Guest ororomunroe

This is the first time I am back on Soompi forum after a very long time. I really enjoyed reading all of your insights!

I have too many favourite scenes so I am just going to pick my top 3: 

When Seol is drunk

tumblr_o18738coKn1qfakbgo8_400.giftumblr_o18738coKn1qfakbgo6_400.gif

tumblr_o18738coKn1qfakbgo5_400.giftumblr_o18738coKn1qfakbgo7_400.gif

When YJ hits his head

tumblr_o18gy8jhbp1spfigfo1_400.gif

When Seol opened up to YJ and YJ reassures her (it's such a heartwarming scene!)

tumblr_o18i6bfp1X1se4lluo1_400.giftumblr_o18i6bfp1X1se4lluo2_400.gif

And some others which also includes all of Seol's awkward moments!!!

Spoiler

tumblr_o1j15srC2n1tkneo3o4_540.gif

<3 <3 <3 

Spoiler

tumblr_o1lqrul13u1uq4zv4o6_r1_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_o1opyoYMoP1uh4rrxo2_400.gif

(for some reason, this made me crack up LOL)

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, mgicc said:

@coffeeboy Half of me thinks that you're nuts for attempting a freaking 26min video for your first subbed video and the other half is just amazed/happy that you're actually doing it. It's really nice of you to do it for everyone, thank you! We're all in for such a treat ^_^

Haha i kinda agree. I've already done the first 5-6 minutes and it just goes so slowly that you're like "i've only done 5 mins ?". 

But it's also kind of fun and good for your self confidence (yeah ! me too i can do it !!).

@coffeeboy omg i get you! My comrade :'D And then there's:

Wait what did i miss a line? Let me go back 1s!

*tries to go back 1s, goes back 30s instead*

Freak i dont know where i last stopped now imma have to scroll through the whole video again TAT  

:'D

--

It's the weekends so I'm on a roll, here's another interesting article ( in Chinese) that I've stumbled across courtesy of weibo~ 

It's a PHJ Interview with eNEWS,  where he mainly talks about his role, ratings, & KGE

10209405.jpg(pic cr WM娱乐 )

weibo link here: http://www.weibo.com/1712342474/DfvT1xQN3?type=comment#_rnd1454177693048

article link here: http://mwave.interest.me/enewsworld/cn/article/102103

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Rough Eng Translations here: 

Spoiler

[Skipped 1st  para]

<CITT> is a drama adapted from the webtoon of the same name. PHJ stars as the university senior who is perfect in looks, grades and family background but hides a dark inner world which people do not recognize. He revealed in the interview that when he was first invited to appear in the drama, inwardly he struggled and was hesitant, because it was very difficult to be exactly the same as the webtoon. Rather than having to force himself to stay true to the original webtoon, he initially thought that keeping the status quo (aka not accepting) would be better. After much consideration, he finally decided to take on the role, but on the grounds that while not straying too far from the main essence of the webtoon, he would portray a Yoo Jung with a different feel.

<<CITT>> had average ratings of 3.6%, with episode 5 ratings soaring to 6.5%, securing first place for 3 consecutive weeks. When asked for his thoughts about such good ratings he replied: “Before the broadcast I thought that surpassing 2.2% in ratings would be good enough, so I’m really happy that the ratings could reach 3.6%. I hope that the ratings could rise by 0.1% for each subsequent episode. I’m also really happy that there were not only viewers in their 10s and 20s, but also viewers in their 40s who watched this drama. <<CITT>> is a drama that moves hearts, it has an innocence that is able to strike a chord with viewers.

In the drama, KGE portrays PHJ’s underclassman Hong Seol and the two begin officially dating after sorting out their misunderstandings. Even without passionate, intimate scenes, just the mere act of fingers touching was enough to send viewers screaming. He let on: ”Some people have said that the eyes with which Yoo Jung looks at Hong Seol looks like it can drip honey. Kim Go Eun is a junior who is much younger than me, she’s very pretty and very cute on set, so I was able to look at her with that kind of gaze. From my standpoint, I would like to thank Kim Go Eun for allowing me to show good acting this way. I’m also very thankful to Seo Kang Jun. In reality my actual age is very much older than the original character’s, so I would like to thank them for treating me as Yoo Jung, allowing me to act without burden. I’m really thankful to them.”

Do you hear that?

It's the sound of my ship and it's~ S A I L I N G~

Yes i shamelessly highlighted the part where I was most interested in, but as I'm sure long time thread lurkers and commenters probably already know how hopelessly deep into the OTP hell hole I'm in, I'm not even going to pretend that I'm sorry ha. Have a good weekend, y'all ~

31 minutes ago, mgicc said:

@coffeeboy omg i get you! My comrade :'D And then there's:

Wait what did i miss a line? Let me go back 1s!

*tries to go back 1s, goes back 30s instead*

Freak i dont know where i last stopped now imma have to scroll through the whole video again TAT  

:'D

Totally ! and when you're with those 30s you feel like you have won a battle xD

What PHJ says about him responding to KGE's acting confirms what I've already observed. It's especially evident in the photo album scene and I think it conveys a high degree of authenticity. Due to the strength of his acting, I've never doubted since the beginning that his interest in Seol is pretty genuine. Even when she avoids him like the plague and is frustrated by all the unwanted attention, you can see the amusement dancing in his eyes. Jung knows he has taken on himself a tough gig to get close to her but there's no doubt in my mind that he's liked her for a while even if she's completely clueless about why he keeps asking her to have meals with him. ;) 

That scene where he's waiting for her to finish the report on his computer and talks about being distracted by her... yeah... definitely heart fluttering stuff. :D

When he asks her if she'd go out with him -- that must be the most unromantic-romantic confession ever. But it's the delivery too... very understated... "I'm glad". It's so Jung. But maybe it's years of reading 19th British novels and watching good adaptations from that period that's trained me to appreciate romantic undercurrents: What is said when what isn't said. One of my favourite movies ever, The Winslow Boy (adapted from Rattigan's play by David Mamet), has the best dialogue ever between the male and female lead at the end. It's British wit at it's best. The male lead doesn't come right out and say he likes her but ah... it's glorious writing. 

But I digress... :D 

As people have said over and over here, Cheese is about the small things and the sum of small things. In this world, God is the God of Small Things. In the ordinary, extraordinary things happen. The director knows it, the writer knows it and most importantly, the actors know it.

10 hours ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

@NRGchick basically everything you listed is what we still got to cover but I hope the Minsoo Younggon "cancers" as knetizens like to call them takes more than an ep because once you get rid of one, it wasn't so easy to get rid of the other. Jung's childhood. Jung's childhood. Jung's childhood. Those flashbacks are so important and informs not only on Jung (little boy was...), but also his father, the Baek sibs, and the Baek's grandpa. Also remember Seol's classmates are asylum escapees and not your regular college students so we still got some crazy classmates and the richard simmons they pull to deal with. Oh right also Jung's internship and working for his dad. 

@trashoppaya how come much of the audience hasn't thought that perhaps Inho brought the hand incident onto himself. I thought the flashback of him being cruel to Inha and her pursuits which he felt she had no talent for and boosting and showing how highly he thought of himself and his talents/natural born gifts were telling. If Inha his own sister gets this pissed and even threatens to break those precious hands of his, what's to say if he messes with a stranger or classmate in that same manner they won't do as she said? Yeah we saw Jung walking by but for all we know Inho could have blacked out and missed the part where Jung threatened those guys to leave before he went ape richard simmons on them, or his rolling his eyes and waling off to pick up a pipe or something (yeah I doubt it LOL). All I'm saying is that thus far we've only seen the incident from Inho's POV. I'm not saying Jung is not involved, I'm just saying there is more to it and more leading up to it than the drama wants us to know about right now...

ETA: One thing that is annoying me abut the drama is that it seems they are going out their way to make Jung more...mysterious and anti-hero than he was in the webtoon. Like in the webtoon they show us the misunderstanding that Jung and Seol had that had Jung finiding her bothersome. Seol wasn't without fault in year one and there were many misunderstanding incidents that had Jung judge her and find her bothersome. 

Hide contents

Seol once accidentally gave him the middle finger, he always catches her watching him then she acts really spazzy and weird when caught. He once caught Seol badmouthing him and laughing at/about him

Also there were a lot of cute interactions between the two before they officially started dating. I could have sworn that in the webtoon the arcade and lion buying came before "let's date" asking. I know there was a cute incident in the bushes where Seol is hiding from something then Jung not knowing what just hides with her without her knowing and when she turns around she almost has a heart attack as does he at her reaction LOL. Also Jung's feelings of liking Seol was evident from the get go. The selfie he took with her. There was a scene before they started dating, where Jung is walking in the school hall looking at the picture and smiling to himself. Then he bumps into Seol and once again asks for a meal together or something. The two also made each other laugh and you could really see that Jung worked at Seol warming up to him and asking her to date. Drama had it come much quicker and easier than it was in the webtoon. Are we sure Soonki is writing the drama? I don't see her credited. I thought the writer of 'Tree of Heaven' drama was writing it? 

i always felt that in the webtoons Sul was always confused as to why Jung liked her. I think he himself liked her bc he thought they were similar and the drama has that down so far. I think it would be a really long drama if they included everything that happened between them. I also would like to see Sul's interactions with In Ho More developed bc in the webtoons Snooki makes it so that it could go be either Jung or In Ho or no one at all but the way the drama is progressing, I see Sul ending up with Jung bc I can't see them making PHJ a second lead lol

6 hours ago, irilight said:

Park Hae Jin Compliments “Cheese in the Trap” Co-Star Kim Go Eun on Her Acting

In a recent interview with Yonhap News, Park Hae Jin reveals his thoughts on his “Cheese in the Trap” co-star, Kim Go Eun, and her perfect synchronization with her character.

He starts off by explaining that he thinks “synchronization isn’t just having similar visuals to the character, but rather something that the acting creates. Truthfully, the viewers didn’t see Kim Go Eun’s acting as Hong Seol until the drama started airing.” He remarks that he discovered the college student Hong Seol within Kim Go Eun when he met her officially for the first time last September on the drama set.

Throughout the interview, Park Hae Jin refers to Kim Go Eun not by her actual name, but her character name’s Seol. At the film set, he says that he always calls her “Seol-ah” and never really calls her as Go Eun. He insists that is how much “Seol” is just like the character Seol. Whenever he sees her acting, it doesn’t feel like acting or that she’s making up a new persona, and emphasizes that “Kim Go Eun is Hong Seol herself.” Portraying his thoughts clearly just like Yoo Jung sunbae, Park Hae Jin seems to be his character personified as well.

With his passionate insistence, you can’t help but wonder how Kim Go Eun will be as Hong Seol in the later episodes. He continues on, adding that “I doesn’t know if her character portrayal is due to her flexibility as an actress, or her precise understanding and analysis of the character. I feel like Kim Go Eun is a really underestimated actress.”

Previously, Park Hae Jin actually chose Kim Go Eun as his ideal type, so when the casting news for “Cheese in the Trap” was finalized, people were even more excited. While Park Hae Jin argues that ideal type is just another title bestowed onto people, even Lee Yoon Jung, director of “Cheese in the Trap” asked if they had any notion of dating. While dating might not be foreseeable at the moment, you can clearly feel the affection and admiration that Park Hae Jin has for Kim Go Eun.

Park Hae Jin’s compliments definitely increases the expectations for this drama, so don’t miss out on a single episode! “Cheese in the Trap” airs on Mondays and Tuesdays at 11 p.m. KST.

source

Awwww I usually don't ship two actors together in real life but I actually feel the urge to do so after this :wub:

Hi! I love reading all your wonderful insights!

I just adore YJ's character.  he admits he's a pushover and he just like to let things slide rather than create misunderstandings, but in the end he's the one being misunderstood. I just hope that HS would never give up on him till the end. As for the real PhJ and KGE, I love to ship them sooo hard, esp after watching that 2014 interview, seems like everything just fell into place. 

Why I LoVe CITT? 

--I love the PDnim ( same PD nim of Coffee Prince) 

--I love the OST! Eversince I started watching kdramas, OSTs just made me love the dramas (and the characters) more. 

--I love PHJ! To the moon and back! :D  he was called "the delicate boy" back in the FO days, he was so timid and shy. But watching his dramas,  he's done a wonderful job in his acting career. I barely noticed him in MLFTS, well he was just the second lead there.  I adore him in My Daughter,  Seyoung. In CITT, there was never a scene of him where I don't say the word, "he's so perfect!" :)  :D

--I love KGE and all the other characters! 

-- enough of my fan-girling mode. Hoping for more bts vids and interview vids. 

Thanks to all the wonderful people here! Hope you have a good day everyone! 

Cant wait till monday! :):D 

@mgicc and @coffeeboy thank you very much for the translations and videos! *hugs and kisses*

@SeGafanlady I am desperately trying not to fall into the shipper trap.....*help! I am drowning!*

I love how natural it feels between PHJ and KGE. 

I can see how they did not film in order. In the beginning when he asked her for lunch and she asked away and turned around and he was going up the stairs. That smile! And it must have been filmed later on since they were wearing scarves and winter wear.

I was thinking on it and I know most have compared Jung and Seol and the drama to Pride and Prejudice as well as Twilight but for me, it reminds me of the dark gothic genre. More Anne Rice than Stephenie Myer. Honestly Jung/Seol remind me of the Phantom and Christine from The Phantom of the Opera (both the novel and Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical) or the greek mythology of Hades and Peresphone (who became a boss richard simmons queen of the underworld and both a feared and loved figure in the 'Odyssey' and well sans the kidnapping (or was it) or the incest. I've seen the story interpreted so many ways). Basically this is not your typical rom-com meet-hate-love story. It's much darker and not so simple to peg down and I like that. 

@trashoppaya here is where points of views differ LOL. Reading the webtoon and still reading the recent chapters I never once saw or thought that Seol (Sul) liked/likes Inho as more than a friend or saw him in a romantic light. IMHO it was always clear through the differences in interactions and response to Jung and that to Inho that while he began to (because in the beginning I think she was just a friend to Inho too) see her/feel the attraction as something more. It never went there with Seol. It always came from Inho to me. Don't get me wrong, they had their cute moments and sometimes I've wondered "is this where Inho will kiss her or something and she may start to wonder and feel conflict?" -and that would be a natural response for anyone if a friend kissed you. you would question your actions and behavior that may have lead them to an idea of you and them together and then you may even begin to wonder yourself if you and them could/should be together- However that never came (well s4 chap 20, but even then not really). To me reading the webtoon for so long, I always felt it was clear that Seol was going to end up alone or with Jung. I don't know. I felt there were many times and opportunities that if Seol liked/likes Inho in that way and ever thought of taking it there with him, it would be clear on her part (the many times he protects her, hangs out with her, talks with her, is there when she and Jung are on the outs or Jung is simply too busy with his life to be there like before) and it would have went there but it didn't/doesn't.

Spoiler

Like in the latest chapter Seol is being harassed by San Chul and while Inho does hear it but I believe he was being held off by glasses dude and Joon from going ape richard simmons. Jung who has been MIA and we didn't see but only saw the feet off runs and is there to catch Seol as she falls. He takes the burnt of the fall and hurt for her. This from the writers tells me, (as far as Jung's role and his place in Seol's life) that even when Jung is not there (we couldn't see him see him) he's always there and is there and will be there for Seol when she truly needs him. And that scene is not the first time the webtoon does this.

The many times Jung reads Seol's mind or pops up and freaks her out because she was thinking of him/needed him. The time she fought with her parents and they were "time apart" but as she's walking and thinking of needing someone, there he is. Or that time she missed him and hadn't talked to him in days so she thought he had forgotten her. However he shows up on campus and she runs right into a bear hug with him. His part in the Minsoo resolving. I always felt the webtoon made it clear the two boys roles and significance/necessity in Seol's life. But hey maybe I am shipper blinded and I am so ready to be wrong or have read the whole damn thing wrong (thank you R'88 for the lesson LOL).

But one thing a previous drama has taught me is that writers can do whatever they please with their work and can/could be openly leading towards one thing on purpose only to conclude with the other thing they seemingly hid so well. Basically I could be reading the whole thing wrong and what I think is friendship and seeing someone as family is really untapped and unknown love. I always imagined Seol would be single or with Jung by the end of the webtoon and this drama but I am more than ready to be wrong and left yet again broken and wondering why LOL.

The nut in me went to rewatch ep 1 and 2. And this is my understanding of the timeline of how the drama approaches the story:

Ep1: school term starts and flash back to a year ago where Sunbae returned from Army. Seol met him for the first time.

Nam Joo Yeon and receipt incident came up, and that's when Seol and Sunbae got entwined.

Seol dont have a good impression of sunbae and even got accused of telling on Sangchul, from then on she avoided Jung. Sunbae probably dont have a good impression of Seol too because of all her hostility, when he was supposed to be popular in school. Hence the stepping on her paper incident.

When this new term started and they start choosing classes and the class stealing incident happened, Seol became suspicious of sunbae again and is very wary of him.

However in the mean time, sunbae had a different timeline. Either he felt bad about implicating her in the receipt incident or out of sure empathy towards her attitude in life, he started giving her a drink infront of NJY.

From later ep flashback, we know that they have worked on a bar project together, he fell ill and she took care of him. He was impressed with her work ethics and was finally smitten with her holding his fingers.

So he started seeking her out, first at the libary (since its the start of the year) to ask her out, but unfortunately Seol freaks out and didnt log out of her account leading to the lesson stealing incident.

In addition, he is determined to keep her in school (because he likes her and she is deserving anyway), so he forgo the scholarship (he doesnt need the money).

Being the detailed person he is, he started finding out her schedule and knows where she works. Bought her a drink at her workplace. And even went to the extend of joining her in Prof Kang's class when he already got a place in the other popular prof's group.

I counted in ep 1 that he asked her out for a meal 3 times. Ep 2 was even more. I read someone counted 11 in total, but I ended up with a tally of 10. I need to go revise my math.:D

In any case, by end of ep 2, when he waited for her outside her home, the signal is clear, the case is sealed. He really really is interested in her and is very hurt with her trying to hook him up with somebody else. woohoo.

ok happy sunday everyone! Say Cheese.....:lol:

50 minutes ago, NRGchick said:

I love how natural it feels between PHJ and KGE. 

I can see how they did not film in order. In the beginning when he asked her for lunch and she asked away and turned around and he was going up the stairs. That smile! And it must have been filmed later on since they were wearing scarves and winter wear.

Good observation! he smile so sweetly at her, like he knows her for awhile already!

Because we talk about how smitten PHJ with KGE, can I post link on instagram video? I found this video  a while ago, and I'm really happy and excited because in this video you guys will see something really cute about their interaction and you won't notice it if you dont take a closer look bcs it is really short and thankfully this owner' insta acc capture it. Here's the link https://www.instagram.com/p/--Xq42HwtH/

The way PHJ said "Noo" with his sparkly crinkling eyes, I'm already drowning

I love all of scenes when YJ interacts with HS, bcs YJ seems so mature and oppa-ish toward HS but oppa-ish creepy, oppa-ish cute etc. Lol that's why HS thinking that she should not fall into YJ especially his smile :wub:

2 hours ago, trashoppaya said:

I see Sul ending up with Jung bc I can't see them making PHJ a second lead lol

Ditto w/ the casting assessment.

On a narrative level, I also don't think Seol and In Ho work in the same way that Seol and Jung do.  In Ho's first meeting with Seol was independent of Jung, in my opinion, his initial interest in Seol stemmed primarily from the knowledge that she was an acquaintance of Jung's.  Once he discovered that they knew each other, he wanted to know how well, and the exact nature of their relationship.  Also, knowing that it bothered Jung to see them together, was even more reason for him to spend time with Seol. 

Now having spent time with Seol and getting to know the kind of person she is, I can easily envision In Ho falling for her charms.  And I wouldn't blame him if he did; that scene where she left medicine and bandages for him was particularly touching for In Ho, I know.  But, at the same time, I think he also realizes that Seol is interested in Jung and in my opinion, he doesn't have any interest in competing for those affections.  Besides, in my heart, I definitely feel like whatever happened to Jung and In Ho in the past, there is still a deep connection between the two ex-friends.  (And the misunderstanding just needs to be cleared for them to be close friends again!)  So that's another reason why I don't think In Ho would make a play for Seol.

Mostly though, I just don't get the romantic vibes when I'm watching Seol and In Ho together.  Friendship?  For sure.  They get along so well and they obviously look out for each other and care about each other.  But In Ho's not the one who makes Seol flutter, self-doubt, and spaz.  That's all Jung.

37 minutes ago, NRGchick said:

In the beginning when he asked her for lunch and she asked away and turned around and he was going up the stairs. That smile!

I love that moment as well!  And all those moments where Seol does something to make Jung smile in amusement, affection, and adoration.  What's great about it too is it's such a subtle smile.  I don't know what it is about that effect, but it makes it like that much more special.  Maybe it's because it's so fleeting.  It makes you feel like having caught the moment, you now have to treasure it.

Another example of that smiling moment is when Jung's waiting Seol to finish her report.  When she asks if he has to stand over her to wait and admits that him doing so makes bothers her, he responds that he's glad to hear it because she's been bothering him too.  It's clear she doesn't quite understand what he means, but he knows what he's talking about and his smile in that moment.  It's like he's saying to himself, "I have a secret, hee hee hee."  :)

This teaser is another perfect example of that trademark subtle Jung smile.  Just check how he looks at her at the very end, checking on her condition and also finding her utterly adorable.  Such a small smile, it's barely even a smile, and yet there's wealth of meaning in that one gesture!  Great acting.

tumblr_o1j15srC2n1tkneo3o4_540.gif

I just started this drama today--marathoning it.  I have to say that I'm really surprised at how much I like it--it's a little different from the norm. The above scene sums up why I like YJ so much. In episode 1 he came across as a little weird and there is still an air of mystery around him, but one thing that came across loud and clear, was that he truly likes and cares for Seol.  The attention that he gives her is so romantic. :wub:

Archived