Do You Need Korean Help?

Jaeho

I have a lot of questions; sorry LOL ^^

1. What do the endings 면, 는데, and 으로 mean?

2. How many ways are there to say 'but', and what's the difference between them?

3. What's the difference between 에 and 에서?

4. How do you say "I only speak a little Korean"? I myself am Korean, but I'm going to Korea soon and I know that most people are going to assume I speak Korean and start talking to me in it LOL.

Thank you! ^^

• Replies 19.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yamyams

Hey everyone, I was wondering if there was anyone who could help me translate this to korean? It's for a guy who is one year older than me.

"You must get thousand of messages per day so the possibility of you reading this is slim. It must be tiring everyday right? Hope you are taking well care of your health as well as the other members. Don't get sick and keep on doing what you love! :3 fighting!"

Thank you in advancee!

오빠는 하루에도 수천개의 메세지를 받을테니 이걸 읽을 확률이 높지는 않겠지요. 요즘 매일매일 많이 피곤하시죠? 오빠와 다른 멤버들 모두 건강관리 잘하시길 바래요. 아프지 말고 계속해서 좋은 활동해주세요. ^^ 파이팅!"

I'm a native korean ^^

Guest Crunchies

I'm trying to learn Korean, and there are some confusing grammar parts I don't really understand.

♥ What's the difference between 이게 and 이건?

♥ '오빠 있어요.

오빠 회사원이에요.'

Why is the second '오빠' noun isn't attach to '-가' but '-는' instead? What's the difference?

Guest Clarasaur

Hello again!

I've written a script for a short skit a couple of classmates and I are doing for our Korean 101 class...and there's a few sentences I'm not sure about. 

It's a group of friends talking to each other, so for starters, I wanted to know if I should drop the '-요' ending from all of the verbs...and is it okay to have it on some verbs and not have it on others if it's just between friends? :/

Also, I'm unsure about the English to Korean translations for these sentences, so if someone could translate them for me / fix the sentences I've come up with, that would so awesome. <3 Especially because we have to perform this in two days. ;~;

1) "He broke up with me" ... which I currently have as "나는그에게차였어요". This is me saying this to a friend.

2) "I thought we were going shopping!" ... which I have written as "난 우리가 쇼핑을가는 줄 알았는데?". Again, me saying this to a friend.

3) "We saw a cute guy so we followed him to school" ...I have no idea how to write this one.

Guest sudu1won

Hello again!

I've written a script for a short skit a couple of classmates and I are doing for our Korean 101 class...and there's a few sentences I'm not sure about. 

It's a group of friends talking to each other, so for starters, I wanted to know if I should drop the '-요' ending from all of the verbs...and is it okay to have it on some verbs and not have it on others if it's just between friends? :/

Also, I'm unsure about the English to Korean translations for these sentences, so if someone could translate them for me / fix the sentences I've come up with, that would so awesome. <3 Especially because we have to perform this in two days. ;~;

yes you can drop the 요 but since this is a skit for Korean 101 class, it's better to ask your teacher on what she/he wants for this skit...whether he/she wants it to be as natural as possible or he/she wants you to follow the conjugation rules for learning sake. Your teacher's opinion matters most especially if this skit is going to be assessed and given marks.

1) "He broke up with me" ... which I currently have as "나는그에게차였어요". This is me saying this to a friend.

2) "I thought we were going shopping!" ... which I have written as "난 우리가 쇼핑을가는 줄 알았는데?". Again, me saying this to a friend.

3) "We saw a cute guy so we followed him to school" ...I have no idea how to write this one.

1) 남자 친구와 헤어졌어 or 우리 헤어졌어 if it is known that you have a boyfriend already...차이다 is used for completely different situation...헤어지다 is used for 'break up' here

2) 나는 우리가 쇼핑 가는 줄 알았는 데? sounds okay

3)  정말 멋진 남자를 봐서 학교까지 따라갔어

is it okay if i ask anybody here who is proficient in korean to help translate a star's interview?

I have been dying to know what he is talking about!

yeah just post it up here and wait for a reply...the longer the text, the longer you have to wait though because it takes time to translate

I'm trying to learn Korean, and there are some confusing grammar parts I don't really understand.

♥ What's the difference between 이게 and 이건?

♥ '오빠 있어요.

오빠 회사원이에요.'

Why is the second '오빠' noun isn't attach to '-가' but '-는' instead? What's the difference?

이게 = 이것이 

이건 = 이것은

오빠가 있어요 I have an oppa (at this point no one knows you have an oppa so you use 가 to introduce him and the fact that 있다 is always used with 이/가)

오빠는 회사원이에요 He is an office worker (at this point, you're talking about your oppa you introduced before i.e you're making him as a topic about your sentence, so you use 는)

I noticed something weird going on when I tried listening closely to music, but I didn't know there were actually rules. I just thought it was my untrained ears being dumb -__-.

but wow thank you so much! i'm practicing that paper thing (only when my roommate isnt here... i figure i look pretty dorky hahaah).

You're welcome :)

Yeah there are rules on pronunciation...some consonants change sounds at certain position in a syllable but take one step at a time

you'll get to that point later on.

Guest Rita1430281860

Hi there. I was wondering if someone can tell me what this means: "DAEBAK!!"

Since it's not written in Korean I can't really use google translate. lol And now I'm not so sure it's Korean. 

Guest sudu1won

Hi there. I was wondering if someone can tell me what this means: "DAEBAK!!"

Since it's not written in Korean I can't really use google translate. lol And now I'm not so sure it's Korean. 

대박 means something like 'it's awesome!', 'great!'

^^^^^ Thank you so much

i'm dying to know what lee hyun woo's talking about! he's such an adorable person!

there are three parts in total, so can anybody help me briefly translate it?

THANK YOU SO MUCH <3 damnnnn i wish i knew korean. i'm going to sign up for a course soon!

meanwhile, i will have to rely on you pros out there!

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Hi!! I've just finished watching "the princess' man" drama and fall in love with its soundtrack, especially the background music:x:x:x I ordered the album in yesasia but the tracklist is in korean :tears: I've tried to use google to translate it to english but some track (like track 11 or 18) are difficult to judge the meaning :wacko: Could u guys pls help me translate them, here are the link: The Princess' Man OST

Thank u so much!!!

Guest sudu1won

Hi!! I've just finished watching "the princess' man" drama and fall in love with its soundtrack, especially the background music:x:x:x I ordered the album in yesasia but the tracklist is in korean :tears: I've tried to use google to translate it to english but some track (like track 11 or 18) are difficult to judge the meaning :wacko: Could u guys pls help me translate them, here are the link: The Princess' Man OST

Thank u so much!!!

01. Even today, I love you

02. One day of love

03. If the day comes

04. literally 여원여모 means "it feels like resentment but it feels like love too" or in other words, "I hate you but I still love you" but to summarize that, "resent you, love you" sounds quite fine

05. Good bye, my love

06. I'll be waiting

07. Missing you

08. Flowers of tears

09. Yearning

10. Fly

11. I will reach out for you

12. Destiny

13. There's no turning back

14. End

15. And I will love you again

16. Gather up hopes (wish to the winds)

17. Colors of flowers (꽃물 literally means 'flower dyes' but poetically, it's used to symbolize the many colors)

18. In spite of a long bleak wait

19. A love that won't go away

20. Laden with yearning

sudu.won - You are such a life saver! Thanks so much!

no sweat! 

...you're welcome btw :D

Guest sudu1won

@sudu.won: Thank for your kindness :wub:

Just figured out I totally misinterpret track 16 and 17, i thought 바람 means wind and 꽃물 means flowers on the water :sweatingbullets:

yes 바람 does mean wind but it means hopes and dreams too...the title is actually a play of words

there's a saying 바람을 모아 바람이 된다, literally it means "gather the winds and they'll become hopes and dreams" or in simpler and more poetic terms, "wish to the winds"

the 물 in 꽃물 here refers to 물감 which means "paint/dye"

and just a trivia, 꽃물 is usually used as nail color :]

...and you're welcome~

okay everyone else's questions but mine were answered, so I'll try again haha:

2. How many ways are there to say 'but', and what's the difference between them?

4. How do you say "I only speak a little Korean"? I myself am Korean, but I'm going to Korea soon and I know that most people are going to assume I speak Korean and start talking to me in it LOL.

Thank you! ^^

Guest baehyun

okay everyone else's questions but mine were answered, so I'll try again haha:

Thank you! ^^

My Korean;s pretty mediocre too lol but those questions are pretty simple

1. A) 면 can mean if, ie "내일 오면 좋겠어요/I'd like it if you came tomorrow" or sometimes it means for time "5 월 있으면 내 생일이예요/My birthday is in 5 months"

B) 는데 is sort of like "but." However its mostly just implying that theres more information behind the statement "가고 싫은데.../I don't want to go...(but I have to/because your cute ect.)" Youll need to work with he context for this one

C)로 means "by means of." "기차로 가요/I go by(means of the) train" "연필으로 써 봐요/Try to use a pencil(Try to write my means of a pencil)"

2. The different buts are pretty reliant on context :/ they all mean about the same so you won't be unintelligible whichever you use. 근데 is 그렇*는데* which means "Its like that(but/because/and)" 하지만 sounds more formal to me and is more of "However" those are the two most comment I use, but 는데 can be used as a sort of but too.

3. 에 usually to where "작년 한국에 갔어요/lit.I went to Korea last year" whereas 에서 means more where the action is taking place "작년 한국에서 갔어요/I went in to Korea last year." Korea is no longer where you went to but the place where your traveling in.

4. (제가) 한국말을 잘 못해요 = Can't speak Korean well. (제가)조금만 한국말을 할 수 있어요=I can only speak a little Korean. And a phrase I find very handy in Korean 미국에서 태어났어서/살아서=Because I was born in America/live in America... (some things I've said ) I called you a gramma when your a man/I picked up my bowl/I used banmal too soon/I'm afraid of your horrible driving ect.

Guest lollipopluv

hi :3

can someone please translate+romanize this for me? Please and thank you!! :3

Speaking to a close friend but i want it to be formal;

thanks so much in advanced!! this is for a fanfic of mines :3

1. I get the best feeling in the world when you say hi to me, or even smile, because I know even if just for a second, I crossed your mind

2. I wish to stop thinking so much.

3. Can't we just talk without you walking away?

4. Chandler, you're a good friend.

5. Dylan, you are a talented dancer!

6. My friend Lion, we're on the same boat here.

[an actual lion btw]

Guest kounyia

Can someone translate this for me?

It's the quote from IU's photo teaser

Formally translated please :)

also, romanize it!! ^^ thanks!

Thanks so much!!

If you blink, you become an adult

Guest sudu1won

Can someone translate this for me?

It's the quote from IU's photo teaser

Formally translated please :)

also, romanize it!! ^^ thanks!

Thanks so much!!

If you blink, you become an adult

well, in IU's own words, she said

눈 깜박하면 어른이 될거예요

hi :3

can someone please translate+romanize this for me? Please and thank you!! :3

Speaking to a close friend but i want it to be formal;

thanks so much in advanced!! this is for a fanfic of mines :3

1. I get the best feeling in the world when you say hi to me, or even smile, because I know even if just for a second, I crossed your mind

2. I wish to stop thinking so much.

3. Can't we just talk without you walking away?

4. Chandler, you're a good friend.

5. Dylan, you are a talented dancer!

6. My friend Lion, we're on the same boat here.

[an actual lion btw]

1. 네가 나에게 안녕이라고 말할 때 아니면 빙긋 웃어 줄 때 내 마음이 정말 뿌듯해. 왜냐하면 내가 네 머릿속을 잠깐이라도 스쳐갔다는 걸 난 깨달았기 때문이야.

2. 너무 고민하지 않았으면 좋겠다.

3. 우리는 너 걸어나가지 않고 얘기할 수 없을까 제발?

4. 챈들러야, 넌 역시 좋은 친구야

5. 딜런이야, 넌 춤을 정말 잘 춰!

6. ??? by saying "on the same boat" do you mean it literally? or do you mean it as an idiom?

Archived