[Drama 2015] A Daughter Just Like You 딱 너 같은 딸 20:50KST

Ldy Gmerm

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning All,

That oldest daughter that MIL I would have told her off right in front of that reporter she called her over there just to make those remarks about her mom had it been me I would have told her what she was really like in front of the woman she knew her son wouldn't say crap.. She needs to put the woman in a MIL place quick fast and in a hurry but she has waited to late for that.. I bet her husband is probably cheating on her..

Love the mom in the preview making dad prepare the Jesu while she ride something looking like a mechanical bull LMAO Had it been me Jesu would have been set up outside.. Halmoni ask that younger DIL to prepare it and she don't know how now why all three of them couldn't prepare it nasty mouth daughter mom and the DIL wait I forgot the other brother his wife that's 4 people who could have prepared it.. I bet mom might play her music while they having that part of the service.. LMAO I know I would they will think twice about holding Jesu and if Dad want to throw up the money that he paid I would tell him you should be happy I allowed you to use my electricity don't push your luck..    

@hot_hot1975

"Do y'all know where can I watch this drama with sub?"

Which language subs are you referring....

You can get readily Chinese sub at the internet just 6 hours after broadcast, as for English, to my knowledge....you will have to wait for MBC official subs unless other subbing providers had taken this drama in which I can't provide any information

As for my translation, it is done with my limited comprehension in hearing of the Korean language & a set of headphone

Video from Episode 6:

This woman calls him out about his fashion style for the interview.. SMH (she is such a witch)

They all want to know if she is his girlfriend.. lol

This guy is way to rude.. I do not blame her for laying him out with a frank answer.

Her husband seems like a A* Wipe and fake a momma's boy. Poor PHM and the FIL both are not happy. How is this woman to say those things. She wants to talk about her mother she is a mess. I hope she is brought down a peg and has a hard fall. I can only hope she ends up divorced and disgraced as she talks to this girl like this.

This guy wow he really acts like a fool. What is with him and her why such a rivalry?

Preview:

I love it she is making him prepare the Jesa and he can't do it. I often wonder why the men and other family members who do not know how to prepare for a memorial or do nothing to help can sit there and act like they are above it all. This is what he gets for lying about that money and staying there and thinking this woman was going to prepare for his fathers Jesa after they have stamped divorced papers and she has endured all she has from him and his family for the last 20 years. It looks like his mother is still acting ugly..the other DIL's in other drama's I have seen all help.. this family put it all on the 1st DIL but treats her like crap. smdh

Video Credit MBCdrama Channel on YouTube.

In the preview of Episode 7

You can see how frantic MJG is in preparing the Jesa table setting, going shopping & cooking the Jesa food, having flour on his face, he is try to make jeon (전 - pancake like dish). In Jesa the jeon variety made is the gannap (간납) or the gannam (간남)

HAJ is giving him verbal instruction & telling him that the umpteen times that they had hold the Jesa, he doesn't remember the order of the table setting

In regards to the Jesa table setting is an elaborate spread of food that need to be display. Just imagine someone had to prepare & cook all that food. The fact, the labour of preparing jesa food is one of the most common complaints by Korean women, & a big reason why eldest sons in Korea have a relatively harder time getting married.

Furthest from your perspective there will be a screen which is place on the north, then the jesa table is in front of it. The north is the direction for the dead. So the idea is that the dead will visit from the north, & will sit behind the screen to partake. Needless to say, this means that the rice & soup should be closest to the screen.

The next is shinhwi (신위), "the spiritual body". Shinwi a memorial tablet that represents the presence of the dead, usually written in Chinese character (hanja) denotes the deceased. This goes closest to the screen, in the centre of the table. In modern times, many families simply replace a photo portrait. But very traditional families have a small memorial tablet that they can use permanently.

The table setting of the food

In first row place in front of the memorial table is for the main dish. In Korean cuisine, that means rice, rice cakes and soup

2nd row - protein or heavy banchan (side dishes). Pick a type of protein & grill it. If the choice of protein is fish, the head should point toward east that is the right side of the table, & the back of the fish should point toward you. If the choice of protein is poultry, remove the head, intestines & feet. The grilled meat/fish is usually paired with pancakes (전) of some kind.

3rd row - a variety of soup soups. It must be in odd numbers for different kinds of soup -- in most cases three will do, but elaborate jesa involves five or as many as seven kinds. The soups are differentiated by their ingredients. One soup can be made of beef, the another of chicken, pheasant or any other poultry, another of fish, another of vegatables, & etc.  Usually a small dish of soy sauce is also placed for seasoning

4th row - lighter version banchan (side dishes). This row  usually involves some dried fish (usually cod 북어) & different kinds of sautéed vegetables (namul - 나물). Kimchi could go this row too. Salted or fermented fish products -- for example, salted brine shrimp (새우젓) could go here also. The dried cod & sauteed vegetables usually appear on every jesa table, but other banchan maybe switched around depending on the deceased's preference.

5th row is for fruits and desserts, the nearest row in your perspective. There is usually at least four fruits to be served, in this order from left to right - dates (Daeju - 대추), chestnuts, pears/apples & persimmons or any seasonal fruits. It is common to add a few more types of fruits, & they need not be traditional -- just something that the honoured person used to like. It is not too strange to have bananas on the table if the deceased particularly liked bananas, for example, although bananas are anything but traditional to Korea. Fruits are usually slice off on their top for the decease to consume easily. After the fruits, one can have traditional cookies and other desserts.

As for last year when Chuseok was early & the traditional fruits for jesa like the pear & apples & even chestnuts were not ready to be harvest, the Korean resort in providing watermelon, kiwi fruit & other imported nuts as jesa fruit offering

The last food or item to be prepared, although not on the table, is the liquor. Koreans usually use cheongju (청주 literally clear liquor) for jesa purposes, which is essentially the same thing as sake. Also prepare sungnyung (숭늉 - traditional Korean infusion made from boiled scorched rice)  Otherwise, a bowl of water will do

End of Episode 7

Mrs Ma got herself shower with "burnt" jeon from her son as he threw the jeon up while holding on a hot frying pan

Preview to Episode 8

Mrs Ma admitted to hospital from collapse as her husband Jesa ended up in disaster & the shock that her precious son is doing the Jesa preparation donning an apron holding to a frying pan

Jesa is very, very important in Korean culture. It is one of the few traditional ceremonies that Korean people still follow faithfully, often without regards to a particular religion. The fact, in a family life, jesa is as important as a birthday. After all, it only makes sense that if there is a birthday, there also deathday

Morning All  Hi,@gerrytan8063,  Thanks for your awesome work and glad to watch another drama with you.. 

I just love this drama it's never a dull moment between mom and hubby..

I just don't understand after all the crap Halmoni talk about her DIL and the wenches of daughters she has why would she even think this woman will still prepare Jesu for this family well her passing out is maybe what she deserved.. I still think she's faking it this woman is to honorary to go down like that.. I think she may be after some kind of justice for her son from the DIL.. It seems that either the DIL or one of her G/daughters told her off and shut her up..             

Video from Episode 7:

SMH at this man..

You can tell this man never paid attention or appreciated the work his wife did on the Jesa for his family. Had he looked at the work and prep it takes to do this he would have treated her better.

Is he telling on the female.. smh he is so childish..

This man has a home shopping addiction lol.. does he buy because he is addicted to shopping or because of the host?

Wow he is blacklisted from home shopping.. lol

Preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNFLGusZPKk

I am happy that the MIL had her shock her son is not all that for her to be that upset. Did she think that his wife after asking for a divorce and getting the papers stamped and dealing with her ill treatment for over 20 years and her attitude to the woman's daughters would fix a Jesa for her. She thought she would come there and treat the woman badly after she did all the work on that.. Well it serves her right to find out her son had to do it and they all screwed it up. It should have been at their own house anyway.. selfish people..

**note: Video may be out of order.

Video Credit MBCdrama Channel on Youtube.

Not sure what happen here.. the site double posted the video and then went down for a bit..

Anyway... The husband's mother and his siblings and wives all think this man is the best thing since slice bread. Frankly I do not blame women now for running if they find out that guy is a first son in a family..

I hope his mother stays in the hospital.. @valsava I agree she is prolly milking it trying to get some sympathy but I do not blame that woman's children talking to her and letting her know about herself and others. They have treated them and their mother horribly and still continues to do so. That woman is under no obligation to do anything for them anymore.. too bad they do not see how awful they are.. The husband needs to get out and not come back.. he caused all of that confusion by lying and letting them think he had taken control and forced that woman to do that Jesa.

@valsava

Mrs Ma former eldest daughter in law is already address her ex- mother in law as "halmeoni while her ex-husband is now Ajusshi

Grand daughters don't need to be involve in older generation dispute, it is deem not proper Respect your elders whether the elders earn your respect is another question, although these days a decline in filial morality have increase & is a concern. The willingness of the younger generation respecting the elders in a traditional way is now eroding

East Asia had a notable tradition of elder respect & reverence to parents

@valsava

Mrs Ma former eldest daughter in law is already address her ex- mother in law as "halmeoni while her ex-husband is now Ajusshi

Grand daughters don't need to be involve in older generation dispute, it is deem not proper Respect your elders whether the elders earn your respect is another question, although these days a decline in filial morality have increase & is a concern. The willingness of the younger generation respecting the elders in a traditional way is now eroding

East Asia had a notable tradition of elder respect & reverence to parents

I just love she's calling them Halmoni and Ajussi it's hilarious no wonder Halmoni passed out LMAO @LdyGmerm these people got thick faces.. Still can't believe they showed up at her house regardless if the son was there or not..   

Episode 7

It is so cute that HAJ decided to use the Jesa screen to demarcation zone in the house. She called the demarcation as the 38th parallel until she is able to reimburse MJG's 10 million, the meanwhile set a demarcation zone using the screen as their very own 38th parallel (DMZ)

38th parallel is the line of latitude 38 degrees North (38° N), in East Asia, which roughly marks the border between North Korea and South Korea

In the preview to Episode 8

HAJ told Mrs Ma when HAJ seek refuge behind the screen & Mrs Ma tries to "attack" her

HAJ: Halemoni, why are you trespassing into someone else boundary

Mrs Ma: Halmeoni!

@Valsava ~ i will start this drama after Run JangMi ends.  Hope this drama can take away the bad taste in my mouth from that drama!

@feima,  This drama is hilarious you will love it you will forget what's the name of that drama.. 

Episode 7

It is so cute that HAJ decided to use the Jesa screen to demarcation zone in the house. She called the demarcation as the 38th parallel until she is able to reimburse MJG's 10 million, the meanwhile set a demarcation zone using the screen as their very own 38th parallel (DMZ)

38th parallel is the line of latitude 38 degrees North (38° N), in East Asia, which roughly marks the border between North Korea and South Korea

In the preview to Episode 8

HAJ told Mrs Ma when HAJ seek refuge behind the screen & Mrs Ma tries to "attack" her

HAJ: Halemoni, why are you trespassing into someone else boundary

Mrs Ma: Halmeoni!

​@gerrytan8063, Thanks I wish MBC would sub this drama and give you a break .. 

I have to say those girls mom is off the hook she exercising her rights that just made my morning did you laugh as hard as I did from reading your translation..   Halmoni crossing the boundaries..

I thought all of them trying to move that table was just to much especially when Halmoni hit the floor laugh so hard..

What's up with the oldest daughter MIL why she always calling her when she lecturing class I know she do it on purpose also is she trying to get involved with her mom job..?  

Video Episode 8:

The nerve of her to run her mouth and I just love this woman for handling this way in this way.. They can take their behinds home if they do not like it. 

This is too funny that they stand around her bed crying over this witch after what she has done..

So he is asking the same question again.. does he perhaps have a crush on her?

She may know him from the home shopping maybe..He is recognizing her and he remembers him from the grocers.. What type of business does he run? LOL, they are going at it.. that is cute.

So these two are drinking together what will they get into drunk I wonder..

Preview:

Looks like he ended up with a punch to the eye.

Video Credit MBCdrama Channel on YouTube.

This drama just keeps getting funnier! Once again I love HAJ doesn't back down and let's her in laws know that she is smarter than them. As usual halmoni was over the top and tried to enforce whatever right she thinks she has in that house smh. The expression on their faces when they all saw that HAJ was serious about it was hilarious! 

Now what did IS do to KJ in the preview? It was funny how she tried to drag him into the love motel at the end of the episode. Did they go through with it or was he just punched in the face? Lmao! She is very rough and he can't understand it lol!

Thanks @Ldy Gmerm  For the video recap 

I think Ex-Military Dad runs a Real Estate office.. Just like I figured Halmoni is faking she did all that big talk only to go to that house and loose her face her son had to prepare the Jesu while the HAJ was doing her exercises LMAO  love how she was post up when they walk in she always calm when she's speaking to them and putting them in check.. I think the Jesu is more like they coming to her house to eat..  Even that other SIL had something to say at her age and a sealed divorce paper she should have known she had to prepare the Jesu yet she had the nerve to talk crap in the woman's house to her these people got a lot of nerves.. At this point Im just waiting for her to figure out he's trying to pull a fast one on her but I think dad may end up living in the Roof Top House.. Somebody is going to end up living there and can't wait to see who it is..   

@gerrytan8063 Thanks for your hard work at translating. While I can't catch up with the live streamings and each ep in quick time, your translation gave me insights to the daily eps. Not to mention the k-tidbits which I love. 

@Ldy Gmerm Thanks for your hard work too...for posting the vids - they're like a summary of each ep. A quick catch-up for me too. 

And, thanks to all for your insights. Love reading all your takes. Me? I'm loving this drama more and more. While I'm not happy with hubby(or is it ex) for his cheap trick (I still believe he scammed his way with that pension fund contribution) and for staying put in the house, I really enjoy HAJ and her 3 daughters' plot arcs. And I love SPS character - he who can't resist home shopping lures. I remember I was kind of like that last couple of years during Christmas season:o. Totally stopped watching HSN  these days...haha

Just dropping by to say hi and post my appreciation :) Back to watching...:P

PS: I see the synopsis, r/chart, and various character description in baidu. I'm working on the translation and will post when done. I think these will give us all an overview of what to expect :) 

Episode 8

The "jeon" (Korean pancake) that flew on top of Mrs Ma head & one landed safely on her head as MJG attempt to fried is Dongtaejeon (동태전 - Pollock pancake).

Dongtae (동태) refers to the frozen Pollock, Pollock sometimes spelled as pollack is inexpensive compared to other fishes. The dried Pollock is bugeo (북어) which you make a soup & pan sear dishes. The fresh Pollack is Saengtae (생태) which you can make jigae

Episode 8

Ma Jeong Gi Jesa table setting

1st row - Miyeokguk soup (미역국 seaweed soup), rice

2nd row - empty (most probably the Dongtaejeon - 태전 - Pollock pancake). a very over fried/grilled (can't identified the fish - mackerel?), samgyeopsal (pork belly)

3rd row - Pyo (dried fish - cod), 3 kind sautéed of vegetables (namul), spinach (Sigeumchi - 시금치), gosari (고사리 -fernbrake or bracken fern) & bean sprout (kongnamul - 콩나물). The vegetables must be in different colours

4th row - Jujubes/red dates, Roasted chestnut (must be roasted with the shell then peeled, but MJG bought peeled roasted chestnut from the packet that people usually eat as a snack when having drink, 3 top slice pears, 3 top sliced apples, Injeolmi tteok (인절미떡)

Injeolmi tteok (인절미떡) is rice cake made with sweet rice (glutinous rice) then coated in roasted soy bean powder or other things like black sesame seed powder, mashed red beans, chopped pine nuts, chestnuts, &  jujubes

MJG late father wasn't please with his Jesa offering as while trying to move to the North, the whole table topple. As Ma In Seon text her sister that the scene was a Nam Jang Pan (남장판), a disaster

Archived