[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

@tessiero, @PeggyM, @critcs:
Regarding what TH said to SN at the end of episode 39, I'm going to go by what the C-subs says, only because we know how the infamous MBC subber likes to 'gussy' up his translations.  This is also based of the facial expressions on both SN and TH's faces when he said that.
Here's the exact translation (from C subs) of their last conversation before the end of EP39:
SN: Why didn't you send a message in advance before coming?TH: Why have you been ignoring my calls?  Are you still angry at me?SN: I've said before, I want to have some time alone.TH: It might be ok for you to not see me, but it's not for me.  It disturbs me when you're not by my side.  I can't stand it!SN: Please give me some time to rest my heart.  It won't be long.TH: Gwibi, I beg you not to anger/upset me.

EDIT: Just for fun, I did google translate what it sounds like if you translate 'don't anger me' form English to Korean, and it actually sounds like what TH said.  Give it a try.  Yes, I have too much time on my hands.

@DJG reading your posts remind me of how much I used to love history class in school.  I absolutely look forward to, and love reading all your posts.
For those of us who are used to watching Chinese historical/palace dramas (like me), have probably used to seeing very specific palace etiquettes, and grandeur battle scenes.
I was one of those who were fixated on the other Chinese Empires/Dynasties where women were forbidden to take part in the politics, hence the eye rolls when I first saw women appear at the grand hall during the political discussions, and even take part in it.  Then your posts enlightened me to understand that probably was the norm during the Yuan era.  Of course it wasn't as if it decreased my like for this drama in anyway.
Other eye roll moments were those skimpy battle scenes with lack of extras, or the other crowd scenes (ep. 38 ah hem) with just a sad line of people on each side. Tsk, tsk, tsk.
You're probably right, one thing Chinese productions do not lack are the number of extras.  I think I've heard where production companies would put out calls to fans at times so they can come to be extras on the set (maybe for free?).
But you know all, in all, I'm accepting that this is a Korean drama, and I let things slide because honestly, I'm not watching a documentary.  As long as the entertainment factor is there, I'm happy.  Plus I get to watch HJW for 50 episodes, what more should I ask for?
(well...maybe a better script, and higher quality production considering MBC calls this their 'Grand Production').
Really, there's nothing more that I'd ask for...

Whatever happens in this story because of the writers I am going to just try to keep believing they will not mess this up for us.

This is a very absorbing drama that makes you want to know the truth of history yet want the main characters to have a happy ending. The writers I feel veered from logic a few times, gave the tiny terror too much screen time, tried to make DK pitiable and had ED and Bayan jump off the Lady KI ship too fast.

Also, would  ED be so stupid  to show her hand so completely as to anger  both  Paeha and Gwibi? Why present her as that stupid? I never trusted her and always knew she would be a problem but she seems to be losing her mind. It's not just power hungry it's some kind of mania. Even useless waste of space Jang seems a little worried.

I don't even want to think about Bayan. I doubted him too but does he really want the one who did what he could not his enemy?.

Since TAL TAL is on the job and will probably keep his psycho.cousin in check I won't waste too much energy on her. Gwibi won't let her win anyway.

I feel it in my bones that WY will soon know something about Maha's origins and hope the Writers and PDnim get that right.

When Gwibi control the treasure some bad things will happen to some bad people. Oh yeah, justice shall be served to all the betrayers. TN getting hanged was probably too good for her but at least she is off the EK planet at last. My nerves, my nerves!  That crazy heifer was too irritating for words!

I'm riding this TH and SN ship till the end . Don't break my saguek watching heart writers!  :-O

So, TH is giving her an ultimatum then???  I wonder what the "or else" would be...or else he will go sleep with the new empress??? I so do not want them to be feuding just when the finally got rid of the ET clan....ooh, this new empress story-line really gets on my nerves.....MUST ENDURE!!!!  Back to my happy place in Episode 1....seems to be the only place I will be in this drama until the coronation actually takes place!!

@pegster - OMG, you're right. It does sound like that's what he said! Although that makes zero sense for his character, it makes much more sense the other way. (unless he's also been given a lobotomy) And I have too much time on my hands too.  =))
EvilMaid.jpg

PeggyM said: So, TH is giving her an ultimatum then???  I wonder what the "or else" would be...or else he will go sleep with the new empress??? I so do not want them to be feuding just when the finally got rid of the ET clan....ooh, this new empress story-line really gets on my nerves.....MUST ENDURE!!!!  Back to my happy place in Episode 1....seems to be the only place I will be in this drama until the coronation actually takes place!!

@tessiero@PeggyM@critcs, @pegster
Yes, I heard what Ta Hwan said to Seung Nyang as:
TH: Gwibi, please I’m begging you, do not make me become angry.
I don’t think Ta Hwan is giving Seung Nyang an ultimatum. He’s just telling her how he feels which is very much inline with his character.
I only watch EK on hulu because I can watch the drama in HD on my HDTV. D. Banon strikes time and time again and because of it, changes the context of the scene. /:)  But, he has added to the lexicon of soompi vocabulary with “oohlala".  Did anyone catch ”El Sleazer” in ep 38 and “Tanashiri’s flunkies” in ep 39? Oh, the laughs to be had. ;))

@CherKell - so you saw that mess too. That was so wrong on many levels. You are right, a lot of the KBS sageuks have been like that lately. Low budget, excessively long, aimless and direction less. The last barely good one I can think of is King Geunchogo. That's what worries me about EK, the signs of circling round the drain. Considering the excitement we all had in the early episodes, I really want them to end on a strong note. I think live shooting is a big detriment to Korean dramas, and the all to common unraveling that happens to many dramas can be partly attributed to this.

@tessieroo - exactly, by dragging it out so much and then having a new set of villains, almost immediately, it made their deaths anticlimactic. And now we have DK, El Plague and his minion still running around, when they should have been the first one dead.

@hanaseyes - you are right, a lot of things added are a mixture of various Chinese dynasties. But I was okay with it, for the most part, because I reconciled myself early on that although this drama does not market itself as a fusion sageuk, it is somewhere between a traditional and fusion sageuk. The world of this drama is so limited, there is no concern about actual governing, or what is going on in the country, or even a hint that major parts of the country were in a civil war. The actual palace culture and etiquette is not being accurately portrayed. Like you said, the cold palace is shown like a place people can just waltz in and out, when it was its own walled in area, and there would be other women in there, not just TN or SN. It was a place filled with women in various stages of madness, sickness and death, yet this drama depicted it, like just a cold, one-stop jail. At one point, TN even had the prince brought in and then walked out, when she chose :))

@pegster - thank you :). So many on this thread have been a pleasure to converse with and I thank you all for the experience to share and discuss these various topics. Like you I have accepted this drama and overlook many of its flaws (I admit that my affection for its stars, plays a role in this). I surely do not want to give the impression that the drama is all wrong. But if MBC is presenting this drama as their Grand Production, then they dropped the ball, in the words of the new empress poisoner, a tad bit. A better written script and direction would be a good starting point. Plus, tone accurate subs would have done more to help the viewers get the feel of the time-period. Every time I remember Persimmo yummies and she puts the Urgh in Ugly, I chuckle slightly.

I think this is just hilarious, I had to share it.
A Korean fan started to do a monthly newsletter (made up content based on the drama), 'Dai Du (capital of Yuan) Monthly Paper', and kept up with it.
I saw it on EK DC, but didn't pay attention to it until I saw a brief translation of some of the stuff on it from Baidu.
13365460023_0888246fdf_o.jpg

On the lower right hand corner, picture of WY, it's a 'Wanted Ad - Missing Husband', hmm...I wonder who would put up such an ad...
At the very bottom is an add for an 'Transnational Marriage Arrangement' company providing a contact number for Goryeo and Yuan.

=))

Guest hunterdd

^^ I think it unfair to blame the writers. They had a novel/script, but they had to rewrite the script and direction because of unforeseen circumstances, and yet it still almost reached 30%, even better than YWCFTS. Yes it could be better, but it is the same with everything.
I guess now they have to focus 100% on delivering what the audience wants, like more Golta more Bang more Tal Tal more romance, and cut out what they dislike, because their competition is a lot stronger, otherwise yes it will start to collapse.

@hanaseyes, isn't it Queen Seon deok from MBC too? i notice some of the clothes have similarities with what they use there. A little bit put here and there, it's gonna be different with the others.
Like the uniform that TH used when he attend football match with WY, its look like hwarang inner uniform. The one that lady mishil use, is similar to the one that TN always use. And for mostly the concubine use similar clothes with the one that queen seondeok use when she is still a princess

chrissydiva said: Is she allergic to the earrings they use on the show? She hasn't been wearing them since her first appearance on the show. I have a cousin who doesn't wear jewelry because her skin rejects them whether it's real silver/gold or not. I still can't believe we had to keep those two maids like seriously!

That line is seriously going to kill us. It two very completely different meanings that could lead to vastly different scenarios.

It might be the whole virginity issue and will be swept under the rug like it never happened.

Good news people...in less then 12 hours Empress Ki will start.