character in my all time fav kdrama The Chaser. :wub: This is my first time seeing him as a evil person (hahaha) and he is doing a good job at it. He makes my skin crawl in this drama but in the other drama I thought he was a saint. And as for Jang Hyun-sung IRL he is such a great father (The Return of Superman KBS2, 2013-2014) his children are so well brought up I really admire him he is a great role model. :)

Re: Kim BumJoo becoming a corrupt cop.  I think I'm just having a case of wishful thinking regarding his character.  All the rest of the players in this story have such rich backstory, it almost seems like he, and Congressman Jang, are getting the short end of the stick by having them play these almost one dimensional "evillll" roles.  (Not that I'm not liking it, unlike many a Kdrama, these villians are actually kind of frightening).

As for Ahn ChiSoo... IRL, I would whole-heartedly want him behind bars for what he did.  In the Signal universe, I want the same.  However, I think both he and Kim BumJoo's storylines would be that much more enhanced by delving into the why's of Ahn ChiSoo becoming a murderer and a lackey.  He certainly never struck me as being a willing "hunting dog" in any of their scenes together, which is why I said that Ahn ChiSoo may deserve to be on a less annoying circle of hell compared to all the other baddies in the drama.

Basically Signal has turned me into a spoiled child always wanting more, more, more! :D

@

yonaomi123

I honestly like 99% think he did it to get money to save his child. That's why when he child died he said to hell with it and resigned from his job. I think he regretted what he did and that's why before he died he tried to make it right. And you're right out of all the baddies he isn't as bad as the others devils since he tried to tell the truth in the end. I'm actually sad this drama is ending soon it's too bad it wasn't like 30 eps or more. I really like the way this drama was written and produced. I appreciate that there wasn't eps with a bunch no nonsense fillers, bad love lines or draggy scenes etc. I hope that in the end you and all of us on this thread get a satisfying ending to this drama.:)

Archived