[MBC Weekend Drama 2014] The Legendary Witch 전설의 마녀

joy17

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A misunderstood first encounter in Legendary Witchesby javabeans | October 6, 2014 | 16 Comments

legendarywitch1.jpg

With a few weeks left till its premiere, new MBC drama Legendary Witches has released the first stills from the drama, which look rather moody and picturesque for a show (1) that’s about chaebol machinations, ex-convicts, and underdog fights; and (2) supposedly lighthearted. I suppose it’s not impossible to be all those things at once, but I’m still waiting to see what tone the show will take. (It could be cheery, but since it comes from the the writer and director of Hundred Year Inheritance, it’s a fair guess that makjang will be a key component.)

Legendary Witches is the prisoners-find-new-lives-in-bread drama starring Han Ji-hye, which girlfriday and I have taken to calling the bbang-bbang drama, because we have the sense of humor of twelve-year-olds who giggle at lame puns. (Bbang is the Korean word for bread, and is also the slang term for prison, and bbang-bbang is the onomatopoeic sound of a honking car. So you can imagine all the stupid-joke potential awaiting us.)

The drama centers around four ladies who are sent to prison wrongfully for various crimes, who learn how to bake in prison thanks to the volunteer work of chef Ha Suk-jin, and then set up a bakery together once they’re back in the outside world. The other three ladies, who are being called (endearingly?) “witches” in the show’s promo descriptions, will be played by Go Doo-shim (Mi-rae’s Choice), Oh Hyun-kyung (King’s Family), andHa Yeon-soo (Monstar).

legendarywitch2.jpg

The setup reminds me a bit of the relationship between the women ex-cons in Secret, whose small business was something of a halfway house for their fellow ex-cons, and who gradually became a makeshift family. (It’s also like Jung Woo’s Bread Man character inYou’re the Best, Lee Soon-shin, who got his life together after a brief stint in prison and found a new path in running a neighborhood bakery.) That’s the part of the show that I find promising, because I just love stories of motley individuals bonding together into families.

On the other hand, the story does have a familiar chaebol-giant-crushes-the-little-guy conflict built in, because the bread shop will face competition from a major corporation — and that corporation happens to be the one that Han Ji-hye had married into, which may have had something to do with her wrongful prison sentence. But I do enjoy the idea of Han Ji-hye and Ha Suk-jin being paired together, and these stills depict a scene at the beach where the two characters meet. Both of them (independently of each other) seek out a sanitarium near the seaside, but after both their goals are thwarted, they head to the beach.

That’s where Ha Suk-jin sees her heading into the water for an unknown reason, mistakes it for a suicide attempt, and rushes in to save her. But as he’s struggling with her, she grows angry at him and slaps him. Poor guy, just trying to help.

Legendary Witches will be an MBC weekend drama premiering at the end of October.

legendarywitch3.jpg

legendarywitch4.jpg

legendarywitch12.jpg

legendarywitch13.jpg

legendarywitch7.jpg

legendarywitch5.jpg

legendarywitch6.jpg

legendarywitch8.jpg

legendarywitch9.jpg

legendarywitch10.jpg

legendarywitch11.jpg

Credit: dramabean

Ha Yeon-soo goes to prison for new dramaby javabeans | September 11, 2014 | 38 Comments

hayeonsoo_10.jpg

I’m not sure I would’ve thought to conjure up quirky Ha Yeon-soo as a suggestion in the game of who to cast as a convicted attempted-murderer (at least not in the top thirty, forty names), but she’s chosen to take on the role of one in the upcoming dramaLegendary Witch, which will mark her first foray onto broadcast television (she’s mostly known for memorable turns in cable shows, like the music-themed drama Monstar and the tvN sitcom Potato Star 2013QR3).

Legendary Witch is the MBC weekend drama starring Ha Suk-jin (Thrice-Married Woman) that sounds a bit like a women’s version of the heartwarming blockbuster film Miracle in Cell No. 7, which took a motley group of inmates and banded them together as they rallied around a father and his precocious daughter. In this drama, a central cast of four ladies who served time in the penitentiary together (it’s Cell No. 10 this time) join together in setting up a bakery after their release. The prisoners were convicted of fraud, stock manipulation, murder, and attempted murder; Ha Yeon-soo’s character is a rookie model who was charged with the latter.

Once the women are released and set up shop together, they’ll encounter more obstacles, this time in business, as they go up against a large-scale corporation that threatens their livelihood. Ha Suk-jin’s character is a widowed single father and chef who meets the heroine while she’s learning about breadmaking at the prison’s vocational center, and thus kicks off one loveline.

The women will span all ages, with Ha Yeon-soo taking up the maknae role. Han Ji-hye’s name is currently a possibility for the lead, but she has not yet made an official decision. It looks as though Go Doo-shim (IU’s mother in You’re the Best, Lee Soon-shin) will play the eldest inmate, while Oh Hyun-kyung (the terrible makjang queen Soo-bak in King’s Family) is another name in the mix.

MBC weekenders aren’t really my cup of tea, though I did enjoy Miracle in Cell No. 7, and I love stories about people bonding into makeshift families — they just get me in the heart. On the other hand, this drama comes from the PD and writer of Hundred Year Inheritance, so you may want to start building up your tolerance for crazy.

Legendary Witch will follow current weekend drama Mama: Nothing To Fear, and is set for an October premiere.

Credit: dramabean

Updated cast, added new teaser trailer and stills for the Korean drama 'The Legendary Witch'

"The Legendary Witch" (2014)
Directed by Jeong Woo-seong
Written by Koo Hyeon-sook
Network : MBC
With Han Ji-hye, Ha Seok-jin, Park Geun-hyeong, Jeong Hye-seon, Ko Doo-sim, Park In-hwan,...
Sat, Sun 9:55
Synopsis
A drama about four female inmates in Room 10 of the Chungjoo Women's Prison.
Broadcast starting date in Korea : 2014/10/25

photo501247.jpg

photo501246.jpg

photo501245.jpg

photo501244.jpg

photo501243.jpg

photo501242.jpg

Skipping the beach scenes, as they have already been posted here.

Source: Hancinema

Archived