[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me explain the process of making Hanji ( 한지, Korean paper). The Native Korean word for paper is Jong Yi (종이)

Hanji is made from the bark of the paper mulberry tree or known in Korea as Dak Namu (dak na mu, 닥나무)

Dak Namu use in Hanji paper making had been discover to have better properties as it has a better tearing & tensile strengths, heat & sound insulation, great water absorption & air permeability than the neighbour Washi (和紙- Japanese traditional paper) or even Xuanzhi ( 宣紙 - the Chinese traditional paper)

Spoiler

32199370884_245cf7ce08_n.jpg

shin Saimdang cutting the Dak Namu (닥나무)

In Korean Hanji is also commonly known as Baekji (백지) which ""  means 100 & refers to the numerous process & hard work in making Hanji, cutting the dak trees, steaming & scarping the branches to peel the bark, beating, drying & etc. It is said that the completion of a sheet of Hanji require 99 touches by the maker & the final 100th is by the user

The process of making the Korean paper hanji. I used to procure Korean paper for insulation & sound proofing

Spoiler

32918223161_a29061333e_n.jpg

Shin Saimdang paper making process

The making of hanji (korean paper). Preparation of Raw material by cutting the mulberry tree into pieces, bundled & place in an iron cast pot, fire up to boiled until the bark begins to peel. The bark is peel off the wood by hand & dried. Then the dried bark is again submerge in water & pressed until the water is squeeze out which after, there will remain only white fibre. Lye is added to this mixture which then is boiled for at least 3 hours. After washing the fiber, the mixture is spread out on a flat surface stone pestle & crushed.  The fibers that have been separated out in this manner are added to sticky water (dakpul to acquire a glutinous mixture called ttakmul - meaning “glutinous water” & prevents the fibers from tangling & neutralises their alkalinity) obtained from mashing the root of the mulberry tree, after which everything is mixed together thoroughly. The resulting mixture is sift onto a singled legged frame called a webal tteugi & dried which is called dochim & the paper making is complete

Spoiler

32889008472_edbf417bf6_n.jpg

Shin Saimdang paper

32199509594_e9db1b1d4c_n.jpg

The cloak that Shin Samidang drape over her arms is a "sseugae chima" ( 쓰개치마) or a skirt shaped veil to conceal their faces from men (more a fashion statement in dramas than it actual purpose, although she had use its purpose several times in the drama)

32199549434_661602d27b_n.jpg

In this poster, Shin Saimdang is  wearing a jangot (장옷) as a cloak

Past & Present characters

32203303524_5a17335863_n.jpg

Lee Young Ae - Shin Saimdang (Past); Seo Ji Yun (Present)

32666465340_02f38e546a_n.jpg

Yang Se Jong - Young Yi Gyeom (Past); Han Sang Hyeon (Present)

Spoiler

32666442430_461ffb713b_n.jpg

Choi Jong Hwan - Jungjong (Past); Min Jeong Hak (Present)

32203395864_3c3bb45942_n.jpg

Baek Jun Myeon - Gong ssi Buin (Past); Go Hye Jeong (Present)

32666580310_862059a79c_n.jpg

Jeon Su Gyeong - Seo ssi Buin (Past); Chang Min's Mother (Present)

32922131601_f083535cbf_n.jpg

Gu Jye Ryeong - Dam Yi (Past); Ji Yun's Neigbour (Present)

33048659075_677fc5bf31_n.jpg

Han Sang Hyeon is having the Ottogi (오뚜기) brand Jin Ramyeon (Hot) - 진라면 매운맛 . It is listed 323 on the ramen rater

32892636232_c67584b7fc_n.jpg

One of the cheap eats that is easily available in Korea is instant noodles. This can be easily done in a Korean convenient store & consume on the premises

Buy a Cup Noodles, add hot water, add a slice of cheese to enriched the taste of the noodles, popular these days with ramyeon

For a deluxe & enjoyment, you can buy addition that is easily available in a Korean convenient store as add on to your noodles. A pack Salad as side for ruffage or Kimchi if you prefer

Spoiler

33007252126_205848ea42_n.jpg

Samgak Gimbap ( 삼각김밥 , in Japanese Onigiri)

32233730903_4a203785c7_n.jpg

Korean SPAM Single slice

32893259942_2d16eb24c6_n.jpg

Every Korean convenient store have a Hot Bar (핫바) section. They are sausage on a stick that can be easily warm up in a microwave - always available & ready to eat

32204170444_4892b3d9ac_n.jpg

Soft Boiled Eggs (Salmeun Gyeran, 삶은계란, yellow packet). The other is Hard Boiled Egg (Gueun Gyeran,구운계란, green packet) The popular brand is Gamdongran (감동란)

32923131051_2c704aa11d_n.jpg

A good choice of Quick Breakfast treats on the go

44 minutes ago, cosmogirl77 said:

Is no one watching the show today? :unsure:

Watching the raw ... :)   Usually @andy78 is here, maybe something has come up.

The story is getting interesting.

No matter where and who we are, we do have similar characteristics such as to be envious of others, getting revenge etc.  To see Whieumdang Choi brought up her grievance (if I may say so) it hurts to see what is happening to Saimdang. 

@gerrytan8063, to me Korea is very successful in exporting their culture (their way of life) through their drama series indirectly e.g Even here in my parts of the world the hot and spicy "ramyeon" is quite famous.  Korean restaurants can also be found in major cities anywhere and also Thank you for the detailed information on how paper is made.

1 hour ago, Yongzura said:

Watching the raw ... :)   Usually @andy78 is here, maybe something has come up.

The story is getting interesting.

No matter where and who we are, we do have similar characteristics such as to be envious of others, getting revenge etc.  To see Whieumdang Choi brought up her grievance (if I may say so) it hurts to see what is happening to Saimdang. 

@gerrytan8063, to me Korea is very successful in exporting their culture (their way of life) through their drama series indirectly e.g Even here in my parts of the world the hot and spicy "ramyeon" is quite famous.  Korean restaurants can also be found in major cities anywhere and also Thank you for the detailed information on how paper is made.

But it looks like ii's easier to export  ramyeon than Korean art  and culture!

2017022301002074800146371_99_20170223011

Spoiler

0002576261_001_20170222230217788.jpg?typ

Sung ****
I do not know if it was originally re-edited because the viewers feedback was reflected in the re-opening, but it gets better as the latter part goes. However, it is important to catch the audience rating early on .
Skyo ****
It is so much more immersive to me because it is a dramatic drama, and I am amazed today. Song Seung Heon 짱 is very sexy and makes me laugh .
Tjsg ****
Do you have to re-edit Famous prisoners beyond the reality is that information worth going annaohni also getting better. Today also worth
Star ****
Oh Yoon-ah character is a charming villain but I'm good at acting too! 
Eesu ****
It is not the same line as the existing time-slip drama, and it makes me feel good .

@Yongzura @libra55

" to me Korea is very successful in exporting their culture (their way of life) through their drama series indirectly e.g Even here in my parts of the world the hot and spicy "ramyeon" is quite famous.  Korean restaurants can also be found in major cities anywhere and also Thank you for the detailed information on how paper is made. "

I actually posted the making of paper in Flower in Prison thread & I was actually sent to South Korea to procure Korean paper in 2002 

"Looks like ii's easier to export ramyeon than Korean art & culture!"

I was unfortunate & fortunate to have a window into Korean culture & traits......you need to learn what makes them tick & what influence in their behaviours in order to have dealings with them

Alternative to Episode 9

Spoiler

Yi Gyeom is agitated that Shin Saimdang couldn't sent her prodigy son Yi Hyeon Ryong due to financial difficulties & why she isn't living life well

Shin Saimdang wants to buy paper for Yi Hyeon Ryong schooling & finds that she can't afford the paper as it is too expensive. Yi Hyeon Ryong assure his mother that he doesn't need writing material to write

Jeong Eun Soo (Seo Ji Yun's son) goes on a school trip to Miseon Gallery where the guide explains An Gyeon Geumgansan as Jeong Eun Soo recognise the painting & tells that his mother wrote a dissertation on the painting, while a classmate tells that his mother got fire from her teaching job because of it. Jeong Eun Soo accuse his classmate of lying & fights with him

Kim Jeong Hee (Seo Ji Yun's mother in law) finds out that Seo Ji Yun had been fired from her teaching job goes to see Professor Min for an explanation but was drag out

Go Hye Jeong & Han Sang Hyeon discuss some criteria & arguments in making Geumgangsan painting a National Treasure

The site of Jong Cho Sa temple Stone Pagoda in Anyang, Gyeonggi-do (Anyang Jong Cho Sa Ji Sam Jeu Seoktap (안양 중초사지 삼층석탑,安養 中初寺址 三層石塔) use to be the 5th National Treasure of Korea but was remove from the listing

9252994781419122630.jpg

Anyang Jong Cho Sa Ji Sam Jeung Seoktap (안양 중초사지 삼층석탑,安養 中初寺址 三層石塔) use to be the 5th National Treasure of Korea but was remove from the listing

274th National Treasure of Korea a Bronze Cannon from Admiral Yi Sun Shin turtle ship was deleted from the listing when found to be a fake

In 1992, after the Navy discovered a gun in the water of Hansan-do Island in Tongyeong, Gyeongsangnam-do province, it claim  the said weapon was once attached to the legendary Geobukseon (turtle ship) of Admiral Yi Sun Shin & it played a key role during the Imjin War. The government was quickly to designate the bronze cannon as National Treasure No. 274 but 4 years later, it was discovered that bronze cannon had no relation to Geobukseon & revoke the status of being national Treasure & leaving Culture Heritage authorities scrambling for explanation as it claimed that a notorious & professional forger was on board the vessel that led to the discovery & open to the dangers of fake cultural properties

Someone sent Prof Min via courier a write up on An Gyeon's painting in English, with a clip visiting card that reads "RADE" As Prof Min reads through the pages, he is upset by the write-up as it frown on the authenticity of the present An Gyeon Geumgangsan then Min ponders who is RADE

Then we see a photographer is taking photos among the visitors in Siesta Di Luna in Tuscany, in the silhouette, you know that it is Song Seung Heon

It would have been better if SBS had broadcast the original edit rather than to have "butcher" in the re-edit to quicken the pace for the sake of ratings

I can understand that the original edit is in a slower pace to develop the story, but the least we are able to digest & absorb the on-goings than the present chopping of scenes. the juggle, removal & deleted of scenes are not doing any justice to current broadcast episodes

Ep9 continues not to disappoint in terms of narrative, be it in the SBS or alternate version. However, I fully agree with @gerrytan8063 that the reedits, while moving the plot along faster, is narratively less effective since it relegates the present timeline to very much of an afterthought. Similarly, this also mean many details are left out which would have been better served retained. Still, I hold out hope that there will be improvements down the road, as I cannot imagine the present timeline to be ignored for too long.

Nonetheless, I am loving the unfolding of the drama, and the potential for a memorable story is all there. Hwieumdang's one-sided rivalry is more and more evident, as is her innate cruelty to anyone who dares cross her path. Her deliberate use of 雲平 Woonpyeong as the topic for the mother and son contest, driving nails into Saimdang's guilt and terror over the massacre; her systematic cutting down of Saimdang's every avenue to make a living for her family, all twisted from the hatred she bears the woman for whom Lee Gyeom abandoned her by the wayside, forever reminded by the permanent scar on her hand. She currently holds the upper hand, with Saimdang's talent crushed under her debilitating guilt, but as we know, one day, Saimdang will rise and become the woman she is meant to be. I particularly love Hyun Ryong's glowing accolades about her - her strength and warmth no matter their circumstances, her ability to rise up and make the best of what they are dealt, and I think it is such an affirmation to any mother, to be able to hear their child's love and respect for who they are, not what they can give.

Their interaction with deposed Queen Lady Shin is a heartwarming one... and my heart aches, hearing the longing and loneliness in the older woman's letter. Her fear that no good would come out of them having anything to do with her, and Saimdang's insistence that they maintain neighbourly relationship - would that become another weapon in MCH's hand, or would it be the inroad into crossing paths with King Jungjong once more? We shall see. 

Additional scenes from the alternate version:

Spoiler

Gyeom approaches the school on a horse after Saimdang's first meeting with In Geol regarding Hyun Ryong attending the school

Saimdang's longer reminiscence of Gyeom at the lake after their meeting at the school

Hwieumdang instigates the mothers by claiming In Geol has already predetermined the student to accept behind their backs, and she couldn't say much since he said this is the perogative of the professor which they should not interfere in. When asked who the child is, she says he lives next to the deposed queen. The mothers are outraged since where he lives reflects on his family background, so to allow someone like him in when it was not easy for their own sons to enter the school, would bring disrepute to the school sooner or later. Saying that Hwieumdang was too soft-hearted to have allowed this to happen, they declare they would take it up with the professor.

The scene where Gyeom remembers what In Geol said about Hyun Ryong not having the opportunity to study, opens with a woman dancing to the playing of a flute.

Gyeom welcomes Jungjong to Biikdang, who says his intent in bestowing Biikdang was to allow Gyeom to be carefree and indulge in the arts, but did not realise that instead, he himself ended up being neglected. One of the older ministers is jealous that Jungjong was so happy to see Gyeom, but the others say this is a good thing, because the more Jungjong made merry, the better off they are.

Gyeom expresses his wish to teach at the school, to which a minister retorts should be the responsibility of the professor and teachers assigned there by the ministry. Another states that this was not considered a worthy cause as kin of the king, but overstepping authority, to which Gyeom says that they needn't worry as he was not intending to, nor have the ability to teach anything remarkable. Gyeom explains that while the school is government funded, the expenses for extra-curricular lessons are not a small sum, so children from poor families dare not even dream of attending the school. All of this is news to Jungjong. Gyeom wants to support these children as part of his cause, but was opposed by the parents. As such, he has come up with an interesting plan (the contest)

Following Saimdang confronting him about secretly helping Hyun Ryong and asking him to stay out of other people's business and just stay safe, he suddenly remembers the anonymous warning letter which said the same words

During a school outing to Miseon Gallery, Eun Soo is able to identify the painting as Mt Geumgang, stating that his mother, a professor in Korean art history, wrote a thesis on this painting. One of his classmates calls him a liar, saying that his mother was fired, she was a lecturer, not a professor, and that she has been distributing leaflets recently. Eun Soo becomes upset and gets into a fight with the boy

After confronting the boy's mother, SJY's mother-in-law goes to the university looking for her, and is directed to Prof. Min's office, but is thrown out by the man before she could ask him anything.

GHJ provides HSH with examples of artefacts which were previously classified as national treasure, but later removed from the listing, some of which due to it being a fake. GHJ apologises that she daren't not be in the spotlight in their quest since she still needs to earn a living, to which HSH says that she is the only person who could have gotten all this information. She then muses that even if they questioned the authenticity of the painting, it would be like throwing an egg against the rock. HSH likens their battle to be like David and Goliath, and the real Mt Geumgang would be the largest rock in David's hand. As long as they expose the current Mt Geumgang to be a fake, Miseon Gallery would be under investigation, and it will only be a matter of time before Seonjin Group's nefarious activities come to light. He passionately declares that they will be able to find the real Mt Geumgang, as long as they look to Soojinbang diary for any clue, however miniscule. GHJ slaps HSH's face teasingly, saying it is really good to be young.

Prof. Min receives an international courier package with a calling card "RADE", and an English write-up on the Mt Geumgang painting, which describes it as an exceptional forgery. The next scene shows the side profile of a man taking photographs amid a stream of visitors at Siesta di Luna, whom we recognise as modern day Song Seung Heon

Song Seung Heon's appearance in the modern timeline is interesting, considering that Yang Sejong is also featured in present day. I am as yet unable to see how the younger and older incarnation of Lee Gyeom can exist at the same time, unless we are meant to take them as merely a reuse of the same cast playing modern-day people who are totally unrelated to their alter-egos in the past. For now, I believe the only person with links to both past and present is SJY, but I am open to any new, plausible interpretations as the story continues to unfold. Drama, please surprise me!

Last but not least, in the midst of a strong performance from the ensemble cast, young and old, can I just gush over LYA, who effortlessly brings such poise, grace and elegance to every scene, be it as the wise, resourceful Saimdang, or the tenacious, brave SJY? Truly a joy to behold!

9 hours ago, Chi Le said:

9.8%

According to Nielsen Korea, the KBS 2TV drama "Chief Kim" rated 17.8% on the 22nd.

This is a 0.2% increase from the previous episode and a record breaker.

SBS drama "Saimdang: Light's Diary" dropped a 0.5% to 9.8%.

MBC drama "Missing 9" dropped .03% to 4.1%.

"Saimdang: Light's Diary" Lee Young-ae knows who Oh Yoon-ah is

Spoiler

photo822298.jpg

Lee Young-ae found out who Oh Yoon-ah is.

On the latest episode of the SBS drama "Saimdang: Light's Diary", Saimdang (Lee Young-ae) was curious about Hwi Eum-dang (Oh Yoon-ah) who knew her weakness.

Hwi Eum-dang held a joint exhibition of the Central Academy and suggested it be held in Lee Gyeom's (Song Seung-heon) gallery. Saimdang forgot about this exhibition as she was busy making money and eventually forgot it. She later remembered and headed to the gallery in her work clothes.

When Saimdang arrived, Hwi Eum-dang appointed the theme of poems as the chief of the association. Saimdang couldn't even hold up her brush as she shook. In the end, she couldn't overcome the pressure and gave up.

Lee Gyeom watched suspiciously and Saimdang also wondered who Hwi Eum-dang was that knew her weakness so well. Lee Gyeom met Hwi Eum-dang the next day and saw the scar on her wrist that reminded him of Seok-soon. Saimdang figured out who she was when she remembered something she had mentioned to Seok-soon in the past.

Source : tvdaily.asiae.co.kr/r...

http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-saimdang-light-s-diary-lee-young-ae-knows-who-oh-yoon-ah-is-103458.html

they finally know who the enemy is ...i'm glad they remembered... what a evil woman!

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Saimdang: Light's Diary" Episode 9

Spoiler

photo822479.jpg

At this point "Saimdang: Light's Diary" has clearly decided that it wants to be a drama about Saimdang trying to find the best way to usher her son into eventual success. In any other drama this would at best be a third tier plot, so director Yoon Sang-ho livens up the proceedings by playing epic organ music while Saimdang's archnemesis Headmistress Choi tortures people. And no, this doesn't look any less goofy in execution than it does written down.

Oddly enough I was actually looking forward to academic politics back in the early episodes of "Saimdang: Light's Diary". But that was in terms of the modern day framing device, which involved research disputes between advanced degree holders. That alternate plotline, flawed though it may be, doesn't even make an appearance this episode. Instead, we're left in Saimdang's time, having to watch quibbling between overinvolved mothers obsessing over whose kid is going to get the best recommendation letter. Compared to Saimdang's own artwork, this story point is rather...bland.

It doesn't help that we once again do get scenes of Saimdang's creative process, but they're so brief as to feel like a total afterthought. Even worse that that is the extent to which Saimdang's character is constantly made a victim of past trauma, and how people seem to be out to get her for no good reason. You know, I'd really like to think that a woman of Saimdang's education, opportunity, and accomplishment would have had a decent amount of self-confidence and mutual social support.

Everything I've read about the historical person has implied, to me anyway, that Saimdang was the kind of person who didn't need to be told how awesome she was. Yet here we see her, decades into marriage with a kind of buffoon, struggling to make ends meet, begging for favors and forgetting simple errands. Maybe at some point Saimdang is going to impress us with success and perseverance, although that will probably feel unearned.

Remember "Queen Seon-deok", about another important female historical figure, which by necessity had to take liberties with history due to an incomplete record? That drama owned, because even though the title character spent most of her time struggling against greater powers, she also had frequent if small victories, and inspired others by example through sheer determination. Saimdang never does anything remotely like that. It's how episode after episode "Saimdang: Light's Diary" continues to disappoint.

Review by William Schwartz

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-saimdang-light-s-diary-episode-9-103483.html

Wait what? Song Seung Heon appears in the modern timeline as well???? I really like the Lee Young Ae and Yang Se Jong friendship in the modern timeline. Is it going to get complicated with Song Seung Heon in the mix? Won't modern Lee Young Ae  recognize modern Song Seung Heon as Lee Gyeom? Because if she recognizes him, then she has to recognize all the other characters in the modern time which would be really confusing. (I'm thinking too much) 

Anyway the story is really interesting especially all the historical facts presented in the show. It is nice to learn more about culture and history, though I'm not sure why this show is not that accepted in Korea. 

@cosmogirl77

" Wait what? Song Seung Heon appears in the modern timeline as well???? "

At the present timeline, Seo Ji Yun only have Shin Saimdang writings in her dairy to go on in trying to prove An Gyeon Geumgangsan is presently fake

Someone needs to provide some external assistance that will challenge the authority of Prof Min & Miseon Gallery, which I will reckon that Song Seung Heon as a character will come in

" not sure why this show is not that accepted in Korea. "

Chief Kim as a drama is doing well, because Korean just want to watch something for a good wacko laugh. 

Archived