[Drama 2013] The Goddess of Fire, Jung Yi 불의 여신 정이

Admin

Started to watch this and finish ep19 yesterday. Now i understood why people are frusturated with the drama.

There was so much potential for JY and GH's romance but it was not developed properly. We have seen how GH like JY so much and how JY 'heart beat faster' whenever she is GH and yet the writers refused to develop their love story further. Blah.

JY since beginning treated TD as her brother and nothing came out of it and yet still the writers refused to develop JY and GH 's relationship further.

And with JY's blood father, Lee C.K... seriously he such a sore loser. I come to a point by ep19, common you cant always be a sore loser and always try to sabotage JY's ceramics!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I reckon that this could have been a really good drama except that it tried to be all things to all people. It wasn't awful but often I thought the pottery and ceramics angle got swallowed up by the usual kdrama cliches like birth secrets, revenge, star-crossed lovers, a feeble love triangle, bullied protagonists. I'm not sure who's to blame for the diluted romance... both the leads are good in their own right but together, they seem all over the place. LSY is probably a lot more consistent and at times he's trying really hard. MGY, on the other hand, seems to be in a constant state of panic or petrification during supposedly romantic scenes. She was probably directed to be restrained but it doesn't do much for the chemistry building aspect of that relationship.
For me, I think Dae Jang Geum set the bar really high and since then no sageuk of this kind has even come close in terms of storytelling and sophistication.
I started watching this for love of LSY and for this recent kdramaland fascination with Gwanghae. I'm intrigued by the new revisionism of Gwanghae in kdramas which attempts to reclaim his place in history. From that point of view, I did enjoy the show. 

realistic2280 said: Started to watch this and finish ep19 yesterday. Now i understood why people are frusturated with the drama.

There was so much potential for JY and GH's romance but it was not developed properly. We have seen how GH like JY so much and how JY 'heart beat faster' whenever she is GH and yet the writers refused to develop their love story further. Blah.

JY since beginning treated TD as her brother and nothing came out of it and yet still the writers refused to develop JY and GH 's relationship further.

And with JY's blood father, Lee C.K... seriously he such a sore loser. I come to a point by ep19, common you cant always be a sore loser and always try to sabotage JY's ceramics!

@kappy
Exactly, there's not a lot of point to the love triangle if you're ultimately not going anywhere with it. Even if the love birds ultimately go their separate ways, they should have at least had a few hugs leading up to Jung Yi's departure. With Jung Yi constantly holding back, it ruins those crucial moments and wrecks what little chemistry the actors already have with each other. Too much screen time was given to the ambitious chief ceramist and his sap of a son.
I still think the show would have been better off split into two phases if it really cared that much about being historically accurate -- the Choseon phase and the Japanese phase. However, I suspect there would've been political ramifications if they had done that because in all likelihood, Jung Yi was probably more respected/ better treated in Japan than she was in her home country. 
At the end of the day, the show wasn't really about Jung Yi as it was about the politics of that era. It was as much about Gwanghae as it was about her. The drama should've been called "The Prince and the Potter" ;)
While watching this last week, it occurred to me that Jung Yi is of the same historical period as Princess Gou of Japan. I really enjoyed the jdrama and I recommend it highly. Princess Gou (or Oeya)  was the adopted daughter of Toyotomi Hideyoshi (the warlord featured in GOF)  and the wife of the second Tokugawa shogun. She was married (off) three times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@TueMoon: #LeeSangYoon

#MoonGeunYoung

interviewed for "Goddess of Fire,Jung Yi" kdrama,is currently air in Japan

cr mgyfc,naver http://t.co/YkSFyVgawr

photo 34B8147F-C6FC-4C59-A531-B9FF0D17CE3A_zpsp1qq6d14.jpg

@moonssaboo: [Eng Translation]LSY Interview for Goddess of Fire

From もっと知りたい!韓国TVドラマ(通称:もっ韓)

#이상윤

http://t.co/cReSQ6PuKK http://t.co/gI4x0gpTeg

Q:Have you lost weight a lot?

LSY:Yes, but I am worried about a bit...For Liar Game, I lost weight, and the reaction of the fans was more than my expectation.

So I think I should keep this body style, but my body is becoming normal again(lol)

Since Liar Game, a lot of young people have become fans of mine, but their leaving from me is coming soon with saying, "Ah~He isn't so cool." Hahaha!!!

photo A2C9C667-51C9-4F42-BC41-6F2F64CD87CF_zps7tvc6w7e.jpg

Q:How was the chemistry between you and LSY?

MGY : The chemistry between us was good. We are 6 years apart in age but he was very polite to me as a co-worker actress.

photo 376EE3D8-A771-416E-A167-93BFE8AF792F_zpspkrskpg2.jpg

There was a scene that I dropped from the boat to the river, and he rescued me. Actually, before having come up to the surface, I was having difficulty in breathing, and though that I would die...

However, before the shooting started, he said "If you cannot breath well, please beat or hit my arm." So I did, and he rescued me. I was crying as I was frightened. But he looked more surprised. Thanks to the preliminary discussion, there was no incident.

Q:The famous scene of the drama was doing some pottery art with him, wasn't it?

photo 7555AC79-A8A3-430F-8B8C-5FD8C94725F9_zpssqdxjzmi.jpg

MGY:Yes, I like the secne very much. Not only the pottery but the romance with him could be seen, so the scene was very nice.

photo F29D776E-EE45-4759-9BDB-1C2E5AC25552_zpsup8b8qqo.jpg

translated by hiromi

thank you romi^^

Archived