[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Just now, smiletall said:

Ah, I thought of this exact scenario. I really hope it doesn't go this route because it would feel so unsatisfactory to me. I would much rather they return together. Or at least not have them be separated for a long period and then have him randomly show up at the end you know? 

But please KES, I hope you are more creative than this. 

Ugh, I would just really hate this type of ending. It feels like a cop out ending to me. Even though it really would be a very typical kdrama thing to do. 

JG said the ending would be satisfactory.

SO I'm hoping his word holds true. 

maybe the ending is on the wrecked ship, i have seen the picture both of them sitting on the deck with casual cloth white-white

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Intan Iin said:

I really hope my baby Chen also perform the OST. part 2 at KBS Music Bank...

Me too! Hope KBS will consider this and both original singer can sing together!! :blush:

2 hours ago, oetoria15 said:

omo....thanks for that info. must watch music bank today. I rarely watch the show but today's the exception. Lol They really should perform the ost on music show, wanna hear it live :phew:

You're welcome!!! haha I only watch Music Bank if SJ comeback only but today I'll watch it because of DOTS OST keke

BTW GUYS!  OFFICIAL PHOTO ALBUM (PHOTOBOOK) WILL RELEASE ON 21 APRIL!!! SOURCE FROM SJKBAR!  I'll put this on strikethrough because no news yet. heee BUT ONE THING! PREPARE YOUR MONEY!!! :D

EDIT: ACCORDING TO NEWS NEWSEN , DOTS OST ALBUM HAS SOLD MORE THAN 20000 COPIES AND THEY WILL PRODUCE MORE FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO BUY ^^ GOOD NEWS AGAIN!! :D

• Like 23

1 minute ago, booho said:

maybe the ending is on the wrecked ship, i have seen the picture both of them sitting on the deck with casual cloth white-white

That was a scene was already broadcast and shown to be KMY's imagination and wishful thinking after she rejected YSJ and he left for Korea and before the earthquake. Kind of like, she wished that would happen. 

It could be alluding to the future. It is KES who is writing this drama haha. 

For now, I don't think it's the end shot. The ending could definitely end up there as we had previously discussed. And I doubt they would show a screenshot of the last scene. But who knows.. 

• Like 8

Congrats for the rating. I hope till the end the rating will up. KES really daebak. Every single episode of DoTS is complete There are funny scene, there are touching scene, and the tears. I cant describe how was my feeling when watching DoTS. About balcony kiss, dont worry guys. Maybe KBS prepare the special episode with zoomed balcony kiss. Beside hug scene, I really like the scene when KMY pretend to be sick, then he confess about her feelling with high note like mother scold her kid (YSJ face was so cute).

For next episode, seems they have target operation in departement store? What happen to YMJ and SDY? Cant wait for Wednesday. Waiting for YSJ said I love You to KMY.

• Like 11

I must be the only one that isn't complaining about balcony scene. In awe, I think it captures the scene beautifully--take a look at the sun setting and also the camera's angles the perfect scenary of Urk-recovering from earthquake etc. I think it is just majestic as it can get.

• Like 7

Those wondering why Argus had to die in the last episode, I would say, Argus belongs to Uruk (only) and the soldiers will be sent off back to Korea.  If YSJ didn't kill him, then he would have more chances of spreading evil in Uruk.  He deserves to die - he wasn't murdered - his death is justified.

I cried when the President acknowledged what the Commander has done, especially when he bowed to the commander.  I was like 'yes, that politician needs to get slapped' - I was waiting for the same thing to happen to the other boss in Uruk who is always screaming.

On a related note - seems like most of the participants in this drama are beginning to get noticed. Jin Goo has been getting CF offers and Kim Min Suk (Kim KiBeom) is being scouted to join We Got Married.  It would be nice if they can get the young ER nurse Choi in it too.

• Like 18

If you are familiar with XMan and the romance between Kim Jong Kook and Yoon Eun Hye, I bet your first thought when Captain SJ covered MY's eyes before shooting Asparagus, was of KJK and YEH in that "Of Course Game" . I did and I love how our writer nim used this in her drama, only in a more dramatic way!! Can the drama be anymore awesome than it already is? Totally unpredictable, dialogues between the two leads go from downright cheesy romantic to absolute melodrama - and without any over-acting from the actors - just a look or a touch can either make you giggle like a schoolgirl or shed a tear way even before the dialogue starts. I hope the entire cast including the supporting ones sweep whatever awards there are out there! 

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, minhye1822 said:

Congrats for the rating. I hope till the end the rating will up. KES really daebak. Every single episode of DoTS is complete There are funny scene, there are touching scene, and the tears. I cant describe how was my feeling when watching DoTS. About balcony kiss, dont worry guys. Maybe KBS prepare the special episode with zoomed balcony kiss. Beside hug scene, I really like the scene when KMY pretend to be sick, then he confess about her feelling with high note like mother scold her kid (YSJ face was so cute).

For next episode, seems they have target operation in departement store? What happen to YMJ and SDY? Cant wait for Wednesday. Waiting for YSJ said I love You to KMY.

I just hope nothing happens to our 2nd OTP! Anticipation yet at the same time dreading what will happen since it looks ominous! ): 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ohoheli said:

i have a hunch that the next villain will be the north korean soldier in the first episode. hahaha.

not even sure if they'll come back to korea though since i have yet to watch ep 12.

Heee..... That can be true..... We know how the north - south situation in reality..... 

Lets dream for a better resolution for north - south situation .... Even in this drama we get to meet the president of our dream .... 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MeandmyCraziness said:

What an awesome awesome episode. KMY is really the perfect woman for YSJ. 

Did YSJ brought up the big 'M' word? If so wow I will take it as a hint for a very happy and satisfying ending.

"What goes around comes around" seems to be applicable in our OTP. If that is the case there's only one puzzle piece that is missing. Since YSJ already saved KMY using his abilities as a soldier then I think the next inevitable thing to happen is for KMY to use her ability as a surgeon to save YSJ. 

DOTS is a rare drama. We are all lucky that we're all able to see this wonderful drama unfold. Waiting for the next episodes to come! ☺

He bought up the "M" word? Omo...where..when...

• Like 6

Why do I have this feeling that Yoo Ah In will be the oppa that MY and MJ are arguing about?

He is guest starring in the drama but there are like 4 more eps to go. So I am assuming he will be taking this role.

I am gonna be in tears once this drama ends...

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, jayyepeee said:

Ohoh! On the subject of soldiers, I really really like how the show portrays them. While soldiers operate behind a backdrop of politics and diplomacy, and are always subject to orders that are beneficial to the country, I love how this show managed to reveal a human side to each of them. Like in the very first scene with the north korean soldiers and they were fighting it out. At the end of it, the north korean soldier had displayed grudging respect for Yoo Shi Jin at his abilities. "Let's meet again, Captain"

Yoo Shi Jin didn't make things difficult for them (just needed to rescue the hostages and extract themselves) and displayed no hostilities towards them. There was a tacit understanding that both were just doing their jobs and are just standing on different sides of the border. 

Same with the American soldiers. At first there was the tussle and a fight, but when it came down to it, there was cooperation. Like when Myung Joo mentioned that the testing for M3 virus can be done at the American base 20 minutes away, I was thinking "oh boy, they need to play politics and negotiate and cut some deals again". But the US soldier just said "A virus outbreak is our problem too" and had showed full cooperation. 

Like in today's episode, what Shi Jin did was obviously against America's stance and yet, the Delta Force captain merely told him that it was great that the hostage was rescued and that they were left with a bunch of paperwork instead of a dead body. 

This show is not about glorifying the military at all. This show is trying tell us that soldiers are more than just representation of their countries, blindly taking orders. It is trying to show us that no matter the nationality, these soldiers are all the same, that we are all humans with emotions, deep down.

Reminds me of the conversation Mo Yeon had with Shi Jin about what patrotism is, and it is also what made Commander Yoon's speech so impactful today. Truly happy I watched DOTS and discovered this gem of a drama. 

It's the American influence.  In the US there used to be a strong current of anti-militarism going back to the Vietnam and Korean Wars.  This was because of the cultural elite (Hollywood, academics even Liberals etc) strongly opposed those wars and thought that they didn't further their interests.  But the past 15 years or so following the Iraq Invasion, there's been a lot of effort put into justifying and supporting military involvement in the Middle East... a lot of those same sectors of society who opposed Militarism when it was trying to influence SE Asia or Central America strongly support involvement in the Middle East to support Israel, crush the political and military reach of Islam etc.  Even in the US there's never been the amount of material or socio-political support for our guys in uniform as today.  That includes stuff like discounts at the mall and preferential hiring for vets and up the line.  In the 70 when ppl thought about US soldiers they'd think of things like My Lai and they'd get spit at by demonstrators.  Art of the period reflected this... for example in Sophia Loren's Two Women there's the scene where Loren's character is blaming the US officer for the gang rape of her daughter.   Today soldiers are heroes and supermen on camera.  After a decade and a half of that portrayal from Hollywood, it transposes even to Korean drama.

What's interesting is that DOTS represents a pretty significant watershed because of the very large role that the Military has had in Korean society.  In fact after tens of thousands of literal murders and atrocities (torture, mass killings etc) Koreans won Democracy in the streets after 3 decades of brutal clashes with the US-backed military dictatorships that held an iron grip on the country.  Think Ferguson on steroids... for decades on end.  The Military wasn't even something that was conducting Unjust Wars in some foreign soil and massacring overseas civilians as for the Americans.  To the Koreans the Military were the brutes they were fighting on the streets of their hometown, who were dragging people off to bloodsoaked interrogations and bashing in college kids' heads.  That the vision of who and what the "Korean Soldier" is... has undergone such a profound and incredible transition shows how interconnected global society and media has become... in fact this overseas narrative is more of a reality for young viewers than even the fairly recent history of their own country.

I mean it's not a coincidence that politically speaking, the portrayal in DOTS has received so much laudatory from both the ultra-Right (military dictator of Thailand) and the Left (Chinese Communist military propaganda department) of the Military spectrum really underscores that point.  It's not POLITICAL, it's basically just a massive jerk of how awesome and important Militarism is as a concept.

Of course Korea has undergone its own transformation since AFC97 and it's no longer run as a dictatorship but the change in attitude is amazing.  Just like in the US prior to the abolishment of the Draft in the 70s when guys literally chose to go into the Army rather than prison to shave time off their criminal records, the Korean Military was a sort of dumping ground for guys who couldn't get any other sort of job in society.  Now they're supermen.  It really shows how frontrunning and follow-the-leader Koreans are when it comes to importing values from America

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, CatWhiskers said:

He bought up the "M" word? Omo...where..when...

At the "double date went bad" scene ..... After preparing the food.. KMY praised him for looking good in apron... And he said "i'm the one you promise to be married right?" .... 

• Like 7