Do You Need Korean Help?

Jaeho

Guest lollipopluv

1. 네가 나에게 안녕이라고 말할 때 아니면 빙긋 웃어 줄 때 내 마음이 정말 뿌듯해. 왜냐하면 내가 네 머릿속을 잠깐이라도 스쳐갔다는 걸 난 깨달았기 때문이야.

2. 너무 고민하지 않았으면 좋겠다.

3. 우리는 너 걸어나가지 않고 얘기할 수 없을까 제발?

4. 챈들러야, 넌 역시 좋은 친구야

5. 딜런이야, 넌 춤을 정말 잘 춰!

6. ??? by saying "on the same boat" do you mean it literally? or do you mean it as an idiom?

I mean it as an idiom :)

and thanks for the others! thank you so so much!!

• Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Korean;s pretty mediocre too lol but those questions are pretty simple

1.  A) 면 can mean if, ie "내일 오면 좋겠어요/I'd like it if you came tomorrow" or sometimes it means for time "5 월 있으면 내 생일이예요/My birthday is in 5 months"

B) 는데 is sort of like "but." However its mostly just implying that theres more information behind the statement "가고 싫은데.../I don't want to go...(but I have to/because your cute ect.)"  Youll need to work with he context for this one

C)로 means "by means of." "기차로 가요/I go by(means of the) train" "연필으로 써 봐요/Try to use a pencil(Try to write my means of a pencil)"

2. The different buts are pretty reliant on context :/ they all mean about the same so you won't be unintelligible whichever you use. 근데  is 그렇*는데* which means "Its like that(but/because/and)" 하지만 sounds more formal to me and is more of "However" those are the two most comment I use, but 는데 can be used as a sort of but too.

3. 에 usually to where "작년 한국에 갔어요/lit.I went to Korea last year" whereas 에서 means more where the action is taking place "작년 한국에서 갔어요/I went in to Korea last year." Korea is no longer where you went to but the place where your traveling in.

4. (제가) 한국말을 잘 못해요 = Can't speak Korean well.   (제가)조금만 한국말을 할 수 있어요=I can only speak a little Korean. And a phrase I find very handy in Korean 미국에서 태어났어서/살아서=Because I was born in America/live in America... (some things I've said ) I called you a gramma when your a man/I picked up my bowl/I used banmal too soon/I'm afraid of your horrible driving ect.

Thank you SO much haha; everything is so much clearer now. :D

Guest sudu1won

^^^^^ Thank you so much

i'm dying to know what lee hyun woo's talking about! he's such an adorable person!

there are three parts in total, so can anybody help me briefly translate it?

THANK YOU SO MUCH <3 damnnnn i wish i knew korean. i'm going to sign up for a course soon!

meanwhile, i will have to rely on you pros out there!

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

here you go. it was quite long though...happy reading~

Episode 1

[God of Study! Lee Hyun-woo has gone popular!]

-when did you realize your popularity?

when [God of Study] was airing? first of all it was an opportunity for me to let people know more about me. And when we had shooting in Busan, there were crowds of fans and that's when I realized the popularity. I liked it~ because it was the first time I experienced such thing (crowds of fans) so I really really liked it! Even friends who never called me before, suddenly called me up, even my cousins and my relatives far away too gave me calls, asking me to give them autographs!

-how is your character (Hong Chan-doo) different from you?

He's a very cheerful person and he likes dancing and music so much. And I love dancing and music too. When I first meet someone, I'm kind of a shy person but as time goes and then, spending time together, I'll change to someone very cheerful and talkative too so in a way, I'm quite similar to Chan-doo.

-and are your exam results similar (to Chan-doo's too?)

My results are...well, no comment~ (laughs)

-fancy dance skills! did you learn BBoying?

For this drama, I practiced with a BBoy team but in some scenes where there are difficult moves, that wasn't me, it was done by a stand-in and he did extremely well. I'm still learning very hard to study those dance moves (laughs)

(interview in the classroom)

Certainly after working in this drama, seems like people start to recognize me.

-you must memorized a lot of rap lines just now?

Yes, I did a lot but somehow, I just kept making mistakes so I need to work on that more.

(the scene with Yoo Seung-ho)

-can you tell me about the test with a lie detector just now?

No, no way, that part should be edited out~

Yoo Seung-ho stepped in front of him and said, "you stay there for a moment~"

-are you guys usually close together?

Ye, ye, ye, ye... (both of them laughs)

[in the 2nd part Hyun-woo took a True or False test]

(the scene with T-Ara Ji-Yeon)

All of them (T-Ara members) are beautiful...she's not especially that beautiful (laughs)

-If you had such classmates in real life?

Each has their own distinct character so in a class of 5 students, you can see that very obvious, that would be fun. But I don't know anyone like these students around me so I'm not sure how it'll turn out.

and then, he said how he really like working on location...

Episode 2

[Child actor Hyun-woo becomes a true actor!]

-how did you start acting?

I just suddenly wanted to become an actor during elementary school...I think that was when I was in 6th grade...I told that to my mother and so that's how it all started.

-do you remember what your first appearance was?

First appearance?...it was not a first appearance, it was my first lead role (laughs)..first lead role~

it was a kids drama, [Hwarang Fighter Maru] and from there, offers just started pouring in until what I am today.

-what roles do you want to do again as an adult?

Ummmmm...(long long pause) Kim Yoo-shin...Kim Yoo-shin from the drama Queen Seon-deok. It was a very great role...hmmm (laughs)

-your personal secret to good acting?

I don't have such thing. I just learned a lot from the directors that I worked with, coupled with those script reading sessions, practice sessions...I think I'm very lucky, really really lucky~

-how do you usually practice your script?

A lot of times, I do it alone, at home, my mom as the 'director'...so usually with my mom or reading alone by myself.

-who take care of you (work-wise)?

Before I joined my management company, my mother always followed me to work on locations so she knows best about me, about my acting work.

-any critical remarks from your mother then?

Ummm...she said I need to concentrate on my face expression because it looks like I'm someone confused, someone out of spirit (laughs) so I worked that out and put more energy on my eyes.

-your dream role in the future?

I'm a big fan of Jang Woo-hyuk hyung, so these days I watched [Chuno] but not much though, I've watched it only a few times, a few moments, and I think his character was really cool. But it's not like I want to have his role, I don't have the ability to take in such role~ it's just that when I saw Jang Hyuk hyung, I think he's really cool and there are times when I was marvelled by him~

-when you meet your favorite actors...?

Oh~ I'm going to be nervous (laughs) these days I've enjoyed watching IRIS; Lee Byung-hun hyung, Kim Tae-hee noona, all of them looked really awesome. I was a presenter at the KBS Acting Awards when I saw two persons just about coming out at the backstage, I looked carefully then I realized they were Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-hee! (laughs) right away I got nervous~ wah...I was like what should I do? what should I do now? Eventually, I can't even say any greetings to them.

[Lee Hyun-woo's True or False]

1. Am I a 'beautiful boy'?

Yes...no,no,no...

whoa, it (the lie detector) says true!

2. Do you have a girlfriend now?

I don't have.

(the machine shows false and gave him an shock)

why did this thing do that?...

no, I was telling the truth! (laughs)

3. Am I better than Yoo Seung-ho?

No, I'm not! 

(the machine shows that he's lying...)

no I'm not! (laughs) Seung-ho~ this thing is broken or something (laughs) I don't think I'm better than him but I'm not that bad either~(laughs) please edit this out! please edit this! please cut this out! (laughs)

continues laughing...

4. If Kim Su-ro was a real teacher, would I dislike him?

Yes! I would dislike him!...this machine is doing that thing again!...oh oh no  it's not...

(laughs on)

I don't hate Kim Su-ro per se but I only hate his character...well, not really 'hate' but I wouldn't really like him either if I had a teacher like him!

(continue to just try and test play with the lie detector...and didn't get the shock this time!)

Episode 3

[17 years old...Hyun-woo's dreams]

-how's your schooling?

In the begining, I did go to school but then instead of going to classes, I went to work so a lot tof times, I just couldn't go to school. But fortunately, this time around it's school holiday so I can give my undivided attention to shooting.

-what kind of student are you at school?

I'm a very typical student, I hang out well with most friends~ I don't go to school as a celebrity but as a normal typical student~

-have you ever been a member of your class board? (like class monitor etc)

I did when I was in elementary school...I was always a member of the class board right from my first year in elementary school...but when I reached middle school and beyond, I had to gave up some activities at school because of work..the teachers even advised me that I won't be able to juggle things like this. There are a lot of things that I missed out, of course. If I didn't attend school then I won't be learning from the teachers, I won't be hanging out with my friends (so I did go to school because I want to do those things) but because of shooting and everything, I couldn't go so I missed out many stuffs.

-any times when you hate acting?

of course, that could happen to me, you know, when I just have this feeling of disliking doing everything, and the problem of how to conquer those feelings...but so far, I don't have that kind of feeling or experience.

-your no.1 treasure?

during shooting or on location outside, it's my handphone...pressing number 1 is a direct call to my father, number 2 is my mother, number 3 is my older sister, number 4 is my grandfather,...there's no one for number zero...

-what's the number for your girlfriend?

I don't have a girlfriend (laughs) I really really don't have (laughs) I never even have my first love yet, really!

(location change)

-have you ever been asked out?

I used to date~

(but before this, he said he never even have his first love yet so...)

(laughs)

I went out with someone I don't even quite know a long time ago when I was just a kid (laughs)

but I never ever received any letters or presents, these days we used handphone more, with text messages if we ever want to talk about anything~ I never write letters...

[special]

Q1. My ideal type looks like?

Ko A-seong, Ji Yeon, Bae Doo-na, Oh Yoon-a

it's really hard right from question number one~ (laughs) can't I choose everyone? (the person says no) ah~ that's too bad! ah~ I like all of them...Doo-na noona...because I just picked her randomly. (laughs)

Q2. Girlgroup that you want to have a cameo appearance like T-Ara?

SNSD, WG, Kara, 2NE1

I have to choose only one for this too? Huh~ No.1! SNSD!

(if only one out of nine of them can appear?)

Tae-yeon!!! (laughs) The reason is that my manager hyung likes her~ (laughs) I like Tae-yeon and Tiffany because they're pretty~ all of them are pretty but they look the prettiest to me~(laughs)

Q4. I want to be a member of this group?

2PM, DBSK, BigBang, SuJu

Huh~ I can't be a member of any of them...(laughs) ummm..MBLAQ. I like Rain, my sister like him, both of us are fans of Rain so MBLAQ is managed under Rain and my dream was like to be part of something under his management~ (laughs)

-anything you'd like to remove from this interview?

hmmm...I can't remember....ahh~ah! that one, that one...Seung-ho!!! please edit him out!

-give us a cute look first!!

okay then just ignore what I just said~ (laughs)

-What is acting for you?

For the future, I should be doing many kinds of roles and if you ask me about those kinds of roles, they would not be just one similar roles but I want to be able to do different types where I'd show the various side of me and become a multi-talented actor but at same time, without losing my ground and changing what I am now. I want to hear people say, "He never changed a bit even though he's famous now"

(the last scene is about T-Ara giving Hyun-woo their signed album and rolls of tissues (!?) as presents while Hyun-woo gave them mufflers in return)

I mean it as an idiom :)

and thanks for the others! thank you so so much!!

6. 내 친구 사자야, 나도 같은 처지이야

Guest ms_kermi

71_image001.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm on the right thread, but I need to know what their banners are saying. Just those on the front row, the yellow ones. I hope you guys could help me out. Thank you so much in advance. :D

Guest sudu1won

*quoted image*

I'm not sure if I'm on the right thread, but I need to know what their banners are saying. Just those on the front row, the yellow ones. I hope you guys could help me out. Thank you so much in advance. :D

it's the 한국환경회의 환경선언 in 2005 or the Environment Declaration of the Korean Convention of Environment.

this site has a full report on that in English

>>http://english2008.k...desc=asc&no=138 

and so, from left to right, the banners say

1) To overcome the economic crisis through environment-related employment

2) To stop constructing radioactive waste processing facilities and discontinue nuclear energy-based energy policies

3) To stop the construction in Sae-man-gum and to seek for rational solutions

I need someone who knows Korean to tell me if this is a full wig or extensions or even a half wig. I'm concerned seeing how I want a full wig and it's only $34 when the other wigs are $50-70 generally.

http://www.gabalmani...%C7%BD%BA&sort=

Thank you! 

it says there it's a clip-on hairpiece so it's kind of a hair extension? sorry I've no idea about wigs sweatingbullets.gif

Guest dancee.ellx

hello!

erm.. dont really know what i should do before posting here but anyway, hello! :D

im doing a little special something and it will need to be korean, and although i've been studying korean diligently, my abilities are still limited. ._. so i will need help here...! really thank you so much and my apologies because there is... quite a lot.. sweatingbullets.gifsweatingbullets.gif it's not to anybody in particular, but to everybody in general, except for where i mention "you" or "you all" it is referring to someone older than i am :)

1. I've always had dreams, but my dreams never had any meaning. But when I found you, I found the meaning of my dreams. I've never felt more happy, felt more fire in my life... I was alive.

2. But because I still had you, the pain was bearable. When people asked if I'm okay, I wanted to be able to proudly say, "of course I am! Because I have you."

3. 2009 was a killer year. I had school, I had dance competitions, and I had to work. But I because I still had you, I could do anything, everything.

4. And then it happened. The doctor told me that my back was badly injured and I was to stop dancing for at least a year. The only reason why I could still stand all... I couldn't see it anymore.

5. I couldn't finish listening to the song, because I couldn't stop crying. I could hear you sing again.

6. My heart started beating again. I promise to protect you as well as you have protected me.

7. Through all my ups and downs, through all my black and white, I had you. So don't worry, because through all your highs and lows, through all your smiles and tears, you have me too.

8. Even though you don't know me and I don't know you, for you to have been you and for me to be me, there must have been something that was meant to be… right? So no matter how many lifetimes later, if you become a tree, I will be the leaves. If you become a candle flame, I will be the a moth.

yeap! that's all! really sorry for the entire chunk of words but i'd really appreciate the help for translating!! ^_^ ^_^

Guest altmaer

안녕하세요 !

I need help to understand some words that seems to be adjectives ( I mean, "describing words ,the role of which is to qualify a noun" )

but don't appear to come from descriptive verbs : 무료(의) , 외국(의) , 마지막(의) , 고체의 ,...

what kind of adjectives are this words and how is this 의 particle used ? I can't find anything about them on internet ; the only thing I found

over and over again is that in korean language adjectives derive from descriptive verbs !

other questions I need to ask

- how do you translate so called descriptive nouns from engish ? : ex. "a herd of cows" , " the cable guy" " the car radio" " Iceman"

- this words are noun or adjectives ? : 최고 , 공짜 .. seems to describe things ex. 이 책은 공짜 ...

- how to make adjectives that ends in "-ed" compared to those who ends in "-ing" ? ex: bored man vs. boring man

thanks

Guest sudu1won

hello!

erm.. dont really know what i should do before posting here but anyway, hello! :D

im doing a little special something and it will need to be korean, and although i've been studying korean diligently, my abilities are still limited. ._. so i will need help here...! really thank you so much and my apologies because there is... quite a lot..  sweatingbullets.gifsweatingbullets.gif it's not to anybody in particular, but to everybody in general, except for where i mention "you" or "you all" it is referring to someone older than i am :) 

yeap! that's all! really sorry for the entire chunk of words but i'd really appreciate the help for translating!!  ^_^ ^_^

1. I've always had dreams, but my dreams never had any meaning. But when I found you, I found the meaning of my dreams. I've never felt more happy, felt more fire in my life... I was alive. 

나는 항상 꿈이 있는 데 내 꿈은 의미가 전혀 없다. 그런데 너를 찾아본 순간 내 꿈의 의미를 찾았다. 이보다 더욱더 행복한 적은 없고 이런 열정한 기분은 처음이다.

2. But because I still had you, the pain was bearable. When people asked if I'm okay, I wanted to be able to proudly say, "of course I am! Because I have you."

네가 내 곁에서 있는 덕분에 아픔을 견딜 수가 있다. 주위 사람들은 괜찮느냐고 했을 때 "난 괜찮아 당연하지!"하고 당당하게 대답하고 싶다. 네가 있으니까.

3. 2009 was a killer year. I had school, I had dance competitions, and I had to work. But I because I still had you, I could do anything, everything. 

2009년은 너무 힘들어 죽었겠다. 학교 다니고 춤 대회를 위해 연습하고 또 일하고...근데 네가 있어서 뭐든지 다 할 수 있었다.

4. And then it happened. The doctor told me that my back was badly injured and I was to stop dancing for at least a year. The only reason why I could still stand all... I couldn't see it anymore. 

그리고 나는 다쳤다. 의사는 검진으로 내 등을 심각하게 다친 탓에 1년동안 춤을 추지 말라고 말했으며 나는 무척 헤맸다.

5. I couldn't finish listening to the song, because I couldn't stop crying. I could hear you sing again. 

네가 노래하는 것을 다시 들을 수 있으니까 기분이 좋아지는 데 과연  눈물이 줄줄 흘러서  노래를 끝까지 들을 수 없다.

6. My heart started beating again. I promise to protect you as well as you have protected me. 

힘을 다시 내기 시작해서 네가 나를 지켜주는 만큼 나도 너를 지켜줄 거라고 약속한다.

7. Through all my ups and downs, through all my black and white, I had you. So don't worry, because through all your highs and lows, through all your smiles and tears, you have me too. 

내 인생은 좋을 때나 어려울 때나, 분명할 때나 흐리멍덩할 때나, 나는 네가 언제나 있었다. 그래서 걱정하지 말고  네가 즐겨울 때나 괴로울 때나, 웃을 때나 울 때나, 너도 내가 있다.

8. Even though you don't know me and I don't know you, for you to have been you and for me to be me, there must have been something that was meant to be… right? So no matter how many lifetimes later, if you become a tree, I will be the leaves. If you become a candle flame, I will be the a moth. 

비록 네가 나를 모르고 나도 너를 몰라도 우리는 이렇게 되었더니 인연이 아닐까?...하고 생각했는 데...또다시 태어나도 우리는 천생연분이라고 믿다.

Guest sudu1won

안녕하세요 !

I need help to understand some words that seems to be adjectives ( I mean,  "describing words ,the role of which is to qualify a noun" )

but don't appear to come from descriptive verbs :  무료(의) , 외국(의) , 마지막(의) , 고체의 ,...

what kind of adjectives are this words and how is this 의 particle used ? I can't find anything about them on internet ; the only thing I found

over and over again is that in korean language adjectives derive from descriptive verbs !

의 is similar to that of " 's" or "...of..." in English

e.g. 친구의 얼굴  friend's face

however, 의 is mostly used in written Korean, it is less used in spoken ones because most of the time, 의 is redundant. This is not to say that 의 is useless but if you're not sure how to use it, it's better just not to use it. 

to say 

무료의 입장권 or

무료 입장권

the difference in nuance is very very little.

one more thing, for noun+noun formation, 의 is negligible but for long descriptive sentence+noun formation, 의 is quite useful actually.

other questions I need to ask

- how do you translate so called descriptive nouns from engish ? : ex. "a herd of cows" , " the cable guy"  " the car radio" " Iceman"

- this words are noun or adjectives ? : 최고 , 공짜 .. seems to describe things ex. 이 책은 공짜 ...

- how to make adjectives that ends in "-ed" compared to those who ends in "-ing" ?  ex: bored man vs. boring man

thanks

1) with the exception of "a herd of cows", descriptive nouns in Korean is similar to English 

car radio 차 라디오

now for collective nouns, in Korean it is more common to say it the reverse way i.e. "cows, a herd" or 

소 한 떼 

several books -> books, several 

책 여러 권

2) these words are descriptive nouns.

3) this one is very tricky. the simplest way to do this is using the ~게 하다 / 게 만들다

using your example

a bored man 지루한 사람

a boring man 지루하게 하는 사람 

but this doesn't always work well if you want to sound as natural as possible because it sounds better to say 

재미없는 사람 if you mean "a boring man" instead of saying the mouthful 지루하게 하는 사람

Guest angelynnnnn

Hey hey, I need help translating this text to Korean :) Thanks to whoever is willing to help :) The other party is someone older, so maybe in a formal form? Thanks a lot in advance! :)

It's for a fanvideo competition for TVXQ's Fan Party in Singapore so your help is greatly appreciated :)!

Below is the text:

Angels were brought to Earth.

I was just 13 and liked TVXQ because they were cute.

As I grew, I watched them evolving into greater singers, greater dancers.

The feeling I had for them became love.

Not only aces on the stage, these angels have hearts of gold too!

I respected them.

From cute boys to charismatic men, TVXQ never fail to make my heart skip beats.

Oppas' voices always bring me to a new world. A colourful world of music.

I'll support Oppas in all that you do - albums, musicals and dramas.

Hng, my money :(

Dear TVXQ Oppas, don't stop doing what you love.

Seeing you happy makes us happy too.

Keep in mind that we love you, and that you are never alone.

We will always remain your guardian angels, protecting you.

Whenever you feel tired, just look up to the sky.

Like the stars that cover the night sky, we will always be shining on you.

To me, TVXQ are more than just singers.

They are teachers.

They taught me to never be afraid of falling, and to keep reaching out to my dreams.

TVXQ, keep soaring high.

Cassiopeia and Big East are always by your side.

Guest sudu1won

Hey hey, I need help translating this text to Korean :) Thanks to whoever is willing to help :) The other party is someone older, so maybe in a formal form? Thanks a lot in advance! :)

It's for a fanvideo competition for TVXQ's Fan Party in Singapore so your help is greatly appreciated :)!

Below is the text:

천사강림 동방신기

저는 13살 때 동방신기가 귀여워서 좋아했어요

나이가 먹어가면서 동방신기는 춤과 노래가 훌륭해지는 것을 계속 보았어요

이제 좋아할뿌만 아니라 사랑에 빠졌어요

최고 무대나 친절한 마음이나 다 보여줘서

동방신기는 존경스러워요

귀여운 소년에서 카리스마 넘치는 남자로 변신한 동방신기는 

생각만 해도 가슴이 두근두근해요

오빠들 목소리를 들어볼 때마다 새로운 느낌을 받아요. 마치 화려한 느낌인 것 같아요

앨범, 뮤지컬, 드라마까지 오빠들 뭘하든지 제가 다 응원해줄 거예요

(헉, 돈이 떨어지는 데...ㅠㅠ)

오빠! 사랑하는 것을 그만두지 마요!

오빠들 보기만 하면 우리 팬들이 행복해져요

팬들은 동방신기를 여전히 사랑하니까 오빠들 혼자만 있는 게 절대 아니에요

우리는 수호천사이어서 동방신기를 늘 지켜줄 거예요

오빠들은 어려우면, 피곤하면 그냥 하늘 쳐다 봐봐요!

마치 밤에 수 많은 빛나는  별처럼 우리는 언제나 오빠들한테 비춰 줄 거예요

동방신기는 가수뿐만 아니에요

동방신기는 스승이죠

오빠들은 저에게 실패를 두려워하지 말고 꿈의 갈피를 꼭 잡아야 한다고 가르쳐 줘요

더욱더 높이 날아라, 동방신기!

카시오페아와 비기스트는 오빠들 곁에서 항상 있어요!

I need a little favour if you have a min to spare. I m so madly in love with one item on gmarket and its all written in korean tears.gif. I am sorta having trouble choosing from the list. sweatingbullets.gif x

small-logo.png

Guest dancee.ellx

나는 항상 꿈이 있는 데 내 꿈은 의미가 전혀 없다. 그런데 너를 찾아본 순간 내 꿈의 의미를 찾았다. 이보다 더욱더 행복한 적은 없고 이런 열정한 기분은 처음이다.

비록 네가 나를 모르고 나도 너를 몰라도 우리는 이렇게 되었더니 인연이 아닐까?...하고 생각했는 데...또다시 태어나도 우리는 천생연분이라고 믿다.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE TRANSLATION!!! :D :D :D like altmaer says, it is really nice to know that someone is willing to help us with so much... thank you so much!

Guest sudu1won

Thanks sudu.won ! it's nice to know that on the other side of the planet is someone kind enough to spend time to help us

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE TRANSLATION!!! :D :D :D like altmaer says, it is really nice to know that someone is willing to help us with so much... thank you so much!

you're both welcome :D

Guest lolbin7

Hi guys I really need help to do this conversation in Korean

Girl: Oppa, Let's go to Korea!

Guy: Haiii... but we don't have any money

Girl: How about if we win this singing competition?

Guy: If we win this singing competition, then let's go to Korea.

I'm doing this conversation at the end of our song in a Korean song competition.. so I'm just doing it as a joke =)

Archived