@zenya22 i meant - not impressed - as in not yet understanding how lucky he is to have her on his team how much more than just a family connection she is, he has not yet realized that she will be very important in her own right - to him she is averagely smart  - we know better

@USAFarmgirl cant fool me, dont believe for a second that you have weak mind or heart

• Like 2

Tree with Deep Roots (2011) : Novel vs. Drama

I read the comment section of the dramabean ep. 14 recap, and I think there are some misunderstandings about Tree with Deep Roots (2011), the previous drama of Six Flying Dragons (2015).

tumblr_inline_ny6atiWy9M1s5yhgo_540.jpg

SBS TV series Six Flying Dragons (2015) is the prequel to Tree with Deep Roots (2011) which is loosely based on the novel of the same name written by Lee Jung Myung. However, the original novel and its TV drama adaptation are totally different.

Novel vs. Drama (Spoiler Alert!!)

• The novel's main characters are Kang Chae-Yoon, So-Yi, and Garion. Unlike the drama, King Sejong rarely appears. TV writers increased the king's part tremendously.
  • Yeon-Hee, Yi Bang-Ji, Karpei Temukan do not exist in the novel. They were entirely created by the TV writers. Therefore, there is no mention about Yeon-Hee being Jung Do-Jeon's woman in the novel.
  • In fact, there is no reference about Jung Do-Jeon and his secret organization in the novel. Milbon (Hidden Roots) organization was created by the TV writers. So, Milbon plots and characters belong to  TV writers.
  • In the novel, Garion is a good guy from beginning to end. No mention about Jung Ki Jun in the novel.
  • Moo-Hyul is a faithful eunuch to protect King Sejong in the novel. TV drama changed his character into a manly royal guard with a beard.   
  • In the novel, Kang Chae-Yoon and So-Yi are not childhood friends at all. They get to know each other while investigating the serial murder case in the palace.
  • Kang Chae-Yoon is a naive and cute young investigator in the novel. Totally different from the character that Jang Hyuk played in the TV drama. The whole revenge plot against the king was created by the TV writers.  
  • So-Yi is a palace maid, which means she is basically king's woman that is not allowed to love any other man except for the king. But Chae-Yoon falls in forbidden love with her in the novel.

tumblr_inline_ny6dcrFFbD1s5yhgo_540.jpg

Basically, the novel is a Korean version of The Da Vinci Code + The Name of the Rose : Investigation of scholars' murder mystery during 7 days.  TV drama completely changed the plot and characters of the novel. They became almost separate works.

Edited by homura
  • Like 6

@zenya22,  I'm not one to really pay attention to music in a drama unless it's really catchy but the folk songs in this drama are so meaningful and the ones singing the vocals really put heartfelt meaning to them I like both version of the song Ds and what's her name song.. Sad but I think DS will die fooling around YH she has no compassion for anyone which is understandable.. But what she fell to realize is she missing out on love due to her past no matter what she do it's not going to bring her back and she knows this but she stop living as the loving YH to the YH that hates the world and everybody in it good or bad.. I wonder later will she become a big part of help to the japanese.. 

No, I don't know if she exactly sent him to the Japanese as they are the enemy but somewhere out of Goryeo where he supposedly will be safe. I don't think YH will ever leave JDJ. She also wants to be part of a revolution to change Goryeo into a new dynasty and a new era as a reason for her to keep going and be alive. I think if there were a chance that she will ever love again it would be with someone new someone who will not remind her of long ago someone who will patiently love and wait for her heart to heal and that will not be DS but who knows what the writers have in store for us.

• Like 2

@zenya22 i meant - not impressed - as in not yet understanding how lucky he is to have her on his team how much more than just a family connection she is, he has not yet realized that she will be very important in her own right - to him she is averagely smart  - we know better

@USAFarmgirl cant fool me, dont believe for a second that you have weak mind or heart

Bw can't predict the future either so he does not see her yet as someone whom he will need to win the throne for himself. It still does not mean he cannot appreciate her intelligence at the moment. He does but he does not yet need her for now. Someone who is smart will never underestimate anyone as average. The one who does is the one who is average and we know BW is not average. Sorry, we just have to agree to disagree here. BW in this drama is highly intelligent.

Edited by zenya22
  • Like 2

btw @zenya22what does it mean -  Who has the difficulty passing through the eye of a needle?

something that is difficult to see? impossible?

and also  - want cookies with his tea?

these are very nice expressions are they yours? 

the eye of the needle is a biblical, philosophical expression and means that the one who passes the eye of the needle is the one who will do what is true or morally right and it is the hardest thing to do. It is like passing the eye of a needle. 

As for the cookie reference, it was a joke originated in the Drama JOJ and YAI played the king who was in love with JOJ and the there was a scene where his grandmother asked JOJ to serve the king tea. Well he also wanted cookies with his tea and that was JOJ. it was a joke.

• Like 2

Stick around the more you get to know me the more you will see I am not just a romantic who follows her heart.  I am a true dalulu:w00t:  I own stock in FAIRYLAND too! :lol:LOL but one thing is for sure I write what I feel.  As I posted on another thread to me the key to life is being nothing other than yourself.  Everyone won't always agree but dang that's what makes this place so amazing!!:D

Stick around the more you get to know me the more you will see I am not just a romantic who follows her heart.  I am a true dalulu:w00t:  I own stock in FAIRYLAND too! :lol:LOL but one thing is for sure I write what I feel.  As I posted on another thread to me the key to life is being nothing other than yourself.  Everyone won't always agree but dang that's what makes this place so amazing!!:D

id love to visit your FAIRYLAND and ill invest in your stock

• Like 1

XIA (Junsu) 준수 - Time flows by since it's you 너라는 시간이 흐른다 - Six Flying Dragons 육룡이 나르샤 OST Part.2

Kim Bo Kyung 김보경 - I Guess It’s You 그댄가봐요- Six Flying Dragons 육룡이 나르샤 OST Part.1

cr: EmêRâLd.K-MV+

Edited by nevill
  • Like 6

Greetings, All,

I just marathoned the first 12 episodes of this amazing drama and have the last two to go and so I thought I'd take a look at what the "professionals" were saying about the drama in this forum to see if there is anything I missed.  I haven't read everything, yet, just the last few pages but I'm finding this drama is more about the development of the future King Taejong than it is about the relationships between the characters. For instance, the young YBW believes his father to be the "strongest man" until he sees him vulnerable; he believes DJD to be the "strongest man" when he sees him leading the protest outside the city gate and then he sees him subdued and exiled.  He finds the cave and comes to believe the author of the plan for a new Joseon is the "strongest man".  Like all young boys learning what it means to become a man, the young YBW is searching for the ideal man to emulate and, in the process, learns about military power, courage and strength of character from his father; he learns about dedication to a cause and the power of words and a charismatic leader watching DJD outside the city gate and he learns about vision and the power of ideas and strategic planning from his time in the cave.  With each "lesson" he learns the qualities necessary for leadership, that they each have their place and there is an order and a hierarchy.  On some sites, this drama is called "Root of the Throne" and I can see why it is called that.  The root of anything is not just its origin but it is the means by which its life is sustained so calling the drama "Root of the Throne" it seems to be saying that the throne of Joseon was sustained and nurtured by these things:  strength of character, courage, vision, dedication, military power, charismatic leadership and the power of ideas and the ability to articulate them and put them into effect.

Edited by chickpea
typo
  • Like 2

it's hard to not be drawn to characters everyone is different so it's interesting to see why & who they choose or you could be like me and it changes every week.  Of course it might have to do with my weak mind & heart that always seems to be moved by a melody or emotion.LOL:w00t:

Speaking of changing choices every time the writers write the episodes differently, I too was changing my bias to JDJ/YH when I watched one of the scenes but cried for DS at the same time. There is that scene with JDJ unwrapping YH from the sack the security chief of JD, Eun Nam put her in when they found out that she was a Hwasadan spy. JDJ told the security he knows about it. JDJ then crouched down and untied YH and asked her if she was hurt anywhere. YH simply asked him, do you trust me? I found the response of JDJ to be interesting. He said "you always told me to hurry up and establish a new Joseon, make alliances and set up new policies, told me to eliminate the trouble maker and did not feed me until I made a decision. Given the desperation I feel from you, how can I not trust you?" I laughed when I heard him say that she witheld food from poor JDJ. For me the conversation or what JDJ said implies that they had closer emotional bonding than the student/tteacher relationship I thought them to have. And I felt that JDJ cared about her more than a comrade/informer/student. I was thinking this could work, she needs someone like JDJ who is patient with her and help her heal but then they showed DS standing in the shadows watching them and my heart cried for him. He needs to heal too. Maybe BY can help the brother. They both need family. .

Edited by zenya22
  • Like 3

Guest chajoowon

Finally they reunite, let poor Bang Ji be happy with someone he loves for a minute.   His love story, past, present is too tragic with Yeon Hee.  She likes to hurt herself, i dont think she will ever love anyone as she did when she was young girl with DS.   Prolly she wont have time to heal her dark heart if Bang Ji and her doesnt change for her better.

Edited by chajoowon