Choi Woo Shik 최우식

Guest jaerin07

[Herald Interview] Choi Woo-shik shows inner turmoil of killer in 'A Killer's Paradox'

20240216050708_0.jpg

South Korean actor Choi Woo-shik, known for his role in hit TV shows and movies such as "Our Beloved Summer (2021)," "Parasite (2019)," and "Train to Busan (2016)," said he tried to portray the emotional turmoil of a character faced with the ethical dilemma of condemning evil through murder, in his latest work, "A Killer's Paradox."

The 8-part Netflix original crime thriller drama series, based on the webtoon of the same title, tells the story of Yi Tang (Choi), a college student who unintentionally commits a series of murders.

When Yi later discovers that all his victims had done bad things, he comes to believe that he possesses a supernatural ability to identify wrongdoers and goes on a murder spree.

Detective Jang Nan-gam (Son Suk-ku) begins to suspect Yi's connection to the murders and embarks on a pursuit to capture him.

In portraying the character, Choi focused on showing the anxiety and doubts Yi feels about himself.

"I thought that if Yi had confidence in himself and his actions, namely murdering others, I would give a flat portrayal of the character," said Choi during an interview with reporters in Seoul on Wednesday.

"Throughout the series, I tried to depict the confusion of a character who is unsure and apprehensive," Choi said.

Personally, Choi said he did not agree with Yi's decision to condemn evil through killing. Choi said that if he saw numerous wrongdoings like Yi did, he would report them to the police instead of using his own "special ability."

"(While acting in the role of Yi), I kept asking myself what I would do. If I had such an ability, I think I would constantly report the things that happen around me. I don't agree with murdering people," said Choi.

"I saw a news story about someone who reported 12,000 instances of illegal parking in one year. I think I would become a professional reporter just like that person," said Choi.

When asked about what kind of roles he intends to take on going forward, Choi, who is known for his idiosyncratic portrayal of innocent and bubbly characters, said he is not in a hurry to change his image.

"In various works, I've portrayed many 'bouncy' characters," said Choi.

"Of course, I've always had a desire to change my image, but I found that I like the type of acting, which I can do naturally," he said.

"There was a time when I felt ... the need to show something different, new and changed. But now, I'm letting go of those pressures and taking things a bit easier," he said.

"Ironically, the more I let go, the more naturally I seem to be able to move in the direction I desire," said Choi.

All eight episodes of "A Killer's Paradox" are currently streaming on Netflix.

A scene from "A Killer's Paradox," starring Choi Woo-shik (Netflix)

credit : Korea Herald

Director, Choi Woo-shik say 'A Killer Paradox' is not vigilante story

1affc811-c27a-48ac-b38f-d8cd4dc1de35.jpg

Netflix series explores moral ambiguity
By Lee Gyu-lee

What are the chances that an ordinary college student would get involved in murders, especially where the victims are later revealed to be vicious criminals? Does this scenario represent merely a series of coincidental killings or is it a form of justice being served?

2503d2e4-8735-41f7-af3f-c3d090645809.jpg

“A Killer Paradox" director Lee Chang-hee / Courtesy of Netflix

Netflix’s new original series “A Killer Paradox” explores this complex and debatable ethical conundrum through the story of college student Lee Tang (played by Choi Woo-shik), who finds himself in extraordinary situations.

“I wanted to throw up a question on what it would be like to have a figure like Lee Tang in real life. He is a character who continuously questions whether killing wrongdoers is his special gift or a mere coincidence until the end,” the series’ director Lee Chang-hee said during an interview with The Korea Times at a cafe in Jongno District, Seoul, Wednesday.

Based on the hit webtoon of the same name, the thriller crime series follows the story of Lee Tang, who accidentally kills a man who attacks him, only to later discover that the dead man was a serial killer. One killing leads to another and he realizes he has a sense that enables him to detect criminals, and finds a new purpose in life with the help of hacker Noh Bin (played by Kim Yo-han).

While caught in an endless cat-and-mouse chase with shrewd detective Jang Nan-gam (Son Suk-ku), the rookie killer goes on to murder heinous criminal after heinous criminal until everything becomes complicated with the appearance of Song Chon (played by Lee Hee-joon), a former detective who is himself far from innocent.

The eight-part series, which hit the streaming site on Feb. 9, soon climbed to second place on Netflix’s top 10 streaming chart for non-English TV series.

The director, whose previous work includes the 2019 thriller series “Watch Strangers from Hell,” clarified that he didn’t want to portray Lee Tang as a vigilante.

“I had no intention of creating a dark hero. I simply thought it could offer an entertaining thrill with the fictional aspect, kind of feeling satisfaction vicariously,” he said.

c26b6abe-8cb6-4e7c-8f39-7f68eee17229.jpg

A scene from the series "A Killer Paradox" / Courtesy of Netflix

Choi also disagreed with those who see Lee Tang as a vigilante, referring to him rather as "a college kid on the edge."

“Many people say the series is of the dark hero genre but I kind of disagree with that. I felt it is about Lee’s process of compromising … Lee felt he was pushed to the edge and moved forward in a self-destructive state. So I put weight on how a normal college student would feel after killing somebody and what face he would make,” the actor said, adding that he paid great attention to making the character realistic.

“I don’t think Lee came to the point where he told himself ‘I can just kill this person,’ even during his murders. I portrayed him as someone who gave up on life … In depicting the color Lee had in the original work, I tried to make him down-to-earth and not dramatic. Following his emotions was very important.”

The series features contrasting bright and dark tones — visually and sorytelling-wise — to breathe life into the unorthodox webtoon.

The director, who prides himself on capturing reality in his works, shared that it was difficult to adopt the uniquely fictional depictions.

“As a director, I think my biggest strength is reality. So I brought the webtoon elements to the ground (in the adaptation) but it came out awkward. I grappled with how viewers would perceive the clashes of contrasting elements like realistic vs. unrealistic characters and observing vs. imaginative scenes,” he said.

“It was interesting how the contradictory characters collide in the original works. From a directorial standpoint, I saw it as the opportunity to break free from conventional formats and grammar, giving me a new creative challenge.”

Spoiler

cf6f7caf-4c13-4a1a-9a66-027edee758d8.jpg

Despite the series’ popularity with its stylish cinematographic techniques and the actors’ compelling performances, it has not been without controversy. The series faced a backlash when an accusation was raised that one of its villainous characters resembles Rep. Lee Jae-myung, chairman of the main opposition Democratic Party of Korea (DPK).

The accusation alleges that the series’ character of the chairman, who runs an illegal business, committing multiple crimes along the way, bears strong visual similarities to the politician and features Easter egg-like details about him, particularly the character's prisoner number and him eating sushi in prison, which appears to reference the real-life chairman and his wife's involvement in a land development scandal and the use of a government credit card to purchase personal items.

The director denied the allegation saying all of the details were just coincidental, as the series aims to entertain and provoke thought, rather than serve as a platform for political commentary.

“I’m just bewildered. It’s absolutely not true. If I were to reflect my political views in my work, I wouldn’t have done it in that petty way. And I think injecting my political opinions secretly into a work that is not a political genre is inappropriate and unfair. I see it as an incident that happened because a lot of people have watched it over the weekend,” he said, emphasizing that it started from one online user.

“The accusation started from a post made two days after the release. But if I had intentionally hinted at a specific politician, wouldn't it have arisen immediately after the release? I just want to emphasize that I don't have enough of a strong interest in politics for my work to contain a hidden political agenda.”

credit : Korea Times

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2024/02/688_368947.html

*** On February 20, STARNEWS reported that Go Min Si may be joining  “Jinny’s Kitchen 2” as a new intern! On February 15, a representative of tvN confirmed that most of the cast members including Park Seo JoonJung Yu Mi, and Choi Woo Shik will be returning for the second season. Wait & see for more updates!   :kitty:

source : https://www.starnewskorea.com/stview.php?no=2024022010484939783

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Go Min Si Reported To Join “Jinny’s Kitchen 2” Cast + tvN Briefly Comments

20240220054949_go-min-si-jinnys-kitchen.

Go Min Si may be joining the tvN variety show “Jinny’s Kitchen 2” as a new intern!

On February 20, STARNEWS reported that Go Min Si received an offer to star on the upcoming season of tvN’s variety program “Jinny’s Kitchen,” which is scheduled to be filmed in March, and is negotiating her schedule. It was also reported that she will join the cast as the youngest intern.

In response to the report, a source from tvN briefly commented, “Please understand that we cannot confirm for the sake of a safe and smooth filming schedule.”

Previously on February 15, tvN officially announced the return of “Jinny’s Kitchen” with a new season. The next day, a representative of tvN confirmed that most of the cast members including Park Seo JoonJung Yu Mi, and Choi Woo Shik will be returning for the second season. BTS’s V, the only other cast member from the first season, is unable to join Season 2 as he is currently completing his military service.

Helmed by PD (producing director) Na Young Suk, “Jinny’s Kitchen” is a spin-off series of the popular reality show “Youn’s Kitchen” featuring a new restaurant run by Lee Seo Jin who was promoted from the director of Youn’s Kitchen to the boss of the new restaurant.

Stay tuned for more updates!

credit : soompi news

Go Min Si to Bring Fresh Energy to ‘Jinny’s Kitchen 2’? The Latest on Casting Rumors

gominsi.png

The entertainment landscape is abuzz with the possibility of Go Min Si joining the lineup of tvN’s upcoming variety show Jinny’s Kitchen 2. According to a Starnews on the 20th, the Sweet Home actress is currently in talks, adjusting her schedule to possibly participate in the show, set to start filming in March.

In response to the swirling rumors, tvN shared with Newsen, “We ask for your understanding as we cannot confirm details in order to ensure a safe and smooth shooting schedule.”

Jinny’s Kitchen 2 is gearing up to be an exciting follow-up, with actor Lee Seo Jin leading the pack alongside returning members like Park Seo Joon, Jung Yu Mi, and Choi Woo Shik. The team is reportedly scheduled to head to Iceland in March, promising another season of adventures and camaraderie.

The show has garnered additional attention for the spot left by BTS’s V, who was the beloved youngest intern in Season 1 and is currently serving in the military. Fans and viewers alike are curious to see if Go Min Si will step in to fill the vacancy and what new dynamics she could bring to the ensemble.

source : https://v.daum.net/v/20240220115351766

10 Most Popular Netflix Programs Currently In Korea (Based On February 20, 2024 Data)

netflix-program-ranking-most-popular-20-

1. "A Killer Paradox"

2. "Doctor Slump"

3. "Jjajangmyeon Rhapsody"

4. "Captivating the King"

5. "Solo Leveling"

6. "House of Ninjas"

7. "Jun HyunMoo's Plan"

8. "Korea-Khitan War"

9. "Eye Love You"

10. "My Happy Ending"

'A Killer Paradox' tops Netflix's non-English TV chart

SEOUL, Feb. 21 (Yonhap) -- The Korean original series "A Killer Paradox" rose to No. 1 on Netflix's weekly chart for non-English TV series, the global streaming service said Wednesday.

The crime thriller garnered 5.5 million total views during the Feb. 12-18 period.

Adapted from Kkomabi's Naver webtoon, the eight-episode drama follows the student-turned-vigilante Lee Tang (Choi Woo-shik), the relentless detective Jang Nan-gam (Son Suk-ku of "My Liberation Notes") and the mysterious ex-detective-turned-killer Song Chon (Lee Hee-joon of "Badland Hunters"). Jang and Song are both on Lee's trail for different reasons.

Posters of "A Killer Paradox" are shown in this image provided by Netflix. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Posters of "A Killer Paradox" are shown in this image provided by Netflix. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr
(END)

credit : Yonhap News

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20240221001800315?section=culture/entertainment

*** "A Killer Paradox"  has the unique and imaginative nature of the show. There was one scene during episode two where  Choi Woo Shik was trying to showcase how it feels to be blackmailed, and they used the analogy of being like a dog on a leash. It was just as bizarre but perfect for me as Choi Woo Shik went to extreme lengths to create authenticity for the scene. I was shocked and confused by what I had just watched. Was that scene really needed? He must be paid good here - hahaha -   :Megalol:   :kitty:

en-US_akp_main_duo_vertical_27x4.jpg

*** It’s official that Choi Woo Shik together with  Park Bo Young, Lee Jun Young, Jeon So Nee will be starring in the upcoming dramaMelo Movie”.  “Melo Movie” delves into the lives of young individuals who are used to always pretending to be fine in the face of hardships. Despite of the title, the drama is a comical romance, written by the scriptwriter of “Our Beloved Summer.” The drama will also be helmed by director of “Hotel Del Luna,” and more. Choi Woo Shik will play Go Kyum, an actor who takes on extra roles but becomes a film critic. Wow..... I'm happy for Choi Woo Shik that after "A Killer Paradox" he has another drama soon. No rest, huh? I am glad that this is another Netflix drama of him.   :blush:

choi-woo-shik-park-bo-young.jpeg

0000215536_001_20240222091401413.jpg?typ

source : https://entertain.naver.com/now/read?oid=408&aid=0000215536

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Choi Woo Shik, Park Bo Young, Lee Jun Young, And Jeon So Nee Confirmed For Drama By “Our Beloved Summer” Writer

20240222020123_melo-movie-1.jpeg?s=900x6

It’s official—Choi Woo Shik, Park Bo Young, Lee Jun Young, Jeon So Nee will be starring in the upcoming drama “Melo Movie” together!

“Melo Movie” delves into the lives of young individuals who are used to always pretending to be fine in the face of hardships. Now, they aspire to experience love and fulfill their dreams yet find themselves drained and exhausted from the relentless hardships they endure.

Despite its initial impression of having a somber undertone, the drama is a comical romance written by Lee Na Eun, the scriptwriter of “Our Beloved Summer.” The drama will also be helmed by director Oh Choong Hwan of “Castaway Diva,” “Big Mouth,” “Start-Up,” “Hotel Del Luna,” and more.

Choi Woo Shik will play Go Kyum, an actor who takes on extra roles but becomes a film critic. Go Kyum loves films to the extent that his dream is to watch all the movies in the world. Eventually, he meets Kim Moo Bi, who he is interested in even just from her name, which sounds like “movie,” and is curious about like how he is curious for the laws of romance film.

Park Bo Young will play Kim Moo Bi, who enters the film industry out of curiosity due to her love-hate relationship for her father who considered films to be more important than her. Despite wanting to live quietly, she faces changes in her life after meeting Go Kyum—who excessively stands out in life.

Spoiler

choi-woo-shik-park-bo-young.jpeg

In addition, Lee Jun Young will take on the role of unknown composer Hong Si Joon who prides himself in being a genius. Meanwhile, Jeon So Nee will play Hong Si Joon’s ex-girlfriend and scriptwriter Son Joo Ah.

lee-jun-young-jeon-so-nee.jpeg melo-movie.jpeg

Stay tuned for more updates on the drama!

*** I noticed that Park Bo Young has been paired to the (3) Wooga Squad members, Park Hyung Sik (Strong Girl Bong Soon) and Park Seo Joon (Concrete Utopia). Choi Woo Shik will be the third member of the Wooga Squad that Park Bo Young will have starred alongside. I love it that she's working with each member of the Wooga Squad. Now, who will be next? V or Peakboy - hahaha -   :Megalol:   :heart2beat:

Top 10 Hottest Korean Actors And Must-Watch K-Dramas Dominating Discussions In The 3rd Week Of February 2024 (Good Data Corporation)

Here is the full ranking of the Hottest Korean Dramas for the 3rd week of February:

1. "Marry My Husband"

2. "A Killer Paradox"

3. "Knight Flower"

5. "Doctor Slump"

6. "Korea-Khitan War"

7. "A Shop For Killers"

8. "Queen of Divorce"

9. "FlexxCop"

10. "Queen Of Tears"

Here is the full ranking of the Hottest Korean Actors for the 3rd week of February:

1. Park MinYoung - "Marry My Husband"

2. Lee YiKyung - "Marry My Husband" 

3.  Song HaYoon - "Marry My Husband"

4. Cho JungSeok - "Captivating the King"

5. Lee Hanee - "Knight Flower"

6. Shin SaeKyeong - "Captivating the King"

7. Choi WooShik - "A Killer Paradox"

8. Na InWoo - "Marry My Husband"

9. BoA - "Marry My Husband"

10. Lee JongWon - "Knight Flower"

[New Drama] "Melo Movie"

photo1778700.jpg

"Melo Movie" (2024)

Directed by Oh Choong-hwan

Written by Lee Na-eun-I

Network: Netflix

With Choi Wooshik, Park Bo-young, Lee Jun-young, Jeon So-nee, Kim Jae-wook,...

Synopsis
A story about ambiguous youth who want to fall in love and achieve their dreams, a movie-like moment where they became each other's inspiration.

Broadcast starting date in Korea : 2024

*** This is the list from Good Data Corporation’s weekly list of the TV dramas/actors that generated the most buzz. The company determines each week’s rankings by collecting data from news articles, blog posts, online communities, videos, and social media about dramas that are either currently airing or set to air soon. While the drama list only includes series airing on broadcast television, the newly integrated actor list also includes cast members from OTT shows—and “A Killer Paradox” starring Choi Woo Shik made this week’s list at No. 7.  :Ohboy3:

Top Buzzworthy Drama And Actor Rankings For 7th Week In A Row

1. Park Min Young (“Marry My Husband”)
  2. Lee Yi Kyung (“Marry My Husband”)
  3. Song Ha Yoon (“Marry My Husband”)
  4. Jo Jung Suk (“Captivating the King”)
  5. Honey Lee (“Knight Flower”)
  6. Shin Se Kyung (“Captivating the King”)
  7. Choi Woo Shik (“A Killer Paradox”)
  8. Na In Woo (“Marry My Husband”)
  9. BoA (“Marry My Husband”)
  10. Lee Jong Won (“Knight Flower”)

10 Most Popular Netflix Programs Currently In Korea (Based On February 27, 2024 Data)

Netflix-Top-10-Feb-27-01.png

1. "A Killer Paradox"

2. "Doctor Slump"

3. "Risqué Business: The Netherlands and Germany"

4. "Avatar: The Last Airbender"

5. "Captivating The King"

6. "Jun HyunMoo's Plan"

7. "Eye Love You"

8. "Korea-Khitan War"

9. "Jjajangmyeon Rhapsody"

10. "Ghost Doctor"

*** The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for actors!

The rankings were determined through a data analysis of the media coverage, participation, interaction, and community indexes of 100 actors who appeared in dramas, movies, or OTT content released between January 27 and February 27.   :Twerkdatbutt:

Check out the top 30 for this month below!

1. Ma Dong Seok
  2. Choi Min Sik
  3. Son Suk Ku
  4. Honey Lee
  5. Lee Yi Kyung
  6. Song Kang
  7. Song Ha Yoon
  8. Na In Woo
  9. Park Min Young
  10. Shin Hye Sun
  11. Go Yoon Jung
  12. Park Hyung Sik
  13. Shin Se Kyung
  14. Kim Hye Joon
  15. Ji Chang Wook
  16. Gong Yoo
  17. Ahn Bo Hyun
  18. Jo Jung Suk
  19. Choi Woo Shik
  20. Chae Jong Hyeop
  21. Kim Yoo Jung
  22. Na Moon Hee
  23. Esom
  24. Kim Go Eun
  25. Im Siwan
  26. Park Shin Hye
  27. Jung Woo Sung
  28. Ahn Jae Hong
  29. Lee Jong Won
  30. Gong Myung

110803_236886_5936.jpg

110803_236887_5946.jpg

source : https://www.gpkorea.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=110803

5 K-Dramas That Perfectly Nailed The Enemies-To-Lovers Trope, According To Viewers

Viewers had few complaints, if any.

While there are many tropes that viewers get tired of seeing in K-Dramas, enemies-to-lovers isn’t one of them. But only a few dramas have mastered doing it perfectly. Here are five that viewers chose as the best in the genre.

3. Our Beloved Summer (2021)

Choi Woo Shik and Kim Da Mi‘s Our Beloved Summer gave the enemies-to-lovers trope a refreshing twist.

our-beloved-summer.jpg

Viewers enjoyed how the drama showed the leads’ journey from enemies to lovers twice: through their teenage years and as adults.

source : https://www.koreaboo.com/lists/best-k-dramas-enemies-lovers-trope-viewers-netflix-kbs-sbs/

Top 10 Must-Watch K-Dramas Dominating Discussions In The 4th Week Of February 2024 (Good Data Corporation)

1. "Marry My Husband"

2. "A Killer Paradox"

3. "Korea-Khitan War"

5. "Doctor Slump"

6. "FlexxCop"

7. "Queen Of Tears"

8. "Love Song For Illusion"

9. "Queen of Divorce"

10. "Live Your Own Life"

10 Most Popular Netflix Programs Currently In Korea (Based On March 5, 2024 Data)

netflix-program-ranking-most-popular-5-m

1. "A Killer Paradox" 

2. "Doctor Slump"

3. "Captivating the King" 

4. "Solo Leveling" 

5. "Avatar: The Last Airbender" 

6. "Korea-Khitan War"

7. "Ghost Doctor" 

8. "The Eminence in Shadow" 

9. "Risque Business: The Netherlands/Germany"

10. "Jun HyunMoo's Plan" 

10 Most Popular Netflix Programs Currently In Korea (Based On March 12, 2024 Data)

netflix-program-ranking-most-popular-12-

1. "Queen of Tears"

2. "A Killer Paradox"

3. "Doctor Slump"

4. "Solo Leveling"

5. "Korea-Khitan War"

6. "The Gentlemen"

7. "Jun HyunMoo's Plan"

8. "The Apothecary Diaries"

9. "Captivating the King"

10. "Ghost Doctor"