Do You Need Korean Help?

Jaeho

Guest Clarasaur

Can someone quickly help me with how you would phrase "Are we even friends?"

I'm not clear on whether I should be using 있어요 or 이에요...if someone could further elaborate on the difference between these as well, I would really appreciate it. :<

• Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sudu1won

Can someone quickly help me with how you would phrase "Are we even friends?"

I'm not clear on whether I should be using 있어요 or 이에요...if someone could further elaborate on the difference between these as well, I would really appreciate it. :<

우리는 친구다 맞지?

as for you second question, perhaps you can be more specific...with sentence examples maybe...

있어요 can stand alone, it means "there is or I have etc" as in 돈이 있어요? 있어요~

but 이에요/예요 can never stand alone, there must be a noun before it.

therefore it's somehow equivalent to the verb 'to be" in English.

Guest tisa-chan

hi guys , I wanted to learn korean , any korean expert out there can help me ?*quoted image*

I've also just started learning Korean and i don't think you need an expert in the beginning. Learn the Korean alphabet (hangeul) first and then grammar. Two years ago, stupid me, wanted to learn Korean without learning the alphabet first, but the romanization really confused me, because in some cases the same words were written differently which made me give up. I think that some people, when using romanization, write words according to how they are pronounced and some according to how they are written. That's why it's very important to learn hangeul first, besides most of the online learning sites use hangeul, not romanization.

For now i'm learning from this site and the explanations are clear enough for me to understand the rules. Hope it's helpful.

Btw i really like this thread because i learn fasten from examples than from the rules, so some of the translations i've read here were really helpful. ^^

I've also just started learning Korean and i don't think you need an expert in the beginning. Learn the Korean alphabet (hangeul) first and then grammar. Two years ago, stupid me, wanted to learn Korean without learning the alphabet first, but the romanization really confused me, because in some cases the same words were written differently which made me give up. I think that some people, when using romanization, write words according to how they are pronounced and some according to how they are written. That's why it's very important to learn hangeul first, besides most of the online learning sites use hangeul, not romanization.

For now i'm learning from this site and the explanations are clear enough for me to understand the rules. Hope it's helpful.

Btw i really like this thread because i learn fasten from examples than from the rules, so some of the translations i've read here were really helpful. ^^

Thx for your suggestion , I did tried to learning on internet but it doesn't work well T.T Just see those square words make me headachesph34r.gif 

I hope someone can teach me wacko.gifwacko.gif

Guest CottonKitty

Okay, so I'm currently taking first semester Korean and we have to come up with a skit. I'm trying to keep the grammar/vocab pretty simple.

At the end of the scene, the girl is pretty upset with the guy and she is leaving. I want her to say something like "live your life well" but with sarcasm (so it could be something you might say politely, but in this case she'll be saying it as kind of an accusation).

Would 잘 살아요 make sense? Or is there a better phrase?

고마워요!

Hi guys, i'm going for a job interview soon at a restaurant run by Koreans. Right now, i only have basic Korean knowledge (e.g. picked up from dramas and music haha) and i can read Korean.

But i was wondering if there were certain things i should be aware of, e.g. mannerisms, terms of respect?

From what i know, the owners are a pretty young couple - around 30ish. And one of them always has their mother at the restaurant.

Since we live in Australia, my friend who works there says she just calls them by their first name. Apparently the older lady (the owner's mother) asked her to call her 'ahjumma-nim' o_o

I was wondering, do i call the owners sajangnim (idk the spelling?) and the older lady ahjumma-nim?

Haha i've always wanted to learn Korean, and am still hoping to be able to learn it next year in uni :P

Guest Laurachan

Hey everyone, I was wondering if there was anyone who could help me translate this to korean? It's for a guy who is one year older than me.

"You must get thousand of messages per day so the possibility of you reading this is slim. It must be tiring everyday right? Hope you are taking well care of your health as well as the other members. Don't get sick and keep on doing what you love! :3 fighting!"

Thank you in advancee!

fic? ..as in fanfic?

제 친구는 정말 재미있는 팬픽을 써서 올렸는 데 오늘 갑자기 그 팬픽을 삭제하고 싶었다고 했어요.

the 2nd one can't be easily translated into formal Korean...rephrase it if you must..

orait..yes..fanfics..

the 2nd phrase something like "she doesn't like you anymore.." =))

Hi

Does anyone know how to say "director" (as in for film and TV) in Korean? in Hangul as well as romanization. Is there a difference between the word "director" for film and for TV? Also, how to say "actor" (as in film/ TV) in Korean?

Thanks! :-)

Hi

Does anyone know how to say "director" (as in for film and TV) in Korean? in Hangul as well as romanization. Is there a difference between the word "director" for film and for TV? Also, how to say "actor" (as in film/ TV) in Korean?

Thanks! :-)

감독 is director (not sure if there is a difference)

배우 is actor

Guest sudu1won

hi!

i was wondering if anyone could just help me translating from english to korean? 

how would you write 'I LOVE KOREA' in korean? 

it is for this give away where you present ^ on a piece of paper in return for a prize.

any help appreciated! 

한국 사랑해요!

Hey everyone, I was wondering if there was anyone who could help me translate this to korean? It's for a guy who is one year older than me. 

"You must get thousand of messages per day so the possibility of you reading this is slim. It must be tiring everyday right? Hope you are taking well care of your health as well as the other members. Don't get sick and keep on doing what you love! :3 fighting!"

Thank you in advancee!

오빠는 하루하루 메시지를 정말 많이 받나 해서 아마 이 걸 읽을 수가 거의 없을걸까 라고 생각했는 데... 오빠들은 매일 너무 힘들겠지? 건강에 신경 좀 써야 해. 아프면 안 되니깐요. 그래서 난 오빠들의 몸이 늘 튼튼해지길 바라~ 그리고 좋아하는 걸 계속 하라! 파이팅!

Can someone help me translate this into Korean? It's for my boyfriend. He's older than me, but it doesn't have to be too formal.

"I learned this song just for you. Hope you like it and can recognize its name. haha

Also I remembered you wanted to learn how to play the guitar. Well...I can teach you now.

I not only want to be your girlfriend, but also your best friend and pal. Whatever you want to do, you can count on me, honey."

Thank you so much!!

Guest sudu1won

Can someone help me translate this into Korean? It's for my boyfriend. He's older than me, but it doesn't have to be too formal.

"I learned this song just for you. Hope you like it and can recognize its name. haha

Also I remembered you wanted to learn how to play the guitar. Well...I can teach you now.

I not only want to be your girlfriend, but also your best friend and pal. Whatever you want to do, you can count on me, honey."

Thank you so much!!

이 노래를 오빠만 위해 배웠어. 맘에 들었으면 좋겠다... 노래 제목 한 번 잘 맞춰 봐 ㅎㅎㅎ 

그리고 오빠가 기타 배워 보고 싶다는 걸 기억났는 데 그럼 이제 나는 오빠에게 가르쳐 줄 수 있지. 

오빠의 여자친구가 되고 싶을 뿐만 아니라 오빠의 가장 친한 좋은 친구도 되고 싶어. 

오빠가 뭘 하고 싶던지 내가 오빠를 믿어주는 만큼 오빠도 날 믿어봐도 좋아.

Guest jayfurrie

Hey,

I'm not exactly looking for an english to korean translator... But I dunno where else to post this -_-.

I'm looking more for someone to explain in detail how to pronounce each hangul vowel and consonant. Like, how much air to use, where the tongue is during the pronunciation, dynamics, etc. I realized yesterday that the reason my korean sounds so 'american' (and why anyone speaking a second language has somewhat of an accent in general) is because I try to think that, hey, ㅅ is an 's' sound, ㅈ is a 'j' sound, ㄷ is a 'd' sound, etc. So I pronunce them as if its just the english s, j, and d. But actually, that's not how it is...

I can read hangul rather well, albeit slowly. I'm an ethnic Chinese raised in America, so my phonetic library does not allow me to easily differentiate between certain korean consonants like

ㅂ, ㅃ, ㅍ.

I hear something between a b and a p for ㅂ,

a 'b' sound for ㅃ,

and a 'p' sound/ halfway between a 'b' and a 'p' sound for ㅍ.

ㅈ, ㅉ, ㅊ.

I hear something between a 'ch' and a 'j' for ㅈ,

'j' for ㅉ,

'ch' for ㅊ.

ㅌ, ㄷ, ㄸ.

I hear a 't' sound usually for ㅌ,

'halfway between a d and t sound' for ㄷ,

'd' sound for ㄸ.

ㄹ, ㄹ, ㄹ.

This one is a tossup. A third of the time I hear 'r', a third of the time I hear 'l', and a third of the time I hear a mix between the two, which I simply cannot pronounce no matter how hard I try =[.

Someone please help me =[. I really really wish I could take korean classes here at college, but if I wanna graduate in 4 years... that's not happening -___-. I'm pretty much just tackling this on my own.

If there's a better place to post this on soompi, please let me know. Thanks!!

What does this mean??

정민는 내 애인 인대두 왜 오빠 안불어?

My boyfriend sent it to me

He explained it kind of but I'm still wondering hahah

정민 is my name

Also, what is 애인?? He told me it's like one step higher above girlfriend in the closeness factor?

He's asking why you're not calling him "oppa".

애인 is like... lover I guess? not sure how else one would translate it. lol

Guest sudu1won

Hey,

I'm not exactly looking for an english to korean translator... But I dunno where else to post this -_-.

I'm looking more for someone to explain in detail how to pronounce each hangul vowel and consonant. Like, how much air to use, where the tongue is during the pronunciation, dynamics, etc. I realized yesterday that the reason my korean sounds so 'american' (and why anyone speaking a second language has somewhat of an accent in general) is because I try to think that, hey, ㅅ is an 's' sound, ㅈ is a 'j' sound, ㄷ is a 'd' sound, etc. So I pronunce them as if its just the english s, j, and d. But actually, that's not how it is...

I can read hangul rather well, albeit slowly. I'm an ethnic Chinese raised in America, so my phonetic library does not allow me to easily differentiate between certain korean consonants like

Hi~

this kind of question has actually been asked a few times in the past and I always believe that it's hard to explain how to pronounce these consonants in words. You must listen how the natives do it and reproduce the sound, listen and reproduce, on and on...but since you asked about "how much air to use", it gave me an idea.

hold a piece of paper in front of your mouth but not too close, and when you pronounced these consonants...

ㅃ, ㅉ, ㄸ, ㄲ the paper should not move at all. you need to pronounce them with tense but with no air coming out your mouth.

ㅍ, ㅊ, ㅌ, ㅋ the paper should jump away. because all of these consonants are not tensed but when you pronounced these, air should come out from your mouth

ㅂ, ㅈ, ㄷ, ㄱ the paper should move just slightly compare to ㅍ, ㅊ, ㅌ, ㅋ. just make it a relaxed sound. definitely not like a hard b, j, d, g sound they make in English.

and since you mentioned that you're Chinese, if you speak Mandarin or any Chinese dialects for that matter, this should be somewhat easier to learn because of the similarities... I studied Mandarin for some years and I think Chinese (and Japanese) learn Korean pronunciation and Korean language itself faster. 

ㅂ, ㅃ, ㅍ.

I hear something between a b and a p for ㅂ,

a 'b' sound for ㅃ,

and a 'p' sound/ halfway between a 'b' and a 'p' sound for ㅍ.

ㅈ, ㅉ, ㅊ.

I hear something between a 'ch' and a 'j' for ㅈ,

'j' for ㅉ,

'ch' for ㅊ.

ㅌ, ㄷ, ㄸ.

I hear a 't' sound usually for ㅌ,

'halfway between a d and t sound' for ㄷ,

'd' sound for ㄸ.

ㄹ, ㄹ, ㄹ.

This one is a tossup. A third of the time I hear 'r', a third of the time I hear 'l', and a third of the time I hear a mix between the two, which I simply cannot pronounce no matter how hard I try =[.

Someone please help me =[. I really really wish I could take korean classes here at college, but if I wanna graduate in 4 years... that's not happening -___-. I'm pretty much just tackling this on my own.

If there's a better place to post this on soompi, please let me know. Thanks!!

your mostly right with ㅂ, ㅈ, ㄷ ,ㄱ  about being "halfway between b and p, ch and j, etc etc" and I'm quite sure you know that these rules only apply when these consonants starts at the beginning of a syllable?

ㄹ will sound different in different conditions;

at the beginning of a syllable and between two vowel (or before a ㅎ) , it's a mix between r and l...I don't know how to explain this... like the Japanese 'r', ら、り、る、れ、ろ

when doubled like 몰라 and before a consonant like 달춤, it's a soft l

but bear in mind, there are times when the consonants after ㄹ changes sound too, I don't know if you reached this point of studying Korean yet so...

well, I hope this somewhat helps.

Guest jayfurrie

your mostly right with ㅂ, ㅈ, ㄷ ,ㄱ  about being "halfway between b and p, ch and j, etc etc" and I'm quite sure you know that these rules only apply when these consonants starts at the beginning of a syllable?

I noticed something weird going on when I tried listening closely to music, but I didn't know there were actually rules. I just thought it was my untrained ears being dumb -__-.

but wow thank you so much! i'm practicing that paper thing (only when my roommate isnt here... i figure i look pretty dorky hahaah).

Archived