Discussion Thread | Shippers' Paradise Valentine's Day Contest

melkimx

Guest greenfrisbee

@mktb @LavelyShai
I see. Might I suggest, if using spoilers was
for consideration to mobile users, putting every shipper's post in a spoiler, including the text? (with the exception of thread name and url) So people with slow connections can just browse through each couple thread spoiler? I feel like that would be the easiest solution instead of hiding selected fan art.
@akazukin02
No worries. Surely something can be done.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mktb said: Now I understand why? I think it would have been better if you notified us first to avoid outburst and misunderstanding. Since Round 2 is for fanart and photos, isn't it safer to put the TEXTS (excluding the title) under Spoiler Tags? Just a suggestion. :) As I am understanding this, it's not really about what's safer or not for the contest entry itself. Text doesn't slow down the speed in which a page loads as much as large image files does. The reason for the mods wanting to put the images in the spoiler is to avoid the problem of the page taking a long time to load, which is an even bigger problem for those on mobiles or those who have, unfortunately, much slower internet connections.

@LavelyShai, @melkimx, @everyoneI concur that putting pictures in spoiler tags is the best way to go.We've had people telling us, even for Round 1, that on the last day of voting, they totally could not even load the page, and as such were unable to cast their votes.It would be nice to see the overall effect of the post straight away, but if it is at the expense of being able to access the page and vote, then I believe that this is the most workable solution. In the end, the idea is to garner as many votes as we can, no?
Appreciate the hosting of this contest - so far, we have had a real blast bouncing off ideas and working together like a well-oiled ship! The tricky part is time and teamwork coordination, with real life demands crowding in. And I personally have even had the pleasure of making new friends from other ships along the way!
All the best to our respective couples!

i have no problem with the spoiler tags as long as it was just and fair and i believe the best way to go is @greenfrisbee's suggestion to just put all the entries in spoiler tags but leave out the couples name and thread link, not the very selective putting of spoiler tags in some shippers' entry.

Guest greenfrisbee

I understand the reason for spoilers and I've already posted my thoughts on a solution, trust me the page does take a while to load and even before the round started I was wondering how you would prevent lagging.

But what I don't understand is this:"some of the things posted weren't so easy to put into spoiler tag" 
What exactly makes it easier? Can you elaborate a little?
Everyone should have the same chance.
I mean, this is a contest after all.

I don't mean to be rude but when one or two can't participate in the same way as the others, what does that say about the contest?

Guest me2pick

I understand the whole things about spoiler as when i last try editing my post it takes so long to load the page so it's really har d to do. I even put a copy of my post in sohan thread just so it's easier for the others to review and suggest a correction than loading the entire event thread.

Just take it as an experience so in the next event there'd be rules about using spoiler and things to avoid a long loading time.

Guest greenfrisbee

LavelyShai said: greenfrisbee said: I understand the reason for spoilers and I've already posted my thoughts on a solution, trust me the page does take a while to load and even before the round started I was wondering how you would prevent lagging.

But what I don't understand is this:"some of the things posted weren't so easy to put into spoiler tag" 
What exactly makes it easier? Can you elaborate a little?
Everyone should have the same chance.
I mean, this is a contest after all.

I don't mean to be rude but when one or two can't participate in the same way as the others, what does that say about the contest?

Guest greenfrisbee

@angelangie
If the mods really feel that our every one of our fan art needs to be hidden, it might as well be together. Is it possible to put the images for Dooley/Yongshin thread into one spoiler? *That's what I suggested to be done for everyone else too

Is everything cool here?
Hope it's ok to ask the Mods, whomever around to edit the missing image in at the Hunnie Couple's entry post.
One of the spoiler tags did not work and the image for the Why Coffee and Cheese? paragraph did not appear at all.
This is the Hunnie Couple's entryhttp://forums.soompi.com/discussion/comment/27010529/#Comment_27010529
This is the missing image r2_art_1.jpg
Thanks!

please find post under spoiler tag

do you mean like this, @greenfrisbee? then, we'll just have the couple title (in plain text) on the top of the spoiler tag? Yeah, that could work too. If everyone is in agreement with this, i don't see why we can't just do it this way for future rounds as well.

in any case, I really want to express my gratitude to the mods and admins for doing this contest. I know there's hardly any chance for our couple to win, as we are also in the minority, but this contest sparked so many creative ideas in our thread and made us all so excited and crazy at the same time (haha) that, even if we end up not winning anything,  the experience alone makes everything totally worth it! kkk

I also would like to extend my gratitude to everyone who participated in the contest. I swear, I'm just as excited at seeing your posts as I am about ours, and I found a few wonderful couples through this contest as well!kkk

So once again, thank you everyone in behalf of our ship! kkk

Group hug everyone!!!

image.png

PS: i would like to note that the spoilers don't work for our entry as well (JoU couple) and we cannot unhide the spoiler tags, so we can no longer see our images TT TT TT

edit//

someone just edited the spoiler tags before I finished my post and I can see our images fine now! thanks again to the angel who changed it for us, whoever you are!kkk

Just a little information on HTML in order to more clearly understand why the mods are reasonably having difficulties in being fair to everyone in regards to putting the images in spoilers.

Everything you do creates an HTML code, whether it's changing font size, bolding, italicizing, putting color to your font, inserting images, paragraph breaks, etc. Since I assume most, if not all, of you create your posts in Rich Text Format instead of clicking into the source and manually creating your post through HTML coding, it WILL leave some codes OPEN. Because of that, the spoiler command, which functions on Plain Text Format, will be inserted into an open code, leaving it confused as to what the command is... and it will NOT work.

This is why some spoilers are/were working and some were not. Because everyone's post is set up in a different way, the spoiler command will also work in a different way. In order to ensure that the spoiler works for everyone, the mod would need a deep understanding of HTML coding and they would have to go directly into the source, search out the problem, and THEN insert the spoiler tags effectively.

To those who understand HTML, it can still be a headache because of the amount of editing the post has been through and since it's on a forum, all the codes are mashed together rather than separated by breaks as you would find on a webpage. To someone who DOESN'T understand HTML, have you ever tried to click into your contest entry's source and seeing what it looks like? If not, please do by clicking on the white rectangle with two red arrows on it and you'll understand the difficulties the mods are currently going through with making the entries fair for everyone. Getting angry is NOT going to solve the problem. Patience and a little trust in the mods and admins who work so hard will.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I hope I was able to offer a little insight on the difficulties the mods are facing at the moment.

class="western" style="margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: 400; font-style: inherit; font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 1.4em; color: rgb(63, 63, 64); text-shadow: white 1px 1px 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: center;"this is just an example  class="western" style="margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: 400; font-style: inherit; font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 1.4em; color: rgb(63, 63, 64); text-shadow: white 1px 1px 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: center;"✯ Lee Hongki & Fujii Mina  class="western" style="margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-weight: 400; font-style: inherit; font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Open Sans', 'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; line-height: 1.4em; color: rgb(63, 63, 64); text-shadow: white 1px 1px 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-align: center;"Squirrel / Daramji Couple True Love Is More Than A Fairy Tale

http://forums.soompi.com/discussion/2018472/official-lee-hongki-and-fujii-mina-global-we-got-married-couple-thread

As our moderators explained, there were enough people who complained about the long loading time of the thread that we felt it was necessary to put things in spoiler tags. (I have a fast connection and my page took a long time to load, so I can't imagine how other people dealt with it.) Putting only the text in the spoiler tags, as someone suggested, has no discernible effect because the content that is causing the lag are the photos, not the text. I am not sure why some content is in spoiler tags and the rest isn't, but I do know that the spoiler tag can be glitchy and I trust that the moderators did their job honestly and only put the tags there if they thought it wouldn't affect the content. Please be more understanding toward them as they had to work pretty hard to insert the spoiler tags to make the thread easier for everyone to load. If we do this contest next year, then we will set more stringent limits on image file sizes so that the page will not load too slowly (or we will just enforce the spoiler tags).
As for the elimination, I'm going to explain it in the Round 3 thread. But basically you don't have to worry. There would be absolutely no point in having people vote in Rounds 1 and 2 if the votes didn't count for anything.

Archived