[Drama 2016] Signal 시그널

larus

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone. I'm new to this thread (and soompi tbh i just created this acc over half an hr ago) but I'm a huge fan of this show and wanted to get involved in this awesome thread. 

A lot of you here are really perceptive and informative about this show so I just wanted to ask if someone could help me understand a part of the plot that I can't seem to figure out. It has to do with HY and JH's apparent connection over the 1999 gang rape case. My post is kind of long so I'll apologise in advance for the wordiness.

In the earlier episodes we learned that when Section Chief Ahn was looking for connections between HY and JH, he told Director Kim ( and later on HY) that he couldn't find any. Now ep 9 showed that HY & JH will be working on it together or may already have worked on it (if we take the time loop into account). We've also learned that JH and Ahn met because they were both on the investigation team for the rape case. Knowing all this, I don't get how Ahn didn't catch on to HY being connected to JH via the rape case. After all, HY's elder brother was one of the convicted students. 

Does this mean that prior to getting shot in the first ep, JH never worked on the rape case? But if he didn't then how else did JH and Ahn ever get acquainted? Given Ahn's role in JH's disappearance and invested confusion over why HY is investigating JH's past, I'm at a loss for why he hasn't seen this link. Is it an oversight on the Chief’s part or did he lie or am I missing something? 

I'm really, really confused about this :worried:.

36 minutes ago, xiennora said:

Hi everyone. I'm new to this thread (and soompi tbh i just created this acc over half an hr ago) but I'm a huge fan of this show and wanted to get involved in this awesome thread. 

A lot of you here are really perceptive and informative about this show so I just wanted to ask if someone could help me understand a part of the plot that I can't seem to figure out. It has to do with HY and JH's apparent connection over the 1999 gang rape case. My post is kind of long so I'll apologise in advance for the wordiness.

In the earlier episodes we learned that when Section Chief Ahn was looking for connections between HY and JH, he told Director Kim ( and later on HY) that he couldn't find any. Now ep 9 showed that HY & JH will be working on it together or may already have worked on it (if we take the time loop into account). We've also learned that JH and Ahn met because they were both on the investigation team for the rape case. Knowing all this, I don't get how Ahn didn't catch on to HY being connected to JH via the rape case. After all, HY's elder brother was one of the convicted students. 

Does this mean that prior to getting shot in the first ep, JH never worked on the rape case? But if he didn't then how else did JH and Ahn ever get acquainted? Given Ahn's role in JH's disappearance and invested confusion over why HY is investigating JH's past, I'm at a loss for why he hasn't seen this link. Is it an oversight on the Chief’s part or did he lie or am I missing something? 

I'm really, really confused about this :worried:.

First of all, welcome to forum soompi and to this thread!! cheetahsmileys

Exactly. To me, the past has changed, since PHY asked him to investigate his brother's case. I believe, PHY didn't mention his brother directly, but asked to investigate the gang rape.

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

First of all, welcome to forum soompi and to this thread!! cheetahsmileys

Thank you for the welcoming greetings! :D^_^

5 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

I believe, PHY didn't mention his brother directly, but asked to investigate the gang rape.

You're probably right about PHY not mentioning his brother directly to LJH, but Chief Ahn should have probably run into the knowledge that PHY's brother was involved in a case linked to LJH right? The fact had been prominent enough for the Police Academy to influence their decision to accept PHY; even CSH ran into this truth on her own. How in the world did Chief Ahn not learn this when he was investigating PHY?

I should probably just sit on this and see if things get cleared up later episodes.

About Ahn knowing HY's connection to Inju case is revealed in episode 11.  We also discover the potential reason Ahn became Kim's lackey.  If I knew how to use spoiler, I would.

this series is awesome.  I am glad the ratings are increasing.  It is not for all so 10% is awesome.  I almose had a heart attack watching episode 11.  So good.  

1 hour ago, xiennora said:

.... Chief Ahn should have probably run into the knowledge that PHY's brother was involved in a case linked to LJH right? The fact had been prominent enough for the Police Academy to influence their decision to accept PHY; even CSH ran into this truth on her own. How in the world did Chief Ahn not learn this when he was investigating PHY?...

Ahn did not do a good job checking on PHY's background but CSH was able to fish out PHY brother's "involvement" in the high school girl rape case by herself.  From episode 9 :-

Iy9eeIt.gif

41 minutes ago, Mico Ricco said:

Ahn did not do a good job checking on PHY's background but CSH was able to fish out PHY brother's "involvement" in the high school girl rape case by herself.

ep 11 tells us that Ahn already knew but just acted like he didn't, so he didn't tell KBS. but it turns out KBS figured it by himself.

Just watched episode 11 and finally got my answer on this point!

Warning: spoiler below if you haven't seen the episode yet

Spoiler

Chief Ahn knew the connection from the start but chose not to report it to Director Kim because the inevitable death of his sick daughter meant he no longer needed to be Director's Kim's hound to afford her bills....good but so sad at the same time :cry:

Now I only have to to have to patiently wait for 20+ more hours until the episode 12 is out with subtitles to find out what's really going on with the gang rape case....

tumblr_mwycvfEluu1rzik3go1_250.gif

I can do this....

201602262139779857_56d0499f1aa64_99_2016

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. In dictum, turpis vel luctus tristique, leo nibh vestibulum nunc, at placerat nibh dolor sit amet mi.

Article: 'Signal' Lee Je Hoon x Jo Jin Woong, will they solve the case in the face of huge authority?

Source: OSEN via Naver

1. [+12,156, -57] Today's episode was based off of a Miryang sex assault case that happened 12 years ago. At the time, dozens raped a junior high school female and filmed it on video. When the case was brought to light, the victim was accidentally leaked to the public during the process of investigation and was not protected. She was then forced to transfer schools to get away from it all and once investigations were opened up again, parents of the students who raped her found her school again and demanded that she reach a compromise with them. Eventually, her alcoholic father settled for a mere 50 million won. The rapists then went around bragging about what happened as if they were heros and continue to live without any problems to this day. I hope that this broadcast shows this horrific piece of our past to everyone.

2. [+8,939, -50] The Miryang rapists are still out there living normal lives, I really hope that the case is reopened for investigation and they're all sent to jail

3. [+5,451, -54] How can we stand the next episode knowing that Park Hae Young hyung's going to be so upset and the rapists will be out there laughing and free..

4. [+2,050, -16] The policewoman who supported the rapists in real life was even promoted ㅋㅋㅋ the real life story of this case is worse than the drama

5. [+1,990, -17] The line in the drama by the assailant's mother "A girl approached them and seduced them, what man wouldn't fall for it?" How can they have any shame to say that?

6. [+1,776, -11] The line by the assailant's mother was an actual line said in real life by the mother of the rapist. Those rapists are probably old now, I wonder what they're doing with their lives?

-

Source: Nate

1. [+931, -6] That line in the drama "A girl approached them and seduced them, what man wouldn't fall for it?" was an actual line said by the rapist's parents in the Miryang rape scandal...

2. [+819, -2] This episode reminded me of the Miryang scandal... those ba$tards

3. [+758, -2] The parents of the assailant horrified me... exactly the same as what happened with the Miryang scandal.

4. [+81, -0] Just read the wiki page for the Miryang scandal... apparently they held a survey in Miryang and 66% of the people said they thought it was the victim's fault.. this is so wrong.

5. [+65, -0] The real life father of the victim depicted in the drama today was an alcoholic who accepted the settlement fee and forced his daughter who was in rehab at the time to write up a letter of settlement. Her father was just as trash as the rest of them.

CR: Netizenbuzz

I'm just seating on horrified silence as I read what I found on Wikipedia (LINK)

@MissSquint Thank you for sharing the case from which the Injoo gang rape case is based... I am in utter shock at the horrific details of the case - what a gross miscarriage of justice, when victims are further victimised by the authorities which should have protected them and made sure the guilty parties paid for their heinous crimes. Now more than ever, I applaud KEH and PD Kim for bringing these cases to light again through this drama... because for sure, such terrible crimes should never be forgotten over time.

What's the deal with the rookie police (in 2015)?? He's just there to give info or is/will be something else? It's not the first time he appears...

Spoiler

tumblr_o36s5oZAqT1robox0o2_540.jpg

tumblr_o36s5oZAqT1robox0o1_540.jpg

I don't know... at this point, I suspect from all :ph34r:. This series it's SO GOOD, I don't want it to end :(.

By the way, does anyone know what LJH figured out from the pic PSW sent him? The subtitles didn't point to anything in particular but I feel like I've missed something.

I speculated that the 'person' 인간 (ingan) word LJH said out loud from the letter posted on the school website prompted him to circle those two characters on the school photo. But what's written in between those photos is just 주고등학교학생회 (which literally means 'state high school student'). My Korean is non-existent so I have no clue what it would mean beyond what google translate tells me—

Okay wait, I think I just figured it out lol. An explanation just struck me the moment I finished typing that paragraph. In the letter it says there was one person and then there were seven right? Meaning the 'one' person before the 'seven' is the one that instigated the other people to follow suit in this horrible crime. When LJH literally circles the characters for 'person'/ingan (aka 인간) on the photo, the words that remain literally say 'state high school student' (주고등학교학생회). And if the Congressman is getting KBS involved in the investigation, it must imply he's trying to cover up for a son of a higher up (if not his own). And if that's the case then the word 'ju' 주 (which google translate is telling me means 'state/provice/county') is referring to a government official of some sort, then what LJH probably realised was that the instigator of the gang rape was a son of an official.

My Korean is nonexistent so I could be waaaaaaaay off about this. Ignore everything if I am :sweatingbullets:

26 minutes ago, cafe99 said:

What's the deal with the rookie police (in 2015)?? He's just there to give info or is/will be something else? It's not the first time he appears...

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_o36s5oZAqT1robox0o2_540.jpg

tumblr_o36s5oZAqT1robox0o1_540.jpg

I don't know... at this point, I suspect from all :ph34r:. This series it's SO GOOD, I don't want it to end :(.

Yeah he's been really suspicious for some time now, he could be KBJ's informant or the complete opposite O_o

28 minutes ago, xiennora said:

By the way, does anyone know what LJH figured out from the pic PSW sent him? The subtitles didn't point to anything in particular but I feel like I've missed something.

The writing about school girl gang rape was uploaded on school website by anonymous. 

in that writing, there was word that said "7 human(s)" (korean words sometimes do not use plural, so the actual word was "human" "인간")

the picture was students of School Student Government. the two letters that LJH has circled from that picture form a word "human" "인간"

and you can see that the picture has exactly 7 students.

By the way, it's possible that the one who sent that picture could be PSW, BUT it also could be someone else. for example, in the hospital scene, there was another student who was leaving with girl's red scarf (the face was hidden) as LJH was entering the hospital. however, PSW came later after LJH left. We did not see the student's face who left that picture to LJH. 

25 minutes ago, louisawatson said:

By the way, it's possible that the one who sent that picture could be PSW, BUT it also could be someone else. for example, in the hospital scene, there was another student who was leaving with girl's red scarf (the face was hidden) as LJH was entering the hospital. however, PSW came later after LJH left. We did not see the student's face who left that picture to LJH. 

Oh yeah it might not even be PSW. I just assumed it was because he stared meaningfully at LJH's ripped up business card. If it's not PSW that LJH passed outside then I have no clue who that photo is from. As for the person who left with the red scarf, when I looked back on the scene I noticed he looks a lot like the kid in the middle of the 7 students from the picture...he could be the person the case is getting tampered for....or I'm just awful with faces (which might be more likely in this case).

Archived