[Drama 2015] My Love Eun-dong 사랑하는 은동아

wolanah

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right now - I´m confused...

Sorry for beeing late here... I thought this Drama is just not my cup of Tea - so I put it far behind on my list or maybe I would not even watch it... Than I saw here a Report about it - and it feels like - what I read in the Synopsis was not right... or not enough...

I decided to give it a try - and I admit I was prepared to skip a few scenes...

Ähm - I did not skip even one Second!!! And I guess - the next 7 hours - I have something to do... 8 hours - I´m waiting for the Subs for I remember you too.

I will not comment anything about the Drama - because - how can I do that? I just watched one Episode. But I have to say - I was so wrong about this Show - it is a brilliant Start - and I expect a lot now. So give me a little time - and I will join the discussion. I´m happy to see that so many people here loves this Show. And I´m just greatfull to find out about it now - I would really miss a Gem. I should trust JTBC. After FfI - I love this now.

Off topic: OMG I just realised that Yoon Sohee is also a part of SK telecom CF ensemble with Junior. She joined earlier though.

Junior's CF (released last week)

Yoon Sohee's latest CF (released a few days ago)

Now I really want MLE to get that 5% rating (tall order, I'm aware of it) just so I can see these two singing together.

Guest vvpal

Gosh it's only Tuesday and I've rewatched episode 8 five times and I'm going end to end again for the third time. I canceled a dinner appointment so I can watch the show stream live, and when I realized I won't be able to make it home in time I stayed at the office to watch.  MLD has sucked me in big time and I know I'm not alone.

Some random thoughts from the frenzy watching:

1. Regarding the banner, is it a charity event? It's the same charity that gave ED food right?

2. @jadecloud , our oppa looks good in ALL moods and regardless of clothing although happily drenched in unbuttoned white cotton shirt is good, and we can also go for the minimalist look for a birthday suit.

3. I'm not Korean and my knowledge of Korean culture is via dramas/Soompi/Dramabeans so can someone help me understand why a 33 year old married woman would insists she's an ajumma? So matronly!

MLD has sucked me in big time and I know I'm not alone.

3. I'm not Korean and my knowledge of Korean culture is via dramas/Soompi/Dramabeans so can someone help me understand why a 33 year old married woman would insists she's an ajumma? So matronly!

You are not alone my dear.  You are looking at someone who's translating hashtags !!!!  :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Ajumma simply means a married woman. Since SJE is married she calls herself a ajumma.  She called herself that when she asked her husband, why would JEH be interested in an ajumma with a husband and a kid?  Or when JEH asked and DG answered in their van she was beautiful and had very kind eyes but an ajumma (meaning she was married).

On SLA thread I wrote this story about what a shock it was for me personally to be called an ajumma for the first time in Korea.  I grew up in Korea until I was 14 and never imagined myself as an ajumma ever!  It was for old matronly women as you put it so well.

I will never forget when I was visiting Korea at the age of 24 and in the subway, I forgot to pick up the ticket off the machine once I went through the entrance bar.  When I was walking away I heard a young man (a middle school student perhaps) yell out 'ajumma' toward my direction.  I stopped dead thinking to myself 'it can't possibly be me!'  I turned around and there was no one else in the vicinity except for me and this kid. I could have but I didn't kill him or beat him up but  I was in shock for the rest of that trip to Korea.  All that to say the age doesn't matter, it could be just how you look sometimes (I had a bad perm at 24) or a marital status in general. Perhaps to a 14 year old anyone over 20 is an ajumma.

An unmarried woman is called an 'agassi' in case you want to know.  

PS:  For someone as beautiful as Kim Sa Rang she may continue to be called 'agassi' or 'saek-ssi' which means a young bride or bride to be by her looks among people who don't know she's married. I believe the granny in the language school called her either one of these (I have to look it up to be sure which since I'm at work).  

On Viki comments, people thought she was being called 'sexy'.  'saek-ssi' sounds like a soft 'sexy' but of course the granny learning Korean would not know that English word !

Guest vvpal

Ajumma simply means a married woman. Since SJE is married she calls herself a ajumma.  She called herself that when she asked her husband, why would JEH be interested in an ajumma with a husband and a kid?  Or when JEH asked and DG answered in their van she was beautiful and had very kind eyes but an ajumma (meaning she was married).

On SLA thread I wrote this story about what a shock it was for me personally to be called an ajumma for the first time in Korea.  I grew up in Korea until I was 14 and never imagined myself as an ajumma ever!  It was for old matronly women as you put it so well.

Ah I learned something again.  I didn't know it was so clear cut because in dramas every woman regardless of age who works in a restaurant or market is an ajumma (and they usually have perms and wear flowery harem pants). Have you not explained I would have flipped tables if anyone except Dae Han, Min Guk and Man Se calls me ajumma when I'm visiting Korea.

Ajumma simply means a married woman. Since SJE is married she calls herself a ajumma.  She called herself that when she asked her husband, why would JEH be interested in an ajumma with a husband and a kid?  Or when JEH asked and DG answered in their van she was beautiful and had very kind eyes but an ajumma (meaning she was married).

Ah I learned something again.  I didn't know it was so clear cut because in dramas every woman regardless of age who works in a restaurant or market is an ajumma (and they usually have perms and wear flowery harem pants). Have you not explained I would have flipped tables if anyone except Dae Han, Min Guk and Man Se calls me ajumma when I'm visiting Korea.

The origin of 'ajumma' is a married woman but it has built up a huge connotations especially in the K-Drama land.  It's now strongly associated with women working in 'low brow' jobs.  

The new word now is 'imo' which means an aunt.  You hear Min Guk-i calling for 'imo' whenever he wants his food or drinks at restaurants.  He asked 'imo' for information on where to find mushrooms when he was on an errand at the supermarket with his brothers and father to make the chicken dish a couple of weeks back.

For most married women in Korea they don't like being called ajummas.  Rich women like being called 'Lady' or 'President'. 

PS:  I was never called 'ajumma' once when I worked in Korea for 6 months at the age of 30.  I attribute that to a better hair do :rolleyes:

Hello everybody :) 

I was reading your wonderful posts, really enjoying and learning a lot with them :)  Most of the time I feel myself really satisfied reading them. I mean, the ideas are so good that I don't have the urge to write anything, because you guys just write things that, conscious or unconsciously, I would like to wrote myself. :)

But I think that there is an issue that, maybe, will be on fire next times: the moral and/or ethical issue. Is it right for EH and ED to have an affair??? I saw already some of you talking about that question. And in fact I think that it will be an important issue during the nexts episodes, along with RI problematic.

For me, maybe I'm simplifying the thing, but I don't have any problem with EH and ED consumating their love. That because the writer paved the things in a way that gives me a not guilty feeling. I will point to the reasons why I feel that way:

1. ED can't lie. This is not an impresion that only EH has: we could see in each episode how 30 ED is honest with everybody - she can't lie (which makes what her "family" did even worst!);

2. The above means that ED won't have an affair in her 20's if she was married. So, my conclusion: she wasn't married before the accident;

3. The problem is that she (and the others) was told by her family that she married her husband years before the accident, and that it hapened in the USA. That lie was important because it will be impossible to ED marry JH after the accident: whose girl would marry someone who she doesn't remember? Even if she was pregnant?

4. To me there are only three possibilities: or ED isn't in fact married, that is the marriage is fake; or she was forced to marry (soon before the accident); or she married after the accident under false pretences.

5. In any case, that marriage isn't moraly valid; and in two of the three cases it wouldn't be legaly valid.

6. Finally, I think that if ED will date EH, she will tell the whole truth to her supposed husband.

Given the above points, I don't feel myself at all torn between love or moral. The problem is that as ED doens't know yet the actual conditions/circunstances under which she is "married" - and that is true also to their social environment - she will feel herself torn between love and duty.

Bye :) 

Guest lorac

Seungshinl, since you are fast becoming our resident Korean expert perhaps you could clarify the translated subs in two scenes. Viki and DramaFever approach the subject of translating subtitles a bit differently. With the Viki subs, I was a bit confused with the scene between ED and her hairdresser friend when she asked to "make her sexy." The DF subs seemed to be a bit more clear in intent. Which do you think is more accurate?

The other scene is the now infamous "loved each other to death" scene. Viki and DF took slightly different approached. To me, the DF translation was more sophisticated but I'm not sure if it was more accurate. DF has been known to translate for a somewhat simplistic western consciousness all the while sacrificing accuracy.

What do you think? It's sort of nice that we can watch the drama on Viki and DF and get a slightly different takes on the dialog.

Seungshinl, since you are fast becoming our resident Korean expert perhaps you could clarify the translated subs in two scenes. Viki and DramaFever approach the subject of translating subtitles a bit differently. With the Viki subs, I was a bit confused with the scene between ED and her hairdresser friend when she asked to "make her sexy." The DF subs seemed to be a bit more clear in intent. Which do you think is more accurate?

The other scene is the now infamous "loved each other to death" scene. Viki and DF took slightly different approached. To me, the DF translation was more sophisticated but I'm not sure if it was more accurate. DF has been known to translate for a somewhat simplistic western consciousness all the while sacrificing accuracy.

What do you think? It's sort of nice that we can watch the drama on Viki and DF and get a slightly different takes on the dialog.

I've been watching MYED on Viki so I will have to check the DF versions for these scenes when I go home from work and I will post it later.

In the mean time, this thread had some discussion about 'loved each other to death', I'm linking my post here but you may be interested in reading what the others on the thread had to say about that around the time frame of my post.  The conversation went on about that specific scene in the car and what JEH said to JED/SJE.

http://forums.soompi.com/en/topic/346231-current-drama-2015-my-love-eun-dong-사랑하는-은동아-—-fridays-and-saturdays-at-840pm-kst/?do=findComment&comment=19038873

'My Love Eun-dong' Kim Sa-rang's long legs

photo605649.jpg

On June 23rd, Kim Sa-rang's agency Brave said on their official Facebook, "Despite the hot weather and tough filming schedule, actress Kim Sa-rang is working hard on the set of 'My Love Eun-dong'!! We'd like to present you her hot close-up paparazzi shots".

The photos show Kim Sa-rang, hard at work on the set. The unphotoshopped snaps show her straight long legs and her bright skin.

Kim Sa-rang is currently appearing in JTBC's Friday & Saturday drama, 'My Love Eun-dong' as Seo Jeong-eun, who lost her memories.

As Seo Jeong-eun started recovering her memories, the conflict between characters are becoming intense. At this turnaround, the anticipation level has been raised on the romance between Ji Eun-ho (Joo Jin-mo) and Seo Jeong-eun (Kim Sa-rang).

Source: http://tr.im/uNhg2

@seungshinl:... Thank you again for the wonderful favor of translating for us !  I do enjoy "clicking" on the LINKS writers put in their forum comments.  

BUT, I'm forced to rely ?-HA! ) on Google Translate.  And what a mess that is, and also hilarious at times!  Therefore, COMPLETELY UNRELIABLE.

I "clicked? onto the link to THE FACT news item.  Sounded like KSR didn't approve of  Korea's legal drinking age  (too low?) because she herself had  "gotten drunk way back then".     :huh:         

Makes me wonder why Google is spending all the BIG $$$ developing that car that drives itself instead of  finishing the GOOGLE TRANSLATOR       "Widget", gadget, whatever.  Google has even developed its own fleet of "fly & spy" DRONE CAMERAS!       B)   But I keep going back, hoping that Google" and "Bing" will treat me better, if I just "forgive them just one more time?"   Never works!

Enjoying all the speculation and information,  pictures, "back-stories", etc.     You all notice so many details that totally never even register a tiny "blip" on my own "radar screen" --- all the little things that  seem  "so obvious" when I find them written about in reviews and articles later.  "How could I have possibly missed that?"  Well, now  you are pointing them out to me while the Drama is still rolling!  Thank you all!

EDIT:  After you hit the  SAVE  to post your REPLY to the forum,  do you ever find the entire contents  are still there when you go to write up a new REPLY?   I have to use the "Backspace" tab to erase the entire piece before I can write a new comment. Any idea how  it happens?  Thank you for any suggestions.   :) 

@seungshinl:... Thank you again for the wonderful favor of translating for us !  I do enjoy "clicking" on the LINKS writers put in their forum comments.  

Makes me wonder why Google is spending all the BIG $$$ developing that car that drives itself instead of  finishing the GOOGLE TRANSLATOR       "Widget", gadget, whatever.  Google has even developed its own fleet of "fly & spy" DRONE CAMERAS!       B)   But I keep going back, hoping that Google" and "Bing" will treat me better, if I just "forgive them just one more time?"   Never works!

If it works, Google Translator would be most useful especially if it's vocal and simultaneous, like the UN interpreters.  I can use that in my work environment or in travels...  if it works.

The thing is a language is a live thing that lives and grows and changes.  The pauses and accentuations in between are also a part of the language.  So I just don't see how that could be replicated by a computer.  But who knows.

@gladcraze:

^_^  Had to giggle when you talked  (p.155 or 56?) about the idle chit-chat between  Eun Ho and his manager/buddy --- "10 girlfriends?"   and he had sex with each of the 10?    "Are you bragging?

Made me curious how our Writer learned so well the useless topics guys discuss among themselves, just as we women do, too?   Probably all  a part of her keen ability to observe and and interpret the behavior she sees all around her.  Her understanding and imagination  are the start points of a story like this one, MLE!                                    

I need to save the guys' image a little, at least I have never engaged in any conversation concerning conquest of females, never in my entire life time. Perhaps the reason might be that I am an engineer and I find guys to be very shy; and they actually worry about girls not liking them for who they are. When I was an undergraduate, there were only 3 girls in the entire school of engineering (8 departments). Okay, let's switch the environment a little since I also love to play basketball on the street (playgrounds) and it is a very diverse group with people who could jump sky high. Even there I have never heard conversation concerning females in that direction and they like rap music. Once I asked this middle age basketball player what he thinks of one particular attractive female basketball player, he bit his hand really hard, a symbol meaning he is really into her. But no words were spoken. Since now I am now in a male-dominated profession (engineering professor) with female secretaries, I also find men are very private about their affairs, if any. So I don't know where the entertainment industry gets the idea that guys talk about girls all the time. I can imagine brain-dead guys with low self-esteem would want to brag about a conquest, but I guess I don't have friends like that.

But I must defend KDG, I really love EH's manager, he is too cool. You must not be mistaken about his conversation with EH. He was telling him how special he is and how he is the only one he knows who could love someone like that. @seungshinl would tell you EH is a fictional character who might not exist. So DG's role in that scene was to prove that without a doubt. Even faithful husbands would have temptations to impress an attractive female on occasions, but EH has absolutely no desire to even attempt that. DG was not showing off to EH about his 10 girlfriends, he was trying to emphasize he couldn't do what EH is doing. Wow, this post is really boring....

What have I done - Why did i start this before it is over????

This will break my Heart! I just watched 1 - 3 and i have to take a Break now. I know all of you knows so much more than me  - so should I aks - The Child - is it from Hyun Soo - I can´t stop thinking about that possibility. Okay - I will find it out.

But - damn - I worry. How can that Story end happily - with the DreamCouple together???? Why did I start it to soon? In fact I can´t get away from it anymore - but I´m scared. They need to be together. But when a Child is involved my MotherHeart is with it too.

Good Night! I need to take a break....

really - what have I done....

What have I done - Why did i start this before it is over???? really - what have I done....

You've done the right thing chingu, just join us.  There are worse things to do in life than watch The Top Star Joo Jin Mo getting all worked up about a date with an ajumma, as beautiful as she is.

@mdj101 I keep missing thanking you for mentioning me as the person who started the BBTD sentence. Lol *blushing red like a tomato* When I first read the translation of what EH said to ED abt the "bang bang till death for two days", I was like, "What??? Did I miss their banging scenes?! Wait, do I need to rewatch the previous eps? When did they do it?!"....so many thoughts came to mind! ;) And later on after I joined y'all, I learned abt the webisodes and postings from CP-nim. Wow, didn't know they showed alittle of that memorable bang bang scenes until I watch @jadecloud video...lol. That's a great combo, chingu yah. My imagination is flying straight to the beach location they're filming now. It's like those drone planes. :P Can't believe I'm promoting this drama on my IG. I've never done it with any dramas. Not even the great ones on my list....lol. My first. 

Archived