Tbvh, Why some of ppl here talk as Boon Yi is not the Main character in this drama? She is right?... 

Anyway i really hope writer create a lot of romantic scene between BW & BY, since both of them are the main character in this drama.

As we all know that Bang Won marrying LM just sake of politics benefits, nothing more than that. :rolleyes:

We may never expect what will happen at the upcoming episodes, So yeah..

Arent its kinda painful to watch if two ppl who loves each other, not endup together??....:mellow:

• Like 6

@meiazza i think that usually in korea the first 2 names are similar that how LBW and brothers are 

Lee Bang Won, Lee Ban Gwa, Lee Bang Woo

but Bun Yi & Dang Sae are completely different whay not at least part of the name to show they belong to the same family 

• Like 2

After watching for 12 episodes, my most anticipated character Lady Min finally appeared in episode 13, I was rather impressed by the character in Jeong Do Jeon even though she only appeared in episode 36, thus I am hoping that while the loveline continues between BY and BW, greater nuance can be injected into this character for the show rather than portraying her as just a antagonist reflecting actual history. So far, her character is shown to be very intelligent and perceptive of political trends and very ends minded which is why she told her dad to sacrifice her if needed. This ends mindedness is where I predict she will become a bigger source of support and encouragement for BW rather than BY in the future. For BY, her overriding objective more than love is the bigger cause which is furthering the rights of the common people and doing good, she also greatly trusts Jeong Do Jeon who believes in doing things the right way which will likely pull her in opposite directions from BW.

In contrast, Lady Min like Bang Won are more goals oriented people willing to do what it takes to achieve a goal, thus actions like killing of Jung Mong Joo (Poeun) who became the final obstacle to ending Goryeo is likely to be supported by Lady Min but opposed by BY which could be the start of the splitting of ways of the both of them. In Jeong Do Jeon, Lady Min advice is often what allows Bang Won to take the final step or make the correct moves as Bang Won is usually more impetuous and both of them showed great trust for each other, I wonder how much of it will be reflected in this drama.

• Like 7

@meiazza i think that usually in korea the first 2 names are similar that how LBW and brothers are 

but Bun Yi & Dang Sae are completely different whay not at least part of the name to show they belong to the same family 

Oh, if that's your quesion, the answer is simple.

1) They are not nobles.  2) Boon-Yi is a woman.

It is called "Dolimja (돌림자)" in Korean : The common syllable in the names of your generation in your family. The Dolimja rule mostly applied to noble class men. Commoners, slaves, and women didn't have such a rule in the past.

For example, in Jeonju Yi family, General Yi Seong-Gye's generation (his brothers, his male cousins, etc) shared the same syllable "Gye" in their names (Yi Won-Gye, Yi Cheon-Gye, Yi Seong-Gye).  Likewise, their sons' generation shared "Bang" in their names (Yi Bang-Woo, Yi Bang-Gwa, Yi Bang-Gan, Yi Bang-Won, and........ Yi Bang-Ji). 

The order of Dolimja for each generation is predetermined by the clan's own rule. Therefore, you can recognize someone in your clan belongs to which generation only by his name.  

In most cases, daughters didn't share the dolimja. Actually, women's names were rarely recorded in the past. Even the names of queens and princesses were not recorded. They were known only as their family name or their official titles. 

For example, Yi Bang-Won's wife Queen Wongyeong is known as Lady Min, and nobody knows her full name. The TV writers call her Da-Gyeong, but it's not historically accurate name. 

Boon-Yi is a commoner, and a woman. That's why her name doesn't share any syllable with Tang-Sae's. 

Edited by homura
  • Like 7

Oh, if that's your quesion, the answer is simple.

1) They are not nobles.  2) Boon-Yi is a woman.

It is called "Dolimja (돌림자)" in Korean : The common syllable in your names of your generation in your family. The Dolimja rule mostly applied to noble class men. Commoners, slaves, and women didn't have such a rule in the past.

For example, in Jeonju Yi family, General Yi Seong-Gye's generation (his brothers, his cousins, etc) shared the same syllable "Gye" in their names (Yi Wong-Gye, Yi Cheon-Gye, Yi Seong-Gye).  Likewise, their sons' generation shared "Bang" in their names (Yi Bang-Woo, Yi Bang-Gwa, Yi Bang-Won, and........ Yi Bang-Ji). 

The order of Dolimja for each generation is predetermined by the clan's own rule. Therefore, you can recognize someone in your clan belongs to which generation only by his name.  

In most cases, daughters didn't share the dolimja. Actually, women's names were rarely recorded in the past. Even the names of queens and princesses were recorded. They were known only as their family name or their official titles. 

For example, Yi Bang-Won's wife Queen Wongyeong is known as Lady Min, and nobody knows her full name. The TV writers call her Da-Gyeong, but it's not historically accurate name. 

Boon-Yi is a commoner, and a woman. That's why her name doesn't share any syllable with Tang-Sae's.  

just to clarify if BY was a man she would have Dang or Sae in the name even though a commoner? 

• Like 4

just to clarify if BY was a man she would have Dang or Sae in the name even though a commoner? 

Nope. As I said, it applied to noble class men.

Dang = man?     Yi = woman?

im sorry -  you wrote 2 reason and one reason was BY is a woman but why DS? name bc he is a man?

Edited by nevill
  • Like 2

im sorry -  you wrote 2 reason and one reason was BY is a woman but why DS? name bc he is a man?

OK. I misunderstood your question.  I told you the Dolimja rule applied only to noble class men. Commoners didn't have such a rule. But if you are a commoner and want to name your kids in such a way, who cares? But that was not common at all.

As you know, the noble class had been literate and most commoners had been illiterate until the Hangul alphabets were created by King Sejong who is Yi Bang-Won and Lady Min's son.

Therefore, while the names of noble class were in Chinese Characters. (Gye(桂) and Bang(芳) are Chinese characters), commoners' names were mostly in native Korean.

Tang-Sae 땅새 : 땅 Tang (earth, land) + 새 Sae (a common suffix for lower class male). I guess the TV writers' intention for his name is "The son of the soil".

Boon-Yi 분이 : 분 Boon (face powder, or resentment? I'm not sure) + 이 Yi (a common suffix for lower class female)

Their missing mother Gan-Nan-Yi 간난이 : Gan-Nan means "a newborn". It was a very common female name in the past. That's why Jung Do-Jeon told little Tang-Sae "There are probably over a thousand Gan-Nans in Goryeo." (ep 3)

Moo-Hyul's brothers : Their names are related to numbers. One, two, three, four... in native Korean way.

Edited by homura
  • Like 8

Because he is a commoner.  I told you it applied only to noble class man.

As you know, the noble class had been literate and most commoners had been illiterate until the Hangul alphabets were created by King Sejong who is Yi Bang-Won and Lady Min's son.

Therefore, while the names of noble class were in Chinese Characters. (Gye(桂) and Bang(芳) are Chinese characters), commoner's name were mostly in native Korean.

Tang-Sae 땅새 : 땅 Tang (earth, land) + 새 Sae (a common suffix for lower class male). I guess the TV writers' intention for his name is "The son of the soil".

Boon-Yi 분이 : 분 Boon (face powder, or resentment? I'm not sure) + 이 Yi (a common suffix for lower class female)

Their missing mother Gan-Nan-Yi 간난이 : Gan-Nan means "a newborn". It was a very common female name in the past. That's why Jung Do-Jeon told little Tang-Sae "There are probably over a thousand Gan-Nans in Goryeo." (ep 3)

thank you - thats exactly what i didnt understand - so their names are the description type 

• Like 2

Greetings, All,

I just marathoned the first 12 episodes of this amazing drama and have the last two to go and so I thought I'd take a look at what the "professionals" were saying about the drama in this forum to see if there is anything I missed.  I haven't read everything, yet, just the last few pages but I'm finding this drama is more about the development of the future King Taejong than it is about the relationships between the characters. For instance, the young YBW believes his father to be the "strongest man" until he sees him vulnerable; he believes DJD to be the "strongest man" when he sees him leading the protest outside the city gate and then he sees him subdued and exiled.  He finds the cave and comes to believe the author of the plan for a new Joseon is the "strongest man".  Like all young boys learning what it means to become a man, the young YBW is searching for the ideal man to emulate and, in the process, learns about military power, courage and strength of character from his father; he learns about dedication to a cause and the power of words and a charismatic leader watching DJD outside the city gate and he learns about vision and the power of ideas and strategic planning from his time in the cave.  With each "lesson" he learns the qualities necessary for leadership, that they each have their place and there is an order and a hierarchy.  On some sites, this drama is called "Root of the Throne" and I can see why it is called that.  The root of anything is not just its origin but it is the means by which its life is sustained so calling the drama "Root of the Throne" it seems to be saying that the throne of Joseon was sustained and nurtured by these things:  strength of character, courage, vision, dedication, military power, charismatic leadership and the power of ideas and the ability to articulate them and put them into effect.

Well hello my well raised friend @chickpea. Long time, I hope things are going well for you and the family..  I'm glad your enjoying the 6fd as the rest of us and we all welcome you as you can see this thread isn't getting much action like empress ki but I think the story is just as good if not better.. I like your theory and explanation on this drama being the story is about Taejong so come back and share your comments with us I'm looking forward to them..  

I think BW will come to care about Lady Min because of her intelligence and wit when BY has already told him not to have designs on her whom I think she may just end up leaving with her brother if he don't get killed.. Who knows LM may grow into his heart over a period of time she is after all his wife.. Like he said he probably will have a special place for BY in his heart until he dies and that's just it.. At some point that special place will no longer show as it is now..

What I find funny and a good payback to HID is his enemy snatch the woman he wants and needs to support his political power HID may go as far as trying to kill BW but I see him trying to involve Yuan again in the political matters to try and stay stronger then LBY especially when it comes to the military because HID don't have no military power so his political strength is weak as of now.    

@miamour, Or any others who sings that song in that video I been looking for that song please help me out.. 

• Like 2

Hey guys im kinda late following this drama, as im recently watching Ep10

I would like to talk bout the EP15, Why Bang Won should marry other girl? Arent he loves Boon Yi? 

Or perhaps he just fooling around her? what a painful to watch if they not endup together :(

After all, Yi Bang-Won is a political animal. He has had a strong desire for power since he was a little kid. Do you remember the conversation between Hong In-Bang and Yi Bang-Won in the temple? Bang-Won can tolerate the psychological torture from Hong In-Bang, but Hong said that Bang-Won wouldn't be able to endure the powerless condition any longer. Bang-Won was also aware of it.

I don't think anything can stop him. Even his love for Boon-Yi can't stop him from marrying Lady Min for political benefits. And Boon-Yi already knows it.

Greetings, Friend,

I'd like to offer a different perspective...  from my point of view YBW isn't marrying for political power, even though, by this marriage he acquires a powerful political ally in his wife-to-be and her family.  From my perspective, he is sacrificing his future happiness for his father's political future and the sake of the new Joseon.  Why do I say this?  First of all, he asks BY to marry him, tells her he has always loved her and probably always will (I'm paraphrasing, of course).  BY refuses him (dumb move but necessary for the story line) right about the time there arises this need for some political alliance with this family to strengthen his father's position in the Council.  DJD previously "taught" YBW the necessity for sacrifice to achieve some greater end when he was eplaining why it took so long to rescue him from the Tribunal.  To YBW, since the woman of his dreams (and heart) has outright rejected him and told him in no uncertain terms (paraphrasing again) that Hell could freeze over and she STILL wouldn't marry him because of the difference in their classes (pulling my hair out right about now)... he offers himself up as a marriage partner for this political alliance which will benefit his father and lay the foundation for a new Joseon.  Since he can't have what he wants, he decides to do what no one else in his family or the organization can do, and marry into the family.  His brothers are not of the right age to marry this girl and the other members of DJD's organization are not of the right social class to marry this young girl.  The only option to counter the bad guys is to offer himself up as a prospective marriage partner but this means he will never have the woman of his dreams since BY has also told him she will NEVER, EVER be a concubine, so this marriage means having to give up any hope of possessing the woman he has loved since childhood...  

@valsava - (blowing kisses...)  Ciao, ciao Sunbae-nim (?)...  Great minds think alike, I guess, so we all end up here together...  

Edited by chickpea
  • Like 2

Six Flying Dragons Episodes 13 and 14: Mouths Move As Hearts Speak.

by Unnichan (dramafever)

4f330879-c818-4a3c-bbec-abe06dfab9fd.jpg

What is truly rumbling in the hearts and minds of humans is a many splintered thing but when you add creating a new nation... well Flyers, sifting through all the intricate details, motivations and misconceptions can be rather complex. Our dragons are dealing with all types of demands, loves and desires this week in Six Flying Dragons, proving the ways to gauge the true measure of a man (or woman) is not just exposing his fears but uncovering the depth of his commitment.

Life Lessons Learned

• Never underestimate politically savvy daughters
  • Boy spies vs. Girl spies - a rumble just waiting to happen
  • “Buying Taffy” is a great euphemism for whatever you need it to be
  • Events are Super Momentus when everyone runs in Slo-Mo
  • Everyone needs a tiny green teapot for important strategizing
  • Pulling training manuals out of your pants is a bit awkward
  • Evil Assassins can be detected by the miasma of skulduggary they bring with them.

68aa4f19-bb31-42dd-8fdd-a5255615cf5b.jpg

to read more:

http://www.dramafever.com/news/six-flying-dragons-episodes-13-and-14-mouths-move-as-hearts-speak/

• Like 2

Greetings, Friend,

I'd like to offer a different perspective...  from my point of view YBW isn't marrying for political power, even though, by this marriage he acquires a powerful political ally in his wife-to-be and her family.  From my perspective, he is sacrificing his future happiness for his father's political future and the sake of the new Joseon.  Why do I say this?  First of all, he asks BY to marry him, tells her he has always loved her and probably always will (I'm paraphrasing, of course).  BY refuses him (dumb move but necessary for the story line) right about the time there arises this need for some political alliance with this family to strengthen his father's position in the Council.  DJD previously "taught" YBW the necessity for sacrifice to achieve some greater end when he was eplaining why it took so long to rescue him from the Tribunal.  To YBW, since the woman of his dreams (and heart) has outright rejected him and told him in no uncertain terms (paraphrasing again) that Hell could freeze over and she STILL wouldn't marry him because of the difference in their classes (pulling my hair out right about now)... he offers himself up as a marriage partner for this political alliance which will benefit his father and lay the foundation for a new Joseon.  Since he can't have what he wants, he decides to do what no one else in his family or the organization can do, and marry into the family.  His brothers are not of the right age to marry this girl and the other members of DJD's organization are not of the right social class to marry this young girl.  The only option to counter the bad guys is to offer himself up as a prospective marriage partner but this means he will never have the woman of his dreams since BY has also told him she will NEVER, EVER be a concubine, so this marriage means having to give up any hope of possessing the woman he has loved since childhood...

First, Yi Bang-Won never asked Boon-Yi to marry him. He just meant that he wanted to give her comfort instead of her family. That's not a marriage proposal at all.

Second, marriage between a noble and a commoner was against law. Becoming concubine (mistress) is her only option if she continues to love him.

Third, the biggest reason why Boon-Yi rejected his love is... she had a strong guilty feeling for her brother. Difference in social status, Bang-Won's immature comments, I don't want to be a concubine, etc. are all her lame excuse to hide her real reason.

Finally, it was entirely Bang-Won's choice to marry Lady Min. Bang-Won didnt' have to sacrifice himself for his father's political alliance because Yi Seong-Gye had another unmarried son Bang-Gan (his 4th son, and Bang-Won's elder brother) as Moo-Hyul said in the conversation with his teacher Hong. (ep 14)

Edited by homura
  • Like 8

The only option to counter the bad guys is to offer himself up as a prospective marriage partner but this means he will never have the woman of his dreams since BY has also told him she will NEVER, EVER be a concubine, so this marriage means having to give up any hope of possessing the woman he has loved since childhood...  

Give up?!! Bang Won even said that he loves her until he DIES! For me his political marriage wont be like other wedding couple, their marriage just for a tittle, JUST for public views. About BoonYi, Like come on, LOVE can make ppl change. The moment ppl say never, but in the end of the day they do that. 

Finally, it was entirely Bang-Won's choice to marry Lady Min. Bang-Won didnt' have to sacrifice himself for his father's political alliance because Yi Seong-Gye had another unmarried son Bang-Gan (his 4th son, and Bang-Won's elder brother) as Moo-Hyul said in the conversation with his teacher Hong. (ep 14)

well i believe he just marry to Lady Min for temporary, then what will happen to BoonYi? This drama was like giving ppl hope on BW-BY as a main character from the beginning, and then a sudden turn up marrying someone else? Their marriage seems like a fake marriage without any special feelings. TBVH ;)

• Like 3

@homura - "

"First, Yi Bang-Won never asked Boon-Yi to marry him... and following"

Greetings,

Yes, I can see your perspective and maybe we're reading different subtitles, but for me, saying he wanted to give her the comfort of family (since she is technically an orphan without siblings at this point) is, for me, the same thing as saying, he wants TO BE her family.  Stating his intention without actually proposing.  One of the things YBW admired most about BY is the fact that she never let things like unjust laws stand in her way in the past... not when she cultivated that field that didn't belong to her town, not when they tried to hide the product of that field instead of submitting it for taes and not when she burned the storehouse to the ground.  Her courage in refusing to abide by blatantly unjust laws is one of the things that made her attractive to him; I think he even calls her the strongest woman he knows.  I, therefore, find it difficult to believe that she would let the unjust cultural mores of a Goryeo they are trying to overthrow control matters of her heart.  This is a woman who courageously acts on her heart and what she knows to be right.  And I don't see the connection with her brother, I know she mentions it, but I think it's an ecuse.  I do understand her not wanting to be a concubine; that is the only thing she said that makes any sense and fits with her character... she's in it for all or nothing.  Yes, perhaps YBW's older brother could have been a marriage partner for--Ms. Min?--but he didn't present himself, not that I'm aware of, so YBW in what I agree is an immature act of trying to "get back" at BY for refusing him, offers himself as a groom.  Anyway, that's how I see it...

And, yes, as @valentvcd correctly points out below, what happens in the drama must reflect what actually happened in history...  I think the original question was whether YBW's intention in offering marriage with Ms. Min was a political move... my response was that it was and it wasn't, had BY agreed to marry him, stand by his side, allow him to be her family, whatever you think he meant with his offer, I do not believe he would have offered to marry into the Min family.  It is only because BY had just rejected him so definitively he saw a way to perhaps hurt her and do something to help his father and the cause.  Had BY accepted him, I don't think he would have made the offer and then we would have a drama that didn't fit the history...

Edited by chickpea
  • Like 4