Choi Woo Shik 최우식

Guest jaerin07

4 New K-Dramas You Need To Watch In February

Romance isn’t the only type of K-Drama releasing in February.

6dvupPVlL5cOruzezkT5lQVuev990v-Z47-pW3Zr

2. A Killer Paradox — February 9

Actors Choi Woo Shik and Son Suk Ku star in Netflix‘s newest thriller, adapted from a webtoon. After a college student accidentally murders a serial killer, he gains the ability to sense other criminals and decides to murder them as well. But as his crimes pile up, a detective is on the hunt for the college student.

9B_fuKjtE9MpREphdB6LAYR_Z1KbBfK2xC9EgFc6JuyihWdx34BkDI6IBN7xklynND38ODMxc6y57DXbkvkEYqaEkyipLc7dZHSi_SDIhG67h04=w960-nu-rj-l80-e365

source : https://www.koreaboo.com/lists/anticipated-k-dramas-watch-february-2024-romance-thriller/

*** On January 30, producer Na Young-seok went live on YouTube with the leads of JTBC's drama 'Doctor Slump' Park Hyung Sik and Park Shin Hye. Before officially beginning their talk, Na Young-seok said, "Actually, a group of people have come to join our live broadcast for a bit. You guys will probably be very surprised when you see them. Please welcome Seo Joon and Woo Shik, everyone!" Here, Park Seo Joon and Choi Woo Shik were seen sweating when they were asked if they watched their close friend latest work. After saying hi to each other, Na Young-seok asked, "You know that we're here to talk about 'Doctor Slump' today, right? What did you think of 'Doctor Slump'? Choi Woo Shik answered, "Hyung Sik showed us some videos and photos from the shooting when he was busy filming the drama, and I couldn't help but notice how great Hyung Sik looked. This project really seemed to bring out Hyung Sik's handsomeness." Na Young-seok commented, "I mean, don't we all know that Hyung Sik's good-looking? Tell us what you thought about the story." Choi Woo Shik hesitated to give a prompt response to his comment; he then said, "Umm... I've been so hectic lately, and..." To this, Park Hyung Sik playfully told him to go and watch his new series out of the studio, and Choi Woo Shik rushed out the door. As Choi Woo Shik was already out, all eyes turned to Park Seo Joon; he also could not give them the answer they wanted to hear. Park Seo Joon stated, "I... I really... Oh, someone's calling me now. Let me get this," avoiding the talk; both of their responses made all laugh. When Choi Woo Shik returned, Park Seo Joon and Choi Woo Shik told the viewers, "'Doctor Slump' is a fun drama, so definitely check it out! We have to go now, but we'll see you again soon. Bye," then left. After they were gone, Park Hyung Sik said, "It was nice to see them, because it's hard for us to find time to see each other much." Then, Na Young-seok explained why they had come in the first place, then left quickly, "Seo Joon and Woo Shik were here for Seo Jin's birthday dinner earlier. After dinner, they just stood around for a while to see Hyung Sik. What amazing friends!"   :heartxoxo:

201889047_700.webp

201889046_700.webp

source : SBS Star

*** I really admire the close and strong friendship among the three, actually the Wooga Squad. Unfortunately, V is currently serving in the military and couldn’t attend Lee Seo-jin’s birthday celebration that night to support his friend Park Hyung-sik as well.    :smooches2:

Son Suk-ku, Choi Woo-shik explore ethics of eye for an eye in ‘A Killer Paradox'

South Korean actors Son Suk-ku and Choi Woo-shik will raise a philosophical question -- whether it is just to condemn evil through murder -- in "A Killer Paradox," a new Netflix original drama series.

The eight-part drama series revolves around Yi Tang, (played by Choi Woo-shik) a college student who, under extreme stress, murders those who antagonize him.

After discovering that all his victims were serious evildoers "worth killing," Yi comes to believe that he has a supernatural ability to identify evildoers. Detective Jang Nan-gam (played by Son Suk-ku), suspecting Yi to be behind the murders, pursues Yi.

Lee Chang-hee, who has directed a slew of hit Korean thrillers, such as OCN's 10-part series "Hell Is Other People" and film "The Vanished," said "A Killer Paradox" deviates from conventional shows centered around characters who operate outside the boundaries of the law to eliminate evil.

According to director Lee, the main protagonist is constantly asking himself whether he actually possesses the supernatural ability to identify evildoers, or whether he happens to be killing people that turn out to be evildoers.

"Yi Tang is a highly passive character. The situations he finds himself in just happened to him, and such factors make it difficult for the audience to predict or imagine what choices Yi will make in the future. Consequently, (...) such characterization (of Yi) offers a unique twist," said Lee, during a press conference held in Yongsan-gu, Seoul, Thursday.

In order to play the complex character of Yi Tang, actor Choi said he focused on portraying the storm of emotions that Yi experiences as the story progresses.

"There are moments when Yi grapples with guilt, being haunted by illusions or becoming ensnared in fantasies," said Choi.

"Yi goes through a slew of emotional and psychological changes. I focused on portraying those aspects, and I hope the viewers can capture those nuances," he said.

Son, who plays a detective in pursuit of Yi, said he also focused on portraying the psychological dilemmas Jang grapples with throughout the drama series.

“Jang Nan-gam is a detective who mainly conducts investigations with intuition. Consequently, he experiences significant conflicts between his sense of professional responsibility, occupational ethics and personal emotions," said Son.

“While portraying the character, I paid careful attention to Jang Nan-gam’s transformation, and tried to convey that Jang could become someone who could harbor even more dangerous thoughts than the criminals he pursues,” said Son.

"A Killer Paradox" will stream on Netflix starting Feb. 9.

From left: Lee Hee-joon, Choi Woo-shik and Son Suk-ku pose for a photo during a press conference held in Yongsan-gu, Seoul, Thursday. (Netflix)

credit : Korea Herald

Netflix new original, 'A Killer Paradox,' is full of entertaining irony: director

By Woo Jae-yeon

SEOUL, Feb. 1 (Yonhap) -- An ordinary university student accidentally kills a man, who later turns out to be a malicious serial killer. Believing he has uncanny talent to recognize evildoers, he embarks on a killing spree of his own, convinced it is the right thing to do.

Netflix's upcoming Korean original, "A Killer Paradox," follows the student Lee Tang, played by "Parasite" star Choi Woo-shik, and the relentless detective Jang Nan-gam, played by Son Suk-ku of "My Liberation Notes," who pursues Lee.

The premise of the new series might sound like a usual gritty crime-thriller-mystery, but director Lee Chang-hee, who made popular thriller series like "Strangers From Hell," and the actors in the show present a different picture.

Actors Lee Hee-joon (L), Choi Woo-shik (C) and Son Suk-ku pose for photos at a press event for Netflix's upcoming original series "A Killer Paradox" in Seoul on Feb. 1, 2024. (Yonhap)

Actors Lee Hee-joon (L), Choi Woo-shik (C) and Son Suk-ku pose for photos at a press event for Netflix's upcoming original series "A Killer Paradox" in Seoul on Feb. 1, 2024. (Yonhap)

"The series is full of irony, harmonizing things that are seemingly at odds with one another," Lee said at a press event in Seoul on Thursday, adding, "While the show is fun, it also asks a heavy question at the end."

The show combines fantastical elements of the main protagonist Lee, the detective Jang's crime thriller, as well as noir aspects revolving around the former detective-turned-criminal Song Chon (Lee Hee-joon) on the trail of Lee, the director added.

Adding to the appeal of the show are, the director said, the paradox the characters confront, the main protagonist Lee's psychological evolution through a series of killings and the conflict between guilt and liberation and anxiety and peace.

"Who on Earth has the right to destroy evil, and how far should one be allowed to go in doing so?" actor Son said about the dilemma his character faces in the series.

"(The show's) like a bowl of tasty bibimbap," actor Choi said, referring to Korean mixed rice with assorted vegetables and meat. "It harmoniously mixed many different genres and charming characters together."

The images, provided by Netflix, shows posters of "A Killer Paradox," set to premiere Feb. 9, 2024. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

The images, provided by Netflix, shows posters of "A Killer Paradox," set to premiere Feb. 9, 2024. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Like many other Korean original shows being produced these days, the series is based on the popular Naver webtoon of the same name, which has a huge fan base.

The director said he tried to maintain the tone and manner of the original work and to ensure the core message remained intact. While he found the job quite challenging to turn the fantasy web comics into a live-action series, the challenge itself spurred him on and made him work harder for a good show, he said.

"I focused on visualizing Lee's mental status, like by using beautiful but incongruous classical music as the soundtrack in killing scenes and crosscuts of scenes that don't seem to fit together," he said.

Son said he couldn't wait to see the series' release, particularly for fans of the original webtoon.

"I can't pinpoint one genre for the series. I would just say it is made by a unique producer with very young and trendy tastes," he said. "I think the webtoon fans will really love it."

The eight-part series is set to premiere Feb. 9.

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr
(END)

credit : Yonhap News

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20240201005600315?section=culture/entertainment

'A Killer Paradox' to bring popular webtoon to life in style

cd8009e8-d00f-4bc8-9f20-9885ec4be04d.jpg

New Netflix series stars Choi Woo-sik, Son Suk-ku

By Lee Gyu-lee

Choi Woo-sik, Son Suk-ku and Lee Hee-joon, the lead actors of Netflix’s new Korean original series, “A Killer Paradox,” expressed confidence in the series, sharing that it will offer a thriller genre story with a stylish twist.

Based on the hit webtoon of the same name by Kkomabi, the thriller crime series revolves around an average college student Lee Tang (Choi), who accidentally kills a man. When the victim turns out to be a serial killer, he realizes he has the ability to detect criminals and finds himself caught in an endless cat-and-mouse chase with a shrewd detective (Son) who is determined to catch him.

Their paths cross with Song-chon, a former detective with twisted beliefs, adding complexity to their chase.

The eight-part series, set to hit the streaming site on Feb. 9, is led by director Lee Chang-hee, whose previous work includes the 2018 thriller film “The Vanished” and the 2019 thriller series

“Watch Strangers from Hell.”

“It’s trendy. If it (the series) were clothing, it would be high fashion. The director has an extremely unique taste that cannot be defined in a single genre and, of course, so too, the webtoon,” Son said during the press conference for the series, held at Mondrian Seoul Itaewon, in Yongsan District, Seoul, Thursday.

“Personally, I'm quite confident that since such a distinctive creator made it, the original webtoon’s fans will be very satisfied (with the adaptation).”

2f2927fc-4427-45ea-a548-bcad217c3e20.jpg

A scene from the series "A Killer Paradox" / Courtesy of Netflix

The director shared how difficult it was to translate the webtoon's distinct blend of dark storytelling and cute, miniature-style cartoon characters into a live-action series.

“After reading the original work, I thought it wouldn't be easy to dramatize; it was really perplexing.

Despite the dilemma, it was a project I wanted to challenge myself with as a director. While contemplating how I could translate these excellent cartoon expressions into visuals, I got ambitious and ideas started flowing,” the director said.

“I tried to keep the essence of the original work. The original webtoon has a lot of cartoon elements and there were some that wouldn’t make sense if I portrayed them as is. So I paid a lot of attention to adding a sense of realism to make it more realistic without losing the theme and ironic tone and manner of the original."

Actor Choi said that he felt confident he could portray his character Lee Tang well.

“I really enjoyed the webtoon and felt a desire to do this, to work this character out as an actor. I also had the confidence that I could do it well, so I threw myself in (to the project),” he said, giving a glimpse of his character's growth.

“The character didn't commit murder willingly at first. But as the character grows, he eventually starts to intentionally find villains on his own. He goes through an emotional and psychological transformation. So I focused my acting on those aspects, and I hope viewers can also grasp those changes.”

The director noted the unpredictable development of its story will draw viewers to enjoy the series, blurring the lines between heroes and villains.

“Lee Tang is a very passive person and the situations he finds himself in happen by chance. So, it is difficult to predict or imagine what choices he will make and what will happen next, which I think is part of the charm of the series,” he said.

“(It’s not clear) whether he is a murderer or a vigilante. The situations are perplexing for Lee Tang, but for the audience, it will give a sense of cathartic irony."

credit : Korea Times

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2024/02/688_368113.html

*** On February 1st, Choi Woo Shik talked about his character in 'A Killer Paradox' at the drama's press conference.  Choi Wooshik explained his motivation for joining, saying, "I loved the original webtoon. The character was one that I wanted to try as an actor, and I thought I could do well. Working with seniors like Son Seokgu and Lee Heejoon was a great opportunity, so I jumped right in." Introducing his character Lee Tang, he said, "He's a university student leading a mundane life who accidentally commits murder and discovers an ability to identify evil people, leading to further killings. Lee Tang didn't intend to kill, but as the character grows, he undergoes emotional and psychological changes while hunting down villains. I focused a lot on portraying his changing inner self."   :cheers:

20240201_040212_271_tch%201.jpeg

source : Gstarlive

Netflix reveals 2024 content lineup

With K-dramas like Squid Game Season 2 and Sweet Home Season 3 on the horizon, Netflix has finally unveiled the much-anticipated release window for the upcoming 2024 K-dramas. The streaming giant has dropped an exciting trailer showcasing its upcoming lineup, including the highly awaited third season of Sweet Home, Squid Game season 2, A Killer Paradox, and more. Each year, Netflix releases a trailer that ignites excitement among K-drama fans, giving them a glimpse of what's to come.

This year's lineup promises a captivating array of shows with compelling plots that are sure to captivate viewers. Featured in the preview of Netflix's 2024 K-drama lineup trailer are renowned actors like Lee Jung Jae, Lee Byung Hun, Song Kang, Choi Woo Shik, Koo Kyo Hwan, and many more, adding to the anticipation surrounding these upcoming dramas.

A Killer Paradox 

Starring Choi Woo Shik, Son Suk Ku, and Lee Hee Joon, the K-drama A Killer Paradox unfolds as a dark comedy thriller. The story revolves around an average man who accidentally kills a serial killer and a police detective who pursues him relentlessly. Choi Woo Shik steps into the role of Lee Tang, a college student who discovers his unique ability to discern evil individuals. Son Suk Ku portrays the determined detective in this gripping narrative. A Killer Paradox is scheduled to premiere on February 9, 2024.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2qjr90LUwp/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=d9e23754-eabf-4272-a1b9-455d46576d74

source : https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/squid-game-2-sweet-home-3-to-gyeongseong-creature-2-netflix-reveals-2024-content-lineup-1275815

*** Waiting for "A Killer Paradox".   :blush:

6+ New K-Dramas To Watch In February 2024

20240205085524_february-dramas.jpg?s=900

A new month has already passed, meaning new dramas are also gearing up to greet K-drama fans this month!

Here are new K-dramas to check out in February:

“A Killer Paradox”

killer-paradox.jpeg

Korean Title: “살인자ㅇ난감”

Cast: Choi Woo Shik, Son Suk Ku, Lee Hee Joon

Premiere Date: February 9

Broadcast Details: all episodes released simultaneously at 5 p.m. KST on Netflix

Based on a webtoon, “A Killer Paradox” is a dark comedy thriller about Lee Tang (Choi Woo Shik), an average man who accidentally murders a serial killer, and police detective Jang Nam Gam (Son Suk Gu) who begins to chase after him.

credit : soompi news

Top 10 actor's comebacks to look out for on Netflix in 2024

There is a whole new set of K-entertainment releasing in 2024 which one must keep an eye out for. Several actors will be making their comebacks with these dramas as well. Here are the top ones.

2024 is shaping up to be an exciting year for Korean entertainment, with numerous highly anticipated comebacks from Korean artists and a slew of captivating K-dramas and films featuring some of the industry's finest actors. Spanning across various genres such as romance, thriller, sci-fi, and more, this year promises to cater to diverse tastes.

OTT platform Netflix is set to deliver an electrifying year of entertainment with a diverse lineup of Korean and global content. The streaming giant's unveiling of its Next On Netflix roster teases an array of highly anticipated shows and movies, ensuring viewers worldwide will be kept on the edge of their seats. Here are top Korean stars comeback you can look out for in 2024 on Netflix.

Choi Woo Shik and Son Suk Ku in A Killer’s Paradox

Adapted from a webtoon, A Killer Paradox is a dark comedy thriller revolving around Lee Tang (played by Choi Woo Shik), an ordinary man who unintentionally kills a serial killer. This sets off a chain of events as police detective Jang Nam Gam (portrayed by Son Suk Ku) starts pursuing him.

Viewers can anticipate seeing Choi Woo Shik on their television screens following his appearance in Our Beloved Summer (2021), while Son Suk Gu returns after his role in D.P. Season 2 (2023).

source : https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment/gong-yoo-kim-soo-hyun-go-yoon-jung-more-top-10-actor-comebacks-to-look-out-for-on-netflix-in-2024-1276637

Cast and Director Share Insights on Their Unique Dark Hero Tale ‘A Killer Paradox’

paradox.png

The creative minds behind the highly anticipated series A Killer Paradox have recently shared their thoughts and confidence in the project, promising a groundbreaking take on the dark hero genre.

In a production video, Director Lee Chang Hee expressed his initial reaction to the source material: “Reading the original webtoon inspired me with many ideas and imaginations, so I was confident I’d be able to have fun while working on this series.”

Choi Woo Shik delves into the complex narrative, describing it as “story of Lee Tang, who started killing accidentally but gradually came to believe in his ability to discern evil people, as if he’d become a hero.” Son Suk Ku offers insight into the dual narrative of “the story of Jang Nam Gam, a detective who is chasing two murderers, Lee Tang and Song Chon,” while Lee Hee Joon provides a perspective on his character Song Chon, “who was once a detective but became a murderer overnight.”

A Killer Paradox stands out for its portrayal of Lee Tang, a character who kills “criminals who deserve to die” but is unsure whether his ability is coincidental or genuine, setting it apart from traditional dark heroes. Director Lee Chang Hee adds, “I believe the characters define the genre. Lee Tang’s fantasy, Nan Gam’s mystery, and Song Chon’s noir clashed to produce a synergy that resulted in a unique series.”

Highlighting the viewing experience, Choi Woo Shik notes, “I wouldn’t necessarily call it empathy, but I think he’s a character that makes the viewers ask, ‘Is that what I would have done if I had that ability?’ as they are watching the series.” Son Suk Ku points out the engaging narrative progression, “Characters with their own unique personalities appear in each episode. The unfolding and intertwining of their different perspectives will be entertaining, as all the suspense converges in the end.”

Set to premiere on February 9th, A Killer Paradox invites audiences to a riveting journey that blends fantasy, mystery, and noir in an innovative exploration of moral ambiguity.

Source: Netflix

[Herald Review] 'A Killer Paradox' faithfully reproduces legendary webtoon

Director Lee Chang-hee -- a K-thriller master who has produced a slew of hit series such as "Hell Is Other People" and the film "The Vanished" -- has successfully breathed life into the award-winning webtoon "A Killer Paradox" through strict adherence to the plot of the original webtoon series.

“A Killer Paradox” follows the story of Yi Tang (played by Choi Woo-shik), a college student who commits a series of murders by accident.

After he commits the murders, Yi comes to realize that all of his victims were serious evildoers and becomes convinced that he possesses a supernatural gift for identifying them. Detective Jang Nan-gam (portrayed by Son Suk-ku), suspecting Yi‘s involvement in the murders, sets out to pursue him.

The drama series is based on a popular webtoon of the same title, which has won a slew of awards, including the rookie of the year award at the 2011 Korea Content Awards Ceremony, as well as the top prize at the 2011 Our Manwha of

Today -- an annual awards ceremony hosted by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism that awards five top cartoon works. Korean Contents Ceremony, Our Manwha of Today and Bucheon International Comics Festival are Korea's three most prestigious cartoon awards celebrations.

The eight-part series made the safe choice of faithfully following the plot of the original webtoon series rather than shooting for reinterpretation. Fans of the webtoon series will rejoice at director Lee's adherence to the plot and the inclusion of details from the webtoon series.

Due to its loyalty to the webtoon, there is verisimilitude in each episode of the show. The series of misfortune that happens to Yi is realistic, and Yi's psychological transformation from a scared college boy into a self-approved vigilante is made relatable.

The cast has also achieved the feat of successfully portraying the psychology of an ordinary man who commits murder, a feat that the webtoon was also praised for.

The early part of the webtoon focuses largely on Yi's guilt and psychological dilemma as he wonders whether his supernatural ability is real or a figment of his imagination. A large section of the webtoon also is devoted to Yi's predicament over whether he should use his ability to condemn evil and being torn over the idea of killing people.

With the artistic portrayal of Yi's nightmares and hallucinations, the webtoon, known for its simplistic, almost crude drawing style, has been reborn as a visual feast. Choi's gradual transformation from a timid college student into a ruthless murderer is also convincing, chilling and eye-catching.

The first episode of "A Killer Paradox" will stream on Netflix, Friday.

credit : Korea Herald

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20240207000504

*** TODAY is D-DAY!  It's "A Killer Paradox" premiere!   Finally..... it's here! Choi Woo Sik has had lots of great roles.   :Ohboy3:

Time slot: Friday (single drop)
Broadcaster: Netflix
Genre: Crime, suspense, thriller
Episode count: 8

*** Choi Woo Sik speaks English so sexy & HOT! Recently, Netflix K-content released a new video for its English-speaking viewers. While most Netflix K-Drama actors usually do a brief greeting in English, Son Suk Ku and Choi Woo Shik did an entire video, flexing their good English skills. Choi Woo-shik promotes his series with a special shoutout to fans worldwide in fluent English!  Netflix posted the video across all its social media channels. It went viral on Instagram and X with 522K and 103K views, respectively, at the time of writing. I know that Choi Woo Sik grew up in Vancouver but, I'm still in awe of his fluency. His accents was also particularly attractive. Love it! I rarely hear him speak in English, although he's fluent. Choi Woo Shik speaks some English in "Jinny’s Kitchen ."   rarely hear them speak in English, although they’re fluent. Choi Woo Shik speaks some English in Jinny’s Kitchen ". "A Killer Paradox"  will be available to stream internationally via Netflix starting TODAY February 9.   :heart3:

*** "A Killer Paradox" is a good drama. Choi Woo Shik went shirtless in EP4. - hehehe - While it’s a brief moment, it’s rare to see Choi Woo Shik shirtless. I was surprised to see not only his shower scene but also his muscular physique. He’s known for his small “soft boy” sight, but his body tells a different story. His role in A Killer Paradox is unlike any else.  His shower scene was the least shocking moment of the show, though.  :kaching1:

choi-woo-sik-poster.jpeg

***  was in for a surprise in just the first episode of  "A Killer Paradox" , which premiered  February 9.  There after drinking with his friend, Lee Tang (Choi Woo Shik) went to his apartment and had sex with a woman. While the woman was fully naked, Lee Tang just lay there in bed with no pants as the woman rode him. I was shocked by such a graphic scene, especially so soon. I did not expect to see Choi Woo Shik in bed with a naked one on top of him! I think the scene was unnecessary. It was not a sexy scene. Although, Woo Shik appeared half-clothed in the brief sex scene.   :kitty:

MV5BZjZhM2IyZTktNjFiZS00NWFlLTg0NzMtMzIx