[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

@liddi

"Nooooo! This means I'll have to brave the dubbed version for the correct translation. "

You can mute the audio & read the subtitles

So far the Cantonese version is correct, while the Malay dubbed version said something else while the Malay subtitles puts it as "bunga teluki" which is carnation

I have not seen the Japanese KNTV version yet

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@gerrytan8063 You read Japanese too? Wow... in which case, I am sure you will have no problems if you decide to purchase the DVD/Bluray set on Yesasia. 

Meanwhile, I am at the mercy of GTV and their 草帽花. Wonder if Speedy still distributes DVD sets, and if so, what subs would be available? Perhaps Oh!K subs, both Malay, English and Chinese? It's been years since I last shopped there... time to head over again once the drama ends.  

23 hours ago, jangseo_wanjina said:

That moon metaphor is so beautiful that it needs more time for symbolic analysis. Honestly, I haven't figure it out yet. Will need to watch again and write them down so I can also remember them for a long time.

Quick reply / analysis:

(1) Lee Gyeom is the sun, Saimdang is the moon.

Saimdang drew the early moon on the painting, and Lee Gyeom caresses that moon.

(2) From https://campusconnection.blogspot.com/2017/01/saimdang-lights-diary-synopsis-by-episode.html

Version 1 from Ep 24 Dramacool subs:

Saimdang: “The moon is about to wake up from its nap.”

Lee Gyeom: “The moon’s nap ... What an interesting expression!

Saimdang: “The sun resents the moon that sleeps all day and wakes up later at night. The sun doesn’t know how hard it is for the moon to keep the darkness away alone at night. The sun doesn’t know that the moon is keeping its side.”

Version 2 from Ep 25 Dramacool subs:

The moon must be waking up from its sleep.
The sun sees the moon sleep all day.
So it resents the moon who only wakes up late at night.
The moon is alone late in the dark night.
It faces the darkness and shines on the world.
The sun doesn't realize how hard that is.
The moon is always by the sun's side, protecting it.

@liddi

"You read Japanese too?"

Yes.....my Japanese auditory is more proficient & had longer usage of the language than Korean

As for Hanmi subtitles for Episode 25, they translate Pae Raeng-i (패랭이) as "普格尔"

Preview to the Episode 27 (International version), modern timeline

Madam Sun to Prof Min

Madam Sun: This work of art will forever become & leave an enormous consequences of deceit & infliction for the present & the future

One of Prof Min's assistant: I will steal it from Prof Min's secret room

RADE aka Crown Prince Yi Ho: We now really must have a perfect plan....those people who are oppose Prof Mon...we need to united them

Go Hye Jeong: This is strange, why is this found in the Sujinbang Diary (referring to John Donne poem)....

@Yongzura Thank you for sharing the English subbed version! Finally! Looks like I'll have to rewatch the international version once more :D 

Ep26 international version remains firmly in the historical timeline, ending with her capture by MCH. From what I can see, there is only one extra scene, but one that is so pertinent to explaining YWS' whiplash turnabout in attitude and cruel flaunting of his pregnant mistress in his own home (7:21 to 10:13min mark). Why it was removed from the SBS version is inexplicable, for I certainly would not have considered this a scene that did not contribute to plot development. Oh well. On the other hand, we never hear Hwieumdang's thoughts when she watches them paint, and as such, we are not privy to her regret at all the wasted years spent hating and resenting them together, which is much better executed in the SBS version.

SBS Ep25 on the other hand, is certainly a bullet train through the modern timeline, with its share of duds and gems - the duds being other omissions which would have better served the narrative had they been retained; while gems in the sense of better cohesiveness in some additional scenes that they included. All this has me wishing yet again that we could have had the best of both versions in one. Still, it is what it is... so I should not complain but just prepare extra hours to watch all the versions with multiple subs :tongue:

Missing scenes (by no means comprehensive):

Prof. Min looking in at the real Mt. Geumgang painting and saying he has the answer is incongruous without the scene before, which shows him receiving an SMS from RADE, asking if he has the answer to the Hidden Catch. 

Director Sun's mocking words regarding unscrupulous academics during the meeting with the Undersecretary of the Ministry of Culture is removed, as well as her hilarious subsequent fate, being dumped by the roadside and having to stoop to riding on her daughter's motorbike.

We never get to see HSH and GHJ realise that Anna is actually the daughter of their enemy.

After the drunk SJY is helped into the house by her father, we do not see GHJ telling HSH off for pushing SJY to fight when she is in such an emotionally vulnerable state, to which he is contrite. Its inclusion would have served to explain his change of tone the next morning when he expresses his support for SJY whatever her decision is.

During SJY's lecture at the community centre, her description of Western paintings of flowers while beautiful, looks artificially arranged in vases is removed, as well as her explanation that the subject of Asian paintings are plants that are commonly known to the people.

We do not see SJY being drawn to all the material they have worked so painstakingly on, after her lecture. As such, we are not privy to her gradual shift back to the fight she abandoned in her grief.

The scene where Eun Soo first sees the flower bracelet, and hears the explanation by his grandfather about the resilience of the flower, being able to grow at the mountainside or among the rocks, is removed, thus reducing the impact and meaning behind his gift to his mother later.

HSH's taunting of Prof. Min during his inauguration party to ensure his big day is tainted, is also removed.

Extra scenes:

SJY's repeated visions/dreams of coming face to face with Saimdang. To be honest, this feels premature, and certainly makes no sense why she would have a vision of something that has yet to happen.

Footage of Gyeom on a ship as SJY reads up on A Man in Korean Costume and how he came from a faraway land, which does away with the mystery of whom the subject is meant to represent. If it really were Gyeom, then I really hope they have a plausible explanation as to how Rubens could have known what he looked like and painted him 70+ years later in 1617.

On the other hand, I truly love how here we are privy to the reason for Eun Soo's resentment towards his mother, blaming her that she never told his father she missed him, and forbidding him to call his father to tell him he loved him. In his mind, his mother abandoned his father, which was the reason his father died and left them. This gives a far stronger justification for his bitterness, than what was implied but never verbalised in the international version.

We see Eun Soo drawing from the vantage point of a camera lens, hinting again that it is the mysterious man with a camera.

Asst. Nam asking Asst. Moon how much money he estimates is in a beverage box of a certain size, and laughing bitterly at the answer of 100 million won, evidence of his conflicted feelings about the shady dealings that are going on - especially compounded with the guilt that they are partially responsible for framing SJY and HSH for plagiarism. 

Footage of SJY's RADE contact taking photos during the fateful Mt. Geumgang event. This is an important scene which was missing from the international, and answers my lingering question about how an organisation like RADE could have not been present during the event, but depended on the video of SJY's reaction to HSH's questions to start their investigation. Here, we see that their team was on hand after all, which makes much more sense.

Honestly speaking, previously unseen footage from the modern timeline now revealed in the SBS version, has me a little concerned how they would address and resolve the mystery of SJY's link to Saimdang, Gyeom's link to Rubens' Man in Korean Costume, and modern day Gyeom's connection to SJY. I really hope the explanation and resolution will be one that is plausible and delivers on a cerebral and emotional level. Please do not insult our intelligence with a rushed ending that sweeps everything under the carpet without providing a satisfactory answer to all the burning questions we've had over the past 26 episodes. 

As always, I enjoyed reading your "analysis" of both versions, compare and contrast etc about our favourite drama that is soon going to end.  Your detailed explanation scene by scene always amazed me... since I'm always mixed it up between both versions :blush:

There is one thing that I'm curious of: Why is he (RADE) keep taking pictures of JY, her son etc?  Is he trying to attract her attention but not really wants her to meet him yet? but at the same time he is making contact with her son.  Ha ha... suddenly I just wonder... what if JY didn't see the postcard of the "Korean man" that was left for her.... 

@gerrytan8063 Who would have thought the name of a flower would end up being the gauge of subbers' knowledge... or proof of their creativity :D Please do share once you find out what the TSKS and Japanese subs say! And Tagalog too, once GMA starts broadcasting it in the Philippines!

@Yongzura I used to think that modern-day Gyeom's incessant photo-taking of SJY was linked to his efforts to expose the truth behind the Mt. Geumgang painting. However, the repeated mentions of her beauty by his associate to her and him has me worried that we would end up with a banal explanation such as infatuation with her looks. Please no! I hope that his insistence in remaining in the shadowy background is tied to his own connection to historical Gyeom. And you're right. How would he anticipate that she would have seen the postcard? Then again, if she didn't, I'm sure he would find some way of drawing her attention to it, even if he had to put it inside her juicer or rice cooker :tongue: 

In Ep. 24 SBS version, after finishing her painting of Keumkangsan, Saimdang triumphantly raises both of her arms as the wind blows against her, as if she's saying, "I did it; after more than 20 years, I have fulfilled my deepest desire."

This beautiful image of Saimdang with her arms outstretched reminds me in some ways of the iconic image in the movie "Titanic" where Rose (supported from behind by Jack) raises her arms as she feels the wind rush against her.

(Of course, in the SLD image, the only element lacking is Lee Gyeom standing behind Saimdang.)

BRRC1EW.jpg

@liddi

"Who would have thought the name of a flower would end up being the gauge of subbers' knowledge... or proof of their creativity :D Please do share once you find out what the TSKS and Japanese subs say! And Tagalog too, once GMA starts broadcasting it in the Philippines!

TSKS is currently subbed at Episode 24, while in Japanese it will be Sekichiku (セキチク,石竹)

I think some english sub had translate it as Dianthus flower

57 minutes ago, liddi said:

@gerrytan8063

@Yongzura I used to think that modern-day Gyeom's incessant photo-taking of SJY was linked to his efforts to expose the truth behind the Mt. Geumgang painting. However, the repeated mentions of her beauty by his associate to her and him has me worried that we would end up with a banal explanation such as infatuation with her looks. Please no! I hope that his insistence in remaining in the shadowy background is tied to his own connection to historical Gyeom. And you're right. How would he anticipate that she would have seen the postcard? Then again, if she didn't, I'm sure he would find some way of drawing her attention to it, even if he had to put it inside her juicer or rice cooker :tongue: 

Thank you for sharing your imagination ..... :D ha ha... i can't help but imagining it too....

I agree with you... it's a little bit "creepy" too... when some of the lights were switched off... to make it a little bit dark... and he (our CP) mentioning she's beautiful in real life... etc etc... He didn't even introduce himself at the beginning... I guess she's being brave because she's determined to win the fight.

@gerrytan8063 Yes the Dramafever subs for SBS Ep25 translated it as such when Eun Soo presented his mother with the bracelet.... so yay? :D 

The international version has 4 episodes left, and one episode behind SBS which has 3 episodes to go. Looks like they may finally converge after all going into the finale...

@Yongzura Yes. In a different story, he would have been classified as a sinister stalker, complete with spine-chilling music each time he makes his appearance. Hey! My theories are not that far fetched okay? With the amount of attention paid to the juicer and rice cooker, who knows its next PPL moment would be yet another message from RADE-Gyeom :tongue: Or it could be among mother-in-law's Saimdang cosmetic product kits :D 

@Farah Ayuni @Jay Gatsby Tropes aside, I think it is likely, since the MV from Melody Day's Song for a Star shows the family looking at an exhibition together.  If they were to be reunited as a family, I wonder then what role does modern-day Gyeom play in her life apart from helping to bring down the Goliaths of her world.

w9mBtDNNxrTOKhdDgiTqFKbFH77voAK6XCy3fuG_1orXgV0oAp_QnvS6-YXOPVBGB1qnwUstwGJySjvckfTODw937Xx-DZiWswHn8neWm8-0z-XxoDi9A-kqq9EIO5Tr4GR4Fq_9QTQdiodYBAbfNAQAVXRCHpZO1NIJsV6o_uUb24PWoIRXegurJ02Fzyb4KWfZLASlZzBjDMoGOOuFefrulXOd5QnRJLOlYLUqAjoUsjBnEPijTX516GDreIbmNxZhiM8n69gP3C92PBM6BxwpMOdMXjraNgUhq5Ghdrk02AgAjpJMCmnvpzc_DT77k81Cl6VYSBPyYZS7xT5G1JgNc3kD9WXuxJFvhj0IlO95vxkO6e3EH-yYDUYIN6NYjh-AqnyUX-qNLdR62_09A-brsGWSG_goj78HmI6uXex03xS9lZaYnXEnqibNe8r9OITWvioK5by0P4vkyHEC-x6rFak88ZcUw6zznCDctgMj2ruHDzBHRP8A7Xm61cAHiE3iXznuQZVDobnO6-X-yWh7IsXrmJ2vhBXaRXKO4HXG-d01WUII_2xVEj07AHmVSfmmZy7Hktp5moxJx3T-JjZMnidbYWKj4SPY9MKiRgissiA0pDVjqztRPqBWnBwKtlrtcnWq7qUY0uzHO2vwp_EtJtV8o645=w1663-h944-no

cr. MelodyDay(멜로디데이) The song of the star(별의 노래) (사임당, 빛의 일기 OST Part.8) MV on Youtube 

3 hours ago, liddi said:

@Farah Ayuni @Jay Gatsby Tropes aside, I think it is likely, since the MV from Melody Day's Song for a Star shows the family looking at an exhibition together.  If they were to be reunited as a family, I wonder then what role does modern-day Gyeom play in her life apart from helping to bring down the Goliaths of her world.

cr. MelodyDay(멜로디데이) The song of the star(별의 노래) (사임당, 빛의 일기 OST Part.8) MV on Youtube 

I knew. He will return. Just look at the scar on his face. That's for accident. I don't know what role does modern-day Gyeom in her life? 

@liddi

"Yes the Dramafever subs for SBS Ep25 translated it as such when Eun Soo presented his mother with the bracelet...."

TSKS had translate Pae Raeng-i (패랭이) as 石竹花

The Indonesia subtitles that is in youtube had translate as per the English subtitles (Dramafever) as "bunga Dianthus"

"And Tagalog too, once GMA starts broadcasting it in the Philippines!"

As for Tagalog, you need to asked someone from the Philippines

As we took a random sample of the word Pae Raeng-i "패랭이" translated 

GTV Taiwan "草帽花"

Oh!K English sub as Fringed Pink

Oh!K Malay sub as bunga teluki...while the dubbed is bunga kumai

Hanmi Chinese sub as "普格尔"

HK-TVB Cantonese dub & sub is "石竹花"

Drama fever is Dianthus flower

Indonesia sub is Bunga Dianthus

KNTV Japanese sub is セキチク (石竹, Sekichiku)

@anyeze

What have you translate the Pae Raeng-i bracelet that Eun Soo gave Seo Ji Yun in Episode 25 as in Hungarian?

On 4/21/2017 at 7:32 AM, plainenglish said:

Quick reply / analysis:

(1) Lee Gyeom is the sun, Saimdang is the moon.

Saimdang drew the early moon on the painting, and Lee Gyeom caresses that moon.

(2) From https://campusconnection.blogspot.com/2017/01/saimdang-lights-diary-synopsis-by-episode.html

Version 1 from Ep 24 Dramacool subs:

Saimdang: “The moon is about to wake up from its nap.”

Lee Gyeom: “The moon’s nap ... What an interesting expression!

Saimdang: “The sun resents the moon that sleeps all day and wakes up later at night. The sun doesn’t know how hard it is for the moon to keep the darkness away alone at night. The sun doesn’t know that the moon is keeping its side.”

Version 2 from Ep 25 Dramacool subs:

The moon must be waking up from its sleep.
The sun sees the moon sleep all day.
So it resents the moon who only wakes up late at night.
The moon is alone late in the dark night.
It faces the darkness and shines on the world.
The sun doesn't realize how hard that is.
The moon is always by the sun's side, protecting it.

Thank you for writing it down but still trying to figure out what the moon and sun mean and symbolize in their lives or life as a whole.

Archived