Choi Woo Shik 최우식

Guest jaerin07

***  “A Killer Paradox” landed in the top 10 in 52 countries and regions, including the Philippines, on Netflix. The drama was partially shot in the Philippines last year. According to FlixPatrol, “A Killer Paradox” landed at No. 2 on Netflix in the Philippines on Feb. 10. It is No. 1 in South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam. The series is also in the top 10 in Argentina, Austria, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, France, Germany, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Jamaica, Japan, Kuwait, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Maldives, Martinique, Mauritius, Mexico, Morocco, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Qatar, Reunion, Salvador, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates, and Venezuela. Based on FlixPatrol’s proprietary ranking system, “A Killer Paradox” is No. 7 overall on Netflix among shows on Feb. 10.   :kisslevel:

Flix3_c3365b22e5.jpeg

Killer_Paradox1_5f5e3ade30.jpeg

*** In March last year, Choi Woo-shik was filming "A Killer Paradox" in Navotas City, Manila Philippines. Photos and videos were circulated on social media. In fact, Netflix recently dropped a two-minute clip from the show's eighth episode, showing the scenes that Choi filmed in Navotas and neighboring Manila.   :Ohboy3:

credit : ABS-CBN news

10 Most Popular Netflix Programs Currently In Korea (Based On February 13, 2024 Data)

*** (retrieved on February 13, 10:49 AM KST, data of February 12).

netflix-program-ranking-most-popular-13-

1. "A Killer Paradox"

2. "Jjajangmyeon Rhapsody"

3. "Doctor Slump"

4. "Captivating the King"

5. "Solo Leveling"

6. "The Bequeathed"

7. "Eye Love You" 

8. "The Apothecary Diaries" 

9. "Delicious in Dungeon"

10. "GyeongSeong Creature" 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*** "A Killer Paradox" is currently The 4th Most Popular TV Show on Netflix worldwide on February 11, 2024.  The drama is yet to be available for a number of countries.   :kisslevel:

Netflix-A-Killer-Paradox-Flixpatrol-768x

A-Killer-Paradox-Flixpatrol.png

*** "A Killer Paradox" is worth watching. In essence, the characters in "A Killer Paradox" are all flawed, but the path they each take and the choices they make are what keep us on our toes. Plot aside, "A Killer Paradox" is a work of art. Although, the drama seems to lose its own plot as it goes on, with too many detours.   :kitty:

a-killer-paradox-netflix-poster.png

*** "A Killer Paradox" got entangled in controversy as one of the characters of a criminal resembles a politician Lee Jae Myung who is the leader of the main opposition Democratic Party of Korea. Netflix rubbished such claims and called them 'absolutely baseless'. The character of Hyeong Jeong Guk who is a corrupt politician in the series has been called out for the resemblance in look with the opposition leader.   :kaching3:

839671359_killer-paradox.jpg

*** "A Killer Paradox" is drawing a hot response both in Korea and overseas. Forbes described the drama as a well-plotted mystery thriller full of twisty fun surprise.” They praised the series, stating, “The camera work and angsty sound effects heighten a sense of unease, yet, ultimately the compelling nature of this drama relies on the acting talents of Choi and Son.South China Morning Post drew a unique comparison, describing the lead character Lee Tang as a “stylish private investigator hero,” stating, “Choi Woo Shik embraces his dark side in stylish vigilant thriller with a hokey twist. He becomes a K-drama mash-up of Batman and Dexter – a serial killer who kills serial killers.” Decider offered high praise, commenting that “while A Killer Paradox seems like a pretty straightforward show, it should have a lot of tense moments. Maybe there will also be some twists along the way.” It also recorded a perfect 100% freshness rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Reviewer Butwhytho calls it “Darkly humorous, violent, and never boring, A Killer Paradox is a morality thriller like no other. What begins as a comedy of errors and morphs into a deep detective thriller, it’s one of the finest series on Netflix.”   :Fist1:

Netflix Series ‘A Killer Paradox’ Sparks Controversy With Character’s Resemblance to Real-life Politician

killerbos.png

Netflix’s latest buzzworthy creation, A Killer Paradox, has found itself at the center of controversy shortly after its release. The show, which debuted on the streaming giant on the 9th, features a character, Hyung Sung Kook, a construction company chairman embroiled in various corruption charges. With his white hair swept back and round glasses, the character dons a prisoner’s uniform marked with the number 4421, a detail that quickly became a talking point among viewers.

Some audiences have raised eyebrows, pointing out unsettling similarities between this fictional character and Lee Jae Myung, the leader of the Democratic Party of Korea. From his appearance to specific plot points, such as a scene where Hyung Sung Kook enjoys eel sushi in a visitation room and his prison number’s speculated significance, critics argue the show maliciously borrows from Lee Jae Myung’s real-life narrative. Furthermore, a scene where Hyung is stabbed in the neck by Song Chon (Lee Hee Joon) has been interpreted as a nod to an attack on Lee Jae Myung.

In response to the swirling controversy, Netflix addressed the allegations on the 11th, stating, “We have become aware of the discussions circulating online. The assertions are completely without merit. The prisoner number of Chairman Hyung Sung Kook in the show does not carry any significant meaning. It is in no way related to any real-life individuals.”

news-p.v1.20240212.240f493d098846ed888ceb910b9bf641_P1.jpg

Credit: Webtoon

A Killer Paradox is based on a webtoon of the same name released in 2010. Given its original simplistic and exaggerated art style, drawing direct parallels between the show’s character design and real-life figures seems challenging.

source : https://www.sportsseoul.com/news/read/1398218?ref=naver

*** Park Seo Joon is the best supportive friend ever! He shared via Instagram Stories that he was catching up on his friends’ shows. He actually binge-watched A Killer Paradox since it premiered with all eight episodes. We all need a supportive friend like Seo Joon!  :happydance:

MV5BZjZhM2IyZTktNjFiZS00NWFlLTg0NzMtMzIx

Screenshot_20240212_234315_Instagram-e17

*** Now,  “A Killer Paradox” is at No.2 on Netflix’s official weekly Global Top 10 list of the most watched shows and films on the video streaming platform.  According to Netflix, “A Killer Paradox” debuted at No. 2 with 3.1 million views on the non-English TV list for the chart period Feb. 5 to 11. In the Philippines, “A Killer Paradox” debuted at No. 2 for the period.   :yaaa:

Here are Netflix’s Global Top 10 lists for the period Feb. 5 to 11: 

TV (Non-English)

top10_tv_non_english_2_feb_5_feb_11_2024

TV IN THE PHILIPPINES (Source: Netflix) 

RANK

TITLE

WEEKS IN TOP 10
1 Doctor Slump: Limited Series 3
2 A Killer Paradox: Season 1 1
3 Solo Leveling: Season 1 5
4 Can't Buy Me Love: Season 1 18
5 House, M.D.: Season 1 1
6 Alexander: The Making of a God: Season 1 2
7 My Demon: Limited Series 12
8 The Seven Deadly Sins: Four Knights of the Apocalypse: Season 1 1
9 Captivating the King: Limited Series 3
10 MF Ghost: Season 1

A_Killer_Paradox_Unit_101_191108_jpg_A_K

*** Netflix Korea opened an event titled “Finding Awkward Names” through its official Instagram on Feb 11th. The purpose of this event is to provide a bit of “name luck” to those who have suffered losses in life due to somewhat peculiar names, such as the characters in the drama, Lee Tang (played by Choi Woo-sik) and Jang Nan-gam (played by Son Suk-ku). Five winners selected through a draw among participants will receive “A Killer Paradox” merchandise. Many people showed interest. As of noon on the deadline day of the event, Feb 13th, over 550 people participated by leaving comments. Participants in the “Finding Awkward Names” event shared their experiences of embarrassment caused by their names along with their names. The participant who received the most support from netizens was someone with the name “Son Ggobhin”. They expressed their frustration, “When I explain my name over the phone, people can’t understand it. When I say ‘Ggobhin’ while on the subway, they stare at me because they think I’m saying ‘Ggob’ in ‘bae-ggob (belly button)’ and ‘Hin’ in ‘Hinduism’.“ Another person with the name “Son Charisma” drew attention by saying, “I won’t explain anything special. It’s my real name, and I’ve never changed it.“ While these names are rare and unique, some people felt uncomfortable with that uniqueness from time to time. Besides, individuals with names similar to or the same as famous figures, such as Lee Jaeyong, Lee Jaemyung, Park Geunhye, Yoo Jaeseo, Jun Jihyun, Won Bin, Park Yeonjin, also shared their own grievances.   :kitty:

source : https://www.wikitree.co.kr/articles/926588

*** On February 15, SPOTV News reported that “Jinny’s Kitchen” will be back with another season but, this time without V. We all know that he's in the military right now. “Jinny’s Kitchen” will be leaving for Iceland in mid-March to begin filming for Season 2. With Lee Seo Jin’s lead, cast members including Park Seo Joon, are reported to showcase tight teamwork in Season 2. I hope Choi Woo Shik is able to join again. I'm excited for Season 2 of “Jinny’s Kitchen”.  I can't wait!!! And wow......... Iceland!   :kaching3:

0003329964_001_20240215121501264.png?typ

source : https://entertain.naver.com/now/read?oid=241&aid=0003329964

'Deepfake' technology behind childhood versions of 'A Killer Paradox' actors

Scenes from Netflix original series ″A Killer Paradox,″ with actor Son Suk-ku, left, and the child version of his character realized using ″deepfake″ technology [SCREEN CAPTURE]

Scenes from Netflix original series ″A Killer Paradox,″ with actor Son Suk-ku, left, and the child version of his character realized using ″deepfake″ technology [SCREEN CAPTURE]

The childhood face of actor Son Suk-ku in the Netflix original series “A Killer Paradox,” which attracted much attention for its amazing similarity to the adult actor, was realized through "deepfake" technology.

Series director Lee Chang-hee revealed the fact during a group interview with reporters at a cafe in Jung District, central Seoul, on Wednesday.

“A child actor played Son’s part and the face was recreated by collecting photos of Son when he was younger and adding special effects – 'deepfake,' to be precise – to it,” said Lee. “We didn’t have many photos of him when he was younger, so we drew image models.”

A lot of the budget for “A Killer Paradox” was spent on the "deepfake" technology for the child version of Son, said Lee, to the point that the producers asked if it was necessary, but the director decided to so “for the sake of reality.”

All of the characters’ scenes from the past were created using "deepfake" technology, and that is why there was no dialogue spoken by the child actors. Supporting character Gyeong-ah, played by actor Lim Se-joo, who has undergone plastic surgery in the series, was also depicted in a past version through special effects.

“A Killer Paradox” is based on an original webtoon of the same name by author Kkomabi, and tells the story about a seemingly ordinary college student who commits an accidental murder and becomes a killing machine after discovering that he has the ability to identify evildoers. Actors Choi Woo-shik and Son star in the main roles, and the series has topped Netflix’s rankings of non-English shows globally at No. 2 as it landed in the top 10 in 19 countries.

BY HAN JEE-HYE, LIM JEONG-WON [lim.jeongwon@joongang.co.kr]

credit : JoongAngDaily

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/2024-02-15/entertainment/television/Deepfake-technology-behind-childhood-versions-of-A-Killer-Paradox-actors/1981709

'A Killer Paradox' actor Choi Woo-shik calls his character's power to sense wrongdoers 'curse'

By Woo Jae-yeon

SEOUL, Feb. 14 (Yonhap) -- In the Netflix Korean original series "A Killer Paradox," actor Choi Woo-shik plays a morally ambiguous character whose life is turned upside down overnight after involuntarily killing a man.

After discovering his uncanny talent to spot the worst criminals, Choi's character, Lee Tang, begins -- rather unwillingly -- to get rid of those who "deserve" to die. But he soon finds himself in a state of moral conflict from becoming a serial killer who kills serial killers.

"I think Lee's talent is a curse," the actor said during an interview with local reporters in Seoul on Wednesday. "No one deserves to die."

"If I were Lee Tang, I would have reported them to police (rather than killing them)," he said. "I would have easily been a professional complainer," he added, inducing laughter from the reporters.

Actor Choi Woo-shik is shown in this photo provided by Netflix on Feb. 14, 2024. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Actor Choi Woo-shik is shown in this photo provided by Netflix on Feb. 14, 2024. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Adapted from Kkomabi's Naver webtoon, the eight-episode crime thriller follows the student-turned-vigilante Lee, the relentless detective Jang Nan-gam (Son Suk-ku of "My Liberation Notes) and the mysterious ex-detective-turned-killer Song Chon (Lee Hee-joon of "Badland Hunters"). Jang and Song are both on Lee's trail for different reasons.

Premiered last Friday, the show debuted at No. 2 on the non-English TV series chart on the global streaming service for the week of Feb. 5, garnering 3.1 million views.

Halfway through the series, Lee Tang's attitude and appearance change after seemingly accepting the new calling of doling out his own vigilante justice. He dyes his eyebrows light brown and sports a biker's jacket and sunglasses.

But the changes are not too dramatic, compared with the transformation in the original webtoon. The actor said that was intentional, although he did try to gain weight and build more muscle in the beginning to visualize the internal changes Lee Tang is going through.

"I tried to bulk, but it wasn't that easy," he said, admitting he was under a lot of stress doing that.

"I think Lee Tang essentially remains the same person" despite what is happening to and around him, he said. "After all, I didn't want to express the change merely through a bigger body."

A poster of "A Killer Paradox" is shown in this image provided by Netflix. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

A poster of "A Killer Paradox" is shown in this image provided by Netflix. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The 33-year-old actor performed his first leading role in the 2014 coming-of-age drama "Set Me Free," a movie, the actor said, that showed his "true self" and "changed my life."

"It's been nearly 10 years since the movie came out ... For the past 10 years, I've been showing many different versions of myself that I didn't even know that I have."

What matters the most these days, the actor said, is having great chemistry and connection with other co-stars and "feeling happy" while working. A critical and commercial success is of only secondary importance, he said, while admitting he still looked up the show's ranking on the Netflix viewing chart.

"I feel so lucky to do what I love so much for a living," he said. "I really hope 'A Killer Paradox' becomes successful as I enjoyed so much filming the show with other great cast members who are really close to me."

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr
(END)

credit : Yonhap News

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20240214009700315?section=culture/entertainment

*** During a recent interview for Netflix's 'A Killer Paradox', where he showcased a bold and new image as a serial killer, Choi Wooshik candidly admitted to having a strong desire for image transformation in the past, "I don't have it now, but I definitely had that ambition in the past. I used to think, 'I don't want to wear a school uniform anymore, I want to ride horses and shoot guns. I want to film shower scenes. But not anymore these days. I enjoy building my image through the characters I play and showing something new after accumulating it gradually. Someday, wrinkles might appear on my face, and a different aura might naturally come out of me, even without me doing anything. I believe I can undergo image changes naturally."   :kicks:

20240216_042210_150_125%204.jpeg

source : Gstarlive

*** I'm happy that Park Seo Joon and Choi Woo Shik will reunite in S2 of "Jinny's Kitchen":. The production team is now set to head to Iceland in March for Season 2’s filming, with the cast facing the task of adjusting their packed schedules to make it work. Park Seo Joon has commercial shoots lined up for early to mid-March, Jung Yu Mi, even with no projects lined up currently, needs to coordinate her advertising and photoshoot schedules, and Choi Woo Shik is preparing for the first shoot of his new drama Romance Movie at the end of March.    :heart4:

0003215146_001_20240216110701213.jpg?typ

source : https://entertain.naver.com/ranking/read?oid=108&aid=0003215146

Top 10 Must-Watch K-Dramas Dominating Discussions In The 2nd Week Of February 2024 (Good Data Corporation)

1. "Marry My Husband"

2. "Captivating the King"

3. "A Killer Paradox"

4. "A Shop For Killers"

5. "Knight Flower"

6. "Doctor Slump"

7. "Queen of Divorce"

8. "Korea-Khitan War"

9. "Love Song for Illusion"

10. "LTNS"