[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

@dotsj00ngki  "The three-part special will air the following week for three days, from April 20 to 22 at 10 p.m. KST. The broadcasts on April 20 and 21, the special will focus on highlighting some of the most important scenes of the drama by re-editing them while the last part of the special set to air on April 22 consists of an epilogue showing viewers a glimpse of the future between the onscreen couple of Song Joong-Ki and Song Hye-Kyo and a behind-the-scenes making video of the drama. " source

viewimage.php?id=26bfc335f0dc&no=29bcc42

Spoiler

viewimage.php?id=26bfc335f0dc&no=29bcc42

cr as tagged

• Like 24

GUYSSS

I CANT BELIEVE THIS IS THE END OF DOTS!

well.. even another 3 extra episodee but still T.T 

i'm very sadd... what we gonna do on next Wednesdayyyyy

;~: ;~: ;~: i dont have anything to look forward anymore ;~~~~~; 

anyway thanks writer for the clean and neat ending :)

and now i want to looking for HQ picture of Song Joong Ki in the desert!! LOL

• Like 8

9 hours ago, bakegyamon said:

The weird thing is why both of our soldiers didnt get a departmet store's call during ep 16? :D

and the story about YSJ SDY being prisoned wasnt being portrayed well. Where did they go and why did they being prisoned? How did they recover in the prison, and how did lieutnant Ahn know?

need 4 more episode to tell the story clearly :D kekekeeek... 

• Like 2

I still haven't started my ritual to back read the tread, still on cloud nine. Lol, now listeing to Xi Junsu's song, it's on repeat since this morning. This is the sweetest song I ever heard. And the MV, oh god, it compiles  almost all of my faves scene in DotS, the first time they met, after the car hanging on the cliff how she stares at him lovingly, how SJ draws heart shape on MY cheek  using his gun with that fascinated expression on his face as if MY is the most beautiful thing he ever laid his eyes on, the wine kiss, hays on the hair scene, gas station kiss how she lifts her shoulder when he kisses her, the truck kiss and the clock tower kiss, ahhh...

What a beautiful memories, despite all the flaws this drama has I can only remember the good things this drama gave me. This morning I woke up with a special happy feeling with huge smile on my face and all through the afternoon I feel so great I can't stop smiling. Wherever I go the ost especially Junsu's song always on repeat, I feel so light and contended. 

Such a wonderful journey I have with all of you guys here discussing the episodes, squeling on the sweet scenes, getting angry with the bad guys, irritated by the not making any sense scenes, but above all of those we love this drama and what this drama gave us is the beautiful feelings. I feel so lucky to be part of this treat to follow this one of a kind drama, my very first drama I follow while it is airing.

I can't thank you enough for sharing everything here, I can't mention one by one afraid I might miss one of you, thank you and I love you all :D 

PS: this is not a goodbye, lol, we still have many things ahead of us. I just feel so happy and just need to let it out. Fighting DotS Troopers!!!

• Like 20

I cant imagine what KMY reaction will be like if YSJ fanboying Sistar, Exid, or AOA (all girl group with sexy concept). I really apreciated RV become cameo, because recently there are news about RV is the most popular girl group among Korean soldier. This drama was post production, but KES knew that RV will become the most popular. Wow, daebak!

http://www.soompi.com/2016/04/08/red-velvet-discuss-their-popularity-with-soldiers-for-high-cut/

What is the meaning of DoTS? That's about dedication, responsibility, team work, humanity, and patience. Despite the story is not heavy, but really meaningfull. Waiting for another Kdrama with good story and waiting for DoTS cast a new project. Thanks to KBS, KES, the director, all cast and crew who have worked hard for this drama.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, dotsj00ngki said:

if someone would be kind enough to reply to this, I was wondering what the special 3 part episodes are? like are they just a collection of BTS stuff, or are the 3 specials like bonus episodes with drama footage that hasn't been aired? thank you in advance chingus:blush:

If i'm not mistaken it will contain bts pic..some director cut...edited scenes and the most exciting is some naration epilogue about what happen to YSJ, KMY maybe SDY also YMJ too after the show ended. Hope this answer :) 

• Like 10

CgDvFwFUkAE1GFK.png

cto

The First, the Best and the Worst records of "Descendants of the Sun"

2016/04/14

photo713551.jpg

"Descendants of the Sun" ended on the 14th and it left behind the Best, the First and the Worst drama moments.

"Descendants of the Sun" was the first successful China and Korea released drama that was pre-produced. It's also the first miniseries to have broken through 30% in 4 years.

However, if there's a Yin, there's a Yang. The drama contained a lot of PPL towards the later half.

Spoiler

photo713552.jpg

- The First

Got through in Korea, the first pre-produced drama that made it big

There was doubt. Pre-production was doubtful although the drama consisted of Song Joong-ki, Song Hye-kyo and it was written by star writer Kim Eun-sook.

It's Korean sentiment to apply viewers' reactions the drama as it goes. Therefore, a pre-produced drama was hard to be successful.

However, "Descendants of the Sun" did it.

"Descendants of the Sun" left a good precedent so following pre-produced dramas would have it easy. There are 5 more coming up later this year.

Between SBS "Saimdang, the Herstory", "Time Slip: Ryeo", KBS "Uncontrollably Fond", "Flower Knights: The Beginning" and "My Sassy Girl - Drama", which one will follow the steps of "Descendants of the Sun".

Simultaneous broadcasting in China and Korea was successful.

photo713553.jpg

The production sold the copyrights to "Descendants of the Sun" to China for 2,500,000 dollars per episode. The remake was a successful deal too and gave notice of a Chinese version of "Descendants of the Sun".Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-kyo are going to be in the middle of the reigniting of Hallyu.

The simultaneous broadcasting in China was possible thanks to Iqiyi, a video site. According to Iqiyi, "Descendants of the Sun" recorded a total of 2.6 billion views.

However, since Iqiyi is a VIP membership system, once "Descendants of the Sun" is converted to be entirely free, the page views are expected to soar. The production collects sales according to accumulated numbers.

Meanwhile, the Chinese version of "Descendants of the Sun" expressed North Korea as an imaginary nation.

Spoiler

photo713554.jpg

- The Best

The first miniseries in 4 years to break through 30%

The response to this unconventional drama was hot and it was unrivaled.

"Descendants of the Sun" started off with a bang and drew in viewers of ages 20~30 and even teenagers.

Viewers anticipated the next episode as the drama went on and more and more started to watch the actual broadcast rather than the replay. The numbers rose and broadcasting stations were speechless at the rate "Descendants of the Sun" was going at.

"Descendants of the Sun" went over 20% by the third episode and by the ninth episode, over 30%. This is the first miniseries in 4 years to have stepped over 30%.

"Descendants of the Sun" set new records 12 times. There was no competition to begin with and the drama wrote new history. It looks like the record by "Descendants of the Sun" won't be beat for a while.

Spoiler

photo713550.jpg

The first episode was a great success which resulted hundreds of millions in profits.

"Descendants of the Sun" took 13 billion won to make. However, it broke even with just the first episode and that is thanks to pre-sales and PPL.

The drama has been sold to over 32 countries including England and France. Chinese Satellite TV is currently engaged in discussions for a Chinese remake version of the drama.

The production is preparing an OST concert and MD business using the characters from the drama. A photo essay of the classic scenes and lines will be published on the 20th.

Production company NEW earned a profit of 50 billion won through "Descendants of the Sun".

Even broadcasting stations are happy about the results. Channel commercials of "Descendants of the Sun" has been sold out and replays will lead to even bigger profits.

- The Worst

"Descendants of PPL", overload of advertisements

The intensity of product placement advertisement was serious towards the later part of the drama. Since the thirteenth episode where the drama converts from Uruk to Korea, PPL exploded.

The characters ate almonds and sandwiches in the morning but they paid for it with a payment function. They only drank one kind of coffee and the camera always had a medicine clay pot in the angle.

The worst was the car. Seo Dae-yeong (Jin Goo) suddenly started kissing Yoon Myeong-joo (Kim Ji-won-I) but of course, with 'auto-drive' in mode.

There was always the consumption of health products and wearing certain accessories but the drama worsened in terms of PPL and in the worst ways.

Spoiler

photo713549.jpg

Viewers would criticize that the PPL in the drama was too much as well.

Meanwhile, "Descendants of the Sun" increased sales of 3 billion won thanks to PPL. Obviously, the PPL companies are having a good time with the sales gone up.

The character never dies, Avengers or Zombies?

The main characters don't die. He lived even after he was shot near the heart. He was reported for dead via radio transmitters but he came back alive and well a year later. He said, "I did the hard part".

'He' is Song Joong-ki who played Captain Yoo Si-jin in "Descendants of the Sun".

Song Joong-ki is called the zombie and even immortal. He didn't have a choice as it was for the drama, but it's distracting when the main character never dies and always comes back alive.

Source : joynews.inews24.com/p...

Hancinema

--------------------------

Descendants of the Sun: what after the Grand Finale?

BY ANUSHA VENKAT on APRIL 15, 2016 in VIDEO

Spoiler

It was a happy ending on Thursday night that brought tears to many watching the record-breaking finale of the Korean drama Descendants of the Sun. What next? Episode 16 will not be the end of the drama. After the highly-anticipated finale of Descendants of the Sun that has been a sweet and sweeping success across Asia, there will be a special three-part series that will showcase an epilogue and highlights. However, the special episodes will go on air next week on KBS.

==========================

'Descendants of the Sun' secures 12.2 bln won worth of ad deals

Updated : April 15 2016

"Descendants of the Sun," the just-closed sensational TV series, rewrote the history of commercial success for terrestrial networks' weeknight dramas.

The KBS 2TV's mini-series secured a combined 12.2 billion won ($10.6 million) worth of advertisement deals, including virtual advertising and PPL, according to sources in the broadcasting industry.

Spoiler

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20160415

The sum is close to the show's total production cost of 13 billion won and more than double the number of MBC TV's 2014 hit drama "Pretty Woman."

All 28 fifteen-minute TV commercial spots running before and after the drama were sold out, which is rare for a weeknight series. The number rose to 32 from the 7th episode as the show's viewership rating kept going up.

The situation was the same with advertisement deals for the drama's weekend reruns. All of its 24 fifteen-minute advertisement slots were sold out from March 12 when the fifth and sixth episodes were replayed. The number was later increased to 28 boosted by the show's popularity both in South Korea and China.

The 16-episode drama concluded on Thursday night with 38.8 percent viewership, its highest yet. 

Industry sources say this is a huge success at a time when terrestrial television networks struggle against the waning number of watchers and ever-rising challenges from cable TV programs.

"Before, the average viewership of terrestrial stations' mini-series fell to the 3-5 percent level and it was difficult for them to exceed even the 10-percent mark," an industry official said. (Yonhap)

• Like 23

So it's only me who is bothered with the sloppy editing job in ep 16. Lots of cutting/editing makes the flow of this ep feel so weird, feel like it's rushed. And the sloppy job is unacceptable for a pre-procuded drama like dots, esp. The scene when MY gets ready for a make up in makeup room before her show, right before talking to the MC, she is touching her necklace and obviously she angrily and forcefully take it off, BUT, the next second the necklace is still beautifully sitting on her chest. Bad, bad, bad editing job. THIS has ruined it all for me *headbang*

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mulder9999 said:

it was a good ending.. But the timeline of when they were captured and freed is a bit out...

captured for 155 days is about 5 months... But they have been missing for 1 year.. So what the heck been doing for the last 7 months?

with no contact to their girl friends..?     It's KDrama I know... :)

I will miss DOTS though....I guess my life will return to normal now...

its been 2 months of Soompi, DOTS, Soompi, Dots, each day...

Salute

The deployment was 3 months or so, and they were about to go home, but were shot, and at that point Korea thought they died.

They were captured as POW  and apparently tortured for 150-155 days.  (5 months).   The extent of their injuries we saw were really bad, on top of the bullet injuries.  Infection from untreated bullet wounds would have killed lesser men, not to mention they were hit, tortured.   I am assuming that  their captors probably removed the bullets with them just gritting their teeth, in the interest of keeping them alive, to talk, but still, they could have died..    They were weak, hardly moving, when Ahn rescued them. 

They were probably helped up to a point, made their way to the Allied camp as Ahn was likely not going to give himself away.

Treatment  and therapy  I bet took very long, maybe as long as the capture?   (They would have been deformed where the injuries were,  and there were chances of being catatonic.  but this is k-drama.).  

They were likely able to contact Korea eventually when they were totally healed,  and were  thus able to retrieve and revive their phones, which possibly  were deposited at the camp prior to going to enemy lines, and locate the whereabouts of MY and MJ through people at. HQ.    Then the men made their way from wherever they were, to where their GFs were.

That is the only conclusion that I find plausible.  Am michingol, crazy for DotS that this refused to leave my head for over 12 hours,  even researched a bit.  

• Like 10

1 hour ago, viyra said:

I keep forgetting to mention - if it has already been posted, I apologize - didn't have time to backread,  Kang MoYeon's earrings matched the necklace Yoo SiJin gave her,

Love seeing the commander's surprised face when MJ said she is pregnant,

Oh, and not to forget the rock fish Coronel = dancing along with the other soldiers. 

Looking forward to the next 3 episodes - would be fun to watch scenes that were edited.

yap, earrings and necklace are one set collection from J.ESTINA

• Like 3

after see with eng sub..this drama ending  really good and heartwarming 

not only main couple got happy ending but also the others couple got it

it drama so it will has the flaw, nothing perfect....,but it still the best story-line

soldier and doctor can mixed well if they become considerate and understanding...

the oath of the soldier and doctor is a good scene....watching with sub or not. i still think this scene so touching...

:blush:

DAEBAK TO ALL THE CASTS AND CREW OF DOTS....

BOTH WRITER DID WELL AND DIRECTOR ABLE TO CAPTURE A GREAT CINEMATOGRAPHIC

i did not when i will watch this kind of drama again....gonna miss this thread.

• Like 16

Today, I woke up with a heavy heart...
Don't get me wrong... 

The ending is really good. The best ending infact for the Drama... It shows that live goes on and then some.... it leaves us with a LIGHT and PROUD heart for our beloved character.

But after the heartbreak on Ep. 15, and then the reunion... I really wish that YSJ and KMY were given more time, and more and longer discussion on their separation.. it's not easy on KMY and judging from YSJ's wound and SDY snippets it's NOT easy too for YSJ.... 

Despite all... I can't be prouder to be a fans and viewer of Descendant of the Sun.. this show is the best Drama I've ever watch in the longest time... I will never forget DOTS...

And thank you for all the Dots troopers... without all of your post and insight i think sometimes I am a bit lost ... either lost in translation or lost in the subtle hints.. And all of your insights really brings everything into perspective...
You guys are the best... I really enjoy all the Essays hehe...

The stories is amazing. The cast is amazing...  
And lastly the chemistry of Song-song couple is amazing..
I was hooked with THEIR CHEMISTRY from the get go when I first watch DOTS trailer in December.

Thank you SJK and SHK to bring such a memorable character YSJ and KMY to life.

----
I'm curious to know about the Epilouge, hopefully there will be baby scene hehe...
---
Btw, am I the only who were hoping for Private puppy and Pretty nurse to hook up? 
It's not part of the scheme of thing i guess hehe.. it's just a fun thought... Nurse Ha and Dr Song is already very very adorable... I love them.. haha..

• Like 19

Today was a bittersweet birthday for me.  I feel so empty now.  But I wanted to comment on my favorite scene from epi 16, which is the car wash scene when she got him wet.  The way he leaned in to be hugged because be was cold...that was probably the cutest thing I've seen any grown man do.  The power of Song Joong Ki.  A sexy beast, yet gentle man.  Then the kiss scene...man! Can he kiss or WHAT?!!! His lips are to die for.  And he just kept on going as I'm slowly melting.

Wonderful cast.  Awesome storyline.  Of course, DotS had flaws, but the perfections made up for the few imperfections.  I will forever love DotS.  

• Like 18