[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

In my opinion, the clues they gave us definitely work now that we know who the husband is and they weren't just doing for the sake of the show...

The only part that definitely doesn't match is the future husband's personality, they should've just made the choice earlier so they could tell him how to act and not let the personality look so much like Junghwan's...

I don't want to bash the writers, but let's be honest here. The news reported that they hadn't made the choice of who the husband was like 2 weeks ago. If that's not bad writing, I don't know what is. At the very least, it's bad execution. They could have made the future husband's personality very neutral if they hadn't chosen yet but they didn't.

They should have left out the future scenes entirely and I would have been totally satisfied with the writing then. This drama is great but they really wanted to fish for viewers. It was easy to be delusional, but there is also a difference when the writers make that choice of putting bait in front of you so you think a certain way as well.

If Taek is the husband, I have no qualms about it. But they really should have thought it out a little better, next time please...

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, supreme1 said:

I get what you mean but... I don't think the one you replied to was a hate post though xD not that the person was like "i hate DS she should have chosen JH" or anything ^^ the writer is such a troll though even right before Taek kissed DS she was like "i thought we were friends" *sigh* so yeah I think people are justified in feeling frustrated LOL 

Yeah, I totally agree that people are justified to feel frustrated. I was on Team Chilbong in Reply 1994 so I understand how it feels lol </3

I just hope people will be able to differentiate with being sad about their ship and hating on the writers/characters (and I'm not only talking about people on this forum I also mean people on other discussion sites like Dramabeans, NB, Kkuljaem). Reply 1988 is such a beautiful drama about family and friendship so I hope we can remember it as that, instead of just a husband-hunt haha

7 minutes ago, eyjooniesh said:

i absolutely agree with this, how can sweet and adorable guy like choi taek who admire deoksun so much become the prickly husband like in the one in the present ?  if he the husband, then the writer must explain us how his character changes drastically like that

Yup I'm not saying this drama is bad. This is the best family drama I've ever watched till today. But once again I sad this is gonna be the worst "ending" if the end game is TK. That's all. 

9 minutes ago, otomame said:

I don't have any problem with people disliking a ship and voicing their opinions (as long as they're not just hate-posts, which my post was directed to). It annoys me that people keep on ignoring Deoksun and her feelings. I understand that JHxDS shippers are sad but they only seem to focus on Junghwan and his unrequited love. I'm #TeamDeoksun so I just want to stand up for her and her feelings a bit

I apologise if I came off too harsh though, I don't want anyone to feel attacked

GIRL ME TOO.  There are at least TWO OF US!  I don't care about Team JH or Team TK.  I am Team DS. She likes Taek, and that's why I'm going to support her love. People are way too focused on seeing everything from Junghwan's POV and not hers.  While for JH, DS is his EVERYTHING...for DS, he's not her first love, or her first kiss, or the only friend she has a bickering relationship with.  He's very special to her obviously, but what they could have had has passed. 

JH also not getting the girl does not mean his character arc was ignored or swept under the rug.  He had one of the most memorable scenes in the whole drama last week. He was given closure to his feelings.  He has beautiful scenes this week with his family, and has great friends.   His character is as amazing as he was before,but now he learned a lesson about what to do the next time he falls in love.  I do think that's a satisfactory arc for him. 

Woohoo! We're now at the final stretch~~ 

Final Episode Text Preview: "Annyeong, My Youth. Goodbye Ssangmundong"

The neighborhood turns upside down when they learn of Sunwoo and Bora dating.

Goodbye Ssangmundong. One moving truck comes to the alley. Which family will be the first to leave Ssangmundong?

Carrying family love of those times, warmth between neighbors, brilliance of youth, and pain, flutter, and joy of first love... with all that, it's now time to return to reality. May those times have been happy. Thank you for having joined us. 

NOTE: "Annyeong" can be hello or goodbye. Not clear here.

instead of just who the heck is the future husband ...

can we instead GUESS who's the actor/actressses that going to play the adult counterparts of the other characters...

more importantly... the second husband option (taek/JH), DR and SW and Jinjoo too

even the parents.. I wonder if they're still alive (hope so)

19 minutes ago, Fezy Fi said:

thank you to those who wrote the live cap

and to the one who called me rude, i find those who are not respecting the story and how the writers chose to write it, is even more rude.

seriously, this is fiction. just because your desired ship does not materialise, you opt to be disrespectful to the story and still wishes for your ship to sail? I applaud the spirit.

Yes, please, don't bash the scriptwriter, if you listened to the analysis and gave us a chance, you would know that from the beginning they were already set. From the start where taek bonded with her father to the book she read, they were all connected. This is a reply franchise were talking about, where they plan even the tiniest details for the story and setting. Don't downplay their hard work like that. 

19 minutes ago, eyjooniesh said:

i absolutely agree with this, how can sweet and adorable guy like choi taek who admire deoksun so much become the prickly husband like in the one in the present ?  if he the husband, then the writer must explain us how his character changes drastically like that

His dad said last episode that baduk had changed him.  And the guy actually can be sarcastic and snippy with DS at times even now.  30 years later you can't see how he could change a bit? 

Reply_1988_E17_720p_WITH_mkv_snapshot_01

Reply_1988_E17_720p_WITH_mkv_snapshot_01

To those saying that it doesn't add up to Taek's character for the future husband:

We're you the same person when you were 30-10 years younger? did you act the same way? 

What was the purpose of the scene when DS was teaching him to swear? After that many years together, don't you think he'll develop his own personality in merged with hers? she's literally one of his only bestfriends and girlfriend. There's no other reason why he cant. All the clues that points him as the future husband are not red herrings, theyre actual hints that many ignored and now theyre confused in return.

Hi Silent lurker and first time here. Just saw the raw of TK and JH scene at the airbase.  

Not sure if it's been translated already. 

Jung Hwan actually stopped TK from saying anything more and he said "u are still going about this? Aigoo, just Grab Deok Sun already" and smiled. 

He looked totally at peace. 

And finally so am I. I can now watch the rest of the episodes supporting TK and DS. 

It doesn't matter who you and I love. What matter is who DS love? She loves TK and TK is a damn fine catch too. Why not be happy with it as a side viewer and enjoy this beautiful story? Not just the family part (which is awesome and the best I ever seen in years), the love stories are beautiful too. BR and SW got an unexpected love, JB and MO got the first sight love, and DS and TK got the my love is my bestfriend love. DS and TK are seriously lucky. They don't have to go through that awkward first date (like CITT) and explaining about them and their life again, since they both had known that and love that part of each other too. 

I think to say the end ef this drama is the worst because DS doesn't end up with JH is not fair for the production crews, specially writer-nim. In real life too, just because you love that person very much doesn't mean you get that person as your partner or get their hearts for that matter. A one sided love is just that, one sided. I hope JH too get a happy ending. He's a good man, he deserves a good girl who love him very much too. Too push him with DS when DS heart already belong to TK is a bit cruel too, don't you think? It's a different matter if there's a plot twist. But reading the live recap (thank you so much recappers) it's highly unlikely. But I'll tell you my thought again when I've seen this ep if you interested. 

This drama consist a lot of characters, not just JH. To called this drama has the worst ending is just bad to me, because I come to love each and every characters in Reply 1988, not just JH. 

It's a beautiful drama with a beautiful story. Hands down. 

I absolutely agree with @juniper_.
It's more about the frustrating execution than who's the husband. Lbr, the husband's personality doesn't (or didn't) match with Taek at all. I don't think they got "swayed by public opinion" but, yeah, felt indecisive :/

Lol, JH is chillbonger than chillbong himself. poor dude.. Kokoro hurts! T_T lol

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Time needed to get over hurt kokoro lol

Eh, well, whatever. Personally I never liked Taek as a character but he's adorable :3
Ain't watching last 2 episodes but congrats to Taek-DS shippers! :D 

Bye~ ^_^

2 hours ago, juniper_ said:

In my opinion, the clues they gave us definitely work now that we know who the husband is and they weren't just doing for the sake of the show...

The only part that definitely doesn't match is the future husband's personality, they should've just made the choice earlier so they could tell him how to act and not let the personality look so much like Junghwan's...

I don't want to bash the writers, but let's be honest here. The news reported that they hadn't made the choice of who the husband was like 2 weeks ago. If that's not bad writing, I don't know what is. At the very least, it's bad execution. They could have made the future husband's personality very neutral if they hadn't chosen yet but they didn't.

They should have left out the future scenes entirely and I would have been totally satisfied with the writing then. This drama is great but they really wanted to fish for viewers. It was easy to be delusional, but there is also a difference when the writers make that choice of putting bait in front of you so you think a certain way as well.

If Taek is the husband, I have no qualms about it. But they really should have thought it out a little better, next time please...

Not sure but I think there were clues that were hinting that Taek could still change his personality in the future. Just like what I mentioned in my previous post, it was the wish of his dad for him to be able to say what he feels and be irritable like the other kids. There is a possibility that Taek will still change his personality. DS already taught her some words like wen yeol which he now uses regularly (SW even noticed it!) so what more if he really is the husband. 

A part of me wanted JH not to get the girl (depiste me being a JH/DS shipper) because I thought the portrayal of timing, lost love and choice was so beautifully done. The crying in the car, the confession and the flashbacks were just so beautifully done... And also because it does happen in real life. For me, it just could not be more realist than that. Missing one's chance and things being over like that...

I guess you truly have to be careful what you wish for right..... ;)

He he...

I am sad but I am also happy. Kuddos to Writer-nim for writing such a beautiful portrayal of failed love.

Now I am still looking forward to seeing tomorrow's episode despite my broken heart.

Let's all respect each other. One last episode: let's wish for the best for all shippers. I still want a JH and DS closure scene, like a talk or them bickering again to show us that they are still friends.

6 minutes ago, Nikkaquarian said:

To those saying that it doesn't add up to Taek's character for the future husband:

We're you the same person when you were 30-10 years younger? did you act the same way? 

What was the purpose of the scene when DS was teaching him to swear? After that many years together, don't you think he'll develop his own personality in merged with hers? she's literally one of his only bestfriends and girlfriend. There's no other reason why he cant. All the clues that points him as the future husband are not red herrings, theyre actual hints that many ignored and now theyre confused in return.

agree with this. i;m a mrried woman. even 5 years of marriege i can see how my husband change and how i change. we both like "mix". it is said that couple became similar as time goes by. So, i don't how the future husband doesn't match with TK character. Even future NL said that how come DS having more temper than BR

I accept this ending. I ship Deok Sun and Junghwan to the ends of the ocean and I'm obviously the one who's ship has sunk here but unlilke some others I think there will be no surprise or twist and I don't want there to be one. To me it feels a bit empty and like for much of it, Taek was in the backseat of his own love story but maybe I was just missing what was being thrown out there. There cannot be a twist because that is soooo unfair to Taek/Deok Sun shippers and also Junghwan/Deok Sun shippers and honestly what would have been the point of today's episode? No that would have been a waste of time and I do not accept that. TAEK IS THE HUSBAND. HE HAS TO BE. HE IS IT.

I just now want a bittersweet goodbye from Deok Sun to Junghwan. I want a scene like the one where Najeong thanked Chilbong and let him go. I need her to just...I just need a final good-bye. I loved episode 18 as the book end of Junghwan's first love, but I still need that goodbye from Deok Sun or it's all going to eat me up at night. I am still going to watch the last episode. I don't blame the writers or PD or feel they were influenced by anything other than the story they wanted to tell and have told. Let's not do that. If I get that goodbye, I can watch the show 1000 times and reveal in the heart break, but without it.....it's just I need that writer please just grant me that one handshake and goodbye from Deok Sun...

Archived