Tree with Deep Roots (2011) : Novel vs. Drama

I read the comment section of the dramabean ep. 14 recap, and I think there are some misunderstandings about Tree with Deep Roots (2011), the previous drama of Six Flying Dragons (2015).

tumblr_inline_ny6atiWy9M1s5yhgo_540.jpg

SBS TV series Six Flying Dragons (2015) is the prequel to Tree with Deep Roots (2011) which is loosely based on the novel of the same name written by Lee Jung Myung. However, the original novel and its TV drama adaptation are totally different.

Novel vs. Drama (Spoiler Alert!!)

• The novel's main characters are Kang Chae-Yoon, So-Yi, and Garion. Unlike the drama, King Sejong rarely appears. TV writers increased the king's part tremendously.
  • Yeon-Hee, Yi Bang-Ji, Karpei Temukan do not exist in the novel. They were entirely created by the TV writers. Therefore, there is no mention about Yeon-Hee being Jung Do-Jeon's woman in the novel.
  • In fact, there is no reference about Jung Do-Jeon and his secret organization in the novel. Milbon (Hidden Roots) organization was created by the TV writers. So, Milbon plots and characters belong to  TV writers.
  • In the novel, Garion is a good guy from beginning to end. No mention about Jung Ki Jun in the novel.
  • Moo-Hyul is a faithful eunuch to protect King Sejong in the novel. TV drama changed his character into a manly royal guard with a beard.   
  • In the novel, Kang Chae-Yoon and So-Yi are not childhood friends at all. They get to know each other while investigating the serial murder case in the palace.
  • Kang Chae-Yoon is a naive and cute young investigator in the novel. Totally different from the character that Jang Hyuk played in the TV drama. The whole revenge plot against the king was created by the TV writers.  
  • So-Yi is a palace maid, which means she is basically king's woman that is not allowed to love any other man except for the king. But Chae-Yoon falls in forbidden love with her in the novel.

tumblr_inline_ny6dcrFFbD1s5yhgo_540.jpg

Basically, the novel is a Korean version of The Da Vinci Code + The Name of the Rose : Investigation of scholars' murder mystery during 7 days.  TV drama completely changed the plot and characters of the novel. They became almost separate works.

thank you for this information. I have seen the other drama and I liked it a lot. I thought MooHyul was based off a real fighter during that time and I remember looking up information about him but finding nothing. Makes more sense now since by TWDR storyline MooHyul would be way younger than what he looks like in Six Flying Dragons.

So BooYi and Lee Bang Yi are both fictional character created just for this drama? 

If you dont mind, who was responsible for the scholars being murdered in the book? 

• Like 4

well i believe he just marry to Lady Min for temporary, then what will happen to BoonYi? This drama was like giving ppl hope on BW-BY as a main character from the beginning, and then a sudden turn up marrying someone else? Their marriage seems like a fake marriage without any special feelings. TBVH ;)

this drama is historical drama.. so even with fictions add, has to follow the real history.... I am sure eventhough BW marries LM.. he will still loves BY and I think the person will get hurt more is LM. But I hope the writers don't make LM too much jealousy to BY or make LM become mean lady. 

But.... (again).. in the real history some/every queen doesn't receive king's love always become mean and jealous to King's women...:sweatingbullets:  

• Like 5

Reading all the posts today when I got on reminded me....  WOW

th?&id=OIP.M7719ce97931d945145c9e5c48994  This place wouldn't even be worth coming to if we all thought alike.

Can't wait for the next episodes that will stir our minds & hearts.  Drama or not, fiction or history no matter how the writers stir the pot it sure is fun reading & writing about their words and what we see & feel.  For our characters have their own paths and so do we..... Fighting Dragons:w00t::wub:

Oh my heart my heartoh drama what are you doing? The romances here are becoming more like a Grecian of Shakespearean tragedy. No Cinderella happily ending ever after in this drama but who knows, I just see DS predictions that some of the dragons will not live to see the new Joseon they are fighting for. I still hope that even for a little bit of time that BW/BY will have some togetherness. Aish drama....

• Like 4

Reading all the posts today when I got on reminded me....  WOW

th?&id=OIP.M7719ce97931d945145c9e5c48994  This place wouldn't even be worth coming to if we all thought alike.

Can't wait for the next episodes that will stir our minds & hearts.  Drama or not, fiction or history no matter how the writers stir the pot it sure if fun reading & writing about their words and what we see & feel.  For our characters have their own paths and so do we..... Fighting Dragons:w00t::wub:

Well  for one thing brother and sister will be reunited and I already have tissues ready because that too will be emotional and I am betting they will have another haunting music for that. But I also have tissues for the wedding. Some people cry on weddings. I don't but for this wedding I will even if I understand the reasons for the marriage.

I hope MH does not lose his dorkiness because it is looking like he is the only one who will still give us a reason to laugh we sure are going to need it. AIGOOOOO

• Like 2

@MiAmour, Temporary marriage does not exist in the history of Korea. If you marry someone, the marriage lasts for your entire life until you or your partner dies.

@chickpea. I'm not reading any subtitles. I'm a native Korean living in Seoul. To me, that's not a marriage proposal at all. If you think so, it's due to the mistransaltion of the subtitle you read. Actually, while watching ep 13~14, I thought Bang-Won was really irresponsible. Boon-Yi said reality, but Bang-Won guaranteed nothing.  

@mrsyooknit. Yes, Boon-Yi and Yi Bang-Ji are fictional characters created by TV writers. Moo-Hyul is loosely based on the novel, but he is an eunuch in the novel unlike the TV drama.

In the novel, everybody doubts Choi Man-Ri, the conservative scholar leader who opposed the creation of Hangul, but Kang Chae-Yoon finds out the real culprit is Shim Jong-Soo. Shim is the scholar who becomes the 4th leader of Milbon (Hidden Roots) in the drama. There is no secret organization like Milbon in the novel.

Edited by homura
  • Like 8

@zenya22  Your so right I will be crying for so many reasons and if they throw a Korean folk song in there somewhere you can count on my needing more tissue!!!  But honestly I think I will be crying for BY the most.  How is it that the writers have chosen to make her happiest moments of finding her brother. A moment she couldn't have dreamed was possible.... Yet in the next breath she must face the pain of losing the boy who saved her as a girl.  Who she never forgot as a woman, who saved her again & again.  Even more the man who holds her heart but will never be completely hers.  My heart goes out to LM also who is young & intelligent may understand the purpose of the marriage.  But unlike BY she doesn't know everything yet, that although she will gain his name & unification of their families.  This marriage will be crowded from the start for his heart is already tied to another. I agree with you this is one wedding that tears won't be flowing out of happiness but I feel in sadness....:sweatingbullets:  Just thinking about BY crying makes me think about pausing  the drama till I recover:(

this drama is historical drama.. so even with fictions add, has to follow the real history.... I am sure eventhough BW marries LM.. he will still loves BY and I think the person will get hurt more is LM. But I hope the writers don't make LM too much jealousy to BY or make LM become mean lady. 

But.... (again).. in the real history some/every queen doesn't receive king's love always become mean and jealous to King's women...:sweatingbullets:  

I know very well that this is historical drama, this SFD drama is not the 1st historical drama ive watched LOL, as i watched many of drama like this back then, And i dont think this drama following 100% from the history. i can see the DIFFERENT between drama vs novel. 

@MiAmour, Temporary marriage does not exist in the history of Korea. If you marry someone, it last for your entire life until you or your partner dies.

Alright you got some point there, but other wise, king can also marry someone else right?

What comes into my mind is, what if Boon Yi becomes a concubine and then turns as a new queen? im just assuming here, cause i think none of us knows what happen till the LAST Episode (Eps 50)

The previous Yoo Ah In's historical drama that i watch is Jang Ok Jung. As this girl become a concubine from the beginning and then step by step she aims herself to become a queen. So at last she did it. :rolleyes:

s.jpg

• Like 3

In the history, King Taejong had many concubines, but none of them became a queen. Lady Min was the one and only queen to him. period.

Many concubines?? Really that? :vicx:

should we trust this? Sry, I mean like maybe Writer will not following 100% from the history. If he really gonna have many concubines in this drama, then i guess BoonYi's character somewhat will looks pitiful. -_-

Embedded image permalink

• Like 3

@MiAmour  
King Taejong (Yi Bang-Won) had one queen (Lady Min) and 17 concubines. Except for Hyobin who was a slave girl working for his step mother, most of the concubines were noble class ladies. They entered the palace all at once as soon as he ascended to the throne, which made the queen hate her ungrateful husband. 

Edited by homura
  • Like 5

육룡이 나르샤 15회
방송일 : 2015.11.23 22:00

연희는 정도전을 데리고 자리를 피하지만 이내 벽사계와 마주하고, 이때 나타난 땅새가 위험에 처한 연희와 정도전을 구해낸다. 땅새와 연희를 알아본 분이는 눈물을 흘리고, 땅새는 정도전에게 이곳에 남겠다고 말한다. 한편 이성계는 땅새에게 ‘이방지’라는 이름을 내려주며 정도전의 호위를 맡기고, 홍인방은 자신의 혼사를 거절한 해동갑족에게 얼마나 잘못된 판단인지 알려주려 역모를 꾸미는데...

Six Flying Dragons Episode 15 text preview
Air date : Nov. 23, 2015  PM 22:00

Yeon-Hee takes Jung Do-Jeon away but runs into Byeok Sa-Gye (the assassin). In the moment of crisis, Tang-Sae apperas and saves Yeon-Hee and Jung Do-Jeon. Boon-Yi recognizes Tang-Sae and Yeon-Hee and sheds tears. Tang-Sae tells Jung Do-Jeon that he will stay here. Meanwhile, Yi Seong-Gye gives Tang-Sae a new name "Yi Bang-Ji" and places him as Jung Do-Jeon's bodyguard. Hong In-Bang plots against Haedong Gapjok who rejcted his marriage talks, in order to let them know they made misjudgement.

Edited by homura
  • Like 11

@MiAmour  
King Taejong (Yi Bang-Won) had one queen (Lady Min) and 17 concubines. Except for Hyobin who was a slave girl working for his step mother, most of the concubines were noble class ladies. They entered the palace all at once as soon as he ascended to the throne, which made the queen hate her ungrateful husband. 

Is there any history bout Boon Yi?

Honestly, im more interested to see her than other casts in this SFD drama. As she already nails her character as a brave & cool girl, then a sudden.. well its somewhat screwed thou..

Just imagine how painful it was seeing ur own love get married with someone else.

• Like 3

@MiAmour  Boon-Yi is a fictional character created by TV writers. It is possible she is Hyobin, the slave girl who became a concubine when Yi Bang-Won was a prince. But nobody knows what will happen to Boon-Yi in the drama. Personally, I don't want her to be his concubine. I hope she remains as a symbol for suffering commoners of Goryeo.

• Like 3

@homura - "I'm not reading any subtitles. I'm a native Korean living in Seoul. To me, that's not a marriage proposal at all. If you think so, it's due to the mistransaltion of the subtitle you read. Actually, while watching ep 13~14, I thought Bang-Won was really irresponsible. Boon-Yi said reality, but Bang-Won guaranteed nothing..."

...and this eplains why we have different perceptions about what is happening.  I am not Korean and I depend on the subtitles which, on the site I watch, uses native speakers for translation.  I am an American but I have studied literature and history and I approach the story as literature and history.  The only "correct" answer here, is the fact that Ms. Min becomes Mrs. King Taejong because that's historically accurate.  Everything else is dramatic or artistic license and that's the beauty of the drama and evidence of great writing.  Everyone watching the drama will bring their background to it and get something different out of it and, when we share it here, we all benefit from the tapestry of ideas that are brought forth.

So, just to make sure I didn't miss something, I went back and re-watched Episode 13.  JDJ turns YBW over to BY; she, in turn, takes him to the doctor and threatens violence on the doctor if he is not more gentle with YBW.  Everything about her actions say she cares deeply for YBW and he notices it.  When they are in the forest, he hugs her and asks why she didn't tell him she was the child who was with him back then.  He says after she set the fire, after she stole his shirt, after she ran away at the Inn and since she was a child, "I knew, she's the one.  She is mine."  At this point, in her minds eye, BY sees her brother putting the cosmetic on YH just before the baddies raid the village and she is raped.  She then pushes YBW away and runs off saying she feels like she is betraying her brother.  When YBW finds her, she says to him, "I have no intention of being yours.  I have no feelings for you.  A long time ago I decided not to have feelings for people.  I can't love someone and its annoying to receive it from someone.  What feelings or love can happen in this shitty world.  For me, I am just thankful that you saved me.  We are comrades with a common goal and its a more important relationship than your family."  YBW asks, "Are you refusing me?"  BY replies, "Yes.  Come to think of it, I really don't like that you are YBW.  (We) don't have family names.  Love with someone like you, to get involved, how will I be punished?  I can see it in front of my eyes."

So, from your perspective, YBW is immature and irresponsible in Episodes 13 and 14.  From my perspective, BY shows herself to be a petty coward in Episode 13 when it comes to what should be the most important thing to her, her own heart.  The fact that she says the comrade relationship "is more important than your family" seems, to me, to indicate she knows YBW meant marriage even if he didn't outright say it.  Her claims that she decided "not to have feelings for people", that she can't love someone and its annoying to receive love, even if in trying times, and her declaration that she doesn't like YBW because he has a surname and she doesn't just makes her look petty and petulant.  And I don't buy it.  She wasn't afraid of punishment for cultivating that field or hiding the crops or burning down the storehouse or tying up YBW and leaving him shirtless, etc. etc., but she's afraid of loving the man who has just said that he has always loved her?  I don't buy it.  I'm not sure where the writers are going with this--probably trying to stay true to history and hitch Ms. Min and YBW--but, if anything, I would wonder if BY has suffered some psychological damage as a result of her brother's failure to help YH in her time of need and if the "betrayal" she feels is more about his betrayal of YH than of her betrayal of him.

@valsava - still think the site is slow?  :o

• Like 4

I posted way back that King U and King Chang were not casted and only King Gongyang, the last king of Goryeo Dynasty, will show up in the drama.

But today, I read the news on DC SFD gallery that King U was finally casted. He will be played by a stage actor named Yi Hyeon-Bae, so most of you may not know him. Six Flying dragons have casted many stage and musical actors. Nam Eun was one of them.

Anyways, we can see the current Goryeo king, finally.

• Like 6

@homura: This is a drama, it's not history completely. Writers can add characters which made a drama insteresting more. First of all, this drama didn't tell about love BW & LM, it's true. LM just only supporting character, eventhough her role didn't more plot than Yeon Hee. I learnt Korean languge about 3 years and I watch this drama without sub and in my way, I know that BW want to become her family, not proposal ( BW is so intelligent and he know different from class not to bring an official marriage ) but it has full meaning more than proposal. He just want to be her side simply, not more thinking. Because their love didn't have solution in that time.

About history: It's not just only Korea, in China... when you become a king, you will choose first wife who become Lady or Queen. It's not involve in love, just rule in that time. A nation has only King and Queen, you think if BW didn't choose LM, who should he choose? A history never accuracy completely, so it's a topic which made many people want to exploit to other sides. Important, writers develop content by lean on history.     

• Like 4

Bang-Won never proposed marriage to Boon-Yi. That's exactly my point.

He is smart. He already knows that it is impossible to marry her in the Goryeo sociey. He also didn't say he would make her a concubine. There is no solution about reality, just love and heart. "I love you. I know you are mine. Accept my love. I want to be your comfort instead of your family. What? Are you refusing me? Why?" This can not be called a marriage proposal. Just love confession.

Even if he loves Boon-Yi, he will choose to marry Lady Min for political benefits. He is that kind of person, and Boon-Yi already knows it. Don't think he is a typical melo drama hero. He is not sacrificing himself. It was his choice. That's my point.

Edited by homura
  • Like 9

Guest smokegetsinyoureyes

Bang-Won never proposed marriage to Boon-Yi. That's exactly my point.

He is smart. He already knows that it is impossible to marry her in the Goryeo sociey. He also didn't say he would make her a concubine. There is no solution about reality, just love and heart. "I love you. I know you are mine. Accept my love. I want to be your comfort instead of your family. What? Are you refusing me? Why?" This can not be called a marriage proposal. Just love confession.

Even if he loves Boon-Yi, he will choose to marry Lady Min for political benefits. He is that kind of person, and Boon-Yi already knows it. Don't think he is a typical melo drama hero. He is not sacrificing himself. It was his choice. That's my point.

This was how that scene came across to me, too. There was no offer of marriage. It was an offer of love & comfort (to be her "family", in lieu of her real family because she has none (discounting DS - they didn't know he's still alive.) Boon-Yi knew how difficult and impossible the situation is, so she said no, even though she loves him. She doesn't have the luxury to say 'yes' even though that would have made them both happy.