[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

4 minutes ago, estherlim said:

Am I the only one? Since the 1st lead, 2nd lead, Doc Song, junior solider, onew are all taken up, I am starting to think that the Hospital Director is quite a good catch too! Like it when it is shown in ep 13  that he is realty concern about MY! He even ask her why she never board the plane that is send to pick her up.  Think he is a case of rich brat turns good.  I wonder if he will appear in the next 3 episode. :-p

agreed. I think when the earthquake hit he felt like a real heel for having sent his people there and that is why he worked so hard to bring them back. His apology seemed genuine and he did not make her grovel for her job. in fact he gave her a very good position well suited to her skills instead of being the VIP doctor. I think the actor is doing a good job of making him seem like a human being. yes one with some serious flaws but not unbelievably awful which is what the dingbat surgeon is. I wonder if she is going to operate on our man and redeem herself?

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, joongkyo said:

I was just thinking, may be YSJ getting shot serves as a dual purpose for the writers. Firstly, since they're not stationed in Uruk anymore - it's not like a super busy army officer and his super busy doctor girlfriend would be able to see each other as frequently in the earlier episodes. So, it makes sense that him being shot would be a plot device for the two to be able to spend more one on one time. That takes care of two issue - believability that the two get to spend so much time in Seoul and the deepening of emotions *if they weren't deep enough already*

Also, I obviously don't think SJ is going to die and as much as I like the idea of MY being so tough that the soldiers keep calling her a real soldier. I don't see her joining the army, I don't see the need to....I mean she can be jus as tough a doctor working in just about any hospital because like she said, the amount of casualties seen by a doctor in a big general hospital is probably way more than say an army doctor unless the army doctor is serving in a war situation. Plus, how does MY ensure that every time she's stationed along with SJ's troop? It's not like the two can dictate terms to higher army officials to station them to places together...lol.

I think that scene of MY with the kids will probably be the next volunteer mission they take, like a follow up to see how things are in Uruk. Remember those pictures of SHK, Onew and maknae nurse at the airport wearing winter clothes. That's probably them leaving for Uruk -- I mean we just have to have another scene with Onew and his favourite kid from that blackey village. 

Which is probably how the series will end, with SJ visiting her in Uruk and them going back to the beach as a couple. Because technically though SJ came back to Uruk with that white pebble, they never landed up at the beach. And, the belief was that the white pebble brings a people back to the beach.

@joongkyo i like what you said about YSJ being shot that serves as a dual purpose in a potential plot change. I do always see YSJ as a soldier although a part of me is hoping that him getting shot would also have him thinking of a less dangerous occupation. KMY may have already accepted that part of his life, but if he keeps on getting badly hurt like this, would she be able to stay strong?

I was kinda hoping that YSJ would consider being transferred to a non-special forces unit or be a training instructor similar to what SDY did. I think it may be too extreme for him to give up army life. It's soooo hard to guess what will happen next or even for me to identify what I would want to happen next. I'm a bit torn with playing the safe card where YSJ changes career, but at the same time I don't want him to do that. I also don't see KMY joining the army - I agree with you on that!

I just hope we get to see them happy and together and enjoying the tranquility of the Uruk beach that they visited before. Simply put I jsut want a happy ending for our sweet "fist-bump" couple.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, missling1 said:

@sanaeozora: I read it somewhere that it wasn't confirmed as in the conversation YSJ & KMY had at the cinema in ep2 about how to address each other, whether she's a nuna or he's an oppa... they were teasing each other and didn't provide a definite conclusion, so it can turn either way up... it was stated that the writer left it up to individual's imagination/discretion. I'll try to find that article/report again...:) or i maybe wrong, pls correct... hope i'm not imagining reading it haha

@ilwoo_aein: Has your preference change to SJK? I thought I remembered it as Joo Won? hmm maybe not... eyes, brain not functioning properly :sweatingbullets:

I agree.  In that scene when they are at the movies, and it's not confirmed one way or the other who is older/younger.  He said she must know his age and asks hers, and she jokingly calls him oppa and then he wants to see her ID to make sure she's not a minor...so yeah. Either way, they are probably around the same age. 

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, missling1 said:

@sanaeozora: I read it somewhere that it wasn't confirmed as in the conversation YSJ & KMY had at the cinema in ep2 about how to address each other, whether she's a nuna or he's an oppa... they were teasing each other and didn't provide a definite conclusion, so it can turn either way... it was stated that the writer left it up to individual's imagination/discretion. I'll try to find that article/report again...:) or i maybe wrong, pls correct... hope i'm not imagining reading it haha

If that were the case (which I believe you when you say it is), then why bother showing Mo-yeon's birthdate and having Shi-jin telling the director his birth year and star sign? I just wish they just said who is older than who, I don't even know why this bothers me so much but it kind of does...I can't help it...

• Like 6

Sorry if it's a re-post

Ji Seung Hyeon (acting Senior Lieutenant Ahn Jung Joon) updated his IG - pic taken of him & SJK when they were both standing outside the door guarding at Koryo Hotel, PyeongYang before naengmyeon lunch break... gosh even he has an instagram account:lol:

*Two smart looking guys in suit!* :phew:

• Like 15

just wanna write this before i go back home and stream for ep 14 ^^;;

episode 13 has several scene of SJK using more of his left hand to hide his cast on the right hand  (SJK was injured during the running scene on the basement, cmiiw) , so i guess PD-nim/editors/KES might have made some changes from the original script. But i still love this episode (along with the PPL things :D )

for those who asked bout the first A-list stars who refused the script, one of them was SHK's ex namja chingu aka Hyun Bin :P (and my first reaction was: why on earth did he rejected it!!)

see you in few hours Troopers! ^^

• Like 8

Just want to say thank you in advance to all the live recappers - won't be able to stream live tonight, but will surely keep refreshing Soompi on my ipad. I want to believe that YSJ will survive, although I'm a little bothered by the stills of KMY resuscitating him, and he's not even on an Oxygen mask! Hmmm.

Anyway looking forward to Ep 14, and uri @Ahpheng, babe loving your comic strips as usual.

• Like 5

Yay!!! Looks like the holiday that KBS planned to send the entire team of DOTS has been confirmed. That means more pictures for all of us even after the drama is over. Hopefully SongSong will be able to make it since they're the people with the most problematic schedule adjustment, I think most of the other cast and staff will definitely be going!.

4 days and 3 nights!!!!~~~~ yippee and  @gigivillaceran shared this on SHK's thread, so thanks!

【劇集/Drama】160407 太陽的後裔團隊旅行/ Descendants of the Sun Team Travel

main translation: they are going on a four-day-three night trip, starting late April.

cr: http://www.allthatstar.com/tw/view.php…

by admin j

safe_image.php?d=AQDitu9WoQ4rC13V&w=470&

4月7日,據圈內知情人士透露,由演員宋仲基、宋慧教等主演的KBS 2TV水木劇《太陽的後裔》正在熱播,隨著該劇收視率屢創新高,KBS決定對主演和劇組工作人員進行獎勵休假。 當天,該人士在接受記者採訪時...
M.ALLTHATSTAR.COM

• Like 13

I'll be HAPPY if YSJ and KMY will get a happy ending. They can meet up again in Uruk...visit the shipwreck beach to complete the pebble revelation.

coods.jpg

I'll be SUPER-HAPPY if they will get marry on April 14 or April 22 (special episode)  ....they look so lovely in wedding attires in this fan-edit.

12070787_1564154860543818_1369176707_n.j

I'll be SUPER-DUPER-HAPPY if they will have a little happy family of their own....such a cute clip of them all smiling.

BUT I'll trust the writer-nims to end the story satisfactory.

CRTO / as tagged

@joongkyo That's great news. I hope DOTS team will have a great time and hope both SHK & SJK can make it too,

@foodie27 Talk about those deadly weekly cliff hangers, today we may get the worst one of all. How to survive till next week :bawling:

• Like 16

I swear these cliff hangers are the death of me!!!!  :skull:

First week they gave us the helicopter ones. Thats ok because the DotS syndrome hadn't hit me hard yet

Spoiler

2lYRrNe.gifxU1Eih3.gif

tumblr_o0d0vySxcn1taa1z6o3_400.gif

JOlDs1O.gifqp3wPGY.gif5hd0K5Z.gif

Then the second week they were like, 'pffft who cares about their hearts, we'll leave them with an angina today'.

Spoiler

"So save him"

tumblr_o3hlvzRPi21v0kjkmo1_400.giftumblr_o3hlvzRPi21v0kjkmo2_400.gif

"You must really want this badly", "I'll find a way to drink it".

tumblr_o3ie3zNYAe1rwhs1xo2_540.giftumblr_o3ie3zNYAe1rwhs1xo1_540.giftumblr_o3ie3zNYAe1rwhs1xo4_540.giftumblr_o3ie3zNYAe1rwhs1xo3_540.gif

Good old week three left us with a disaster...literally 

Spoiler

"Should I confess or apologise?"

tumblr_o3s5lzMe6w1uezol6o5_540.giftumblr_o3s5lzMe6w1uezol6o1_540.giftumblr_o3s5lzMe6w1uezol6o2_540.giftumblr_o3s5lzMe6w1uezol6o3_540.gif

*Cue angina*

tumblr_o3tvvyehqF1r1fzv0o1_400.giftumblr_o3tvvyehqF1r1fzv0o2_400.giftumblr_o3tvvyehqF1r1fzv0o3_400.giftumblr_o3tvvyehqF1r1fzv0o4_400.giftumblr_o3tvvyehqF1r1fzv0o5_400.giftumblr_o3tvvyehqF1r1fzv0o6_400.giftumblr_o3tvvyehqF1r1fzv0o7_400.giftumblr_o3tvvyehqF1r1fzv0o8_250.gif

Forget anginas, hello myocardial infarction!

Spoiler

I missed you a lot though. No matter what I do, I think of you. I expended my body, made a great effort, drank alcohol and did everything I could, but I still missed you a lot.

tumblr_o450gl3dF11r1fzv0o1_400.giftumblr_o450gl3dF11r1fzv0o2_400.gif

Well played DotS, well played

tumblr_o476d12WSh1qfakbgo6_r1_400.giftumblr_o476d12WSh1qfakbgo5_r2_400.giftumblr_o476d12WSh1qfakbgo1_400.giftumblr_o476d12WSh1qfakbgo4_r3_400.giftumblr_o476d12WSh1qfakbgo2_r1_400.giftumblr_o476d12WSh1qfakbgo8_r1_400.giftumblr_o476d12WSh1qfakbgo7_400.giftumblr_o476d12WSh1qfakbgo3_r1_400.gif

Did anyone order a side of Strokes and TIAs for week five? No, just me, ok. 

Spoiler

tumblr_o4j7ts6vk61v0kjkmo1_500.giftumblr_o4j7ts6vk61v0kjkmo3_500.giftumblr_o4j7ts6vk61v0kjkmo2_500.gif

:scream::tired::weary:

tumblr_o4l27s7Jby1sn6rzqo1_400.giftumblr_o4l27s7Jby1sn6rzqo2_400.giftumblr_o4l27s7Jby1sn6rzqo3_400.giftumblr_o4l27s7Jby1sn6rzqo4_400.giftumblr_o4l27s7Jby1sn6rzqo5_400.giftumblr_o4l27s7Jby1sn6rzqo6_400.giftumblr_o4l27s7Jby1sn6rzqo7_400.giftumblr_o4l27s7Jby1sn6rzqo8_400.gif

Um excuse me ep 11! I was not prepared for YSJ in black uniform!

Spoiler

(I'm sorry, I couldn't be bothered finding the one of him in the car so this will do haha)tumblr_o4wcdmXC1T1u8orq4o1_500.giftumblr_o4wcdmXC1T1u8orq4o2_500.giftumblr_o4wcdmXC1T1u8orq4o3_500.giftumblr_o4wcdmXC1T1u8orq4o4_500.giftumblr_o4wcdmXC1T1u8orq4o6_500.gif

Thank you universe for giving us a respite in intensive care to recover our body and soul...well whats left of it anyway hahaha. Hallelujah!tumblr_o51zf3KynR1r9r5vwo6_1280.pngtumblr_o51zf3KynR1r9r5vwo9_1280.png12953258_10204602546783137_271050867_o.p

Oh yup, just hit us with a bus, train, car, truck, plane, boat, bike, bird and send us to palliative care and see us die while we wait in agony 

Spoiler

Shhh. Did you hear that? It was my heart breaking into pieces.

EBE101L.gif

Peace out troopers. Gotta go buy me some tissues

@IrisFM You have a shovel? If not I suggest you go buy one. Now go outside, dig yourself a hole and then lie in it. You may now commence operation hibernation in a self dug grave  :joy:

• Like 18

I am not sure has anyone point this out or not, but remembering Captain YSJ's words to KMY's omma that THEY will come together and meet her again officially when they're sober maybe can be another proof or point to ponder to calm us down that YSJ will survive the gun shooting so fighting everyone!!! No pun intended though ;)

Ah I just can't leave this thread anymore. It has been years since I last camped in a K-drama thread here in Soompi every Wed and Thurs :) Again, thank you in advance to all live recappers! I am looking forward for your update. Salute! :) 

• Like 9

Guest Tinkiebell

Confession: I haven't watched episode 13 yet. And judging by the look of it, I don't think I'd be able to watch episode 13 and 14 before Sunday. Ugh... :(

But, I've read your live recaps and your insights, as well as watched some clips that some of you have posted.

About YAI's cameo. I remember someone had already pointed out (I think it was @joongkyo) that there is no way he could be the MinGi Oppa that both KMY and YMJ were arguing over, because MinGi Oppa is supposed to be a Sunbae to both of them at the medical school, so he's supposed to be a Doctor, while it had already been publicized way before that YAI was going to cameo as a bank teller. But we still fell for it :D 

Talking about Oppa, it's still not clear if YSJ is the Oppa or KMY is the Noona, but one thing has always been clear to me: whichever it is, whatever his age is, YSJ (aka SJK) will always be an Oppa to me, bwaha! :phew: (In Ahn Yona's style: "If you're handsome, you're my Oppa!"

And and.. remember many many pages ago how some of us were fantasizing over the face-off between YSJ and the hospital chairman? So it finally happened in episode 13. I'm pretty sure the scene was somewhat gorier in our minds. :P In our minds the scene had probably involved some taekwondo kicks and punches by our Cap'n, but of course it didn't go exactly how we imagined it to be because

1) YSJ is YSJ, always the perfect gentleman, and the reason why we love this character :wub:

2) KES has always managed to throw an oddball at us; she managed to turn that douchebag of a chairman that we saw in episode 2 to actually be a sympathetic character (Ok, I haven't watched the episode yet, but this is from what I read in this thread)? Bravo. 

@foodie27, I know, right? Every cliffhanger in this series is so dramatic and exciting :) 

I just finish watching 13. 

If china not allowed them to broadcast about the fight. 

Its better south korean still not cut the scene where yoo shi jin fight with north korean. huftt.. Its always okay with other fight korean drama, but why this one should be cut?

i really wanted to see the fight, how SJ and DY could be lose to 1 men. Its impossible for 2 person who actually secret soldiers, lose fight with one man. Grrr.. 

Btw, i just dont want to make dramatic worries. Because this is drama. Lol yoo shi jin will survive, as the main lead and the face of descendants of the sun. He will okay Chingus..

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, sanaeozora said:

Quick note about the PPL: I think the issue here is not the amount of PPL during the last episode but, rather, the lack of it during the previous ones based in Uruk. I still think that the way PPL is being handled in DotS is not so bad, at least is not incredibily blatant and it tends to integrate into what's happening in the drama, and to me it doesn't feel like the writers are pushing themselves too much to try and integrate the products they want to advertise.

And last but not least, as many of you have said it already: for a drama of this quality, a lot of money is needed and if I need to see Mo-yeon and Shi-jin eating a sandwitch in Subway in every episode, that's fine by me. Also, I found that Mo-yeon's choice of sandwitch was hilariously complicated...a lot like she is! ;) 

i'm with you. i'm ok with the PPL scene in ep 13. but i'm freak out with the PPL for kissing while driving special force style though. i'm feel confused while watching this ep without sub with sub but  enjoy it with sub.

since drama is kinda slice of life so i enjoy this episode although not much action going on. plot wise, it might be boring but character wise especially the main otp, show how much  their relationship and interaction evolve from a stage from past episode to other stage in this episode.

• Like 8

Guest Tinkiebell

By the way, Ep13 viewing party (with subs) is happening right now in #DescendantsOfTheSun channel in Slack's Soompi chat.

Feel free to join if you want :) 

I have one question. When the Subway cashier asked Captain YSJ how he would like to pay, what is he showing there on his smartphone? A coupon from Subway? Or his credit card? Or what? I am sorry if the question sounds a bit dumb LOL! ^_^

• Like 2