[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

@rinchan76 - LMAO, instead of "hide the children!" should it be "hide the birds!"???  :|
@chrissydiva - That worries me too! It looked like TT isn't going to tell either Ki or TH about this new psycho Empress's insanity or that she tried to poison Ayu "a little bit". I think Ki will discover this psycho's hostility on her own but how to convince TH? I have a feeling TH will be all "Oh, she's not like that! She's really nice!"  banghead.gif
@DJG - Oh, thanks for the information!  ^:)^ Your posts are always so interesting to read! I do know an Emperor was looked at as "weak" if he didn't bed a lot of women and produce a lot of children but this being a k-drama - I don't want puppy to bed anyone else.  [-(
@pegster - THANK YOU,  I've been fighting that battle since Ep 12 now. No, SN does not blame TH for her Father's death anymore.  She knows it was Wang Go and ET. What she still doesn't know is that it was El Plague who tortured her Father. 
@stclaus - Yah! I just got back and you're leaving? (where is @petria by the way?) Please don't let a few chase you off! dontgosmiley.gif
@yoomi66 - Thanks so much for the written preview! 
@critics - That was my point to the idea that Tanasmirky truly loved Maha. No, sadly...she didn't. Otherwise, why would she want his life to be filled with anger, hatred and revenge? If she loved him, she would not want him to lead such a life. And Grandma Dowager doesn't love Maha either, she's already filling his head with garbage.  :-L
This weeks recap  review  discussion is up!Empress Ki Week 20

SN's objectives : 
                 1. To seek revenge for her loved ones - Fall of the ET clan - Mission Accomplished! (though some of the villians are still alive- DK, YB and WG) 
                 2. To be an empress and make Ayu the Crown Prince - Thru ET's treasures?!how?
 Then, what's next: 
                3. The Emperor's seat?! 8-X

Waaaahhhhh! Just my thoughts. :((

@tessieroo - always a pleasure :). I guess this wouldn't be a good time to mention the real TH might have been a sex fiend.

He had an Indian monk teach him the method of “great pleasure.” This method supposedly allowed the user to have sex with up to ten women in a night. Following the monk’s instruction, he ordered a tantric temple built for the “happy Buddha” in which all the Buddha figures were in various sexual positions. He then selected beautiful women from his harem to practice the method with, right in the temple.

He also had a Tibetan monk, who taught him a sexual method, which translates to “men and women practice together.” The emperor knew that his wives would refuse to learn this method, so he ordered for thirty beautiful girls and ten men, selected from his relatives, who were called “yina” (companions) to practice the sexual method together.

Spies were hired to look for beautiful women, among common and even noble families. These girls/women were then brought to the palace. Sixteen of whom were selected and trained to become a dancing team, “heavenly demon dancing girls (tian mo wunii).” The emperor was captivated by these girls and whenever a dancing girl attracted him he would sleep with her. A secret room, “shishi wuai (anything goes)" was built, where the emperor and other officials would go to have sex with the dancing girls. Since, an emperor was supposed to rotate frequently among his women and not stay more than five days in the same tent, in order to visit the dancing girls more often, he ordered a tunnel built, connecting his room to the place where the dancing girls lived.

It wasn’t just the emperor and officials behaving wildly, some of the wives and concubines and palace ladies were also involved with government officials and other men. Monks, nuns, and even wives of outside officials were believed to have been part of this palace debauchery. The situation was so extreme that when the Ming dynasty overthrew the Yuan, one of the first laws the founder put in place was prohibiting the women of the inner court from contacting outsiders. Empresses were no longer allowed to participate in politics or government; basically an Empress could only be in charge of the other consorts and women in the palace.
:bz

You have 10 more days to get your PMs to me!  I've received 47 entries to date, and you guys are all across the place with your predictions.  But the person that predicted 10%... seriously, dude?  Not even remotely funny. *hmpf*

Honestly, Empress Ki has some of the most beautiful costumes that I've seen since Jang Ok Jung, especially Lady Ki's gorgeous garments.

I'm not a fan of Ta Hwan, although Ji Chang Wook's performance is superb; I sometimes want to pinch his adorable cheeks. :-*

It'd be nice if we simply agree to disagree on some matters and enjoy Empress Ki for the purpose of entertainment. :)

@chrissydiva - Seriously, while watching Ep 37, I was like ---->   :|  I couldn't figure out who's fault it was because she kept changing her mind. The whole WY thing really threw me off! Who knew she was that crazy about him? Anyone? 
@DJG - Sooo....you're saying the real Toghon was a fairly promiscuous fellow? :D (although I just can't picture having a monk teach methods of "great pleasure" - those 2 words don't fit) Good lord, did everything you listed go on during his reign?  insomnia.gif 
DJG.jpg

Finally watched this past week's episodes with subs.  It did not feel good watching SN's alliance go sour (TT come save SN soon!)

However, I do have to say that BJH totally delivered in her final episode.  I've watched a lot of sageuk dramas and I think she had one the most well-written and well-acted villain farewell scene that I have seen in awhile.  I actually thought it was pretty cool how she rejected the poison.  Although this drama drags for some episodes, when we get episodes like this, it makes the wait seem worth it.

However, I'm disappointed that the writers seem to be driving a wedge between TH and SN.  They were so happy working together, but you can see SN totally changing her attitude towards him AGAIN!  Especially since she's doing stuff behind TH's back, when they used to collaborate together.  I have a feeling that if the writers stay true to the opening scene in episode 1, they'll probably try to separate TH and SN more and rekindle her feelings towards WY to explain her tears when she became empress (as they certaintly didn't look like tears of joy!).  I think that's why the writers are making it seem like TH is not reliable and seems to betray her to justify SN's change of heart (so she doesn't look like a spouse cheater!).

That being said though, has anyone watched MBC's "Scandal: A shocking and Immoral Incident?"  In that drama, they had a scene at the beginning of episode 1 (like in EK, where it comes again later in the drama).  But when that scene was supposed to air again later in that drama, it looked as if it was re-done (because one of the characters didn't even have the same clothes on!).  So MBC is not afraid of changing the scene if they ended up writing themselves in a hole.

These 2 maids were from ex queen have started working with new one. I dont think its logical. I watched many dramas when they found someone traitor they kill all their family even their slaves. I think this is too much. So I dont wait every week to watch this drama like before

@tessieroo - :)) at that image. Yep, all those were recorded. The method of "great pleasure" were basically teachings about how to concentrate energy in the sexual organs, so that upon sleeping with his partner, the male would absorb the female essence, which was somehow supposed to increase his masculinity.

Yeah, he and many of the emperors before him were very superstitious. Especially, with all the early deaths of emperors and princes. Because of the vastness of the empire and the Silk Road (a trade route, reinvigorated during the Mongol empire), they were exposed to diverse cultures, religions and practices. It is believed that the reason his uncle asked that he inherit the throne is, because his uncle feared he was cursed for killing his brother, TH's father. Both he and his empress (ED in this drama), built all kinds of temples, donated to religious sects etc., especially after their sons died.

I am telling you, there are so many fascinating stories about this time-period; I hope an in-depth drama would be done some day. The Mongol empire has long been an interesting subject to historians - from their different social practices, military, battles, role of women, and how fast they rose and also fell.

What is so amazing from this drama is how united all the actors are. They are giggling and joking and laughing and playing together when the camera is off and then back to embodied their roles when the camera on. As usual, I love HJW's humble and easy going personality. Never act like a diva or the number one star, she mingles and blend with the rest of the crew naturally. That's why they're all respect and adore her. I read that many top actresses are sometimes beyochie and arrogant on the set but HJW is not one of them.

Music and fashion are the strawberry and cherry on the top of Empress Ki ice cream..

So far, this drama is the best Sageuk drama to date.