No fear of competition from younger actors, Jang Hyuk : My face is my greatest asset

Most male leads in romantic comedies are younger actors in their 20s or early 30s. However 42-year old Jang Hyuk is still receiving offers for acting in romantic comedies such as the current airing ‘Wok of Love’. Even when he acted in ‘Fated to Love You’ 4 years ago, he was already 38 years old then.

When asked about his advantages and charms over younger actors in an email interview, Jang Hyuk said with humor and confidence, "Younger actors have a sense of freshness and vitality. I think my greatest assest is my face, because it is one which people will not forget easily, haha!”

He added on a more serious note, “After acting for so many years, I have acquired knowledge and experience, I know how to work my charm. Also now, I am better at dealing with people, I guess these are my advantages”.

Since acting in ‘Fated to Love You’ in 2014, Jang Hyuk has taken on 2 saguek dramas ‘Shine or Go Crazy’, ‘Gakeju 2015’ as well as 3 modern dramas ‘Beautiful Mind’, ‘Voice’ and ‘Money Flower’, all of which consisted of heavy and complicated characters. This year, he returns to a romantic comedy with ‘Wok of Love’. He said, “Actually I would like to act in more comedies. I think that the challenge in romantic comedies is that in addition to being involved with the story, we need to have good chemistries with the other actors as well.  Most important is the atmosphere at the filming site, like the joyful atmosphere we are enjoying now, everyone can feel it when watching the series."

He also shared about the good working relationsip with his 2 partners Lee Jun-ho and Jung Ryeo-won in the drama. "Jun-ho has a good personality, we talk a lot to each other. Ryeo-won is a charming lady, her personality is similar to the role."

In ‘Wok of Love’, Jang Hyuk plays Doo Chil-sung, a money-lender full of humanity. Originally from a triad, he opens a Chinese restaurant in order to allow his former gang members to have a proper workplace. In the drama, although he likes Jung Ryeo-won, she likes Lee Jun-ho instead.

A lot of mouth-watering delicious Chinese dishes food also appear frequently in this drama. Jang Hyuk said, “I like the Chinese cuisine very much, such as sweet sour pork, dumplings and ma-po beancurd with rice. My favourite is jajyeongmeon”.

Jang Hyuk also revealed that his cooking skills are not bad. “I am best at making New York hotdogs, as well as kimchi pot, fried rabokki and rameon. I even make the soup base myself!” But he also admitted that “I am only good at making those dishes which I had done before, but if you give me a new recipe, it will be a big mess. It is really extreme!”

Because Jang Hyuk acts as the restaurant’s boss in the drama, he does not have the opportunity to enter the kitchen to show off his culinary skills. However he did have a chance to show off his singing and dancing skills in a comical KTV scene. When asked whether singing or dancing is more difficult for him, he said, “Both are hard! But since Doo Chil-sung is a character who does not sing or dance well in the first place, I just need to perform up to his standard!” But Jang Hyuk who had participated in a band during his school days, and even released an album before, reminded the reporter that “Although Doo Chil-sung does not sing or dance well, this does not mean that my singing or dancing is bad, haha!”

Doo Chil-sung is one who cherished his relationship with his brothers, and Jang Hyuk is similar so in real life. His good friends in the entertainment circle include Kim Jong-kook, Cha Tae-hyun, Hong  Kyung-min and Hong Kyung-in. Last year, these 5 friends born in the same year went on a 6 days 5 nights trip through the variety program ‘Dragon's Club’ and showed viewers their stong bond with each other.

Talking about this program, Jang Hyuk said, “We had know each other for more than 20 years, and it is unbelievable we still have so many things to chat about. Perhaps it is because that was the first time we went out together for so many days, so we really chatted a lot.” Jang Hyuk also added, “We used to see each other a lot, but now everyone is getting busier and we have our own families, there are less opportunities to meet up. We managed to reminisce a lot during this trip, and shared a lot our inner feelings. ‘Dragon's Club’ is a very precious experience for me.”

ZB_0711_CJ_doc70y2wc75f761k3s2yp1r_10144

Translated by : prettysup

Source https://www.zaobao.com.sg/zentertainment/k-pop/story20180711-874258

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, kohnlee said:

this other wider angle, u can see sweat on the floor!

Wow! you're so observant! I didn't even notice that.. zoomed into him straight..hahaha! 

17 minutes ago, kohnlee said:

Whats that guy doing there? Hahahah

I have no idea too...queuing for his turn to punch the bag or is he an instructor?  But the way he looked so intently at JH... haha! I cropped him away on purpose.. 

• LOL 2

10 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

Wow! you're so observant! I didn't even notice that.. zoomed into him straight..hahaha! 

I have no idea too...queuing for his turn to punch the bag or is he an instructor?  But the way he looked so intently at JH... haha! I cropped him away on purpose.. 

I noticed that ur videos on instagram are always cropped to a square frame. Didnt know that you did it purposely lol.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, jhjsw said:

Is it just me imagining or is his upper body getting bigger? His chest and his arms i mean. :D

I think so too.. unless I am imagining things since I am always enlarging his videos...lol.

@fiesty8001 your comment made me burst out laughing too loudly..:lol: 

@kohnlee I am observant now too..  Can you see drops of perspiration dripping from his arm in the video?:w00t:

• LOL 1