[Drama 2013] Thorn Flower / Spine Flower 가시꽃

mistyrain320

Guest atomickitty

Umm, @Triton823, did you just use.. rapist pops.. in a sentence? LMAO..

And gonads? how, scientific.. You could say BALLS you know. I can take it. Balls balls balls balls BALLS.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest d0137

Any promising development prospects on today's episode? Guess Jennifer's will not forgive the ones that kept her son away from her adding up with what looks like it will be difficult for her to receive his acceptance ... not looking good ... :-<

@d0137 - I think she will be shutting everyone around her and become more self destructive than she already is. She will end up probably end up dead or insane. I think that's the most realistic outcome. Everyone around her are betrayers, Se Mi is constantly let down from the ones she loves. But Nam Joon and the aunt are not bad persons, I don't believe that. I hope the toxic family with Hyeok Min will fall very hard and we will see all the consequences for their actions that had been hidden. 

All but one or two of the main developments in today's episode (76) should be pretty obvious without much knowledge of Korean.

The opening cliffhanger continuation has Jennifer clinging to Eun Seok and telling him she's his mother, but he gets distressed by her distress and when Seon Yeong comes out, he runs to her calling her 'Mommy'.

Jennifer tries to snatch him away forcibly, but he refuses to leave Seon Yeong, who protests that Jennifer can't possibly ber intending to take Eun Soek away to live with that family, where both their lives would be a risk, but she replies furiously that he's her son and she will do whatever she wishes with him, since it's no business of Seon Yeong's whatsoever. However, Jennifer finally agrees to let Nam Hee take Eun Seok inside while she and Seon Yeon argue the point between themselves.

Jennifer remains implacable, saying that everything that has happened to Eun Soek and the path of revenge she has herself taken is wholly due to Seon Yeong's lies and she will never forgive her. Seon Yeong admits what she did is beyond forgiveness, but she pleads with Jennifer to let her care for Eun Seok until Jennifer is in a better position to take charge of him, promising that she will freely give him up once that's the case and begging Jennifer to trust her on this one last time. Jennifer relents as far as her intention to take Eun Soek away with her immediately is concerned, but warns Seon Yeong that she'll come back for him very soon.

Seeing Jennifer come back into the house looking very upset, Je Joon asks her did she follow up his idea that whoever lied to her about her having a stillborn daughter could hold the key to finding  "Se Mi's son" (he is careful not to imply any rights to the child himself) but she lies to him, saying she did ask that person, but she got no useful information about where her child might be. As he goes away, obviously saddened to hear this, Jennifer reflects that Je Joon has forfeited all rights to be Eun Seok's father. Indeed he's become complicit in what happened to Eun Soek as well as to Se Mi, and from now on, Jennifer reflects, he will be just as much the target of her merciless vengeance as all the other members of the family with whom he's thrown in his lot.

Soo Ji continues her desperate attempts to get Hyeok Min back. Learning via a director of Taekang that that company is within days of going under, robbing thousands of employees of their livelihoods, she offers Hyeok Min a deal. If he'll just put on a show of apologizing to her and agreeing to marry her, even if he doesn't mean it, she'll persuade her mother that he's sincere and beg her to come to the financial resuue of Taekang before it's too late. He says he'll consider that if she really thinks she can get her mother to do that, but when she goes back to her mother, Soo Ji finds that she is no longer prepared to indulge her daughter any longer. She refuses point blank to offer a lifeline to Taekang, saying that it's in Soo Ji's best interests to be rid of the Taekang alliance and Hyeok Min. Devastated, Soo Ji conveys her mother's refusal, and the failure of her scheme, to Hyeok Min.

Hyeok Min, too, seems badly knocked back by the failure of this apparent last chance, but it becomes plain from his cryptic phone calls to an assistant checking that unspecified "measures" have been taken as he ordered that he has something cooking, and his apparently abject turning to Jennifer for comfort may just be part of this scheme, a preliminary to drawing on her supposed vast wealth to bale the company out. But that has still to be clarified. And his distress isn't totally feigned, because he has another very big worry that's nothing to do with company finances.

What that worry is, however, is only evident to those who can follow the Korean in this and the previous episodes in somce detail. It concern's Seo Won's latest moves in his obsessive determination to marry Ji Min.

Seo Won summons ex-detective Seo and tells him that he'll be in big trouble unless he switches sides to him and helps him force his way into the Kang family. Seo is at first sceptical about Seo Won's plans to resurrect the case of Se Mi and lay it squarely at the Kang family's door unless they succumb to his demands, pointing out that there was ample evidence that Seo Won was himself deeply implicated in the events, especially the death of Se Min's father and the rigging of the fake accident, but Seo Won tells him that he has used his influence to doctor all the surviving evidence to remove all traces of his involvement in the matter, and that there is no way Seo could bring him into the case without revealing his own major role in the travesty of justice which his corruption made possible. Seo, shaken by this, warns Hyeok Min that Seo Won has it in his power to send him, his parents and his sister to jail without any risk of being exposed himself. That's a problem which Jennifer's riches, even if they were real, has no power to solve, even if she were minded to do so.

As well as preparing to blackmail Hyeok Min and his mother into accepting him into the family, Seo Won is also working on Ji Min, with some success. He exploits the fact that Je Joon is pretending to be certain he is Ye Jin's father, although both Seo Won and Ji Min know he's actually certain of quite the opposite, to stir doubts in Ji Min's mind about her husband's true feelings towards her and his future intentions. Although Ji Min tries to reassure herself that Je Joon is pretending ignorance possibly because he loves her or, perhaps more likely, because he doesn't want Ye Jin to be harmed, she keeps hearing Seo Won's voice in her head saying that no man could be as forgiving of what she has done as Je Joon appears to be, so that his tolerance and loyalty must be just a mask for some kind of vengeance plan. Meaning that she'd be better off with Seo Won, who at least makes no secret to her of his character and motives, so she knows where she stands...

Taking her lead from Jennifer, who assures her that the President can hear every word that's said, Hyeok Min's mother exploits her husband's helpless state to reveal her contempt for him and her determination to drive away both Yang Hee and Seong Min, since the latter has now shown which mother his loyalty truly lies with. And she gloats that the President will be powerless to stop her, since even in the unlikely event of his partial revovery, she'll see to it that he's declared insane and incarcerated in an asylum for the rest of his days. All this is overheard with some satisfaction by Jennifer, but when shortly afterwards she goes back into the President's bedrooom she finds him struggling to sit up and gasping out that he is her father.

Episode 77 text preview

President Kang recovers consciousness and says that Se Mi is his daughter, sending Jennifer into a state of shock. She tells him to keep quiet, but he won't stop, so she puts a gag on his mouth [입을 막아버린다 -- frequently used metaphorically just like "to gag someone" is in English, but I've a feeling it's meant quite literally here].

Nam Joon warns Jennifer that Soo Ji has commissioned a check on Jennifer's fingerprints, and he warns her that her identity is about to be unmasked. But Jennifer says she is not going to run away.

Seo Won says that if the President is arrested, Hyeok Min's arrest will follow soon after. He tells Hyeok Min's mother that if she wants to save her son, she has to accept him as her son-in-law.

Guest d0137

@elegance1 you all the ones she loves have let her down, she is alone right now with the new discoveries, can't think of anyone she can turn to. Also agree that Nam Joon and auntie are not bad people but what they did was in a way selfish considering she could have left with the child and left him in the U.S  or something...but this is the way writer wants it to be...
@baduy thank you!But what is wrong with Ji Mi and Soo Ji? they are delusional or something?  does Ji Mi really consider Je Joon might love her when she knows how he end up in the trap wedding? I ' d like to think no but honestly can't read JJ anymore...and does Soo Ji really wants to marry Hyeok Min's even if by force, i though she was a bit more intelligent but really dislike her now that she is wearing her evil mask!
A man doesn't love you just stay away, let him be happy or miserable with who they choose or want to be with... but writers almost always have vengeful obsessed women after the male leads errrr how strange...

I didn't see today's episode but saw the preview... Ji Mi followed Je Joon which by the way is supposed to stay away from the fact he is Se Mi son father since he kind of have no right at the moment ... he is unknowingly giving some interesting clues to his lunatic wife to find his son even before him and god knows what will happens if she does and reports to her now lunatic friend Soo Ji ... 
oh my oh my hope can watch this weeks episodes next weekend with some satisfaction in outcome ...

Guest d0137

@elegance1 sorry i meant :iIagree with you that all the ones she loves have let her down ..... was "rushing" out and miss-typed 
Think everyone is waiting for a turning point in this drama... i started watching something else to ease my frustration for now lol!
@atomickitty Wanted to mention since you love dramas and i guess k movies as many of us do ...Although this might elicit your curiosity... don't each OLDBOY i saw it mentioned few times due to main lead and took me ages to actually watch it.. well found it a little disturbing ...

Guest atomickitty

@d0137
Oh.. I saw Old Boy. No clue what it was about just heard..  critically acclaimed.. revenge series..
Watched it... creeped.. me.. out..
Also, I didn't see why the critical acclaim. Maybe I'm too plebeian to get it. Or maybe what happened turned me off. Who knows...
There's going to be an American remake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldboy_%282013_film%29
Not watching it.

Guest d0137

@atomickitty Yes just because the revenge and the plot is all about incestuous relationships i actually didn't know because didn't ready the wikipedia plot story... good actor and good strange start as most trillers but then you realise what it is all about and start feeling a little sick / disturbed with the idea...
Since the idea of Jennifer being blood related with Hyeok Min is already disturbing to us even if they have not slept together, i though this film was rather disturbing in the sence ...

@atomickitty There's a distinctly nasty streak about a lot of highly-acclaimed Korean movies, and Old Boy is pretty typical in that respect (as well as laying down a nastiness benchmark that other directors feel they have to surpass). Just as there's a distinctly nicey-nicey streak about some Kdramas. Neither extreme is much to my personal taste, but whereas I just forget about the fluffy stuff, I find the nasty stuff leaves a bad taste which I'd rather do without. Though I try to get to film festivals where new Korean movies are shown, I often find myself wondering whether I shouldn't have stayed at home and watched my TV archives instead. And not just because the subtitles often leave me groaning in agony.

Another movie you almost certainly don't want to watch is the recently released Norigae (Plaything). This fictionalizes the systematic sexual exploitation of young would-be actresses under the glamorous surface of Korean showbiz (touched on in Thorn Flower too with the motif of Ji Min and her manager). An area that badly needs some light shedding on it, and the movie, which most of the time is a courtroom drama with intermittent flashbacks, makes a serious attempt to do that. But to make sure the requisite dose of revulsion gets mixed in, the sex scenes are all of the most brutally sadistic and violent kind. As if the director and writer suspected that the audience would think that rich tycoons preying on amibitious young girls was quite alright, if only they stuck to sugar-daddying them instead of shackling and whipping them...

Guest d0137

@Triton823 
I think you are right, it is a little controversial, so my guess is the writer might go with Evil mum have had an afair with someone she loved in the past (and president never knew as he was also busy cheating. It would be ironic if it was with Nam Joon's dad??? the the greed took over her and he had to die.... :-? this will still make it similar to Glass Mask, where after asking forgiveness everyone will be living together and no one goes to jail errrrrrrrrrrrrrr :(( nooooo!

This will  explain her "support" towards her daughter's actions (she is just like me!!) what a pride of a daughter lol!! :)>-   

as far as I know all these support characters around Jennifer should simply die. You have one "Friend" who lied to you and stole your baby and uses the excuse that it's for your own protection. To me that still bothers me more so than the evil family.

Guest d0137

@Samara34
Totally agree, UNHAPPY EVER AFTER all together IN JAIL!!! Hope this writer reads reviews on Glass Mask and Yellow boots before deciding on his REVENGE drama ending... there are things you can forgive and there are others that hunt you for life (like murder of family and loved ones or plainly someone deliberately destroying your life out of their selfish greed or jealously  ...)

Guest d0137

@Triton823
Yes very painful when someone you trust betrays you, you can never trust them again as you used to so i think those happy forgiving endings we sometimes see  are somewhat unrealistic specially when you speak of Murder or "stealing" your baby even if the motif they believe in is enough it certainly will not be for the parents who live with the pain of a supposedly loss ...
All the crimes on this drama are unforgivable, wonder how is the writer going to change this without disappointing few people, he should have left someone she could rely on available right ??? I am curious! :-?

I think the evil mother will die, HM, SY, and the President will go to jail for their crimes.

Je Joon will have his vengence by taking away his daughter while Je Min goes down with SW virtually destroying her career to a point she'll want to kill herself.

Se Min/Jennifer will be reunited with her son and go off to live a nice and quiet life.

Soo Ji will wind up in a padded room.

Nam Joon and sister I could care less...the near rape was one thing, but lying about someone child is by far more damaging than anything HM and crew has done in my opinion.

Guest atomickitty

@baduy
Thanks, as always, for the information. I am now adding Norigae to the list of Korean movies I will not watch. I already have Pieta on the list...

The last Korean movie I saw that had disturbing content was Silenced, but I thought that was a great movie. Possibly because it's based on actual events and shed light on what happened to children. At the end, I did find myself completely disgusted with the Korean justice system.

@@d0137
I used to do the same thing. When I first started watching Korean movies (and dramas), I didn't do any research. I was new at it, so I watched pretty much anything I could find. I navigate better now that I've been at it for 2 years. Now, I go to a lot of the wikis and read everything I can find about a show before I commit.

Fool me once..

Rather a lot in today's episode (77) depends on details in the dialogue.

Jennifer scornfully tells the President that she's not his daughter Ji Min, but he persists in saying the he knows she's not Ji Min, he recognizes her as Se Mi, but he's her father all the same, and so she can't treat him as she'd been planning to. Jennifer angrily replies that a stupid lie like that won't save his skin, and when he tries to say something about her mother, she stops his mouth. At which point Ji Min enters and thinks she's caught Jennifer trying to suffocate her father.

Rushing back to her room, Jennifer wonders what could be making the President come out with such obvious nonsense. Fear of what she she's told him she plans to do to him? Or an attempt to get her to divorce Hyeok Min by an incest scare? Or is he just trying to throw her off balance and play for time until he recovers enough to denounce her? For an instant, a fourth possibility flashes up... but she dismisses it at once, telling herself her mother would never...

Soo Jin comes to Hyeok Min's office to tell him she's resigned her Taekang directorship and cleared her desk there, since her mother has now cut of all collaboration with Taekang, making her position as director at that company meaningless. She ironically thanks him for all he's done and he equally coldly tells her she did a good job, but he mutters after her that she never knows when she's beaten. (A few moments later, she'll come knocking on his door yet again, to prove him right).

At the mansion, Ji Min has summoned the doctor [we recognize him from many other dramas, which have taught us that there's a significant link between his hair dye and the prognosis he delivers. When he's totally gray-headed, he's Dr BadNews, but when he's in salt-and-pepper mode as here, there's still some hope for the patient]. The President is doing his wide-eyed log impersonation once again, and the doctor assures Ji Min there's no cause for alarm, while clearly thinking she was imagining what she claims to have seen. But Ji Min now also believes her father is actually conscious, and she pleads with him to confirm that Jennifer was trying to kill him when she came to his rescue. This gets him to drop his total vegetable act, and Ji Mi assumes that his obvious distress is because he is indeed scared of Jennifer, whereas in fact he is once again thinking back to his rape of Se Mi's mother.

Ji Mi goes to accuse Jennifer of attempting to kill her father, but she gets thrown out of the room, so she next rings Hyeok Min and tells him what she thought she saw. Hyeok Min thinks this is just another lie to get at Jennifer, but to humor Ji Min and get her off the line, he agrees to her request to have a hidden camera installed in their father's bedroom, so they can observe Jennifer when she thinks she's alone with him. He entrusts ex-detective Seo with getting such a camera in place when he comes in to warn him that Seo Won is coming to see him and that he'd better tread very carefully because the man holds some very powerful cards and is determined to play them ruthlessly.

As Seo leaves, Soo Ji comes back again. She says she's already said her farewell to him as a Taekang director, but she's back again in her private capacity as the mother of his child. She's about to attend ante-natal clinic, and doesn't he think he ought to go along with her like other fathers do? Presumably she's confident that he will turn this request down, as he indeed does. But that's not her real purpose in this return visit. She adds that although she isn't surprised that he refuses to attend ante-natal clinic with her, what does surpise her is that he's never been to the ante-natal clinic with Jennifer. Is that because he isn't interested in her baby either... Or could it be that Jennifer isn't interested in having him along, so she's never suggested it? She leaves with that parting shot, but it obviously succeeds in setting Hyeok Min thinking, as it was meant to do.

Over in his office, Je Joon is recalling how Jennifer told him she'd drawn a blank with the people who told her her baby had died. He isn't convinced by her lie, and since he has shrewd idea who those people were, he sets out for the bakery to go question them himself.

Jennifer, on her way out to see Eun Seok, crosses paths with Seong Min. He tells her that Yang Hee seems to have disappeared without trace, and her phone has been cancelled. He asks if Jennifer has any idea where she's gone. This is plainly news to Jennifer, who shares Seong Min's conviction that Yang Hee has either decided, despite her son's pleas, to disappear of her own accord to save him further conflict, or else has been shipped off somewhere against her will by his stepmother.

The President stops playing dead when he realizes that he has Seong Min as a solo visitor. Seong Min tells his father that he's cut short an outing with Nam Hee so he could spend some time with him (a remark which shows that some of the "many things" he told Jennifer he'd been talking about to his father obviously included Nam Hee) but then explains that he's really worried because he hasn't been able to contact his birth mother and he fears she's disappeared. Before he can say any more, Ji Min bursts in, demanding to know where "that woman" has gone and rejecting Seong Min's protests that that's no way to refer to their sister-in-law. She explains that she has to go out right away and that in her absence Seong Min must on no account leave Jennifer alone with the President.

At the bakery, Seon Yeong is explaining to Jennifer that her sister-in-law has taken Eun Seok to the park as she usually does at this time of day. Jennifer says in that case she'll go find him there, but Seon Yeong begs her to stay a while and talk to her. Jennifer says she has nothing to say to Seon Yeong, and never will have ever again. Seon Yeong replies that she can fully understand how angry Jennifer must be with her, but Jennifer replies that it's not a matter of anger. She says that she realizes that Seon Yeong saved her life at considerable risk to herself and cared for her as devotedly as a real sister, or even a mother, would have done. That's why she came to trust her completely, and she'll always be grateful for everything she did for her when she was otherwise alone and surrounded by enemies. But she can neither understand nor forgive the way she deceived her about her baby. She says she can just about see how when she first came round from her coma, Seon Yeong and her nephew might have thought it was in her best interests not to be told the truth immediately, but at the very latest when she came back from the States they should have told her the truth. Leaving aside the basic wrong of separating her from her child, the deception had let her embark on a particular method of vengeance that she would otherwise never have adopted, and worst of all, it led to the injury that left Eun Seok handicapped and unable to recognize her as his mother. Seon Yeong recognizes there's nothing she can say to this, and there's no more Jennifer wants to say.

Seo Yeon has arrived at Hyeok Min's office. He gloats in his power over ex-Detective Seo by ordering him to go out in person to buy him an ice cream (green tea flavor!!) then warms to his topic with Hyeok Min. It becomes plain that he wants to turn Hyeok Min against Je Joon and get him to persuade his sister to get a divorce. He impresses on Hyeok Min that Je Joon is lying when he says he has proof that Ye Jin is his daughter, and when Hyeok Min says maybe that's so, but it just shows how devoted Je Joon must be, certainly to Ye Jin and possibly to Ji Min as well if he's prepared to swallow such a blow in silence for his family's sake. But Seo Won now puts the same point that he planted in Ji Min's mind in yesterday's episode. Rather than extraordinary devotion to his wife and supposed child, beyond what any man could reasonably muster, Seo Won argues that it's much more likely that Je Joon is putting on an elaborate act as part of a long-term revenge plot and has yet to reveal his hand. After all, Seo Won points out, it's likely that Je Joon holds Hyeok Min responsible for what happened to Se Min and has been nurturing an elaborate revenge plot on him and his family all these years. That explains, in Seo Won's view, why Je Joon is being so remarkably forgiving towards his wife. He doesn't want to divorce her because his marriage keeps him inside the family, preparing to strike in his own good time. So it's imperative that Hyoek Min should get Je Joon out of his family as soon as possible. Seo Won has another argument as well though. He points out how mentally unstable Ji Min has become under all the strain of deceiving her husband and her fears about the re-emergence of Ye Jin's father and her career struggles. Unless she lets herself be taken under Seo Won's powerful wing, there's a danger she'll be driven to suicide.

Approaching Eun Seok and Nam Joon's mother in the park, Jennifer hears Seon Yeong's words in her head. "Yes, what you say is true. It was wrong of me. I should have told you Eun Seok was your son. That was really wrong. I wanted something I couldn't have, and that led to things turning out this way. I'm so sorry."  

What I translate there as "wanting something one can't have" is generally sledgehammered by subbers into "being greedy".  But the concept behind it, 욕심 [慾心] isn't really a good match for any single Western word. Partly because it's rooted in a sense of static hierarchical order that has vanished from the West, though it is still powerfully present under the apparently Westernized surface of Korean life. If you act out of dissatisfation with your lot in life, your motives are ascribed to 욕심 even in cases where to Western eyes, such dissatisfaction is understandable, or even admirable. What we might term "healthy ambition" or "legitimate aspiration" is labelled 욕심 alongside crass instances of rampant greed or egotism. Similarly, the wish of a woman with fertility problems to have a child is sometimes viewed as 욕심 by traditionalists.  Basically. Seon Yeong is saying that she held on to Eun Seok (long after it was apparent, above all to her nephew, that she should tell the truth and give him up) because she wanted a child of her own to love. And there's no doubt that love him she does and did, as do the rest of her family.

To bring that home to us, there's a cut from Jennifer pondering these words in the park back to the bakery, where Granny has heard the sound of Jennifer's voice and is anxiously asking Seon Yeong what she came for. Was it to take Eun Seok away? Seon Yeong ruefully replies that she honestly doesn't know: Jennifer didn't say. Granny says her life will be over without Eun Seok, showing that the discovery that he isn't one of her cherished clan hasn't in the slightest affected her feelings towards him, despite her old-fashioned attitudes.

We cut back to the park where Jennifer is playing with Eun Seok in the foreground, while in the background Nam Joon is slowly approaching, as yet unnoticed (his mother will admit in a moment to Jennifer that she called him there).

Nam Joon has a quiet word with his mother, who begs him to find some solution that won't take Eun Seok away from them altogether, and he promises he'll talk to Jennifer. But at that moment Jennifer catches sight of him, and her whole demeanor changes to one of subdued, but unmistakeable anger. There's a sharp contrast here with the atmosphere a little earlier between Jennifer and Seon Yeong. We get the sense that although Seon Yeong's behaviour is utterly unforgivable in Jennifer's eyes, she finds that in the end it's understandable. What mother ever did really hate someone for truly loving a child of hers?

But for Nam Joon she has no such understanding and nothing but bitter reproaches, her outrage against him fuelled when Eun Seok responds to Jennifer's request to be patient just a while longer until he can come and live with her by darting away from Jennifer to the familiarity and protection of Nam Joon's mother at Nam Joon's side.

Jennifer asks Nam Joon's mother to take Eun Seok back home with her. Nam Joon's mother misunderstands what she means, thinking she can take him home for good, and she thanks Jennifer, assuring her that she'll always be welcome to come play with Eun Seok any time, just like she did today. But Jennifer firmly sets her to rights. No, that's not what she means. Very soon, she insists, she'll be coming to take Eun Seok away from them permanently.

Once the child is out of earshot, Jennifer responds with barely restrained fury to Nam Joon's attempted apology, especially when he's forced to admit that from his point of view he feared that knowing of her child's survival would have blunted Jennifer's eagerness for vengeance. So, Jennifer rounds on him, he deliberately used her child as a pawn to manipulate her for his own ends, with horrendous consequences for the boy? Does he really think that's something he can just say sorry for and hope for eventual forgiveness? The look in Jennifer's eyes and the edge on her voice make the answer to that very plain. She tells him that she has lost all trust in both him and his aunt. She no longer regards them as being on her side. And she adds that she holds both of them responsible for what happened to Eun Seok, implying that they have been added to her vengeance targets, just as Je Joon was in the previous episode. [The final part of the text preview for tomorrow's episode seems to suggest what this may entail in terms of Jennifer's next moves. EDIT Except that I made a stupid mistake reading the name in that preview, so it doesn't actually say what I translated it as saying first ime round. Now corrected].

She is walking away when Nam Joon calls her back to warn her that Soo Ji has commissioned a fingerprint test and that the results will be out any time now, after which Soo Ji will unmask Jennifer and place her in severe danger. He urges her to flee that house while there's still time. But she retorts that whatever the danger, she's not going to run away. She wants to see all those who wronged her go under, knowing that their former victim brought them down. If that means she has to be destroyed along with them, then so be it. Nam Joon replies that she has to look to her own survival first, if only for Eun Seok's sake, but Jennifer's only response is a contemptuous glance before turning her back again and leaving him.

Je Joon is seen leaving the company building by Ji Min, who has come in search of him. She tails him to the bakery and waits outside. In the house, Seon Yeong is insisting that she knows nothing about anyone called Se Mi or her child, and repeats the story she told Je Joon when he sought her and Nam Joon out earlier. He refuses to be fobbed off, saying he's found out a whole lot more since that time and knows they are hiding the truth from him (and, as he thinks, from Jennifer too). He says that Se Mi's secret is perfectly safe with him, he doesn't care about Jennifer's plans or motives and he won't betray her to his family, but he does have a right to know what became of his own son. But Seon Yeong, though visibly unsettled, pushes him out of the house, and the watching Ji Min hears her telling him never to come back there bothering her again, otherwise she'll call the police. Ji Min, who of course has no idea of the real purpose of Je Joon's visit, recognizes Seon Yeong as the singer from the Blue Moon and wonders why her husband is apparently harassing her.

Evil Mom gets home to find Seo Won waiting for her. After initially going along with her nervous banter, he reveals the purpose of his visit in stark terms, turning the screw mercilessly. First, he warns her that if her husband recovers sufficiently to stand trial, he'll see to it that he's sent to jail for a long time. When that fails to upset her very much, he points out that once the case against her husband is laid out, her favorite son will soon follow him behind bars. And while she's still reeling from that, he goes on to say that he has evidence that she hired Kim Baek Choon to kill Se Mi's mother and that she also ordered the attempt on the life of Seon Yeong, and so she will be the next one in court. But none of this need be a problem, he adds smarmily, if she and her son just make Ji Min divorce Je Joon, and make sure she marries him instead. That way they will all live as one happy family under his protection, safe from the arm of the law. He leaves her to ponder that and takes his leave, crossing paths with Jennifer on his way out.

Evil Mom goes to relieve Seong Min at his father's bedside. Seong Min expresses his concern at the way his mother looks, but can't help asking her why she did what she did. She seems bewildered (and her bewilderment may be genuine, since we don't know exactly what has happened to Yang Hee yet) so he goes on to say he knows she has sent his birth mother away somewhere, but wherever she may have hidden her away, he's detrmined to find her and she'd better come to terms with that. Left alone with her husband, she starts to lay into him, yelling that this whole mess is his fault and that he's ruined her life. At which point, Jennifer comes in.

Episode 78 text preview

After President Kang says to Jennifer in his wife's presence that she's his daughter, his wife concludes that as a result of his accident he has become insane.

Ji Min is convinced that Jennifer is planning to harm her father, but no-one in her family will believe her.

Jennifer  Seo Won
[EDIT: my bad. Got the names mixed up. As the actual episode makes plain] suggests to Hyeok Min that Je Joon may be behind the phantom "Kim Baek Choon", and that she suspects that Nam Joon and Seon Yeong may be plotting revenge as well.

I so love the reaction Jennifer is taking....scorched earth approach! LOVE IT! Is only Glass Mask and YEllow boots could have been this perfect I'd say we have a Oscar winner forming!

Thanks a billion @baduy for the awesome insight.

Archived