Choi Kang Hee (Protect The Boss)

Soo Ae (1000 Day's Promise)

Vote Here

Please Help Vote Here !!!

Thank you, 71e...

Voted for all

Added episode 20 captures for the Korean drama 'A Thousand Days' Promise'

photo213555.jpg

Added last episode 20 captures for the Korean drama "A Thousand Days' Promise" (2011)

Directed by Jeong Eul-yeong

Written by Kim Su-hyun

Network : SBS

With Kim Rae-won, Soo-ae, Lee Sang-woo, Jeong Yoo-mi, Im Chae-moo, Kim Hae-sook,...

20 episodes - Mon, Tue 21:55

Synopsis

A drama about deep love created by writer Kim Su-hyun and producer Jeong Eul-yeong once again a year after "Life is Beautiful".

Previously known as "Forget Me Not" (물망초 , Mool-mang-cho)

Broadcast starting date in Korea : 2011/10/17

photo213554.jpg

Source : www.hancinema.net/kor... ( English Korean )

I know I will be on the floor crying too, whenever I get to see these with English subs....

Guest dramaok

I just noticed I skipped a couple of poems that occur in episode 14, around the half-way point when SY and JH are walking on the beach.

The first one, beginning "On a whale's back I will pitch a red tent/ and sail the East Sea's length and breadth" has me totally stumped. I've no idea of who wrote it or how it goes in full.

she recited in full.

고래 등에 빨간 천막을 치고

-박목월-

고래 등에 빨간

천막을 치고

동해바다 한 바퀴

돌아 봤으면.

밀려오는 파도머리에

올라서서

우쭐거리며 한 바퀴

둘러 봤으면.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Mok-wol

I just noticed I skipped a couple of poems that occur in episode 14, around the half-way point when SY and JH are walking on the beach.

But the second poem, immediately following on, takes us back to familiar anthology territory (meaning it will ring a bell with many Korean viewers who may be able to supply the parts that SY can't recall) and it's maybe more significant dramatically both for its theme and because it shows SY's memory failing her yet again, though she tries to make light of it" "It's not like I had to learn it for homework, after all" she jokes.

The poem is called 바다에 오는 이유 (Why I've come to the sea) by 이생진 (Lee Saengjin). Born in Seogang, Chungnam Province, in 1929, he spent his working life as a teacher at a Seoul junior high school, publishing poems mainly evoking the moods and landscapes of Korea's many islands. In 2001, in somewhat belated recognition of his seventieth birthday, he was made an honorary citizen of Jeju Island Province (which is of course where SY and JH are honeymooning).

As well as being unable to recall the final lines of the poem, SY skips a line earlier on (though this may be because it's a bit disconcerting, given current environmental concerns, which weren't so prominent in Korea when the poem was written) As before, I've put the parts she doesn't recite in square brackets, in the Korean text and in my translated version.

바다에 오는 이유 ㅡ 이생진

누군가를 만나러 온 것이 아니다

모두 버리려 왔다

[몇점의 가구와 한쪽으로

기울어진 안장과]

내 나이와 이름을 버리고

나도 물처럼 떠 있고 싶어서 왔다

바다는 부자

하늘도 가지고

배도 가지고

갈매기도 가지고

[그대로 무엇이 부족한지

날마다 칭얼거리니]

Why I've come to the sea.

I did not come to meet anyone.

I came to cast everything away.

[Along with bits of furniture and a sagging bike saddle]

to jettison the years I've lived and my name

so I can flow boundlessly as the water does,

that's why I came.

[The sea sustains buoys and the sky

And boats and gulls,

So why fret daily over things we lack?]

For fans following Baduy's commentary while watching the poem occurs at about 30:06 in Episode 14.

Once again, thank you Baduy.

Do anyone of you here remember in which episode they met again for the first time in an art gallery? :

Episode 5, around 32 minutes in.

she recited in full.

고래 등에 빨간 천막을 치고

-박목월-

고래 등에 빨간

천막을 치고

동해바다 한 바퀴

돌아 봤으면.

밀려오는 파도머리에

올라서서

우쭐거리며 한 바퀴

둘러 봤으면.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Mok-wol

Many thanks for this. Now my Christmas needn't be spent thumbing the pages of my second-hand book collection (having failed to come up with this poem on the Internet)

Here's my translation:

On a whale's back I'd like to pitch a red tent

And sail the East Sea all around.

Head held high above the foaming waves,

From horizon to horizon I'd proudly sweep my gaze.

I just finished the series. It's the saddest series since I'm Sorry I love You. It reminds me a lot of the movie A moment to remember(the first korean movie i ever saw), which is still my fav movie. I loved the series..

I'm happy that they didn't show

how she died, because i don't think i could've take it

:(.

Anyway, it's on top of my list now.

To me this drama is one of my favorites of all time. I cried so much for the last episode. So well done in every way . I have a new favorite actor in KRW who has taken the place of SSH and EOE.......The love is so believable even though it is a drama...if all of us could love like this the world would be so much better. Bravo to the entire production and a big thanks for all of you with your insight that helped to make this an enjoyable couple of months.

I just finished watching the drama last night... I cannot stop thinking of it.. what an amazing drama.. You are right, Tendoclan, about Bravo to the production team... the writer.. the actors..

Kim Rae-won has been my favorite actor ever since I have seen Gourmet (I then went back to watch anything else I could find with him...) I am so glad he was paired here with the incredible Soo Ae...

What incredible love he has.. Even when she can no longer remember or understand.. Always treating her with dignity, love and respect...

We get a sense of the passing of time... since the child was a toddler when she went to his parents.. and a young child at the grave site...

Years that were difficult, and yet he took them with love and gratitude being next to the woman he loved... What devotion by a man to his wife...

I am going to go back now and read baduy's comments about the last two episodes... And Thanks you once again for those...!

closeupcentrepice2.jpg

I know everything has to end, but somehow I have a mixed feeling watching the ending. It’s like I wanted to watch I’m curious to know what happens and also don’t want to see it because then it means the end. My curiosity wins.

I feel like these two last episodes is all about JiHyung and probably that all I might just remember about this drama. I can feel his caring for her in these two is much more than what I have seen, not that he didn’t care for her, but I didn’t get much of his expression then.

I'm SO GLAD JiHyung did not end up with HyangGi!

I’m GLAD that the writer stays true to the synopsis of the story and no funny businesses.

SeoYeon's dying is the inevitable. I expected that one. BUT I'm relieved that she didn't kill herself!

SO SAD that we lost SeoYeon so quickly, and that she doesn’t remember JiHyung anymore. She remembers Moon Kwon though. So does that mean she loves Moon Kwon more?!

You have to cry for JiHyung. You can feel that SeoYeon is slipping out of his hands and he can’t do anything about it. Alzheimer is one ugly disease. It’s so hard for the people who look after them. Thinking about it I thought all the nurses are all SAINTS. You need great love to stay together like that. In reality probably there’s no one like JiHyung. So JiHyung’s love is the Greatest Love!

Also SAD that SeoYeon didn’t even has one kiss or shows some caring to her child. We know she’s afraid of holding her for she might drop her. But a bit caring for her daughter when she was some time conscious was too much to ask? Doesn’t she love her child? What would she want to leave behind for her daughter to remember her as?

I’m curious about her daughter’s name – does it have any significant meaning?

And I don't understand why Seoyeon is so obsessed with brushing her teeth and washing herself too often? Is there some deep meaning behind there somewhere?

I find this drama is hard to understand. I feel like very word is spoken has some other meaning with it which I don’t get most of the time and only understand within my limit.

seoyeonbroken.jpg

jihyungtears2.jpg

e191.jpg

and another sad poem ...

e19poem.jpg

Watching E19, who else find the scene between 19:00 – 19:30 jumps a bit abruptly doesn’t flow smoothly? I find it a bit odd. They could have lingered on a bit longer when he said he loves her or something... (Overwork PD team?)

e201.jpg

And who else think the two of them should team up again in a romantic comedy? Yes, No, no way, not likely, no chance? Probably no chance!

P.S I only support SeoYeon and JiHyung because I’m bias toward Rae Won and Soo Ae. Personally, they are morally WRONG in my view. They should not come together in the first place!

Are we having enough tears already? Let's have some laughter! Looking forward to Salaryman...

@ TRAN

"SO SAD that we lost SeoYeon so quickly, and that she doesn’t remember JiHyung anymore. She remembers Moon Kwon though. So does that mean she loves Moon Kwon more?! "

"And I don't understand why Seoyeon is so obsessed with brushing her teeth and washing herself too often?  Is there some deep meaning behind there somewhere?"

SY remembers MK longer because she has more neural connections in her brain: she (her brain) has interacted with him for all of his lifetime - 27 years, I think? - and in very complex ways, since she sistered and mothered him - so there are a lot of neural connections, and probably a lot of duplicate ones. So as her brain deteriorates, she still has connections left over for him after others' neural connections have degenerated.

She brushes and washes often because she doesn't remember that she already has done it - a common symptom of Alzheimer's.

I wasn't satisfied with the ending. I think It would be better if there was one more episode to know/show how & when she died. And also how her beloved family coped with the loss, how they went on with each other life after she's gone.

But, anyway, it was a sad drama that I liked besides Stairway to heaven & 90 days to love :((

I wasn't satisfied with the ending. I think It would be better if there was one more episode to know/show how & when she died. And also how her beloved family coped with the loss, how they went on with each other life after she's gone.

But, anyway, it was a sad drama that I liked besides Stairway to heaven & 90 days to love :((

For me the ending is fine, we all know all the people who love her will cry their hearts out like when they discovered she's got Alzheimer. So we don't need to see again. We can imagine that one. And how she died? Probably died peacefully from one of those heart attack or pneumonia that her doctor told her in earlier episode we saw. The only thing I wish it could have done is the last scene where JiHyung holding her crying. I wish it could be a bit longer and bit more hard crying from JiHyung.

The drama was a fairly accurate, although compressed in time, depiction of the progress of Alzheimer's. Loss of memory always starts with the most recent memories and over time older and older memories disappear, with the last to go, the earliest childhood memories. It is as though those childhood memories are "hard wired into the brain". In the earlier stages, the mere lapses of memory are readily dismissed by the person or those around her as absent mindedness or being too busy or "multi-tasking." The psychologists gauge the disease's progress by determining what decade of her life the person is currently locked in. This is why she eventually remembers Moon Kwan but not Ji Hyung-- she's known her brother since she was a child. The disease progresses both through the cerebral cortex (where we think) through other parts of the brain -- this is why the patient eventually loses control of bladder and bowel control.

The drama was very effective in depicting the effect of the disease on the psyche of the person suffering from it as well as those around her. For example, in the scene in which she tries to protect her closet from a clothing thief. The person suffering from Alzheimer's can't recognize her own clothing or where she left it last. So something is "missing" and the logical explanation is that someone took it, not that she can't remember where she left it or what it looks like.

The progression through the disease may not be lock step for various functions -- between cognition and social behavior, for example. The person suffering from the disease may not be able to read anymore, but knows somehow that reading is important in society -- thus they may spend a long time looking at a newspaper or a book, even though the newspaper is upside down. They may forget where the car is, but having learned to drive in her teen years, they may still be able to go through the mechanical skills required to drive a car. In many civilized societies, driving is a car is an expression of independence, and it is frightening that a large number of Alzheimer's patients in the U.S. still drive!

Expressions of rage are common -- this is a prevalent reason why the caregiver decides to institutionalize the patient. Caregivers have said they did not mind having to care for the patient as though she were an infant, but could not pyschologically deal with the expression of rage against them.

Her early efforts in reciting the names of authors and reciting poetry is interesting because some studies show that people who "exercise" their minds with "word games" may be less likely to develop , or have slower progress in Alzheimer's. Whether this is mere correlation or causality is not known,

:w00t:

Hoho ~~ TRAN~ ^^ ... really really glad to see you back ~~ :lol:

hope you & everyone had a very Merry X'mas & very Happy Holidays ~~~~ ea987218.gif

Xmas_SantaClausPrince.gif

O... its the 26th already ... why SBS still hasnt announced the nomination list for the Best Actor / Actress Award & Daesang yet ?? :unsure::huh:

2011 SBS Drama Awards ---- VOTING begins 12/20 - 12/31 8:00 pm.

--- 1 vote per day

The Awards show will be held Dec 31 9:50 p.m. ~~~

VOTE Rae Won & Soo Ae for Netizens Popularity Award ~~~~ th_image_baidu_sweet5.gif

+ Rae Won+Soo Ae for Best Couple Award ~~~~

SBS page to vote ------ th_image_congrats.gif **You need to register to vote......

http://wizard2.sbs.co.kr/w3/template/tpl_iframetype.jsp?vVodId=V0000358136&vProgId=1000753&vMenuId=1016169

*you can register as foreigner ----- ;)

https://sbscert.sbs....ew_join_frm.jsp/

2011_Promise_SBSDramaAwards_1.jpg

fr SBS

Call me nuts . . . :blink:

I went and complied the comments related to Baduy's Poetry Corner into one file and uploaded it to MU:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AJN0KA3Q

(My apologies if I overlooked any comment.  It took me two days to sort through 51 pages.  So, it's possible that I missed a comment or two.)  :wacko:

If Baduy's comments had been in a syllabus for our reference, it would have made watching this drama so much more insightful.

Enjoy.  :)

Archived