[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

GTV Taiwan Episode 27

For those who like GTV Taiwan link

https://www.gtv.com.tw/Program/P2016092401/index.html

Text Preview to Episode 27

【第27集】
李謙收到徽音堂的箭書後前往楚安山,而就在同一時刻,徽音堂前往真正監禁師任堂之處將她救出,並且拜託師任堂一定要救她的兩個兒子,李謙趕到山寨才知道受騙,而就在千鈞一髮之際,世子邸下派人射殺閔致炯,閔致炯在剩下最後一口氣時告訴李謙,是陛下要殺他滅口,師任堂回到家中卻發現元秀和客棧權氏像夫妻般生活在一起,師任堂在萬念俱灰下前往夢裡嚮往的金剛山。

Yi Gyeom received Hwieumdang letter (via arrow post) & proceed to Choan San mountain (located in Nowon-gu Seoul stands at 114.1 m above sea level), at the same time, Hwieumdang goes to where Shin Saimdang is being held to rescue her then plead to Saimdang that she must save her 2 sons. Yi Gyeom hurried to the mountain hideout only to realise that he was duped. At the nick of time, Crown Prince had sent his soldiers to Yi Gyeom rescue & shot Min Chi Hyeong, in his last dying breath, Min Chi Hyeong reveals that it was Jungjong who had order him to killed Yi Gyeom & Shin Saimdang. Shim Saindang return home only to find that Yi Won Su & Tavern Mistress Madam Gwon had set up household in her house. Shin Saimdang in her despair goes to Geumgangsan for her hermitage

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Mico Ricco

I don't know whether the Singapore exhibition would bring this painting since the article only mentioned later works

33108123502_75f31a79f0.jpg

Shin Saimdang painting of Field Mice & Watermelon (수박과 들쥐) 

34218472126_3f0e4d68d5_n.jpg

A cockscomb & Cattle dung beetle (맨드라미와 쇠똥벌레

is in the National Museum of Korea collection

@pixiebelle Thank you for sharing the screenshots! I wonder if the footage of Saimdang in Tuscany with Gyeom is actually SJY who time travelled back when she was unconscious, like what happened before to her in Ep2, seeing the synopsis says 智允終于醒來,師任堂也不再擔心 Jiyoon finally woke up, and Saimdang is no longer worried. Still wondering about the significance of the seeds, and how the diary came to be in Gyeom's hands. We'll find out soon enough.

@gerrytan8063 Is it an understatement to say that I am more nervous than I've ever been since I started watching the drama? For me, the crucial point would be how they finally tie the two timelines seamlessly together to deliver a satisfactory explanation of the supernatural events in the last 4 (3,  if we're referring to SBS) episodes, and I am terrified that they will falter. 

@Mico Ricco Wow, I am envious! Will you be going to the exhibits? Please do share if you see any of Saimdang's works there :) 

The novel has yet to arrive, but I am captivated anew by the preview, which includes the complete prologue, describing how Gyeom took 3 months to complete Portrait of a Beauty, and all the emotions that we only see, but are not verbalised. And 石竹 makes its appearance again @gerrytan8063! Anyway, here is a clumsy transcript of the prologue for those who are interested.... my apologies for any mistakes and poor translations!

序幕

1542年 秋 義大利托斯卡尼,湖畔宅邸

我拋棄了一切,來到此處,帶著殘破的生命,背離了破碎的故國、背棄了侍奉的君主,在異鄉的土地之上,只能苟延殘喘的勉強度過餘生。她要我不可放棄生命,她最後的請求成了我生命中最重要的依靠,但我終究還是離開了朝鮮。除了一身破舊的冠服與一頭髻髮之外,所有的一切對我來說,都是如此陌生,我成了異鄉人。從彷彿要碰到天際一般的高聳天花板,到舉世無倫的華麗壁畫,還有即使在大明王朝也不曾見到過的陌生畫作、比伽倻琴琴聲更加悲涼的樂器聲響,那些膚色與我截然不同的人們,對我的好奇心、與凝結著同情的視線,一切都叫人暈眩。每當我閉上了雙眼,她的身影就一直在我四周圍繞著。

在我腦海中,她總是靜靜地站立著,有如一道光。雪白光潔的額梢;有如用墨水點染過、漆黑得明亮的眼瞳;彷彿用手修整過一般尖挺的鼻梁;凝著溫婉微笑杏色唇角;在耳邊縈繞不去的清雅語音,她的一切都還留存在我的記憶之中,沒有任何事情能夠阻止她的浮現。我猛然睜開了眼,「就畫吧!將存在於我記憶中的她,留存在畫軸之上吧!」對作畫的渴望驀然奔湧而出,吹拂過我即將熄滅的生命之火,再次點亮了它。

我放下毛筆,勉強撐起沉重的身軀,全身的每一個角落都麻木地刺痛著。究竟經歷了多長的時間?月光彷彿曾三次撫慰我的身軀,那麼便已經度過了三個月。掀開遮擋在窗前的厚重簾幕,月光便無聲滲入漆黑昏沉的房中,我用僵硬的目光環視著屋裡,已經燃盡的燭臺下,畫具凌亂散置,還有在我筆下完成的她,我用細微顫抖著的雙手整理好衣容,站在畫前。

畫中的她,穿著雅致的灰色裙裝及染上淡淡石竹花朵的藕荷色上衣,帶著似笑非笑的微妙神情,凝望著我的她,有如就要活過來般栩栩如生。從那深淵的最深處,有某種滾燙的東西猛烈地席捲而上,那些我無法對她傾訴的話語、那些我無法傳遞的情感,還有刻骨的思念,所有的一切都將傾瀉而出。

而此時此刻的我,早已虛無有如空殼,因為我的所有都是為了成為她,而今亦已然如是。

Prologue
Autumn of 1542. Tuscany, Italy. The manor by the lake

I abandoned everything and came here with a shattered life, separated from a broken country, abandoned the service of the king, only to eek out an existence in a distant land for the remainder of my years. She wanted me not to give up on life, and her last request has become my most important reason for living. In the end, I still left Joseon. Apart from dilapidated robes and hair tied up in a bun, everything is strange to me, and I have become a stranger. From towering ceilings that reach the skies, to gorgeous murals of the world, unfamiliar paintings that have never been seen even in the Ming dynasty, musical instruments that sound even more mournful than the gayageum, and people with different skin colour than mine, looks of curiosity intertwined with sympathy towards me - everything is dizzying. Whenever I close my eyes, I see her figure all around me.

In my mind, she is always standing quietly like a ray of light. Her fair, clear face; dark, bright pupils which look like they have been touched by ink; a straight nose which seems like it has been brushed; warm, gentle smile upon apricot-coloured lips; her elegant voice that lingers in the ear - every part of her remains in my memories, and nothing can stop her from appearing. I suddenly opened my eyes. "I'll paint her! I will immortalise every memory of her in the painting!" The need to paint burst forth, and my waning desire for living, was lit once more.

I put down the brush and straightened my body with difficulty, every part of which was experiencing stinging numbness. Exactly how long has it been? The moonlight seemed to have soothed my body three times, signifying that three months have past. I pushed aside the heavy curtains that blocked the windows, and the quiet rays of moonlight infiltrated the darkened room. I cast a stiff look around the house, to the candles that have burned down, the mess of the painting tools, and her painting which I have completed. With slightly trembling hands, I adjusted my clothes, and stood in front of the painting.

In the painting, she was dressed in an elegant grey skirt and a purple garment scattered with pale dianthus blossoms, wearing a subtle, enigmatic smile, staring at me as if she were alive. From the deepest abyss, all kinds of heated feelings swirled up - the words I could never tell her, the emotions I could never express, and the unbearable longing, all these came pouring out.

As of this moment, I have long been nothing but an empty shell, as all of me exists solely for her, and this is still the case, even now.

@liddi

"Is it an understatement to say that I am more nervous than I've ever been since I started watching the drama? For me, the crucial point would be how they finally tie the two timelines seamlessly together to deliver a satisfactory explanation of the supernatural events in the last 4 (3,  if we're referring to SBS) episodes, and I am terrified that they will falter. "

It ain't over until the fat lady sings.....I am sure the International version will give us a satisfactory reply & to your anxiety.....however I am not so sure about the SBS version, chose to omit details in this drama...gamble on a forecast & in the end results wasn't meant to be

"穿著雅致的灰色裙裝及染上淡淡石竹花朵的藕荷色上衣"

The monogram of the Dianthus Chinenses in this drama

Your translation is commendable

@gerrytan8063 It is gratifying to hear your faith in the international version, so I'll borrow your confidence to bolster mine. Can't believe it is ending in 9 days' time. Where has all the time gone! Visiting GTV's webpage makes me nostalgic, as Anda's "Without Anyone Knowing" was playing on repeat, and I know I will really miss this drama and the incredible journey I have enjoyed with you and everyone on the thread over the past 3+ months. 

The Dianthus Chinenses is certainly a recurring motif in this drama... and even unintentionally triggered so many discussions and speculations about it on the thread, with us learning a lot more about names of flowers, real or imagined, than we ever expected :D 

And thank you for your kind words regarding my translation :) 

@Jay Gatsby It's not a script, but the prologue from Volume 1 of the novel by the scriptwriter. My translations were based on the C-translated novel (more details here). And yes, the time stamp in the prologue was autumn of 1542, when Gyeom left Korea for Italy, which does seem to conflict with the drama with Gyeom painting the portrait in 1551, presumably after hearing of her death. Unless of course the prologue is meant to only begin in 1542 when he left for Italy. The text does not specify clearly how much time has lapsed after 1542, and he had to have been there for some time to have seen all that he had seen. More questions :D 

1 hour ago, liddi said:

@Jay Gatsby It's not a script, but the prologue from Volume 1 of the novel by the scriptwriter. My translations were based on the C-translated novel (more details here). And yes, the time stamp in the prologue was autumn of 1542, when Gyeom left Korea for Italy, which does seem to conflict with the drama with Gyeom painting the portrait in 1551, presumably after hearing of her death. Unless of course the prologue is meant to only begin in 1542 when he left for Italy. The text does not specify clearly how much time has lapsed after 1542, and he had to have been there for some time to have seen all that he had seen. More questions :D 

Ah I see. Thank you so much for transcript. I'm always want to understand that novel.

@Jay Gatsby Thank you so much for sharing the latest BTS! Really love the camaraderie on set, and we finally see the blue (not green!) screen that is the backdrop of the view from Biro Bong Peak :tongue: Not for the first time I wish I knew what was being said... but even just seeing the interactions of the cast and crew makes me so happy. Thank you :) 

I have gained better understanding through back reading on this forum.. thanks for the very insightful sharing by prominent contributors in here. Just watched the BTS and gosh..how difficult that is to act out scenes in studio! Can't wait for tonight...

Haizzz I just watched EP 26.

The man wearing Hanbok is Lee Gyeom.

SJY told SID that LG didn't die and  he was in Italy.

Before LG went to Italy, SID gave her diary for him.

SJY's husband return in next ep -_-

But what about the scenes of SID and LG in Italy? And LG and SID hand-in-hand in last scene of MV Only One Love?

Episode 26

Seo Ji Yun & Shin Saimdang meets in the quantum leap dimension

It is confirms that Peter Paul Rubens' Korean Man is Yi Gyeom. Seo Ji Yun gives her Pae Raeng-i bracelet & John Donne's poem to Shin Saimdang to assure that Yi Gyeom will survive the ordeal

34283531495_cecfdae505_z.jpg

33473440073_242404363b_c.jpg

10 minutes ago, Jay Gatsby said:

Haizzz I just watched EP 26.

The man wearing Hanbok is Lee Gyeom.

SJY told SID that LG didn't die and  he was in Italy.

Before LG went to Italy, SID gave her diary for him.

SJY's husband return in next ep -_-

But what about the scenes of SID and LG in Italy? And LG and SID hand-in-hand in last scene of MV Only One Love?

Thanks for the summary. Can't wait for the subtitle to watch it.

But what about the scenes of SID and LG in Italy? And LG and SID hand-in-hand in last scene of MV Only One Love? - more questions.. Hmmm.. 

Archived