[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

I have been fortunate to be able to read your recaps and opinions as well as watch I the show raw.  Like most I have not read the novel but am largely relying on the viewers interpretation somewhat in terms of that content.

This is what I have surmise- they needed to give SN a strong motivation to return to /stay in Yuan. This was it, the massacre of her fellow Goryeo women who helped her as well as her fellow comrades and possibly childs' death was the switch needed to do so.  It would have been too simple for SN to return to Goryeo never to return, however the story is about Empress Ki and her rise to power of a Yuan nation.  In a way she fulfilled what the Empress Dowager could not, though got to give the woman props for volunteering to be the sacrificial lamb for the rebellion as she had a longer vision/future in mind.  Therefore her words in prayer stating ET will regret not killing her will come to pass.   What has been done is the set up of a new arc, the fall of ET and the rise of SN/TH to some extent.

There are some things for all to note:-

Safari/Park Bool-hwa/SN fathers’ assistant is not dead.  Strangely he is like Byung Soo in that respect in that he has nine lives.  He got 2 key injuries – an arrow to the back and a stab in the private area.  Though very painful it is not enough to kill him what it has done is allow for the new arc in which he will return to assist SN as a eunuch in the palace.  He will keep his promise to protect and assist SN as he did with her father. Plus he like SN will be motivated for vengeance/revenge as well.

It is highly possible that she lost the baby- I won’t even go into the mad logistics of this show regarding that subject as to the term, season etc.  But losing her child will motivate SN to get revenge on those who destroyed the Goryeo women, LP, Lady Noh and killed her child.  This will change her more as it’s likely to push her over the edge.  Her relationship  with WY will soon come to an end,  as what she needs is power which cannot be done/gained in Goryeo.

SN actually has the blood letter courtesy of Lady Noh who told her that she is giving her a letter, though the other maids has scoff it off, we  know for a fact she gave it to SN to give to WY to regain his country as king.  Therefore her death did not matter as much as ensuring Goryeo’s future through said letter – she died for her country.

Though it was regretful TH had to kill those he ordered to assassinate ET because he is still a weak king and most of the power was still in ET/DSs’ possession.  Plus DS was on his way, if one of the assassins is captured they are likely to point to TH under torture, that must be avoided.  In order to live to fight another day, it’s a distasteful but they had to be eliminated to protect the future fight.

WY will find out about the baby because of his eunuch who is bound to survive to report what has happened.  This will serve as an incentive for WY in terms of his relation with Yuan, they got more personal as it’s his woman and his child here.  So for Batouli to arrive is likely to be soon as a partner against Yuan.

It is hopeful that SNs’ close friend has survived as to whether she returns to the palace to tell Dokman what happens is unsure as she is also at great risk.

For this massacre SN will not blame TH as he did his best to protect her without any power, in that respect he has somewhat redeemed himself in my eyes.

That’s it for now, looking forward to the preview and next week episodes.

Guest hunterdd

Lyly said: I really want to drop this drama as the child plot that I loathe does happen. I really hate it. This is torture for the three main characters. Yet I feel so bad I cannot continue to enjoy uri Ha Ji Won and Ji Chang Wook's acting. That is why I'm still hesitant to drop this for good. You know when you already watched more than 20 episodes of a drama, you somehow built up attachment to it and to all the characters and actors. 
I'm so sad. But I don't want to continue torturing myself by watching Ji Chang Wook being mentally tormented over a woman who does not love him and has a child with another man. T___T 
I'm so confused. What should I do? Drop it or keep watching? 
And I'm sure I will miss you guys a lot. You are all so funny and amazing with your insightful comments. 
O to ke???

@pegster
are they really husband and wife? Do they have kids too
if so then how can she not know about the pregnancy
or maybe at night when he was sleeping she was mad at him and decided to ruin his script :))

but I think they are good writers as I've watched previous works for them
so this is what is keeping me optimistic here
they won't suddenly lose their touch and experience and start making huge ridiculous mistakes
as soon as they probably wrote LP's name in the ep22 they remembered she needs to deliver like right now :))
so they won't make SN have her child too when she is at the beginning of her pregnancy still
I think it's a mind game to make us go crazy and then nothing is what it seems
That's my new motto for this drama
"NOTHING IS WHAT IT SEEMS"
writers plz don't disappoint us and really prove to make a ridiculous mistake  [-O<

Guest FateD1430293421

@chasen8888...what a deep insight! But u mentioned the way things might go dwn w WY...what about TH..hw r things gonna go dwn with him other than the fact that he saved SN this week! WY will supposedly join forces w the turk lady against the Yuans for SN/baby/goryo's sake..but what will TH do! Just b married to SN n being playful around her!!! Of course not!

Oh God i think on this rate of predicting and assuming next thing we knw we r seeking help of some fortune teller hahahaha =))

@petria
I think she delivers the baby but not a living or healthy baby and the poor baby will die
and this is why she goes back to the palace
I'm going to forget about the novel and just go with sense here
cause the novel doesn't match the drama
so considering the messed up timing in the drama, the baby living is not possible
specially in a cave not a hospital

Guest leticiabarcellos

@jewell11 I don't like this. Because her will not love him. Ijust want him to get powerfull and not be again a puppet for her. And why so many episodes? I'll go crazy with this kkkkkkkk

Do you think there's a tiny possibility that TH will lose his throne at the end, like abdicate or something?
I love too much the emperor to see him suffer for something that at this point I think he doesn't even want.
He "fight" /hates El Temur not because he took his throne from him, but because he killed his father. And, only after, because he realize he has to stay there but without power.
I wish at the end TH could be free from the emperor position, live like a normal noblemen without doing anything (maybe only learning how to write and read, and play football LOL).... of course with SN as his wife.
I know, It' s impossible, but dreaming doesn't coast anything XD

Guest missred123

The child plot is quite necessary for SN to seek revenge in a blinded fashion. She is going to side with TH to bring down ET and as WY told us in ep 21 and 22 SN is stubborn. She will be so bull headed according to MBC Sub that it's going to drive a wedge between her and WY.

Guest suwan1430273820

missred123 said: The child plot is quite necessary for SN to seek revenge in a blinded fashion. She is going to side with TH to bring down ET and as WY told us in ep 21 and 22 SN is stubborn. She will be so bull headed according to MBC Sub that it's going to drive a wedge between her and WY.

Okay, so usually I gotta go to work right about the time Empress Ki is airing and people are writing comments as they watch live.  Just out of curiousity, I open one post and it says how SN already has a baby bulge.  What the heck? The writers really threw a curve ball this time!

Been reading the posts and all the different outcomes that can possibly happen.  And I agree that either way TH and/or WY is gonna suffer if that baby lives.  But now I really don't want the baby to die because SN's gonna be sooooooooo sad and all those people that died trying to save her was all for nothing. Writers, please, lets not waste the lives of these good people!

So how can we make this plot line work?  Here's my idea:

I think SN should have the baby.  And of course it's most likely gonna be a boy (we gotta leave the whole prince thing open for the writers anyways). 

But maybe she'll realize that the baby's birth will cause hurt (she's smart after all) and give the baby to some nice couple in Goryeo that will raise it. The baby then can grow up freely and without the pressures and lies of his real idendity.  Also, it will protect him from anyone that thinks he is a threat to the throne.  And since it's a boy, they don't have to worry about it being dragged off as a concubine (but I guess he could get dragged off as a eunach?)

In the meantime, SN is free to go back Yuan to avenge Lady Park and those who protected. Also, it doesn't force TH to raise his rival's baby and WY won't feel hurt thinking SN had TH's baby either.

Then when everything is settled, the writers can bring the baby back into the storyline and he can be prince of his rightful country. And hopefully the prince is old enough then to accept the truth behind his birth.

Okay... that's what I would like to see happen... but in the world of Kdrama, it's probably to easy and too happy. Angst and complication is the way they usually go.

I'm on page 617... I'll catch up in a bit...
The time line/skip is too crazy for me to grasp...
So LP was very close to birth time. SN's friend ran away, nothing was shown of her also being killed. We aren't really certain if LP died immediately, she may have gone into labor and SN's friend was around to save that baby... IDK
SN's belly looked quite big for a 3-4 month pregnancy... twins maybe? Maybe she miscarries one and the other one survives inside... If they want to make us believe SN is giving birth, the only way to make sense is what someone else said, she's been on that cave for a few months (another time skip); otherwise, for the baby to survive in such conditions, she must be at least 7 months, which doesn't add up with the time line...
@cacazeel I think we are all in mourning here, let's stop with the crazy Tumor banner, and let's have one in honor of Lady Pak and Co

Week of 6 January - 12 January 2014 AGB Nielsen Top 20:
'Empress Ki' 18.5% average - 5th overall

Episode 22 Ratings:

AGB Nielsen:  Nationwide 20.3% (3rd; +.7%) / Seoul 22.1% (2nd; -.8%) broke 20% again!!!!
TNmS:  Nationwide 19.0% (3rd; +.8%) / Seoul 23.9% (2nd; +.2%)

This time, I have to agree with Emperor Puppy.  *pffffffffffffft*

web_2006273918_e9ba0a89_1_zps9146c633.jp